PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Green waived by Rockets

FvckMavs
03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5603689.html
"The Rockets signed former Rice forward and fan favorite Mike Harris, who impressed in training camp this season, to a 10-day contract, releasing guard Gerald Green to make room on the roster for Harris."

Do we still have money to pick him up after signing Barry? This guy has attitude problem though.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-08-2008, 04:53 PM
wow, sucks to be him. Isn't Houston his hometown?

AFBlue
03-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have enough money to sign him to a 10-day contract at least, and I think he'd be worth a shot.

Hell, at least he'd provide depth while the Spurs wait for Barry to get back in a Spurs uni.

freemeat
Gerald Green? Like James White with 'tude, no? Pass.

AFBlue
wow, sucks to be him. Isn't Houston his hometown?

Yep...

He's even got a tatoo on his arm of the Houston skyline and "Houston" underneath it.

AFBlue
03-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Gerald Green? Like James White with 'tude, no? Pass.

No, he's like James White with actual basketball skill.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I guess if there is no one the Spurs think would help in the playoffs -- it would kind of suck if Barry got reinjured and we had no one who could step in.

2centsworth
03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Gerald Green is worth a flyer.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
He's young, I'm sure he has time to mature or correct whatever attitude problem he has. Hopefully.

freemeat
03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Can we sign Harrison this summer?

Bruno
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Green isn't eligible to be send down in D-League because he is in his third NBA year. It's problematic when you are a young player who needs to improve your fundamentals.

I think the best solution for the 15th spot is Marcus Williams. He has been very good in D-League for one month and I've been impressed when I've seen him play.

Bring back Marcus, he is a stud. :)

ThomasGranger
03-08-2008, 05:18 PM
He's young, I'm sure he has time to mature or correct whatever attitude problem he has. Hopefully.

Nothing like getting bounced around the league and then cut by the hometown team to bring a young player back to earth.

Odd, though, that Houston played him only 4 minutes the whole time he was there. That hardly seems like enough floor time to evaluate a player. I guess either the attitude problem was pretty bad or he didn't impress in practices.

At any rate, +1 on what Bruno said about Marcus.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, as far as a combination of being able to contribute now and potentially down the road, I'd have to go with Marcus at this point. I like the potential of guys like Sean Banks and Stephane Lasme, but it would be asking a whole lot of them to step in this season in case of an injury. Marcus is looking more and more comfortable out there and his outside shot has improved greatly. He's not the kind of man defender we dream of, but he has decent movement and plays the lanes well enough to disrupt opposing offenses.

hsxvvd
03-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm sure somebody will give this guy a look. I remember draft day, when he slipped to Boston, Steven A Smith. Abusing teams for not drafting the guy! :lol

Indazone
03-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Gerald Green needs to pack it in and go play for North Carolina or Florida. Learn how to play the game first.

timvp
03-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Green would be a nice low risk addition as the team's 15th man. Let him sit in street clothes for the rest of the year and see if he matures past his current fifth grade level. If he does, let him play in summer league and see if he's made any progress. If he doesn't you cut him. Basically, put him on the James White plan.

CD, do you know if the Toros game tonight is going to be available via webcast? I gotta checkout this new supposedly NBA ready version of MW. The last time I saw him play he looked improved but still a long ways away.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I think some of Albuquerque's games have been webcasted, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that would make me worry about a Green signing is the potential for injuries to our swingmen. If we are just looking for someone who can play in the NBA right now, go ahead and get DerMarr with orders to stand at the arc and shoot.

GuerillaBlack
03-08-2008, 08:14 PM
He will be signed by the Rockets in the offseason. Is basketball IQ is really low, so that is why he was waived.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Why would they want him back if they waived him for being stupid?

AFBlue
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
As "green" as Green is, I think his NBA experience gives him the edge over Williams, though I like Williams' long-term potential with this team much more.

I would sign him to a couple ten day contracts to evaluate him, then make the decision whether to keep him for the rest of the season when they sign Barry.

Mr. Body
03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow, from the dunk contest to out of the league in a few short weeks.

This is very bad for Green. Talk of how big a bust he is should start about now. He's an idiot for never being able to stick with a team -- very bad attitude, me-first, entitled.

Good riddance. Give the spot to someone deserving.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
this guy reminds me of tshiskskldsislsdisss watever his name is the white trash euro nuggets wasted there lottery pick on a few seasons ago

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 09:12 PM
CD, do you know if the Toros game tonight is going to be available via webcast?It's working.

timvp
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
It's working.Yeah no volume though, right?

Fillmoe
03-08-2008, 09:17 PM
i seriously thought gerald green would be pretty good in the league.... what the fuck happened?

timvp
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
It's working.Stopped working for me. Can you still see it?

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Stopped working for me. Can you still see it?No :pctoss

remingtonbo2001
03-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Why would they want him back if they waived him for being stupid?

Stupid is as stupid does.

timvp
03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
No :pctossBuffering .......... 2 seconds ..... Buffering .............

I guess I'll try another game :depressed

remingtonbo2001
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Buffering .......... 2 seconds ..... Buffering .............

I guess I'll try another game :depressed

NO and HOU on NBA TV.

It beats waiting for a bum connection.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
That stinks. Marcus has 8 points on 4/5 shooting and 4 assists after the 1st quarter.

Cheyne Gadson has 12 on 5/6 shooting.

Ian was playing but it sounds like he tweaked an ankle. He's still in.

T Park
03-08-2008, 09:43 PM
That would be something if Williams developed into someone decent.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Marcus is working on a triple double. 14 pts, 7 reb and 5 ast with three to go in the 1st half.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 10:14 PM
At the half, Marcus has 17 pts on 8/10 shooting, 8 reb and 5 ast.

Gadson has 19 on 8/10 and 5 assists as well.

Justin Bowen has 11 pts on 5/6 shooting and 2 boards.

Ian has 2 pts, 4 boards and 2 fouls in about 11 minutes.

Toros lead 61-56.

ace3g
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I think of all the prospects on the team, the spurs should really look at Marcus and Bowen

Bowen and Marcus are putting up good rebounding numbers over the season

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I think of all the prospects on the team, the spurs should really look at Marcus and Bowen

Bowen and Marcus are putting up good rebounding numbers over the season

Marcus is more closer to udoka in terms of where they are now atm...

Bowen is on a lvl that when you reach NIRVANA you will see him

AFBlue
03-08-2008, 10:46 PM
What I find funny is all the Williams love on this board, when damn near everyone wrote him off after the ten SL games and a shaky training camp. I think it was pretty clear that the Spurs thought this kid was good when they took him with the 33rd pick in the draft....they just didn't think he was ready.

And to be honest, I'm not sure he's ready now. That means the Spurs should take a flier on a guy that doesn't HAVE to contribute for the rest of this season, but can step up if needed....a kid like Gerald Green.

After all, I seriously doubt anyone is going to snatch up Marcus Williams and sign him to a multi-year deal. He'll come to Spurs training camp next Summer and if he shows how much he's improved, he'll make the team then. Best now to keep him developing in Austin...

I'm all for getting Green....probably as good or better than Jeremy Richardson.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Green will have no chance to step up after the regular season. Given the health and age of our swingmen, that's my only real concern.

The Toros are running the T-Birds out of the gym. That kind of tempo really benefits Williams.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2008, 10:54 PM
score update CD

robbie380
03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow, from the dunk contest to out of the league in a few short weeks.

This is very bad for Green. Talk of how big a bust he is should start about now. He's an idiot for never being able to stick with a team -- very bad attitude, me-first, entitled.

Good riddance. Give the spot to someone deserving.

agreed. green needs to take the route of the guy the rockets signed in his place mike harris. he has to go overseas to get some coaching and game time and maybe that will humble his ass a bit too.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
96-81 Toros after 3.

Ian not playing, ankle must have kept him out.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
seriously if IAN and MARCUS isnt ready for next season,

are the spurs going to fill the roster spots with veterans? cose theres about 4 spots thats going to be vacant i assume

Mr. Body
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
What I find funny is all the Williams love on this board, when damn near everyone wrote him off after the ten SL games and a shaky training camp.

What the hell are you talking about? What Williams love? He's still written off by most everyone on this board.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
T-Birds close it to three led by Julius Hodge and Josh Gross. 5:20 left in the game.

ace3g
03-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm still undecided on Marcus Williams, I just noticed that his rebounding and PPG have improved over the season, as well as his 3 point shooting, still not sure how his defense is because I never have seen him play for the Toros

AFBlue
03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
What the hell are you talking about? What Williams love? He's still written off by most everyone on this board.

Read the two pages of this thread...

No one has said anything bad about Williams and a few have advocated that he be the one called up to join this team. I'd say that's a far cry from the multitude of posters that discounted him after just a few summer league performances.

And I would say that he's a much better bet to make the Spurs long-term than any of the prospects they've trotted out this year (Washington, Langford, Johnson, Richardson).

Besides, you're probably still butt-hurt over them passing on Derrick Byars...wait where is he now? Just kidding dude, we're cool.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Marcus hits four straight free throws in the final 15 seconds and grabs the last rebound before the last foul to put the game away. Toros win 119-114.

ace3g
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Williams hit 4 clutch FT to help the Toros win

Toros Final Thunderbirds
119 114

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
so what was williams stats for the game?

ace3g
03-08-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20080308/AUSABQ/livestats.html

link to boxscore

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Marcus' line:

39:57 min
33 pts
13-18 fg
2-4 3pt
5-9 ft
11 reb
5 ast
3 pf
1 to
1 st
1 blk

The T-Birds assistant coach confirms that they tried to trade for Cheyne Gadson.

ace3g
03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
MW: 33 pts, 11 boards, 5 assists

ThomasGranger
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I wonder if Marcus has been working with Chip. At the beginning of the season his shot was horrible, but his field goal percentages have gotten a lot better, and judging by his games stats over the last few weeks it looks like he may even become a decent 3 point shooter.

ChumpDumper
03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Marcus still doesn't shoot that many threes, but in the last 11 games since February 1, he's 13/23 from the arc. His release is also faster than before. I'm still not sure what he will do in the NBA, but he is definitely improving as a basketball player.

Mr. Body
03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Read the two pages of this thread...

No one has said anything bad about Williams and a few have advocated that he be the one called up to join this team. I'd say that's a far cry from the multitude of posters that discounted him after just a few summer league performances.

And I would say that he's a much better bet to make the Spurs long-term than any of the prospects they've trotted out this year (Washington, Langford, Johnson, Richardson).

Besides, you're probably still butt-hurt over them passing on Derrick Byars...wait where is he now? Just kidding dude, we're cool.

I don't think people are hugely excited about Williams, except happy he's turning into a good NBDL player.

wildbill2u
03-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Yep...

He's even got a tatoo on his arm of the Houston skyline and "Houston" underneath it.
He's so young, signing out of high school. Houston is probably the worst place for him to play. Too many homeboys hanging around.

The Rockets were his third team so he hasn't got something right. Here is a link to the Rockets beat writer, Johnathon Feigen's take on Green.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5604155.html

Not too negative. Basically says he got too far at too young an age and hasn't developed a professional's attitude toward the game yet.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
33 11 5?

fok that give him a contract now

timvp
03-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Damn, too bad the feed wasn't working. That looked like a good game to view what Marcus Williams is made out of. His stats look really good ... but I have doubts as to whether any of what he's doing is transferable to the NBA.

It looks like he's playing strictly at power forward as the Toros are now pretty much a small ball team. A 6-foot-7, 200 pound power forward with limited athleticism works in the D-League but would get laughed off the court in the NBA.

I want to see him in action to see if any of his production is coming due to improved perimeter skills. Last time I saw him he was basically a power forward who had good instincts in transition situations. And while that allows him to have monster D-League stats, it wouldn't help him much in the NBA.

Is the schedule I'm looking at right that the Toros play Albuquerque three more times in Albuquerque in a row? If so, looks like I'll have to wait a while to get a glimpse of this hopefully new and improved Williams.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
we all know gerald green is joke when his thread becomes a marcus williams thread

PWNED

ChumpDumper
03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah, hopefully they get the feed working better. From what I saw and heard, Williams was switching between both forward positions since DerMarr played the entire game and the three Toros big men played about 38 minutes.

The Toros turn into a real running team when Ian is out. I want to see how Marcus plays when Ian is back to playing 30+ minutes a game and running many more halfcourt sets.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2008, 01:32 AM
hey cd

are the torros running the same game plans as the spurs?

cause iit be crap if they dont learn the spurs system on the torros, then waitin for them to learn the spurs system when they get called up or sign for next years team then havin to receive the jax treatment 2 year plan

ChumpDumper
03-09-2008, 01:39 AM
The Toros do run a lot of the same things and use the same terminology. These past few games it hasn't been completely recognizable since they have no post scorers to work off of -- but there is a lot of motion involved to be sure.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2008, 01:48 AM
we all know gerald green is joke when his thread becomes a marcus williams thread

PWNEDUltimately the question is whether Green really wants to get any better than he already is. The evidence is pretty clear that Marcus has and does.