PDA

View Full Version : Los Spurs

spurscenter
03-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Someone give me a history lesson to the whole LOS SPURS thing last night and how it came about.

It came out of nowhere, huh?

I read nothing about this leading up to last night, usually you would hear something here on this site regarding the jerseys.

Anyhow, wouldnt it be better said with an E:

LOS ESPURS? :lol

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080307/capt.cc2e76de3e524d65a23ffe00e1bd3fb7.pacers_spurs _basketball_txeg112.jpg

That was the weirdest thing to see LOS atop the Spurs Logo!

I understand it was a nod to the heritage celebration in SA but it kinda seemed racist. j/k

I mean are we gonna have the word POWER under the Spurs Logo for Black History Month? :lol

Yea Yea --- I'm being stupid but someone tell me where the whole LOS SPURS came from?

I'm intrigued and baffled.

http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/X/D/-/-/celebration11.jpg

Perhaps it was a James White idea.

LOS ESPURZ! Ay Cabron!

fyatuk
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Sir Charles was complaining about it and calling it stupid as well.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Considering the anniversary, they should have said "Los Texicans".

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
it's actually supposed to be "Las Espuelas". They used a bit of Spanglish there.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
it's actually supposed to be "Las Espuelas". They used a bit of Spanglish there.
Tex Mex is funny. I came from New Mexico and had to have someone tell me what the hell a "troca" was.

spurscenter
03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
InZNBcJTmWs

:lol

Taco
03-07-2008, 08:39 AM

We need to use your avatar in the Jennifer Broome thread

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7242/imagedq9.gif

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79318

wildbill2u
03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Someone give me a history lesson to the whole LOS SPURS thing last night and how it came about.

I read nothing about this leading up to last night, usually you would hear something here on this site regarding the jerseys.

Anyhow, wouldnt it be better said with an E:

LOS ESPURS? :lol

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080307/capt.cc2e76de3e524d65a23ffe00e1bd3fb7.pacers_spurs _basketball_txeg112.jpg

That was the weirdest thing to see LOS atop the Spurs Logo!

I understand it was a nod to the heritage celebration in SA but it kinda seemed racist. j/k

I mean are we gonna have the word POWER under the Spurs Logo for Black History Month? :lol

Yea Yea --- I'm being stupid but someone tell me where the whole LOS SPURS came from?

I'm intrigued and baffled.

http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/X/D/-/-/celebration11.jpg

Perhaps it was a James White idea.

LOS ESPURZ! Ay Cabron!Somewhere deep in the bowels of the front office is a cubicle designated:
Dipshit Marketing Ideas.

Inside that cubicle sits a marketing genius?

ploto
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Now I can get away with saying how stupid I thought this was- and borderline offensive not to actually use the real Spanish word for Spurs. It is insulting to act as if the way to translate an English word to Spanish is to put Los in front of it. I am surprised it did not say Los Spuros. And to call it Fiesta with the Spurs when Fiesta is next month. :wtf

spurschick
03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
"The Fiesta with the Spurs Night is a part of recognizing the support of the NBA and its players in Latin American Countries, plus the influx of Latin American players in the NBA."

It's an NBA initiative. Other teams participate as well.

Trainwreck2100
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I hope their jerseys don't come out as craptacular.

ploto
03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Still stupid to call them Los Spurs. If they want to recognize the influence of Latin American players, use the actual Spanish language- not a ridiculous sounding blend of English and Spanish. I am sure Edward Najera will feel honored to play for Los Nuggets.

Spurminator
03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Now I can get away with saying how stupid I thought this was- and borderline offensive not to actually use the real Spanish word for Spurs. It is insulting to act as if the way to translate an English word to Spanish is to put Los in front of it. I am surprised it did not say Los Spuros. And to call it Fiesta with the Spurs when Fiesta is next month. :wtf

If there was a team called the Mexico City Vaqueros, and you went to one of their games, would you say "I'm going to see the Cowboys?"

ploto
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
If I own a team in Mexico City, and I am having an event to honor the influence of English speaking players on the team and the league, I would not call them "The Vaqueros" a stupid blend of English and Spanish. I would call them Los Vaqueros for normal games and "The Cowboys" in recognition of this one special event. If the intent was for the Spurs to recognize what this night was supposed to be about, they should have used the real Spanish-language equivalent. It is not a difficult concept to understand.

Drachen
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Still stupid to call them Los Spurs. If they want to recognize the influence of Latin American players, use the actual Spanish language- not a ridiculous sounding blend of English and Spanish. I am sure Edward Najera will feel honored to play for Los Nuggets.

No, I think this is perfect for Edwardo Najera, my buddy went to school with him at Cornerstone and told me that idiot got caught cheating on 3 spanish tests.

mexicanjunior
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I want one of those jerseys...

hater
03-07-2008, 10:57 AM
The idea came to Peter Holt in a vision while high on Habaneros and Mezcal

duncan228
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM

I read nothing about this leading up to last night, usually you would hear something here on this site regarding the jerseys

There's been a thread about it for a week. It's still on the first page this morning.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88386

SAN ANTONIO - Ven partido con los Spurs! Grab your maracas and come fiesta with the Spurs for a Latin-themed night celebrating San Antonio’s heritage when the Spurs host the Pacers on Thursday, March 6 at 7:00 p.m.

The fiesta begins when doors open and fans can partake in the ambiance of the colorful decorations to the musical entertainment provided by Salsa Caliente and a local mariachi band playing festive music. The night will also include Latin-themed dances performed by the Silver Dancers, and Coyote will be up to his usual antics, but with a festive flair. Even the music played during the game will groove a Hispanic feel, and Spurs In-Arena Host “Big Kev” will dress the part, wearing a sombrero to tip-off the celebration.

On the court, the team will wear Los Spurs jerseys featuring a Noche Latina patch honoring the NBA’s Latin Nights 2008. The team worn jerseys won’t be for sale, but one lucky fan will have an opportunity to win Manu Ginobili’s signed Los Spurs jersey. Fans can register to win the jersey at spurs.com, keyword fiesta or by clicking here, beginning Friday, February 29 through midnight on March 6.

Following the game, the fiesta moves to Express News Headlines on the Plaza Level for the WOAI postgame radio show. Fans can enjoy complimentary snacks and drink specials while listening to the festive entertainment provided by Salsa Caliente as well as the mariachi band.

Thursday’s ‘Fiesta with the Spurs’ game is also an Express News Value Night, affording fans a game ticket, hot dog, chips and soft drink for $22. Individual tickets still remain, and can be purchased at all Ticketmaster Ticket Center locations including Macy’s and select H-E-B locations, charge by Phone at (210) 225-TEAM or online at ticketmaster.com or spurs.com, click here to buy now! You can also purchase tickets at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. and weekend event days only beginning at 10 a.m.

Spurminator
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
If I own a team in Mexico City, and I am having an event to honor the influence of English speaking players on the team and the league, I would not call them "The Vaqueros" a stupid blend of English and Spanish. I would call them Los Vaqueros for normal games and "The Cowboys" in recognition of this one special event.

What's stupid about it? If you're speaking English the rest of the time, what does it matter if the word "the" is translated or not?

So you would say "Hey, we're going to dinner then we're going to head out to see Los Vaqueros." That's fine, I guess, but that's not how most people would say it and I'm pretty sure there's nothing offensive about saying "The Vaqueros" when speaking English.

That said, I agree that "Espuelas" would have been a better jersey for this... certainly much less inviting of ridicule. I can't think of any team that has "The [whatevers]" on their jersey, so adding "Los" to the jersey doesn't really make much sense... though I'm sure production cost/timing had some kind of role in the design.

Bruno
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't know what Spanish speaking fans say, but in France Spurs are called "Les Spurs" and not "The Spurs" or "Les Eperons".

Saying that, I find the idea of changing the name just stupid. During their preseason in France, Spurs have tuned their jersey by adding French flag colors on the side of the jersey. IMO, The Fiesta jersey should have been Spurs jersey with flags of the main Spanish speaking countries on the side.

tmtcsc
03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I thought it was pretty stupid and embarrassing. Like some of the other posters on here have suggested, they could have come up with something better to honor the Latin American influence.

Hell, we honor it every time we suit up Ginobili and Oberto. The flags on the sides would have been fine.

"Los Spurs" ? Bad.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Now I can get away with saying how stupid I thought this was- and borderline offensive not to actually use the real Spanish word for Spurs. It is insulting to act as if the way to translate an English word to Spanish is to put Los in front of it. I am surprised it did not say Los Spuros. And to call it Fiesta with the Spurs when Fiesta is next month. :wtfplus spurs is a feminine word. it should've been Las Spurs. that's what happens when whitey gets involved.

ChumpDumper
03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
The Spurs will never have a jersey without their brand name on them.

smeagol
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I like "Las Espuelas . . . CARAJO!". It has a certain ring to it.

Oh . . . and everybody wearing light blue and white headbands.

Squid
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I want one of those jerseys...

No shit. Me too.

Spurminator
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
plus spurs is a feminine word. it should've been Las Spurs. that's what happens when whitey gets involved.

I'm no expert in Spanish, but given that we're talking about a team of male basketball players and not the metal objects on the backs of riding boots, I'm guessing "Los" is correct in this instance.

hater
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
They should have worn Los Vatos Locos

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm no expert in Spanish, but given that we're talking about a team of male basketball players and not the metal objects on the backs of riding boots, I'm guessing "Los" is correct in this instance.eh. it's just completely wrong and i'm surprised they went along with it, but oh well. let's move on.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
The Spurs will never have a jersey without their brand name on them.

:tu

Brand names aren't typically translated.

*shrugs*

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
:tu

Brand names aren't typically translated.

*shrugs*

This is true. If they were, I don't think the Mexican company that owns Mrs. Baird's would run around calling themselves "Bimbo" like they do...

:lol

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Non-issue forum.

enykid9
03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
out of every name why does it have to be LOS it couldn't been something else i don't like it even doe ur my favorite basketball team i think u should change it please!!!

T Park
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Since Ploto hates it, its the greatest thing the Spurs organization has ever done.

Im furious my jerseys don't have LOS on them.

sa_butta
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
They should have worn Los Vatos Locos"Los locos kick your ass, Los locos kick your face, Los Locos kick your balls into outer space."

TampaDude
03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
According to Babel Fish, it should be "los estímulos"... :lol

spurschick
03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I would rather they say PURO PINCHE SPURS.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I would rather they say PURO PINCHE SPURS.

I actually thought the same thing ... that would have been awesome. :lol

Tek_XX
03-07-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm no expert in Spanish, but given that we're talking about a team of male basketball players and not the metal objects on the backs of riding boots, I'm guessing "Los" is correct in this instance.

and also i'm guessing that "Spurs" is the name of an organization and not the metal objects on the backs of riding boots, Los Spurs is just fine.

ManuLoco
03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
In Argentina we call them "Los Spurs" and not Las Espuelas (that name sounds a little stupid, I rather not know what a spur is), so I gues that in Argentinian spanish that's ok.

LilMissSPURfect
03-07-2008, 03:51 PM
What's wrong with LOS SPURS....ehy weee watch los spurs averydai qvo? :p:

" babe, babe los spurs r on tv take the kids to the utter room " :drunk

timvp
03-07-2008, 04:09 PM
When will the Spurs celebrate the other races?

Abdul Hamed Spursahmastad
Da Spurz
Walking Spurs, Sitting Bonner
Johnny Blaze Appreciation Night

ancestron
03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I just dind't like that they had 3/4 of the word "Loss" on their jerseys.

spurscenter
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM

LOS NUGGEZ, lol