PDA

View Full Version : Fla. mom who power-washed tot may face charges

Southwest Texas Fan
03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
By John Springer
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 11:17 a.m. CT, Fri., March. 7, 2008
A Florida mother caught on tape using a pressurized hose at a car wash to discipline her toddler daughter could end up in hot water after police meet Friday to consider filing child endangerment charges.

“She appeared [to be] a parent who thought she was disciplining her child for acting up. It’s a unique form of punishment that I don’t think anyone has ever seen,” Commander Matt Irwin of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Friday on TODAY. “It’s not acceptable in my mind.”

The incident began on Feb. 24 when a white Hyundai Elantra pulled into a self-service bay at the Magical Car Wash in Orlando.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although children often can be heard screaming and carrying on, manager Marlene Diaz told TODAY’s David Gregory that the shrieks she heard from one little girl that day were quite different and disturbing.

“The screams were more high-pitched. There were more cries of help,” Diaz said.

Diaz went to investigate the commotion but did not intervene. She did not get the full picture until later, when she reviewed her company’s security camera recordings.

“When I saw her, her face was red. You could see that she was crying, and that [by] the way she was crying that she was in distress,” Diaz said.

Summoned by Diaz, police later determined that the toddler’s mother, who is 22 and five months pregnant, pulled into the car wash for the sole purpose of hosing down her daughter — possibly for wetting herself in the backseat of the car.

At the end of the surveillance tape of the incident, which police seized as potential evidence, the woman is seen stripping her daughter’s soaked clothes off and wrapping her up in a towel.

Tough love or child abuse?
Diaz said she struggled to imagine what infraction the child could have committed to warrant being hosed down like that, and couldn’t come up with any excuse for the mother’s action. She said it was clear that the woman was trying to teach the child some sort of lesson.

“The mother was speaking in Spanish,” Diaz said. “She said, ‘You are not going to disrespect me. You are not going to treat me bad. Don’t worry, I’m not going to hit you now. I’m just going to spray you with cold water.’”

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, wow .... I've shot cold water at mine with the kitchen sink sprayer-thingy before, but they weren't toddlers when I did it.

That's terrible, she could have really hurt her with that thing. :(

SpursWoman
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
oh nooo!!!!!!!!!

not COLD WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pressurized cold water, I'm sure, can hurt like a bitch. :fro

boutons_
03-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Cool, sorta like tasers for moms.

"don't power-wash me, Mo" WHOOSH!!!

ChuckD
03-07-2008, 10:19 PM
If it were actually a power washer, she should go to jail. Those things can remove skin.

That being said, the "wand on" setting of a stall car wash is about 10% of the pressure of a power washer. I'm sure it was cold, and the child didn't like it, and she shouldn't have done it, but I don't think it's criminal.

midgetonadonkey
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
What's the big deal? She wrapped her in a towel afterwards. Now that's love.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-08-2008, 12:13 AM
yell at the bitch, inform her she's a bad parent

but is that really worse than state custody of the child?

Considering good ol' Al Zimmerman used to work for the state agency in charge of child services, you're more than right.

PM5K
03-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Water is one thing, but I've been to that type of car wash many a time, and I've tried to use the sprayer to clean soap off my hand, it can really hurt like a bitch if you put it too close, and if her face was red it's certainly possible she did put it close.

I'd give her the benefit of the doubt based on what she said, she didn't even think it was as bad as spanking her, in reality it probably was, but sometimes people make mistakes.

PM5K
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
and how old is the kid

"toddler"

5, 4, 3, 2?

makes a difference

Toddler should be between one and three, she shouldn't be wetting her pants at four or five...

Heath Ledger
03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Couldn't have been any colder than the swim on the way over...

marini martini
03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Toddler should be between one and three, she will be wetting her pants at four or five...

Count on it!

mrsmaalox
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Pretty mean. Thank goodness she didn't spray the kid in the face.

BigZak
03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
it doesn't wet it's pants or it gets the hose again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrA2k1zasm8

RashoFan
03-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Pressurized cold water, I'm sure, can hurt like a bitch. :fro
I can say from personal expierence, pressurized water at a warm temp hurts like hell!!!

RashoFan
03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Still, the mother did not have to use the car wash pressurized wand on the child, Most of those places have a sink to rinse off chamoises, she could have gotten water from there instead.

Herschel Walker
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Another future adult who will require psychiatric help to urinate.

Remember kids, peeing is not caused by the devil. You will not go to hell for doing it.

SpursWoman
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Another future adult who will require psychiatric help to urinate.

Remember kids, peeing is not caused by the devil. You will not go to hell for doing it.

What the hell? :lol

PM5K
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Still, the mother did not have to use the car wash pressurized wand on the child, Most of those places have a sink to rinse off chamoises, she could have gotten water from there instead.

And it would have been free....

mikejones99
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Florida + single mom = disaster