PDA

View Full Version : IF you were Spurs GM....

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 09:10 AM
If you were Spurs GM what what you do to make changes for the 2008-2009 season....
(regarless of the outcome of 2008)

who would you keep?
who would you go after?
who would you keep it the same?
would you trade players?

oboymeetsogirl
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Horry is retiring, and so may Barry; their replacements need to be sharp three point shooters for the Spurs system to keep on churning.

Stoudemire and Vaughn fill in adequately as backup point guards, but I think we could do better. I love experience, but youth wouldn't hurt either (Parker was once young on the Spurs, and Ginobli came with with some experience but a lot of rough edges).

But as usual, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs have some overseas players up their sleeve.

batboy
03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
...I would have never found Parker and Ginobili

ArgSpursFan.
03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
If you were Spurs GM what what you do to make changes for the 2008-2009 season....

...............go back in time and wish the Scola trade never happened.

someone call Spillberg,we need the 4rd part of Back to the Future in S.A.

anakha
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
...............go back in time and wish the Scola trade never happened.

someone call Spillberg,we need the 4rd part of Back to the Future in S.A.

How utterly predictable. :rolleyes

hater
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
no point asking this before playoffs.

Depends. If Spurs win another championship, just do minor tweaks. If they don't make drastic changes to take advantage of Duncan's last years

urunobili
03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
V-Span
Keep Finley 1 more run
Get Kapono
go for Hedo
Sign Splitter

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 11:16 AM
V-Span
Keep Finley 1 more run
Get Kapono
go for Hedo
Sign Splitter

Yikes 3 x of 5

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I Would Go For Jj Reddick....or Kapono....guys Who Will Hit The Jumpers With Consistency....young And Can Last....

Gilbert Arenas Is A Free Agent Next Year Too....
Him And Duncan Are Pretty Tight...

Would Yall Trade Parker For Arenas?

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Why go for Reddick or Kapono, terrible players who can only shoot, when you have Matt Bonner already signed, who can at least also rebound?

K-State Spur
03-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I Would Go For Jj Reddick....or Kapono....guys Who Will Hit The Jumpers With Consistency....young And Can Last....

Gilbert Arenas Is A Free Agent Next Year Too....

Would Yall Trade Parker For Arenas?

Arenas is a guy who dominates the ball and needs A LOT of shots to get his points.

On a championship team, that really doesn't work.

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=K-State Spur]Arenas is a guy who dominates the ball and needs A LOT of shots to get his points.

On a championship team, that really doesn't work.[/QUOTE

Lets face it the Spurs are gonna decline big time next year....therell be about 2 guys retiring and that means more minutes and more shots. Arenas can score and has explosivesness. The Spurs need another guy who can create his own shot besides Manu. besides the team revolves around Duncan. Arenas and Manu would kill teams....

Parker is good but arenas is better....

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Arenas is an awful idea.

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Arenas is an awful idea.

how can you say that?

Duncan is on the downside of his career. he can still ball with the best of them but hes on the downside...

Finley
Horry
Bowen
Thomas
Vaughn

will NOT get it done next year...book it....Pop knows this and he knows they need to get younger and more offensive minded next year.....
Arenas can bring youth,scoring ability,explosiveness,and take a lot of pressure off of manu and tim to carry the load....

who says he has to take 15 shots a game?
hell be another Manu.....create his own shot and hes also a pretty decent defender...

i dont see how it couldnt work....

mathbzh
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
If Arenas is better than Parker it is only by a short hair.
This trade would not make us really better, it would not make us younger, bad idea.

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
If Arenas is better than Parker it is only by a short hair.
This trade would not make us really better, it would not make us younger, bad idea.

Who agrees with me that Parker is OVERRATED?

and that he shouldnt have gotten that Finals MVP last year...?
(shouldve been an addition to Duncans legacy...)
that trophy makes him look like something that he really isnt...

Arenas can do everything Parker can and more....

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Parker is much cheaper than Arenas will be. He's also well suited for the team and understands it.

Parker deserved Finals MVP. It's not 'Basketball Legacy MVP'. It's MVP for the series. The series was a washout, but the best player was him. No big deal.

Arenas blows teams up because he hogs the ball and requires tons of shots. He's a black hole. Washington is better without him than with him.

duncan228
03-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Why do you say that?

Duncan and Arenas are both with adidas, they've done some things together for the Brotherhood campaign.

What else makes you think they're "pretty tight?"

duncan228
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Parker deserved Finals MVP. It's not 'Basketball Legacy MVP'. It's MVP for the series. The series was a washout, but the best player was him. No big deal.

I'm the biggest Duncan homer there is and even I agree with this.

I would have loved to see Duncan with a fourth Finals MVP.
But there's no arguing that it was Parker's.

Slohoop
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Deffinately make sure Splitter wears Spurs uniform next season. Trade Bonner and put Mahinmi back on bench.

mexicanjunior
03-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Arenas blows teams up because he hogs the ball and requires tons of shots. He's a black hole. Washington is better without him than with him.

He also seems to be constistently injured and full of himself. He would not fit well with the Spurs. Parker shares some of the same traits but at least he is younger and cheaper, plus he knows the system and his role on the team...

xtremesteven33
03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Why do you say that?

Duncan and Arenas are both with adidas, they've done some things together for the Brotherhood campaign.

What else makes you think they're "pretty tight?"

i think NBA definition of "pretty tight" would be no animosity and can share a consversation pretty good and have done past things together...

yea theyre not BFs but pretty cool with each other

Brutalis
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Who agrees with me that Parker is OVERRATED?

and that he shouldnt have gotten that Finals MVP last year...?
(shouldve been an addition to Duncans legacy...)
that trophy makes him look like something that he really isnt...

Arenas can do everything Parker can and more....

TP was the best player of the series. Take away 10 of his total points and we lost a couple games.

Arenas isn't half the player Tony is. TP is more mature, experienced and a proven winner in the most clutch of moments the NBA has to offer. GA has merely scratched a pimple to that so far.

freemeat
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Why go for Reddick or Kapono, terrible players who can only shoot, when you have Matt Bonner already signed, who can at least also rebound?

Agreed. Besides, Kapono has hit maybe ONE three-pointer since the beginning of December.

Brutalis
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I will assume Horry and Barry are retiring, not sure about Fin Fin. If we win it all again I see all three of them going.

Splitter will be on the bench next season, we already know that. And I think Ian should be there with him, they are similar in size and could learn together the Spurs system although possess different skills with the ball.

If Fin Fin does decide to return, hopefully we can get a one year deal. Along with Damon and tag Oberto for another 2 seasons. Need to resign KT for a year or two as well. I'd personally trade Bonner.

Not sure who to go after. Although we need some athletic young guys for sure.

RiverwalkParade
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
assuming that both Horry and Brent retire, then I resign KT for one year and bring up Splitter. Let the vets, Duncan and Thomas, show the big European the ropes. I choose not to resign Finley and Stoudamire, and go after either Ryan Gomes or Jarvis Hayes, Ryan Bowen, Diop, and Devin Brown. All should be pretty cheap and are younger role players.

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
assuming that both Horry and Brent retire, then I resign KT for one year and bring up Splitter. Let the vets, Duncan and Thomas, show the big European the ropes. I choose not to resign Finley and Stoudamire, and go after either Ryan Gomes or Jarvis Hayes, Ryan Bowen, Diop, and Devin Brown. All should be pretty cheap and are younger role players.

That all seems pretty wise. I'd rather resign Finley than go for Devin Brown, but hey.

James Jones should be a big target. We probably need a score in the draft in some manner or, in some manner, trading draft pieces and/or Mahinmi for some guard/swingman help. Splitter should not be traded in any fashion.

hsxvvd
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
If we win this year... no changes, milk this old cow dry.

yavozerb
03-07-2008, 07:22 PM
This should be the perfect draft for the spurs to get that big SF..This will be guard and pf/c (top heavy) draft which will leave some quality 6'7-6'9 forwards on the board..

m33p0
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
... the Spurs would still be looking for their first championship.

SenorSpur
03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Arenas is an awful idea.

Totally awful idea. A taller version of Allen Iverson. Big time ball pounder and volume shot shooter.

T Park
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I choose not to resign Finley and Stoudamire, and go after either Ryan Gomes or Jarvis Hayes, Ryan Bowen, Diop, and Devin Brown. All should be pretty cheap and are younger role players

Diop Sure

Devin Brown aint comin back

Ryan Bowen over Finley?

Are you mad?!?!

SenorSpur
03-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Out:
Horry
Finley or Barry - depending upon if Barry decides to retire
Stoudamire
Bonner

In:
Desagana Diop
Darius Washington
Ian Mahinmi
James Jones or Jarvis Hayes or Hakim Warrick or Mikael Pietrus
Tiago Splitter - D-league assignment

I would also add yet another, young, domestic SF prospect via draft

vander
03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Let all of our old Guys go

Go after D Gibson
Go after S Vujacic

vander
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
... the Spurs would still be looking for their first championship.

wow you would have passed on Duncan?

Mr. Body
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Out:
Bonner

How are you getting rid of Bonner?

Don Quixote
03-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Trade Bruce and Ime for Antoine Walker to play the 3.

Trade Manu straight-up for Eric Snow to play G. Buy out Tony, he sucks anyway, and bring in Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson to play the point.

Then ... trade Tim and Kurt to the Knicks for Jerome James. Jerome is big and has alot of potential, he'll fit in great here. Throw in Finley and Jacque for Step-on Marbury. Marbury is awesome, has great handles, and is a proven winner.

Trade David Robinson to Phoenix for Shaq. They're both retired, right? Sign Shaq to a $20M/yr deal. Trade our next 3 #1s to Chicago for Larry Hughes.

So ... our lineup will be Shaq, Jerome James, Antoine Walker, Eric Snow, and Marbury, with Hughes leading a strong second unit along with Boner, Theo Ratliffe, and Smush Parker.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-08-2008, 02:44 AM
:lol@Don Quixote

Fin, Rob gone.

PG: TP/either JV or MM/young draftee

Swing: Manu/Bruce/Ime/Barry/James Jones or Carlos Delfino/draftee

Big: TD/KT/Oberto/Splitter/Mahinmi/Bonner

That's the 15 I'd go with. No need for a major overhaul. Jones/Delfino or someone similar slots in for Fin, Splitter and Mahinmi compete for 5th big.

Could be done within cap and ownership restrictions. Retooled for another run.

Oh, and I'd give Bonner 3 months (until mid-January) to prove his worth, and if he can't get it, ship him and hope Ryan Bowen is a FA.

freemeat
03-08-2008, 02:46 AM
How are you getting rid of Bonner?

Trade him for LeBron?

Kori Ellis
03-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Funny that people think Arenas is better than Parker in this thread. :lol

If you think Tony (whose FG% is 50%) is a ballhog, you should hate Arenas.

He played 40 minutes a game last year, averaged only 6 assists and shot 41% or so.