PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: Dantoni: "We WILL win a title one of these years soon.."

pussyface
03-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Does anyone else remember this inferior form of bullshit he was spouting at a press conference following one of the Suns recent playoff eliminations?

He got all sentimental and irrational, and attributed the consistent inability of his squad to get over the hump to mere coincidence, rather than the shortcomings of his team. He insisted a title was imminent (sp?) and none of the Suns apologists raised an eyebrow because they thought he was just being a nice guy or something.

I remember his unbelievably irrational reasoning for being certain a championship was en route was "we've got guys here with hearts the size of Phoenix." (pure sentamental trype)

This was something I laughed my ass off at as a non Suns fan, and really goes towards a shortcoming Dantoni has as a leader.

...I wonder if Suns fans will agree with me on this now that the honeymoon phase is over with Mikey Dan.

Findog
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Is this a case of misery enjoys company? As in, at least the Suns aren't getting one over on us?

batboy
03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey at least Dallas might still make the playoffs.

lefty
03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Does anyone else remember this inferior form of bullshit he was spouting at a press conference following one of the Suns recent playoff eliminations?

He got all sentimental and irrational, and attributed the consistent inability of his squad to get over the hump to mere coincidence, rather than the shortcomings of his team. He insisted a title was imminent (sp?) and none of the Suns apologists raised an eyebrow because they thought he was just being a nice guy or something.

I remember his unbelievably irrational reasoning for being certain a championship was en route was "we've got guys here with hearts the size of Phoenix." (pure sentamental trype)

This was something I laughed my ass off at as a non Suns fan, and really goes towards a shortcoming Dantoni has as a leader.

...I wonder if Suns fans will agree with me on this now that the honeymoon phase is over with Mikey Dan.

Well, that makes sense, considering how small Phoenix is

batboy
03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Phoenix metro is f'n huge.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Can we both agree to bury the hatchet? Here's an idea... how's abouts we bury it into D'Antoni?!

I've never agreed with everything you said, and certainly took issue with the timing and how something was said, but even if I wanted to, I couldn't disagree with your comments on D'Antoni.

D'Antoni's system is entirely too dependent upon having the absolute right players with perfect health and stamina and not meeting the team that can exploit their weaknesses. It just requires too much luck, and since you can't base a Title run upon the expectancy of getting all the breaks, it's highly unlikely D'Antoni will ever win an NBA Title.

I could have killed Sarver long ago, but I honestly thought D'Antoni was a solid coach his first few seasons with Phoenix. The first full season I was just in awe of his system. The second full season I couldn't fault him for the team's failings because of the injury devastation and player turnover. But last year I really started to notice his flaws as a coach: his tendency to overplay starters, refusal to develop and employ a 9/10-man bench and his reluctance to actually run plays. Combine these with his constant whining and you have the very reasons Phoenix has lost. This season it's been even worse.

I've posted many times that had the Suns not traded draft pick after draft pick and not signed/extended veteran has-been after veteran bas-been, that they'd be in prime position with a payroll even less than what they have now, problem is such a scenario assumes that D'Antoni would have played the young players. That he would have given them consistent minutes and developed them by placing them in situation where they could succeed.

I've yet to see D'Antoni do such successfully with any non-veteran player. Iavaroni was responsible for Amare and Diaw and Mike's brother Dan was responsible for Barbosa. I mean, realistically, that's it as far as young players.

Findog
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Ironically, Avery and D'Antoni might do better if they swapped jobs. Phoenix needs a guy who will make the players accountable, while Dallas needs a coach who isn't a control freak and will STFU every once in while and let his guys just play.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2008, 05:03 PM
You could be right. I hated to see Skiles get fired for Kidd and Hardaway's revolt.

Skiles is available. I think the Suns should go all NHL on the League, axe D'Antoni and hire Skiles for the playoff push.

m33p0
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Ironically, Avery and D'Antoni might do better if they swapped jobs. Phoenix needs a guy who will make the players accountable, while Dallas needs a coach who isn't a control freak and will STFU every once in while and let his guys just play.
could happen this summer.