PDA

View Full Version : Manu - The Real Leader of the Team?

The Truth #6
03-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Last night in an interview on TNT, Damon said that Manu was the only one who talked during half-time. Damon made it sound like everyone else on the team was relaxed and Manu did all the motivational speaking. Looking back, I wonder if Damon was exaggerating a bit, nonetheless, I never knew that Manu was the dominant voice during half-time.

san antonio spurs
03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Last night in an interview on TNT, Damon said that Manu was the only one who talked during half-time. Damon made it sound like everyone else on the team was relaxed and Manu did all the motivational speaking. Looking back, I wonder if Damon was exaggerating a bit, nonetheless, I never knew that Manu was the dominant voice during half-time.

It was on ESPN I believe, and I don't think it's surprising because Tim is more of silent leader and Manu seems like a born leader. He's like Avery :lol

LocosPorJuana
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
players like manu and Luifa were born to lead. They led argentina to a victory over the imperial US, so movitational speaking should not be a problem. What amazes me is manu's willingness to sacrifice, that's what really makes a leader.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, those were cool comments by Damon.
When they mentioned all the places Manu's been and continued competitive success. I think it's safe to say it's a pretty innate quality.

Pretty convenient to have another competitively driven, proven selfless winner in addition to Timmy. I'm sure the FO didn't think they'd be getting THAT much from a 57th pick. :lol

TMTTRIO
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I do think his leadership has improved somewhat and I have seen him talking to some of the guys more (especially at the beginning of the season). I remember though Pop saying something about Manu needing to improve his leadership a year or two ago and how Manu really kind of stood back from that role because he didn't feel like he was a major part of the team to take on that leadership role like he would with his national team.

Sec24Row7
03-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Watch Manu bring everyone into the huddles now when they are playing.

I don't know that he is taking over for Tim, but he definitely feels more comfortable speaking now.

WalterBenitez
03-08-2008, 04:15 PM

What the hell he said? everyone were sleeping? if that was the result of Manu speaking, POP should change the speaker :nerd

JamStone
03-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Vocal leader, it very much seems like it. Still think the Spurs are led by Pop more than any of the players.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Agreed, I don't know if Pop could have benched late 90's MJ down 15 with 6 minutes left.

I don't know if the players taking that "equals" route with Pop, like the Jordan-Phil Jackson bulls. But then again, it was MJ.

Princess Pimp
03-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Manu Ginobili is the Best player the Spurs have.

Brutalis
03-08-2008, 06:00 PM
And MJ was good but a different generation of ballers. Kobe in prime would kill MJ in prime, off subject just my opinion.

It's all different. In this day in age you need different kinds of leaders than before. And personally I'm glad we chose the silent warrior type with just a pure passion to win.

duncan228
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
The Spurs are the true definition of a team.
I think each player has a role, both on the court and in the locker room.

Duncan is the captain, it's his team and I have no doubt that he is their leader.
I think Duncan is much more vocal in his leadership than he was a few years ago. He talks to his teammates on the court, in the huddles, and when they come off the court. (As well as patting their heads. :lol) But he still leads more by example than words.

Manu is a strong personality, both in his game and his speaking abilities.
Parker runs the ship as the point guard.
And of course Pop is the "head of the snake, what makes us go" as Duncan has said many times.

Each one of them plays an important part in why this team is so successful. Their different personalities bring something to the team as a whole. They obviously respect each other, they're all selfless, they all care more about winning than their individual glory. It all blends together perfectly, as the banners hanging in the rafters prove.

ClingingMars
03-08-2008, 07:16 PM
players like manu and Luifa were born to lead. They led argentina to a victory over the imperial US

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

-Mars

SenorSpur
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Don't get it twisted folks. When there is a missed assignment or an on-court error -even by Manu - the culprit answers to Duncan.

it's me
03-08-2008, 07:54 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao No way... this team has only one leader Tim Duncan… Manu does whatever he thinks he has to do to win a game, sometimes he talks more, sometimes he just plays hard without saying a word, dude just wants to win. :smokin

bdictjames
03-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Parker sucked last night. Manu and Tim have better games without him turning the ball over and hogging it. Last night was a horrible game to watch for me, and I always cringe every time Parker gets to touch the ball.

ducks
03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I do not know
when tp is agressive the spurs win
maybe he is a leader

I think their is more then one leader on the team though
I think the quick start on the spurs hurt them they thought it was going to be a cakewalk the rest of the night and it was not
kind of suprised their was not a run in the second half though

ducks
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Parker sucked last night. Manu and Tim have better games without him turning the ball over and hogging it. Last night was a horrible game to watch for me, and I always cringe every time Parker gets to touch the ball.
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

td4mvp21
03-08-2008, 08:12 PM
This is Duncan's team. You don't have to be vocal to be a leader.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-08-2008, 08:13 PM
although, i really don't agree with the thread title of this thread :lol
It's not *that* funny of a suggestion.
You can have more than one leader, or players that lead in different ways, like duncan228 said.

Even Horry is a leader for the team in some regards.
I don't think Spurs have the kind of leadership, that play to the inane Shaq-like takes of "Peking Order"...
That said, I think Duncan displays the most poise.
(He's also led our team to be better whiners as well. j/k)

it's me
03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I do not know
when tp is agressive the spurs win
maybe he is a leader

I think their is more then one leader on the team though
I think the quick start on the spurs hurt them they thought it was going to be a cakewalk the rest of the night and it was not
kind of suprised their was not a run in the second half though

That’s right … wait a minute... when he’s out “injured” we still win on the road…. :donkey

m33p0
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
one of duncan's lieutenants. duncan is the captain of this ship. damon is a new recruit so he doesn't know better.

m33p0
03-08-2008, 08:25 PM
oh, wait. now i see what you're doing.

CoM vs CoT.

FOOD FIGHT!!!!

ducks
03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
That’s right … wait a minute... when he’s out “injured” we still win on the road…. :donkey
I said one of the leaders
spurs won without duncan and manu before
then who was the leader :donkey

porscha
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
it is always so nice to see manu talks to players b4 the play after the play all the time.
manu wants to win :clap

it's me
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I said one of the leaders
spurs won without duncan and manu before
then who was the leader :donkey

probably Elson :lol :lol

hsxvvd
03-08-2008, 08:36 PM
It was on ESPN I believe, and I don't think it's surprising because Tim is more of silent leader and Manu seems like a born leader. He's like Avery :lol

Like Avery without the whinny bitch voice.

greens
03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I think at this point, the Spurs have three main leaders on their team. That's Tim/Manu/Tony...They have played basically for 6 years together. When the team is struggling, all three usually take control. They have bigger responsibilities. And I think it helps to have on a team more than one leader, it takes pressure off of other people.

Also, I think I've heard a lot about how Bruce and Robert Horry also offer a ton of leadership and are very talkative during the game.

So who knows...I don't think the Spurs have "one" leader in the essence of the word. I'd say the Big Three share equal leadership at the moment...

Princess Pimp
03-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Manu is the leader on the spurs team.

Duncan is too quiet, too shy, he has no leadership.

duncan228
03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Manu is the leader on the spurs team.

Duncan is too quiet, too shy, he has no leadership.

For a Suns fan you sure think you know a lot about the Spurs.

This is Duncan's team. It has been since 2003 and it will be until he retires.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2008, 01:34 AM
true you dont to be vocal

all tim does is stares at you and you know you better step yo ur game.

we all heard of tims vocals, cheryl....

Bianconera
03-09-2008, 02:19 AM
It's not surprising at all! It's not the first time Manu did this.
He's talktive and passionate both on the court and off the court.
He likes to motivate his teamates using his words, while Tim choose to use his behavors.
I think both ways of encouraging are necessary. A team needs both an active leader and a cool-headed leader.
Tim and Manu are about the same age. They are definitely the leaders of the team, but of different kinds. The others respect and admire both of them. :toast

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 02:25 AM
For a Suns fan you sure think you know a lot about the Spurs.

This is Duncan's team. It has been since 2003 and it will be until he retires.

It (Princess Pimp) lives in San Antonio and just trolls as a fan of whatever team they think is hot at the moment. I guess it picked the wrong team lately. How many games have the Suns lost 7 of 11?

duncan228
03-09-2008, 02:30 AM
It (Princess Pimp) lives in San Antonio and just trolls as a fan of whatever team they think is hot at the moment. I guess it picked the wrong team lately. How many games have the Suns lost 7 of 11?

:)

It sounds a lot like fast dunk.
Or did he only pick teams that were thorns for the Spurs?

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 02:31 AM
I think Parker, Manu and Duncan do their fair share of leading. Duncan is Duncan and everyone looks to him for guidance. He's not necessarily vocal ALL the time, but I believe he often is vocal and he obviously leads by example. Parker has been a captain for a long time and I think that the team looks to him for leadership more than some of you may imagine.

I believe Manu is a good in-game vocal leader because he is very passionate and expressive. It's like it KILLS Manu to lose. (I'm not saying it doesn't kill the other players). But you can see that it physically that Manu gets infuriated from losses as he plays the game with every ounce of his passion and soul. He explodes at himself when he screws up, so I'd imagine he's awesome person to vocally motivate the team or light a fire under their ass when they need it.

carina_gino20
03-09-2008, 05:03 AM

:lmao

I still think Tim's the captain, with Manu, Bruce, Tony, and sometimes Rob sometimes taking over during games. Tim may not be vocal, but Pop and the whole team have said lots of times that what makes him so effective is that he leads by example, not just words.

kskonn
03-09-2008, 05:19 AM
To me the best comparison I can give Manu is to Mario Ellie in 99. He is the emotional leader, the guy who comes around when things are flat and says, hey get off your ass and make some shit happen. Tim is the ultimate leader, tim may not speak as a
"leader" much but when Tim speaks people listen. Tim is the rock, the constant, Manu is the catalyst, and Tony is a little of all. The best part is that none of them care, they obviously know where they stand and are fine with their rolls, so I could care less as long as it works.