PDA

View Full Version : Smallball D at the 3

Fabbs
03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Michael Findawg continues to get my, make that all of our props for his 2007 playoff performance.
It's booked.

However, Findawg has shown a propensity for getting burned bigtime on D vs the top offensive 3s. Josh Howard got him pretty good the other night, altho we prevailed, and Marshmello Anthony lit him up in the 3rd qtr after Manu had to sit for 3 breathing fouls on Anthony and Iverson. In 2006s nightmare on Dirk Street series, i think Findawgs D cost as much as his O gave vs Dallas. Of course with Dick Bavetta sniffing Dirk I don't think a supercombination of all the defensive players of the year combined in history at the 3 spot could have stopped Dirk n Dick.....

So, moving forward, what is the plan at defensive 3 for the playoffs? Ime got flustered last night and allowed the Nuggest some easy foul calls. I think he will learn from that. Do we continue with a Finley-Ime combo at the 3?

What do we do if we face a playoff opponent with a premeir scoring 3?

Kori Ellis
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
They could have just left Bruce on Carmelo. He did a great job in the first half on him.

It was just a dumb move by Pop.

san antonio spurs
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I understood Pop's move, however he was stubborn to not correct it immedialtely once he saw it wasn't working.

Pop saw Melo frustrated, he had 3 fouls and was 1 for 8. He thought he was contained and Finley's size was going to bother him. On the other hand Iverson was lights out and needed to be shut down. My problem with Pop is that once he saw Melo hitting 8 straight points he didn't put Bowen back on him. I believe Ime would've done a good job on Iverson rather than on Anthony.

Pop's move was well thought, however once it didn't work he stuck with it, which is why the spurs lost.

Fabbs
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
In last years playoffs Bruce mostly guarded Iverson, correct?

So while i agree that Pop should have kept Bruce on Marshmello during Fri nights game, what's the plan when the opponents have both a high scoring guard and an offensive athletic 3 like Denver and Golden State?

batboy
03-09-2008, 03:38 PM
What do we do if we face a playoff opponent with a premeir scoring 3?

We sweep them in the Finals.