PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please tell me how to cook beans??

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
No this is not a joke...I need some help on how to cook pinto beans. I have never attempted them before.

So far I have soaked them over night and now put them on the stove....now what??

JoeChalupa
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Cook them slow. and make sure you have hot water to add as needed.

I throw in some nice bacon.
garlic, onions, and a little salt.
I also like cilantro in mine.

Very simple but yet very tasty...and sometimes powerful.

Good luck.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I've dumped a beer and a jar of picante sauce in mine, too. :nerd

mrsmaalox
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Okay so bring them to boil, let em boil(not too strong) for a couple of minutes. Then turn the heat down really low and put a cover on it. If it still boils over, vent the lid. I don't like to pre-soak, but since you did it should be cooked in about 1hr. I don't add any seasoning until the beans are thoroughly done.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I have all that but how long do you cook them for....please i am not an idiot....just a woman who is new to staying at home and actually having time to learn how to cook!!

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Until you taste them and they are tender ... not still chalky and hard. :lol

JoeChalupa
03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Until you taste them and they are tender ... not still chalky and hard. :lol

I concur. I always pre-soak mine and still cook them on low heat for about 2 hours. They are the best when freshly cooked. :tu
And I like my seasonings to work into the beans.
After a few times you'll get to know works best for your pallette.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
lol....I think I coulda figured that out...I just don't want them all mushy!

Can I add ground beef to them?? My grandmother used to do this....but I have no idea at what point she added it.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't usually pre-soak them ... but when I cook them, I throw in everything but the kitchen sink from the get-go. Bacon or a ham bone if I happen to have one, lots of garlic, salt & pepper, cumin, a little bit of chili powder, picante (for the tomatoes, onions & peppers), and sometimes cilantro, beer.

I like 'em spicy. :eyebrows

Unfortunately, no one in my house likes beans besides me so I don't make them very often anymore. :(

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Everybody in my house loves them! I have just never had the time to actually cook them. Although I do know how to make cornbread to go with them :)

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
i don't soak mine. gabachos do that. i put them in a crock pot with salt pork, chopped onions, a couple cloves of garlic, about 4 or 5 jalapenos, and a can of beer. i let that cook SLOW for about 12 hours. i usually do this over night. right at the very end I add a little bit of comino.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
gabachos?? what is that??

ORION
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Add 1 cup of gasoline then light with 1 and 1/2 matches. Eat quickly before the flames go out.

**Disclaimer**
If you actually do this and die you probably deserved to

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't pre-soak.

Make sure you clean the beans, though.
They have dirt and all that.

But, boil them with an onion, some garlic, and some salt.
That makes them taste badass.

Some people put bacon or salted pork.
I sometime do that.
It depends on my mood.

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
By the way, I put some beans to cook overnight and they burned.

I moved into a new apartment and I'm still trying to figure out the new stove.

Apparently, I haven't figured it out yet.

CuckingFunt
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Ham hocks make everything taste yummy.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Add 1 cup of gasoline then light with 1 and 1/2 matches. Eat quickly before the flames go out.

**Disclaimer**
If you actually do this and die you probably deserved to

I do not think that I am this stupid...but I may pass this helpful little hint onto my future sister in law....she would do it! :lol

mrsmaalox
03-07-2008, 11:39 AM
lol....I think I coulda figured that out...I just don't want them all mushy!

Can I add ground beef to them?? My grandmother used to do this....but I have no idea at what point she added it.

If you don't want mushy, don't pre-soak. Also don't crockpot---makes a totally different taste.

Ground beef? Corn bread? Gabachos? I have a feeling you may be talking navy beans, while us Messicans are talking pintos!! :lol

katyon6th
Ham hocks and navy beans with corn bread. So country. So good.

Munchelen
I have the onions, garlic and salt in now....but my bacon is frozen!!! :bang

03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
For a 5 pound bag I do the following

Soak overnight

Low heat in the morning with

1 package of salt pork diced
2 smoked ham hocks put in whole
1/2 jar Bolner's pinto bean seasoning
5-10 serrano peppers diced
1 bunch cilantro rough chopped
2 1015 onions rough chopped

Cook until onion and cilantro disappear, make sure to get the bones from the hocks out and enjoy with a cold, cold beer.

SpursWoman
I have the onions, garlic and salt in now....but my bacon is frozen!!!

Defrost it in the microwave ... it's going to get a little chewy when you boil it, anyway. :lol

Oh, and howdy stranger. :p:

Munchelen
If you don't want mushy, don't pre-soak. Also don't crockpot---makes a totally different taste.

Ground beef? Corn bread? Gabachos? I have a feeling you may be talking navy beans, while us Messicans are talking pintos!! :lol

No the ground beef actually came from my grandmother who is half mexican and half spanish...

I actually like the cornbread with pinto beans...I put in some fresh chopped jalapenos and it tastes yummy!

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys....now this little pregnant woman is going to pass out from hunger just thinking about when these things are actually done!!!

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Defrost it in the microwave ... it's going to get a little chewy when you boil it, anyway. :lol

Oh, and howdy stranger. :p:

I was wondering if you realized who you were talking too!! I kinda fell off the radar for 3 years :lol

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Of course I knew who I was talking to ... and the last time I talked to you I'm pretty sure you were pregnant then, too. :wow

Congratulations!

travis2
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I know what you mean, SW...:lol

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
lol...damn that's been a while!

My daughter is 3 and a half and my son is 11 and a half....and I got married on 7/7/7

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I know what you mean, SW...:lol

Hiya Travy....I see you found me learning how to cook beans!!

I know..I know... I am helpless :lol

travis2
03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
so long as you don't burn the water...:D

mrsmaalox
03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Ham hocks and navy beans with corn bread. So country. So good.

So my mother-in-law! Dreaming of her fried chicken livers....

JoeChalupa
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
i don't soak mine. gabachos do that. i put them in a crock pot with salt pork, chopped onions, a couple cloves of garlic, about 4 or 5 jalapenos, and a can of beer. i let that cook SLOW for about 12 hours. i usually do this over night. right at the very end I add a little bit of comino.

Not true. My mom and my grandma's always soaked their beans. They just come out much better, IMO. But like rice, there are so many ways to cook them. Some use salt pork, other uses ham bones, bacon.

But I like to throw all my seasonings in form the get go like SW. :tu

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
joe my Grandma always soaked her beans...after she made us kids sort thru them to pick out any rocks :lol

I am not sure why she added ground beef....maybe to make it go farther or just to make it different...who knows...

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
so long as you don't burn the water...:D

That was only done the first week i stayed home....who knew you were supposed to add the hotdogs first?? :p:

Shelly
03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I thought there was a way to cook beans so you didn't have to take Bean-o before eating them?

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I have the onions, garlic and salt in now....but my bacon is frozen!!! :bang

Throw in the bacon frozen.

It will cook anyway.

It makes no difference.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
according to my mother in law soaking them takes the gas out....somebody shoulda told my hubbys body this little fact :rolleyes

Viva Las Espuelas
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
according to my mother in law soaking them takes the gas out....somebody shoulda told my hubbys body this little fact :rolleyesthat takes out all the fun.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
hahahaha.....that's what the Hubby says!

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
I always soak mine overnight in the fridge. And make sure you have enough water over them or they'll soak it all up.

Then I cook them over low heat for several hours (I don't have a set time, just until I like how they turn out), with Bolner's Fiesta pinto bean seasoning, a bay leaf or two and a beer (or two...or three, depends on how many beers I've put in myself before cooking!). Oh and I use salt pork in mine.

There's some show on the food network with some fruity guy named something Brown (Alton?) that Mrs. ASF always tivos. He did a show on beans that was half-way interesting. I'll have to see if she still has it saved.

A quick google reveals the show is called Good Eats With Alton Brown (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea). Actually an entertaining little show. The beans episode was kinda funny.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
There's some show on the food network with some fruity guy named something Brown (Alton?) that Mrs. ASF always tivos. He did a show on beans that was half-way interesting. I'll have to see if she still has it saved.

A new Mrs. ASF, or the old Mrs. ASF? :married:

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I always soak mine overnight in the fridge. And make sure you have enough water over them or they'll soak it all up.

Then I cook them over low heat for several hours (I don't have a set time, just until I like how they turn out), with Bolner's Fiesta pinto bean seasoning, a bay leaf or two and a beer (or two...or three, depends on how many beers I've put in myself before cooking!). Oh and I use salt pork in mine.

It's Alton....and do you put the beer in the beans??

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 02:17 PM
A new Mrs. ASF, or the old Mrs. ASF? :married:

There's only one woman on the planet stupid enough to put up with my crap. And she'd kill me if I said "old"...

:lol

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Yep. Dump it right in while they're cooking!

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Didn't you read my post earlier? I said to pour a beer in it! :lol

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
There's only one woman on the planet stupid enough to put up with my crap. And she'd kill me if I said "old"...

Did you guys officially get back together? :married:

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
We were never "officially" apart, if you're asking what I think you are. The seperation never happened, as far as the state is concerned. I guess you could call it a "trial separation" that failed.

Munchelen
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Didn't you read my post earlier? I said to pour a beer in it! :lol

My bad....I missed that part...I thought you meant that you consumed the beer...... :lol

travis2
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
not a bad assumption, usually...:D

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
My bad....I missed that part...I thought you meant that you consumed the beer...... :lol

I do that too!

That usually determines how many beers I dump in the beans. Sometimes I end up with more "borracho" than "beans".

:drunk

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
For a 5 pound bag I do the following

Soak overnight

Low heat in the morning with

1 package of salt pork diced
2 smoked ham hocks put in whole
1/2 jar Bolner's pinto bean seasoning
5-10 serrano peppers diced
1 bunch cilantro rough chopped
2 1015 onions rough chopped

Cook until onion and cilantro disappear, make sure to get the bones from the hocks out and enjoy with a cold, cold beer.

I do very similar except I don't presoak

5# beans
3 tablespoons lard
1# of bacon ends (coarse chopped)
seasoning (the 1/2 jar of bolners works fine)
1 bunch cilantro
2 1015 onions
6 pickled jalapenos (whole)

Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to a rolling simmer.

I use a screen in the bottom of the pan to keep the beans off the bottom (so they wont burn) and stir just as little as possible.

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
And don't give me shit about the lard. Somethings gonna have to kill me. Might as well be enjoying life and eating good.

You guys can worry about everything and live to 100 and die in bed wearing a diaper and not recognizing your kids if you want to.

AlamoSpursFan
03-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I wonder how those would turn out without the cilantro. I can't stand that stuff. I'll have to try and report back.

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
You guys can worry about everything and live to 100 and die in bed wearing a diaper and not recognizing your kids if you want to.

Yeah ... I don't do drugs, I rarely drink ... I even quit smoking. I can't give up everything. I just can't. :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys....now this little pregnant woman is going to pass out from hunger just thinking about when these things are actually done!!!

Damn Helen...you are knocked up again? Sheeeeeeeeut!

Haven't you figured out how that shit happens yet? :lol

03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I do very similar except I don't presoak

5# beans
3 tablespoons lard
1# of bacon ends (coarse chopped)
seasoning (the 1/2 jar of bolners works fine)
1 bunch cilantro
2 1015 onions
6 pickled jalapenos (whole)

Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to a rolling simmer.

I use a screen in the bottom of the pan to keep the beans off the bottom (so they wont burn) and stir just as little as possible.

Oh, I LIKE the lard idea. Gonna have to try it next go round.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
And don't give me shit about the lard. Somethings gonna have to kill me. Might as well be enjoying life and eating good.

My great grandmother cooked everything with lard and lived to be 102. You might end up being here awhile so start collecting those Depends coupons buddy! :lol

The nice thing for her, however, is she died in her own bed and never needed a caretaker, nursing home, directions to her house from the corner grocery. Of course she lived in the country, caught fish from the streams near her home, had her own chickens and garden, had a "wishing well" style well for water (replaced by a manual pump later in her life) and never had to deal with city living. I'm sure her lifestyle helped her hit the 102 mark. :tu

peewee's lovechild
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Lard is a good thing.
It's never a bad thing.

It's especially good in tamales.

mrsmaalox
03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Lard is a good thing.
It's never a bad thing.

It's especially good in tamales.

It's essential.

thispego
03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
So my mother-in-law! Dreaming of her fried chicken livers....
mrsmaalox - how did you mom in law make them? i'm gonna amke some tomorrow

mrsmaalox
03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
mrsmaalox - how did you mom in law make them? i'm gonna amke some tomorrow
I really never watched her do it, but i can say for sure she fried them in bacon fat! She fried everything in bacon fat! And just from the flavor I think it's a safe guess that all she did was dust them with flour, salt, and pepper. She passed away 4years ago, she was a true country cook.

thispego
03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
nice and simple. my speciality. thanks. and oops, i didnt get livers i got gizzards, i'll do it the same way though.

Shelly
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
So, did you cook your beans and how did they come out?

travis2
03-12-2008, 08:04 AM
how did they come out?

Gaseously, I'd assume...:lol

peewee's lovechild
03-12-2008, 08:35 AM
nice and simple. my speciality. thanks. and oops, i didnt get livers i got gizzards, i'll do it the same way though.

Dude, what do those taste like?

I've never had chicken livers or gizzards.

They sell them at a Church's by where I used to live.
I was very close to buying them at one point, but the thought of it grossed me out.

mrsmaalox
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Dude, what do those taste like?

I've never had chicken livers or gizzards.

They sell them at a Church's by where I used to live.
I was very close to buying them at one point, but the thought of it grossed me out.

I would be hesitant to get them at Church's because my experience is that they need to have a "light" touch. No batter, just lightly dusted with flour. I mean it's rich enough as it is. It would be worth attempting at home. Then I'll try them and tell you if you did it right! :p:

SpursWoman
03-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I made some really awesome black beans inspired by this thread. :tu :)

Munchelen
03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
The beans came out GREAT!!! Thanks for all of the helpful hints! And no the soaking DID NOT take all the gas out!! Although I think my daughter got the worst of it though! :lol

Das Texan
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
at first i thought this was gonna be a take off on those Frost Bank commercials.

Now I'm just hungry. I may have to make me some beans sometime in the near future, maybe even using one of the many recipies in this thread or just say fuck it and throw something together.

Oh and black beans are fucking awesome, too bad Im the only one in my family who likes them.

Munchelen
03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Frost Bank commercial??

Das Texan
03-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Frost Bank commercial??

with the cooking of the brisket.

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
I made some really awesome black beans inspired by this thread. :tu :)

I just use the canned black beans...drain off all the juice and then drop in a can of original rotel juice and all.

yum

Munchelen
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
CC....yes I am having another girl!

CosmicCowboy
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
dang girl! You should change your name to Aphrodite!

Munchelen
03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
lol....I am thinking this might be my last....but it is my husbands first! Soooooo you never know....we might go for that boy for him....

SpursWoman
03-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I just use the canned black beans...drain off all the juice and then drop in a can of original rotel juice and all.

yum

I made the beans from scratch, very similar to how I make pinto beans ... then sauted some red onions and corn and mixed that together with the beans and some left over white rice I had made and it was really good. :)

JoeChalupa
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Cilantro rocks!!!

Viva Las Espuelas
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
man, i used a couple of habaneros in the pot i made last night. whewwwwwwwww. jalapenos, no more.

thispego
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
so it was good or bad?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
so it was good or bad?if you're asking me, then they were great. i think i'll always use habaneros from now on.

bus driver
05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
i have made two good pots and after that every pot has been shit. :pctoss

Viva Las Espuelas
05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Pity

baseline bum
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Never tried habaneros in my beans; I only use poblanos, lol.