PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Ginobili can't save Popovich from ejection

some_user86
03-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Spurs notebook: Ginobili can't save Popovich from ejection

Web Posted: 03/07/2008 12:08 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili filled the stat sheet with 28 points, five rebounds, three assists and, yes, five turnovers in Thursday night's 108-97 victory over Indiana.

What Gregg Popovich could have used most from his Argentine guard was a save.

Ginobili tried to intervene after Popovich picked up a technical for arguing a no-call in the second quarter, teaming with assistant Don Newman to try and keep his head coach away from referee Mark Wunderlich. The interference proved ineffective, and Popovich quickly drew a second technical and automatic ejection.

“I tried to block him out,” %Ginobili joked after the game. “I could have done better.”

Popovich's early exit was only sign of the fireworks to come.

With 1:23 left in the third quarter, Indiana coach Jim O'Brien got halfway to an ejection himself, drawing a technical foul himself. In the fourth, Indiana's Troy Murphy picked up a flagrant foul after a take-down of Ime Udoka.

Then came the biggest explosion.

With 25.6 seconds left in a game that had been long since decided, Indiana's David Harrison, who earlier in the quarter had taken an elbow from Bonner, turned to an official and declared, “I'm going to (expletive) kill him.”

That drew a technical foul for Harrison, who was immediately removed from the game. Harrison spent the next several seconds staring at Bonner before Indiana officials sent him to the locker room for medical treatment.

“It surprised me, it looked like the game was over and it started to get a little rough,” Ginobili said. “But everyone is competing and I know that if I was 20 points down in a game, I'd compete to get it closer, too.”

Sampson in town: Kelvin Sampson, whose forced resignation at Indiana last month as for the time being derailed his collegiate coaching career, has resurfaced in San Antonio.

Sampson, a friend of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's, has been in town observing the Spurs in games and practices this week. He and Popovich have known each other since serving together on George Karl's Team USA staff at the 2002 FIBA World Championships in Indianapolis.

“He's a buddy,” Popovich said. “He's here and we're having fun together, and learning from each other. I want him to look at us, and if he's got a good suggestion, then great.”

Sampson, who was asked to step down at Indiana after the NCAA alleged five major recruiting violations, has an open-ended invitation to stick around with the Spurs for as long as he wants, Popovich said.

Tough road behind: The Pacers, meanwhile, polished off the worst kind of Texas two-step.

On Wednesday night, they helped Houston extend its winning streak to a franchise-best 16 games. On Thursday, they helped the Spurs inflate their season-best winning streak to 11.

“Clearly, playing both the Rockets and the Spurs is a very hard challenge for us right now,” Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. “We just didn't have what it took to get things done.”

[email protected]

Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030708.04C.SPURS_notebook_0307.en.130fa19.html

SpursFanFirst
03-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Spurs notebook: Ginobili can't save Popovich from ejection

Web Posted: 03/07/2008 12:08 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Then came the biggest explosion.

With 25.6 seconds left in a game that had been long since decided, Indiana's David Harrison, who earlier in the quarter had taken an elbow from Bonner, turned to an official and declared, “I'm going to (expletive) kill him.”

That drew a technical foul for Harrison, who was immediately removed from the game. Harrison spent the next several seconds staring at Bonner before Indiana officials sent him to the locker room for medical treatment.

Bonner better watch his back...As their criminal records would indicate.when the Pacers make threats, they normally carry them out...

Bianconera
03-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Manu just loves it when Pop goes mad at the team.
He get much strength from Pop's shouts!!! ;-)

WalterBenitez
03-07-2008, 05:40 AM
“I tried to block him out,” %Ginobili joked after the game. “I could have done better.”

That's why Manu would never be as good as Bruce, Bowen could blocked POP better :nerd

sa_butta
03-07-2008, 08:06 AM

That's why Manu would never be as good as Bruce, Bowen could blocked POP better :nerdManu probably got reemed at halftime.

Sausage
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
lol David Harrison. Hopefully that warrants a big fine for him.

Hopefully Kelvin Sampson can get a job with the Spurs. He'd be a great recruiter. Just give him a phone and unlimited text messaging, and we'll be champs for a long time.

ancestron
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
David Harrison is a piece of shit.

samikeyp
03-07-2008, 09:53 AM
lol David Harrison. Hopefully that warrants a big fine for him.

Hopefully Kelvin Sampson can get a job with the Spurs. He'd be a great recruiter. Just give him a phone and unlimited text messaging, and we'll be champs for a long time.

:lol

Just include one of those unlimited text plans in his contract!

:smokin

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Had no idea Sampson was a friend of Popovich's. Very interesting.

Holt's Cat
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Of course the Spurs sign up a domestic scout who has no other job prospects at the moment.

Still, he'd probably do a better job at figuring out which NCAA talent is worth passing on and which talent should be drafted than RC.

ChumpDumper
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Of course the Spurs sign up a domestic scout who has no other job prospects at the moment.The Spurs hired Pat Riley?

SenorSpur
03-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Had no idea Sampson was a friend of Popovich's. Very interesting.

With those kinds of connections, you'd think the Spurs wouldn't be so historicially inept and ignorant when it comes to scouting domestic college players.

MoSpur
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I thought Harrison was a big joke last night.

duncan228
03-07-2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/SPORTS04/803070447\

Tantrum follows loss
Pacers' Harrison, hit with technical late in game, erupts afterward

By Mike Wells
[email protected]

SAN ANTONIO -- The Indiana Pacers lost another game Thursday, 108-97 to the San Antonio Spurs, and their already bizarre season took another unexpected turn.

Emotional center David Harrison was hit with a technical foul late in the fourth quarter and suffered a meltdown inside the locker room after the game, according to several Pacers players.

Harrison, who was unavailable for comment, received medical attention following the game. A Pacers team member immediately shut the training room door when media members walked near that area.

Harrison's frustration stemmed from a hit in the face he received from Spurs forward Matt Bonner with less than a minute remaining in the game. Bonner was called for an offensive foul on the play.

Clearly frustrated after the play, Harrison, who has battled problems with his emotions throughout his four-year career, had to be told to calm down by his teammates on numerous occasions. He picked up a technical for reportedly making threatening remarks about Bonner to an official.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien immediately took Harrison out of the game, but the Pacers center didn't stop there.

Harrison stood near the bench, still mouthing expletives in Bonner's direction on the court. Troy Murphy stood in front of Harrison to make sure he didn't do anything drastic, and injured point guard Jamaal Tinsley was trying to get Harrison to calm down.

Harrison was finally told to go to the locker room by an undetermined Pacers member in the final seconds of the game.

"I subbed for him and somebody on the bench made a decision to send him to the locker room; it wasn't me," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said before Harrison's blowup came to light. "You shouldn't get technical fouls if you're David Harrison. I subbed for him, so his night was over."

Harrison's blowup is just another of numerous signs of the Pacers' immaturity on and off the court. He was suspended five games earlier this season for failing his third drug test. Harrison was also fined by the team for breaking his picture in the hallway that leads to the Pacers' locker room at Conseco Fieldhouse during the 2005-06 season.
Harrison's latest incident adds to the number of problems the Pacers are dealing with as they try to remain in playoff contention.

They're pointing fingers at each other for mistakes made on the court and they're trying to play one-on-one basketball.

As bad as they've played, the Pacers somehow remain only 21/2 games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with 20 games remaining.

"Throwing physical age out the door, this is a young group mentally, especially without guys like Jamaal and Jermaine (O'Neal), who have been through some wars," Pacers small forward Mike Dunleavy said. "Mentally we need to stay with it. Basically that's what I would say without going into too much detail."

Bruno
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Pop isn't happy because Spurs are winning too much lately.
Losses will help him to send his last messages to players before the playoffs.

m33p0
03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
people, ie harrison, ought to be reminded that matt bonner was a professional boxer before he became a professional basketball player. i don't care how emotionally unstable he is, the red rocket can put the hurt in people. when they say the red rocket throws some bricks, that's what it really means.

Cry Havoc
03-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Am I the only one who sees something extremely disturbing about that? I do not think the NBA should take this in stride. Fine and suspend him for 5 or 6 games. That kind of talk should never, ever be tolerated in a professional sports venue.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Am I the only one who sees something extremely disturbing about that? I do not think the NBA should take this in stride. Fine and suspend him for 5 or 6 games. That kind of talk should never, ever be tolerated in a professional sports venue.
Isiah got away with it, why shouldn't a scrub on a lottery team?