PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: For Kerr, nice doesn't matter now

Spurs Brazil
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA030908.HarveyKerr.en.3574333.html

Buck Harvey: For Kerr, nice doesn't matter now

Web Posted: 03/08/2008 10:16 PM CST

Buck Harvey
Express-News staff writer

"That TNT job is looking better right now," Steve Kerr started off, and that's why Kerr worked well on television.

He could laugh at himself.

He could keep things in perspective, too, and he tried Saturday. "If this were early in the season," he said, "people would be more understanding."

But no one in Phoenix wants to hear his humor, and no one cares how he frames failure. There's urgency in Arizona, and there's little room for patience, even for a roster that might as well be in training camp right now.

That's the way it is, and Kerr understands.

Kerr learned that firsthand in 1999 in San Antonio.

None of it seems to bother Kerr. He remains optimistic and calm, even with the Spurs in Phoenix today for a watershed moment.

Kerr brought in Shaquille O'Neal for Tim Duncan as much as anyone. If the Suns don't show some promise this afternoon against their nemesis, second-guessing will exponentially increase.

But Kerr says things like "We're going to get it done," and people in Arizona want to believe him. Before he was likable in San Antonio, he was likable at the University of Arizona.

Revealing is a story he shares from last summer. Then, he'd called his friend and former Spurs teammate, Danny Ferry, to ask him if he should accept the Suns' offer. Ferry told Kerr he thought he would do well, and then Kerr had to take another call. Kerr hung up and shortly after, he took the job.

When Ferry called back, he told Kerr: "I said you could do the job. But you hung up before I could also tell you that you shouldn't do it."

Why trade a TV gig for stress?

Now even broadcast moments aren't working out for Kerr, such as a spot last month on Arizona radio. Then, he was asked about Brent Barry turning him down to re-sign with the Spurs.

"I think," Kerr said then, "maybe there was something behind the scenes there."

Maybe there was. As Kerr also pointed out, Sonics general manager Sam Presti once worked for the Spurs, and he was the one who traded for Barry and then immediately waived him.

Kerr didn't imply anything more than "that's just the way business is done." But given these quotes, the radio station went with a story that suggested Kerr was suspicious.

The headline: "Did Barry, Spurs deliver another cheap shot to Suns?"

Kerr had been careless, and something else he said then was, too. He wondered on that same radio show why the Sonics didn't release Donyell Marshall instead of Barry.

The Sonics couldn't. They had to waive someone before they could complete the trade that brought them Marshall. Their roster was overloaded.

Told this Saturday, Kerr understood his mistake. Had he said this as a TNT announcer, the information would have been wrong but harmless; as an NBA general manager, it cut at his credibility.

But that's minor compared to what Kerr faces now. He gambled with the Western Conference's best record — and most entertaining team — for Shaq.

"If it works, I'm a genius," he said at the time. "If it doesn't, I'm a moron, I guess."

People are holding him to that, and no one cares that Shaq is showing some signs, with 20 points in his last game, or that the Suns' schedule has been rugged in this stretch. Mostly, they don't care that Shaq will suit up today for just the 10th time for the Suns, and that these adjustments take time.

For Kerr, it's familiar angst. Gregg Popovich added him after the strike in 1999, along with other veterans such as Mario Elie and Jerome Kersey. Then the Spurs tried to microwave chemistry in March, just as the Suns are trying now.

Those Spurs started 6-8, which is about the same as the 3-6 record of Shaq's Suns. "And they were calling for Pop's head," Kerr said.

Popovich hadn't endeared himself to the mob then, but personality doesn't matter much at these times. Winning can save the unpopular, and losing can sink the popular, and Kerr says he's fine with that.

Which is another reason to like him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Timmy!
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Kerr's situation would be perfect for a Southwest Arilines commercial...."Want To Get Away?"...

T Park
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Difference is, the Suns don't have a defensive first mentality and they have D'Antoni as the coach and not Pop.

Two hurdles they have to overcome.

Wouldn't be shocked if they did though, Shaq is a pretty big force.

DarrinS
03-09-2008, 10:59 AM
The Sun's biggest problem is this dude

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2007/03/02/20070301193651.jpeg

T Park
03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Agreed.

If this offseason they fired D'Antoni and hired a Larry Brown or Van Gundy, they would IMMEDIATELY become a very very tough team to beat.

Untill then, their biggest achilles heal starts at the clipboard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Agreed.

If this offseason they fired D'Antoni and hired a Larry Brown or Van Gundy, they would IMMEDIATELY become a very very tough team to beat.

Untill then, their biggest achilles heal starts at the clipboard.

You act like all the guys on that team would suddenly buy into defense first. I don't see it happening.

Cry Havoc
03-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Why would the refs let the Spurs blow out the Suns today? The NBA has a sizable fanbase built around the country that like the Suns. I can't see them missing the playoffs this year and losing a chunk of NBA nation with it.

That said, I hope the Spurs play their best basketball of the season, demoralize the Suns, and win by 20+.

crc21209
03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Uhhh yea big difference though, the reason the Spurs started 6-8 was because the strike season was just beginning and the Spurs had a ton of new faces. Unlike the Suns who are trying to incorporate a big 300 pound piece that doesnt fit the way they play at all. And ohh another BIG difference, our coach emphasizes defense first unlike Hitler D'Antoni who doesnt even know how to spell defense.

OldDirtMcGirt
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
In Kerr's defense, Shaq himself has been playing well. We obviously weren't winning with small ball, and Shaq has single handedly corrected all of our rebounding woes. We just need to get on the phone with Sacramento about acquiring Ron Artest, and get Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa the hell out of this city.

michaelwcho
03-09-2008, 12:55 PM
In Kerr's defense, Shaq himself has been playing well. We obviously weren't winning with small ball, and Shaq has single handedly corrected all of our rebounding woes. We just need to get on the phone with Sacramento about acquiring Ron Artest, and get Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa the hell out of this city.
"Obviously not winning with smallball."

This is the faulty thinking. A team that fought the Spurs virtually to a standstill last year was not "obviously" incapable of winning. There is a sizable element of randomness in any sporting event. The difference between the Suns and the champs last year was small; therefore, given several chances, the Suns would likely win eventually.

The chance of bringing an over-the-hill player in, trading your 2nd most valuable player, and hoping it would make you better, is a much greater risk.

The old Suns always had a shot.

The trade they should have made was Stoudemire for Garnett. They would give up a little O and youth and get size, D, smarts, and class.

OldDirtMcGirt
03-09-2008, 01:01 PM
"Obviously not winning with smallball."

This is the faulty thinking. A team that fought the Spurs virtually to a standstill last year was not "obviously" incapable of winning. There is a sizable element of randomness in any sporting event. The difference between the Suns and the champs last year was small; therefore, given several chances, the Suns would likely win eventually.

The chance of bringing an over-the-hill player in, trading your 2nd most valuable player, and hoping it would make you better, is a much greater risk.

The old Suns always had a shot.

The trade they should have made was Stoudemire for Garnett. They would give up a little O and youth and get size, D, smarts, and class.

First of all, I totally agree about the Stoudemire for Garnett trade. I was a huge proponent of that when it was being rumored (and I even wanted to trade Amare for Sheed, A. Johnson, and Maxiell).

However, I was referring to this year. I don't think that we would've won last year, but you're right we had a chance. This year, watching the team, we weren't playing with passion. And I think that alot of that stemmed from Shawn's lack of competitive spirit. I mean the guy gets traded from what was then the best team in the West to a piece of shit team and he's pumped up about it. While Stoudemire is a borderline retard, at least you can tell he wants to win. The same can't be said for Shawn.

michaelwcho
03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree, then. About Shawn, yes, I agree too. But I wonder if it was really Stoudemire who's run out too All-Star talents out of Phoenix (JJ and now Marion). The guy can't even seem to give credit to Nash.