PDA

View Full Version : Pop must give some playtime to Matt Bonner

timaios
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Matt can take rebonds, shoot the 3, he has a good midjumper, he shoot the FT at 94 %.
Besides he is young and tough !

Ok, he's not a good defender, but with some significant minutes he could improve his game.
He need some trust from Pop. It's difficult to be a good player when your coach has no faith in you.

Horry can be good for 4 or 5 minutes and be lazy for 4 or 5 minutes.
His game is very inconsistant... and his shoot %.
I know he's a better defender than Bonner, but once again, i think Matt need some minutes to become a really good player for the spurs.

Maybe it will not work, but Pop should try.

Share your own opinions.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
hi matt's bonner's mom

SequSpur
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I definitely agree, he could be a starter in the Eastern Conference and probably make the hall of fame.

ChuckD
03-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you even follow the games? Bonner just played a huge amount of minutes against Indy. Everyone on the roster will get minutes with all of the B2B games this month.

watertorture
03-08-2008, 01:59 PM
No.

Horry needs his minutes so the rust flakes off before playoffs.

timaios
03-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Do you even follow the games? Bonner just played a huge amount of minutes against Indy. Everyone on the roster will get minutes with all of the B2B games this month.

Exactly, and he was good, that's why i am asking the question.

jag
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
hi matt's bonner's mom

haha

BIG z
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
He doesnt know who to pass the ball.... actually no one the team knows how to pass the ball, how hard is to make a simple pass in the post or a lob when Duncan is fronted...

timaios
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Interesting stats

Matt Bonner +/- for the season = +58
Robert Horry = -13
http://www.nba.com/statistics/lenovo/lenovo_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=22007&split=9&team=Spurs

Best 5 players combinations
Bowen Duncan Ginobili Parker Bonner = +47
http://www.nba.com/statistics/lenovo/lenovo_sort.jsp?pcomb=5&season=22007&split=9&team=Spurs

Best 4 players combinations
http://www.nba.com/statistics/lenovo/lenovo_sort.jsp?pcomb=4&season=22007&split=9&team=Spurs
Bonner is in the 4th, 5th, and 6th best 4 players combinations

Budkin
03-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Bonner is terrible when it counts. Keep him benched.

Emeyin
03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
No.

some_user86
03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
People keep ragging on Bonner, but I just don't see reason for the hate.

He's pretty good, his defense is improving, and I think most people who rag on him don't really watch the game that much.

loveforthegame
03-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I've criticized Bonner this season but I thought he would have been a good matchup on Najera. He would have matched his hustle and energy better than Horry or Duncan. He can step back and hit the 3 pointer as well. I thought he should have been given the chance at least.

Holt's Cat
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Bonner's getting minutes as the team has 4 games in 5 nights and 5 in 7 or whatever it is.

He hasn't done terribly, but he hasn't exactly been stellar.

some_user86
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
The problem is that he is competing against history. We know Horry's history, and we expect him to be ready by the time playoffs start. Given that Horry's BBIQ is off the charts, it's enough to keep Bonner locked to the bench. We have to give Horry his due minutes until we're sure that he is done. The question is that when we do realize that he's done, will it be too late?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-09-2008, 02:25 AM
I always felt Bonner can and will be a nice little spark plug off the beach and still feel that way.

I was ecstatic to see Pop give him a second chance because I thought he would find a way to contribute, he just needs to work on not having so many missed rotations and crawling back into the doghouse.

T Park
03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
He will find minutes tommarow against Denver.

Not today though, too important a game and too big and physical

DarrinS
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm just glad he spells his last name with two n's.

Indazone
03-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Bonner leads the Spurs in a critical statistic. DNP

LOL

Twisted_Dawg
03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Why Bonner?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73130&page=1&pp=26

Indazone
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Why Bonner?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73130&page=1&pp=26

Haha, you got our version of Steve Novak. Which by the way every NBA team has one. Slow deadeye white shooter who can't play defense.

Bruno
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't like at all what Pop is doing with Horry/Bonner.

Pop is gambling on the fact that Horry will turn it on for the playoffs and with all the respect I have for Horry, it's far from being a sure thing.

If Pop's gamble on Horry doesn't work, Spurs will need Bonner and Bonner won't be able to help Spurs if he hasn't played for months. Letting Bonner in the doghouse like Pop does is a unnecessary risky move.

remingtonbo2001
03-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Pop will start increasing Horry's minutes the last 15 games.

He might be inclined to give him some minutes today, because it's against a quality opponent.

Indazone
03-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Pop will start increasing Horry's minutes the last 15 games.

He might be inclined to give him some minutes today, because it's against a quality opponent.

haha nice sig.

T Park
03-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't like at all what Pop is doing with Horry/Bonner.

Pop is gambling on the fact that Horry will turn it on for the playoffs and with all the respect I have for Horry, it's far from being a sure thing.

If Pop's gamble on Horry doesn't work, Spurs will need Bonner and Bonner won't be able to help Spurs if he hasn't played for months. Letting Bonner in the doghouse like Pop does is a unnecessary risky move.

Bonner isn't or won't be ready, Horry in games has shown he can play.

I've got full confidence in Robert horry, don't know why you don't.

Indazone
03-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Big Shot Bob...yeah gotta give him some burn to get him ready for playoffs.

Bruno
03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I've got full confidence in Robert horry, don't know why you don't.

Damn I'm stupid for considering that Horry, who is 37 years old and has his worst regular season, could maybe suck during the playoffs. :rolleyes

Horry will maybe again step up during the playoffs but it's very risky to consider that as a sure thing.

With Bonner, Spurs had a quite solid plan B in case Horry sucked during the playoffs. Pop is currently destroying this plan B by not playing at all Bonner.

td4mvp21
03-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Damn I'm stupid for considering that Horry, who is 37 years old and has his worst regular season, could maybe suck during the playoffs. :rolleyes

Horry will maybe again step up during the playoffs but it's very risky to consider that as a sure thing.

With Bonner, Spurs had a quite solid plan B in case Horry sucked during the playoffs. Pop is currently destroying this plan B by not playing at all Bonner.

Bonner got his chance with minutes and he never did anything consistently. He played poor defense. In the Houston game, he fucked up the play Pop had set up. I would surely hope he wasn't the Spurs' plan B.

timaios
03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Bump

Matt Bonner 14:45 min 4-8 fg 1-3 3pt (+/-) +8 2Rbs 1stl 1blk 1to 10 pts

He brings something to this team.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Good bump. It was a good confidence game for Bonner.

For everyone in addition to Bonnner as well.

Tigole Bitties
03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/507_cartman_redrocket.gif/200px-507_cartman_redrocket.gif

Dave McNulla
03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Matt can take rebonds, shoot the 3, he has a good midjumper, he shoot the FT at 94 %.
Besides he is young and tough !

Ok, he's not a good defender, but with some significant minutes he could improve his game.
He need some trust from Pop. It's difficult to be a good player when your coach has no faith in you.

Horry can be good for 4 or 5 minutes and be lazy for 4 or 5 minutes.
His game is very inconsistant... and his shoot %.
I know he's a better defender than Bonner, but once again, i think Matt need some minutes to become a really good player for the spurs.

Maybe it will not work, but Pop should try.

Share your own opinions.when bonner is hitting all the threes he takes, i can see having him out there. when he isn't, i don't like it. when he gets rebounds, he dribbles the ball and takes bad shots inside. that dunk was a huge exception, but not the general rule. he should never dribble the ball again in his life. and his defense makes me vomit.

Bruno
03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Let's hope Pop will continue to give Bonner some playing time. He could be a really good insurance for the playoffs.

T Park
03-10-2008, 11:27 PM
In the Houston game, he fucked up the play Pop had set up

UH wrong.

The play got broken so Bonner volunteered to take the shot.

Hes got cojones, he just missed it.

Why you blame the play being broken on bonner is beyond me.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-10-2008, 11:30 PM
when bonner is hitting all the threes he takes, i can see having him out there. when he isn't, i don't like it. when he gets rebounds, he dribbles the ball and takes bad shots inside. that dunk was a huge exception, but not the general rule. he should never dribble the ball again in his life. and his defense makes me vomit.
Bonner so far has had problems knowing his role.

I don't like it when he forces up a shot or doesn't make the extra pass or flubs a defensive rotation. I remember seeing an Horry camera shot of him looking from the Bench when Matty caused an immediate turnover. He didn't look too proud. :lol

But yeah, I think this game was good for him, and his teammates belief in him.