PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Hire Kelvin Sampson as Adviser...

GoGatos
03-07-2008, 11:33 AM
The San Antonio Spurs have hired Kelvin Sampson as an adviser, days after he resigned as Indiana University men's basketball coach amid allegations he committed major NCAA rule violations.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/15521390/detail.html?rss=ind&psp=news

Aren't we running the risk of upsetting the basketball Gods with this one? Not a good idea to have bad juju around for the playoffs...

...unless of course he's just advising them on choice of cell phone carriers.

cash459
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
oh no :bang

Herschel Walker
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I see a tampering sanction in the Spurs future.

degenerate_gambler
03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I see a tampering sanction in the Spurs future.

hopefully they put a "no cell phone" clause in his contract to guard against that.. :rolleyes

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
No, they hired Quinn Snyder to coach the Toros. Not bad guys, maybe not cut out for college.

SpursFanFirst
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Weird. I was reading something similar this morning, but it sounded more like he's just hanging out with the team. Apparently, he and Pop are old friends, and Pop said he's welcome to stick around as long as he'd like...but it didn't sound like a job offer.
Maybe that changed.

Steve-O-Matic
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Advising the Spurs on what?

lonestr
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
C'mon fellas, you'd do the same for an old friend. Sampson's a great coach. There's always a need for good advice. Michael Corleone had Tom Hayden.

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Advising the Spurs on what?

Uh... basketball?

Steve-O-Matic
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Uh... basketball?
Uh...no shit. But what part of "basketball" specifically?

jmard5
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Weird. I was reading something similar this morning, but it sounded more like he's just hanging out with the team. Apparently, he and Pop are old friends, and Pop said he's welcome to stick around as long as he'd like...but it didn't sound like a job offer.
Maybe that changed.

I read that article. You might be referring to this:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030708.04C.SPURS_notebook_0307.en.130fa19.html

Sampson in town: Kelvin Sampson, whose forced resignation at Indiana last month as for the time being derailed his collegiate coaching career, has resurfaced in San Antonio.

Sampson, a friend of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's, has been in town observing the Spurs in games and practices this week. He and Popovich have known each other since serving together on George Karl's Team USA staff at the 2002 FIBA World Championships in Indianapolis.

“He's a buddy,” Popovich said. “He's here and we're having fun together, and learning from each other. I want him to look at us, and if he's got a good suggestion, then great.”

Sampson, who was asked to step down at Indiana after the NCAA alleged five major recruiting violations, has an open-ended invitation to stick around with the Spurs for as long as he wants, Popovich said.

Holt's Cat
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Based on the Spurs' domestic scouting success, it probably couldn't hurt.

thebigchill
03-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Why would this be a bad thing? The guy can flat out coach. The NCAA gives me a pain in the ass sometimes the way they zero in on certain guys doing the same stuff everybody else is doing. Let's not fool ourselves. I'm very pleased with this news. I think that's what's great about Pop. No matter how successful he is, he's always open to suggestions or advice. Like how to be a more efficient texter... :p:

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Sampson is a tough bastard who was overzealous in contacting recruits. The NCAA has suffered far worse.

He has a good basketball mind and can point out things the current coaching staff isn't seeing. Down the line, if he wants, he can help evaluate players. But I think this is as much Pop helping Sampson out - building up his resume again to help clear his name. Maybe find a way to get him in the pros.

Holt's Cat
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Given that Sampson has probably texted every single NCAA talent of note over the last few years, this is probably not a bad idea.

MajorMike
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't like him... but he's good.

Bruno
03-07-2008, 12:52 PM
The international pool of players for this year draft is very weak.
Unless Spurs have a hidden project a la Mahinmi, their first round pick will likely be a NCAA guy. It isn't a bad idea to get some extra help to pick the right college player.

MoSpur
03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
He can help in our scouting. No doubt.

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't see how it hurts to have another good basketball mind hanging around to help with a different perspective. If he helps with assessing domestic college players, all the better, but I suspect this is mostly about getting some fresh eyes to look at the Spurs and trying to find ways to improve. Frankly, I wouldn't expect this relationship to last for very long, as I'm sure Sampson will be looking for greener pastures soon. But I'm sure it's a mutually-beneficial relationship for Sampson and Pop.

RonMexico
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Uh...no shit. But what part of "basketball" specifically?

On how to beat the Pacers.

Extra Stout
03-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, I guess we can pencil in the Spurs' upcoming multi-million dollar fine for illegal contact with every high school player in America.

yavozerb
03-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I like the move..Sampson has already scouted many players in college currently and that could assist the spurs come draft day..

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
On how to beat the Pacers.

I'd think he'd be more useful if the Spurs needed to beat the Hoosiers.

I do wonder a bit about whether the Spurs might have an interest this summer in a kid like D.J. White (perhaps a more athletic and skilled Malik Rose kind of player) and Samspon would have some insight into that, though I doubt that there would be any sort of 1-to-1 relationship between an interest in White and hiring Sampson.

Brutalis
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
For some reason this made the news in Arkansas at the end of the news broadcast during sports.

Yet when we won the title last time around they just said "San Antonio beat Cleveland in a 4 game sweep to win their 2nd title in 3 years, now onto girls soccer.."

RonMexico
03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd think he'd be more useful if the Spurs needed to beat the Hoosiers.

I do wonder a bit about whether the Spurs might have an interest this summer in a kid like D.J. White (perhaps a more athletic and skilled Malik Rose kind of player) and Samspon would have some insight into that, though I doubt that there would be any sort of 1-to-1 relationship between an interest in White and hiring Sampson.

Don't you see? Pop pulled a Gene Hackman last night and got thrown out. Sampson coached while wearing a Don Newman costume.

It's just simple science. And you know he knew about the Pacers, since he was probably texting Jim O'Brien non-stop.

FromWayDowntown
03-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't you see? Pop pulled a Gene Hackman last night and got thrown out. Sampson coached while wearing a Don Newman costume.

It's just simple science. And you know he knew about the Pacers, since he was probably texting Jim O'Brien non-stop.

I was blind, but now I see.

I had figured Pop got himself ejected to go and get some pointers on texting, but that would be more difficult if The Great Texter was actually coaching the Spurs -- and I'm sure he was. Budenholzer is such a puppet!

K-State Spur
03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
No, they hired Quinn Snyder to coach the Toros. Not bad guys, maybe not cut out for college.

eh, maybe not a bad person, but as a coach/recruiter, Quinn was pretty sleazy.

SenorSpur
03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Maybe he can loan Pop his address book

Rique
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Honestly I don't think its a bad idea...Truehoop homefly Henry, pretty much hit it on the head with his opinion on his blog

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-31-21/Popping-up-in-San-Antonio--Kelvin-Sampson.html

I can hear you thinking something like: but wait, the Spurs are the choirboys of the NBA! They are pristine and pure! They always dominate those "good guy" lists. Why would they be hanging around with a coach who is shrouded in ethical questions?

And here's where you realize that things the NCAA abhors, like lots of phone calls to players, are simply no big deal in the NBA. (Get this: in the NBA, I've heard they even pay players.)

I know, I know we agree to the rules in advance and we are supposed to follow them. But I just can't see NBA people being really upset at having a guy around who was aggressively trying to get the best players. In the college game, that may be a crime. In the NBA, it's a speeding ticket, and it surprises me none to see Sampson joining his friend in San Antonio.

Not to mention: it's just smart for Popovich. He's risking nothing, and gets to be there for a friend in a time of trouble. Kelvin Sampson will never forget that.

Mr. Body
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
eh, maybe not a bad person, but as a coach/recruiter, Quinn was pretty sleazy.

There was an article about him in his semi-redemption role in Austin. He said he was overwhelmed by the role in Missouri and did a lot of things he truly regretted and appreciated the chance to build up from the bottom. Too much too soon. For what it's worth.

Looks like the NBDL is a place for second chances. Jim Harrick (the UCLA guy, whatever his name is) was there for a bit, but mustered out, ultimately failing.

batboy
03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
You know the thing about this is...

Hold on, I have call.

My phone died but basically Kelvin Sampson really, really wants me to be the third tier copy machine tech in the FO. Like, the subject of oral sex came up.

timvp
03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Based on the Spurs' domestic scouting success, it probably couldn't hurt.Good point. If the Spurs are drafting domestic in 2008, I already trust Sampson more than I trust anyone else in the organization.

Hopefully this leads to another asterisk championship. This time because the "Spurs hired a cheater" or whatever. I'll take #5.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Crap, the Spurs really are like the Patriots.

K-State Spur
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
There was an article about him in his semi-redemption role in Austin. He said he was overwhelmed by the role in Missouri and did a lot of things he truly regretted and appreciated the chance to build up from the bottom. Too much too soon. For what it's worth.

Looks like the NBDL is a place for second chances. Jim Harrick (the UCLA guy, whatever his name is) was there for a bit, but mustered out, ultimately failing.

I can see that. I think Quinn got caught up in the storm that I didn't know how to fight at Mizzou. But instead of fighting it (or at least ignoring it), he actually participated in it.

That said, I have absolutely zero problem with the Torros giving him a chance (I don't even see it as a second chance because nothing he did would be illegal at this level).

j-6
03-07-2008, 06:13 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/phil_taylor/08/22/sprewell/p1.pj.jpg

"Good idea, Kelvin."

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/05/25/sampson.jpg

"thx pj...ttyl"

SpursFanFirst
03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I read that article. You might be referring to this:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030708.04C.SPURS_notebook_0307.en.130fa19.html

Sampson in town: Kelvin Sampson, whose forced resignation at Indiana last month as for the time being derailed his collegiate coaching career, has resurfaced in San Antonio.

Sampson, a friend of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's, has been in town observing the Spurs in games and practices this week. He and Popovich have known each other since serving together on George Karl's Team USA staff at the 2002 FIBA World Championships in Indianapolis.

“He's a buddy,” Popovich said. “He's here and we're having fun together, and learning from each other. I want him to look at us, and if he's got a good suggestion, then great.”

Sampson, who was asked to step down at Indiana after the NCAA alleged five major recruiting violations, has an open-ended invitation to stick around with the Spurs for as long as he wants, Popovich said.

Yep, that's it...I didn't think he was actually HIRED by the Spurs.

oboymeetsogirl
03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Agreed. We could use this guy. Who better to scout NCAA players than a coach who's been studying these kids full-time over the past three years? Spurs have a lot of holes to fill after this season. If Sampson can lead us to one diamond hidden in the rough -- a future Parker, Ginobli, or Bowen -- then he's worth tons.

ploto
03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
If some other team had hired him, the opinions would be the exact opposite. Too predictable.

remingtonbo2001
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Good point. If the Spurs are drafting domestic in 2008, I already trust Sampson more than I trust anyone else in the organization.

Hopefully this leads to another asterisk championship. This time because the "Spurs hired a cheater" or whatever. I'll take #5.

:lol Maybe for #6 we can bring Brian Mcnamee aboard.

K-State Spur
03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
you gotta give him a lot of credit for what he did at OU.

he did have a pretty good budget, but he won (and won big) without much fan support and without much NBA talent.

batboy
03-08-2008, 02:30 AM
It's ok, they're going to take his cell phone and issue him a spork.