PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Pacers Mar. 7

timvp
03-07-2008, 05:02 AM
To extend their winning streak to 11 games, the Spurs ate the cupcake of a team that showed up at the AT&T Center on Thursday. The Indiana Pacers, who never really put up much of a fight, were simply overmatched by the Spurs. If the two teams played 100 straight games, I’m pretty confident in the Spurs winning all 100.

The Pacers are a team that plays little defense but will try to outscore you. Problem is the Spurs just put up points at will and then have the defenders needed to slow down the perimeter players on Indiana. Pacers’ head coach Jim O’Brien would have had a better chance if he had taken a wet noodle to a gun fight.

Between yawns, the Spurs gave enough effort to cruise to a 108-97 victory. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili got whatever they wanted and the Pacers were powerless to stop Los Spurs foreign legion.

Overall, the only thing to take from this game was the victory. The Spurs brought a C effort and easily won the game. The win was nice but with the brutal upcoming schedule, there isn’t much time to be happy about winning 11 straight.

-Tim Duncan had his third poor game over the span of his last four contests. He finished with six points, 12 rebounds and three turnovers, while shooting 3-for-11 from the floor. One of the main problems for Duncan was a lack of respect from the whistles. Duncan only had one free throw attempt on the night and was routinely pushed off of his position on the low block. Hopefully this lack of whistle respect doesn’t carry into the playoffs. I thought Duncan’s overall effort and energy was decent. He missed a couple of shots he usually makes and was a bit sloppy with the ball. With this rough stretch of games the Spurs are about to enter, hopefully Duncan can overcome whatever is ailing him and be the force the Spurs need him to be to win against good teams.

-Manu Ginobili had a very good game. He scored 28 effortless points on 10-for-13 shooting from the field. Ginobili poured in a lot of his buckets in the lane but did mix in a couple of beautiful mid-range shots. His only negatives on the night were his five turnovers but those can be forgiven for how well he played overall. Ginobili has to chuckle at night when thinking about how the coaches kept him off the All-Star team.

-Tony Parker played well in his 27 minutes of action. The Pacers had no hope of slowing him down as he finished with 19 points, five assists and three steals. Parker hit 6-of-8 field goal attempts but only 6-of-10 free throws. Free throws have been a trouble spot for Parker since his return from injury but his form at the line is starting to look better. With the Spurs playing so many games in such limited time over the next week and a half, the health of Parker’s ankle will be put to the test.

-Bruce Bowen had a quiet game but he was effective while he was out there. He led the team in plus/minus with a +19 and did a good job on Mike Dunleavy. Dunleavy had scored 36 points in a game twice over the last week but was held to 13 points in 31 minutes against the Spurs. Bowen himself finished with eight points, four rebounds and two assists on 2-for-5 shooting from the field (2-of-3 on three-pointers). Over his last seven games, Bowen is shooting 55% (11-for-20) on three-pointers.

-Kurt Thomas started his third consecutive game at center and did a fine job. In 27 minutes, Thomas had eight points, six rebounds and a steal, while shooting 3-for-5 from the field. He seems to already have nice chemistry with Ginobili, however his high-low passing to Duncan needs work. His defense was solid and the Spurs are now averaging 50 rebounds per game as a team in games that Thomas starts.

-In the Game Thoughts from the previous game against the Nets (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88784), I said that Pop might start Matt Bonner in this game. Although Bonner didn’t start, he did play more than Duncan and anyone off the bench. While I only being half serious, I guess Pop decided to play along. The increase in minutes had to be quite a surprise for Bonner seeing as he had barely played in the last month. His 25 minutes on Thursday were the most minutes he has played since he had 25 points and 17 rebounds against the Golden State Warriors on December 11th. In fact, he played more against the Pacers than the previous 14 games combined. To Bonner’s credit, he actually played well. He has apparently kept himself in game shape and went out there and competed at a high level. Bonner finished with 15 points, four rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot, while hitting 6-of-13 shots from the field. It was good see that Bonner is still ready and able even though he’s now buried on the bench. Any team in the NBA would love to have a fifth bigman as good as Bonner.

-Although Michael Finley is in a bit of a shooting slump, he’s showing signs of breaking out of it. Against the Pacers, Finley scored 12 points and pulled down five boards, while shooting 3-for-11 from the field and 2-for-4 from beyond the arc. He was still hesitating on his jumpers but it wasn’t as bad as recent games. The Spurs will need him to knock down shots in their upcoming stretch.

-Ime Udoka continues his streaky shooting ways. For a few games in a row, it seems like he’ll never miss an open shot again. Then he’ll have a game like he did against the Pacers where he goes 1-for-5. Game to game, it’s impossible to know whether Udoka is going to be red hot or ice cold. He compounded his poor shooting by being a little lazy on defense a couple of possessions. For the game, he had four points and five rebounds in 21 minutes. His rebounding continues to be a bright spot for the Spurs.

-Fabricio Oberto had a rare good game off the bench. He had six points, three rebounds and two assists in 15 minutes, while hitting all three of his field goal attempts. The six points were a season-high for Oberto in games he didn’t start. If he can play this well off the bench, it’ll be easier for Pop to consider starting Thomas.

-Damon Stoudamire played 14 minutes and once again struggled with his shooting. Out of his five attempts, he only found cord once. He also turned the ball over four times. While it’d be easy to blame Stoudamire, he’s actually just following Pop’s orders. Pop has instructed Stoudamire to be more aggressive in creating his own shots. Stoudamire is attempting to follow those orders – with less than fantastic results.

-Jacque Vaughn played 12 minutes in which he hustled continuously, as is usually the case. He didn’t do anything too good or too bad but was once again a better option than this new gunning version of Stoudamire. It appears as if Vaughn is in line to become the full-time backup point guard yet again.

-Robert Horry didn’t play. I can’t even confirm if he stayed awake during the game.

-Pop made the highlight reels when he charged the court and got ejected in the second quarter. He was peeved due to a few no calls on plays involving Duncan, Thomas and Ginobili – in that order. As far as ejections go, Pop definitely deserves style points for cutting to the chase and just going out onto the floor to get the heave-ho.

Mike Budenholzer took over for Pop after he got ejected and I was extremely impressed by the way he handled the minutes. Pop has been around the block so many times that he’s a bit paranoid about blowing a lead. Bud showed good poise in keeping the scrub lineup on the court when the Pacers were making their meaningless runs in the fourth quarter. Pop owes Bud a bottle of wine for not playing anyone on the team more than 28 minutes.

The bottomline is the Spurs won the game but the battle has just begun. In the next 11 days, the Spurs play seven games against quality competition. The only team below .500 in the stretch is the Philadelphia 76ers – and even that game is on the road on the second night of a back-to-back. The Spurs begin this run on Friday in Denver. This is when we’ll start to really see how good the Spurs actually are at this point in the season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Yup, 7 games in 11 days against quality opposition - time to run the gauntlet, but I think they are ready for it. 5-2 would be a great result and I don't think it's beyond them.

As for JV and MM, it seems to me that Stoudamire misunderstood the order - he should take good shots when they are there without hesitation, but trying to create silk from a sow's ear by driving into double teams, nuh-uh.

That depth that we all talked about to start the season, and which has been bolstered by MM and KT, is really going to come in handy during the stretch run. Pop can pretty much rely on 1 through 10, 11 when Barry gets back, and even the last two players can hold their own in certain situations, like Bonner today.

I like the signs, now the test.

mudyez
03-07-2008, 05:35 AM
great read..thanks timvp!

whottt
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM

-Kurt Thomas started his third consecutive game at center and did a fine job. In 27 minutes, Thomas had eight points, six rebounds and a steal, while shooting 3-for-5 from the field. He seems to already have nice chemistry with Ginobili, however his high-low passing to Duncan needs work. His defense was solid and the Spurs are now averaging 50 rebounds per game as a team in games that Thomas starts.

I like some of what I see from Thomas, but I see some stuff I don't like....I can't put my finger on what I don't like yet...but I'll figure it out sooner or later...it's got something to do with the fact that the Spurs are now getting a ton of boards, but they aren't really getting easier wins because of them...

The rebounding is awesome though.

-In the Game Thoughts from the previous game against the Nets (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88784), I said that Pop might start Matt Bonner in this game. Although Bonner didn’t start, he did play more than Duncan and anyone off the bench. While I only being half serious, I guess Pop decided to play along. The increase in minutes had to be quite a surprise for Bonner seeing as he had barely played in the last month. His 25 minutes on Thursday were the most minutes he has played since he had 25 points and 17 rebounds against the Golden State Warriors on December 11th. In fact, he played more against the Pacers than the previous 14 games combined. To Bonner’s credit, he actually played well. He has apparently kept himself in game shape and went out there and competed at a high level. Bonner finished with 15 points, four rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot, while hitting 6-of-13 shots from the field. It was good see that Bonner is still ready and able even though he’s now buried on the bench. Any team in the NBA would love to have a fifth bigman as good as Bonner.

Bonner had a nice game...he almost seemed to have a chip on his shoulder( as much of a chip as you are going to see Bonner have). I can tell by the way he played that he doesn't like being iced on the bench at all.

-Although Michael Finley is in a bit of a shooting slump, he’s showing signs of breaking out of it. Against the Pacers, Finley scored 12 points and pulled down five boards, while shooting 3-for-11 from the field and 2-for-4 from beyond the arc. He was still hesitating on his jumpers but it wasn’t as bad as recent games. The Spurs will need him to knock down shots in their upcoming stretch.

Finley slump started when Pop moved him into the starting line up...Finley is not Manu and seems to have trouble making that adjustment...so hopefully Pop will leave him in a role and let him get comfortable with it.

This is where Barry actually could end up being pretty valuable because he can start for Manu and leave Finley in a role he's adjusted to playing.

-Ime Udoka continues his streaky shooting ways. For a few games in a row, it seems like he’ll never miss an open shot again. Then he’ll have a game like he did against the Pacers where he goes 1-for-5. Game to game, it’s impossible to know whether Udoka is going to be red hot or ice cold. He compounded his poor shooting by being a little lazy on defense a couple of possessions. For the game, he had four points and five rebounds in 21 minutes. His rebounding continues to be a bright spot for the Spurs.

Udoka is impossible to read...I had him pegged as a guy that was going to be clutch, then it looked like he wasn't going to have that touch...now I am again thinking that he will turn out to be clutch. Hard guy to read...usually I have an opinion on someone's clutchness by this many games into their career...still making that evaluation on Ime...I'm leaning towards clutch right now though.

-Jacque Vaughn played 12 minutes in which he hustled continuously, as is usually the case. He didn’t do anything too good or too bad but was once again a better option than this new gunning version of Stoudamire. It appears as if Vaughn is in line to become the full-time backup point guard yet again.

I liked Vaughn's game tonight.

Mike Budenholzer took over for Pop after he got ejected and I was extremely impressed by the way he handled the minutes. Pop has been around the block so many times that he’s a bit paranoid about blowing a lead. Bud showed good poise in keeping the scrub lineup on the court when the Pacers were making their meaningless runs in the fourth quarter. Pop owes Bud a bottle of wine for not playing anyone on the team more than 28 minutes.

True...if the game had gotten within 13 and more than 2 minutes left, Pop would have never left the stars on the bench. Budenholzer exudes poise...and really there was never any doubt the Spurs were going to win this game once it got into the fourth.

Quasar
03-07-2008, 05:38 AM
May be Pop should just let MM play his game... According to the stats, he did a great job at both distribution and shooting in his first few games before being instituted as ball hog by Pop...

Did he pass up any open shots when he just joined and/or avoid driving? He used to be a good drive & dish player as well..

T Park
03-07-2008, 05:44 AM
I can't put my finger on what I don't like yet

We all know what it is.

You just won't admit it.

whottt
03-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Pop wants the PG's to be aggressive at taking it to the basket and trying to score...every PG we have plays the same way....unfortunately, Tony is the only one that's actually good at it.

But that is actually Stoudamire's game BTW...he really isn't playing his game when he's not being aggressive....he can both pass and score, but he's definitely a better scorer than he is a passer.

whottt
03-07-2008, 05:46 AM
We all know what it is.

You just won't admit it.

What is it? Barry's back....if that's what you think it is...

I've never been excited about Kurt Thomas as a player, I'm still not...it's got something to do with that.

Maybe that's it...he is extremely low key, and doesn't produce a lot of positive energy.

Oh and GFY...I already know what you are going to say. Get a new angle.

xcoriate
03-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Any team in the NBA would love to have a fifth bigman as good as Bonner.

But no team would want to pay a fifth big as much either ;)

T Park
03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
I don't know whats so bad about good defense, good rebounding, and solid interior defense.

Thats what he brings. His jump shot is solid and his offense is good.

I don't see what you don't like either. Hes easily the best bigman the Spurs have had since Robinson retired.

BTW I was just givin ya shit about Barry, I was hopin you'd take the bait more on that :lol

T Park
03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
But no team would want to pay a fifth big as much either ;)

He makes 3 million, you guys act like he makes 8.

WalterBenitez
03-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Thank you TIMVP, your summary quickly becoming my first reading after games I can't watch, at this point your recap is ahead of espn one! :wakeup

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Bonner is still a pretty good buy at $3mil - many teams would happily take him off our hands. I have a feeling he will prove his worth next season with consistent minutes, and if not he'll be easy to ship.

T Park
03-07-2008, 06:03 AM
It appears as if Vaughn is in line to become the full-time backup point guard yet again.

If Stoudamire wouldn't be forced to take shots, and just take shots within the offense he wouldn't be.

IMO, he should just tell Stoudamire, run the point, set up the offense, and shoot your shots within the offense when they come.

Just be solid and give Parker a good rest when in.

He would get alot of shots within the offense if patient, don't know why Pop thinks he has to force the issue shot wise.

T Park
03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Bonner is still a pretty good buy at $3mil - many teams would happily take him off our hands. I have a feeling he will prove his worth next season with consistent minutes, and if not he'll be easy to ship.

Yeah I think Matt Bonner next year is really gonna shine.
Hes alot better now than he was last year at this time and his good showing tonight only gives Pop more confidence to put him in when all the bigs are struggling or maybe the team needs a spark of energy off the bench.
Hopefully thats what Oberto can do is bring that spark.
Personally I'd love if Udoka would start next to Thomas, Bowen, Duncan and Parker, and you could have manu and Oberto come in for offense and energy. It would be a great combo IMO.

some_user86
03-07-2008, 06:07 AM
He makes 3 million, you guys act like he makes 8.

Exactly. He's relatively cheap and he's got some "skillz". Spurs fans just need someone to rag on. Ever since Udrih left, it's been Bonner's turn to be the whipping boy.

T Park
03-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Exactly. He's relatively cheap and he's got some "skillz". Spurs fans just need someone to rag on. Ever since Udrih left, it's been Bonner's turn to be the whipping boy.

Thats the problem. Theres no longer any potential unfulfilling bad attitude stiffs on the team anymore.

polandprzem
03-07-2008, 06:21 AM
I wonder how the S5 looks like on practice.

It may sounds crazy but Spurs can bring up many "fives" and the chemistry would not be lost.

The excample is Oberto feeling better as a reserve. On the other side it was just one game and players have ups and downs, so you can't bet on anything right now.

Might or Vough?
Will Bonner earn some minutes?
What about Robby Bobby?

If all will be set and prepared for the playoffs it will be wow

wildbill2u
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
You can't convincel me that Pop really got that rattled about some bad calls in the 2nd quarter against a team like Indiana and completely lost it.

In at least one game every year, CIA Pop deliberately gets ejected so the assistant coach can get some experience (and face time with fans and prospective employers) at running the club.

I think he thought Indiana was such a lock win that he picked this game for his little ploy. It's a nice gesture for Pop to do this for his assistant.

rAm
03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
You can't convincel me that Pop really got that rattled about some bad calls in the 2nd quarter against a team like Indiana and completely lost it.

In at least one game every year, CIA Pop deliberately gets ejected so the assistant coach can get some experience (and face time with fans and prospective employers) at running the club.

I think he thought Indiana was such a lock win that he picked this game for his little ploy. It's a nice gesture for Pop to do this for his assistant.

there is probably a little truth to both sides of the argument

wildchild
03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
The excample is Oberto feeling better as a reserve.

You're right, but his play hurts as a reserve. Last game in Indiana Oberto 10 points and 8 rebounds.
Yesterday Thomas scored 8 points and 6 rebounds and Oberto coming off the beench 6 points and 3 rebounds.
Against Indiana Oberto as start played much better.

On other hands. I think isn't true when Pop said "I don't know who Kurt or Fab in the starting line up" I guess Pop made a decision for Tony Manu Bruce Timmy and Kurt in starting line up and Oberto received the message.
'cause that he feels better as reserve and he assumes his new role on the team.

I prefer Oberto in the starting lineup. When Tim out, we lost presence in the paint and I like so much Kur in this role.I would rather see Oberto as start against team with quick or small size bigmen, too.

However, it seems clear that Pop made his decision as to what he is going to do with the bigmen's rotation.

wildchild
03-07-2008, 03:31 PM

:worthy: Timvp're THE MAN!

Duff McCartney
03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
It wasn't that long ago that I actually looked forward to playing the Pacers because they were a solid team. When they won 61 games a few years ago they were kicking ass. They've never recovered from the Malice in the Palace.