PDA

View Full Version : Here's why Houston's 18-game streak doesn't matter

SpursDynasty
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Some people say "18 straight is 18 straight". But how hard was that 18 straight? Try 11 out of the 18 are sub-.500 teams. Yeah, that must have been real hard 18. The fact is, during this 18 straight, only 4 of those 18 victories were against current West playoff teams. So they haven't really been tested. You play any sub-.500 team or ANY East team other than Boston/Detroit or ANY West team that is perhaps .500 or better but is not a playoff team, has your team really been tested other than playing consistent against weak competition? This was the same weakness of Phoenix's 17-game streak last season.

Streak victories:

Above .500 - Golden State, Cleveland twice, New Orleans twice, Denver, Dallas

Below .500 - Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Atlanta, Portland, Sacramento, Miami, Chicago, Washington, Memphis, Indiana,

Also, a mediocre 9-10 vs. the other 7 West playoff teams thus far this season? I'm not convinced.

E20
03-09-2008, 01:40 PM
So wouldn't teh Spurs record be shittier? Also Portland is above .500, they're 33-30.

SAtown
03-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Winning 18 in a row in the NBA is very hard no matter who you play.

Findog
03-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Winning 18 in a row in the NBA is very hard no matter who you play.

Agreed. The Rockets can't reasonably claim title hopes without Yao, but their streak is absolutely impressive.

Flopper
03-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Some people say "18 straight is 18 straight". But how hard was that 18 straight? Try 11 out of the 18 are sub-.500 teams. Yeah, that must have been real hard 18. The fact is, during this 18 straight, only 4 of those 18 victories were against current West playoff teams. So they haven't really been tested. You play any sub-.500 team or ANY East team other than Boston/Detroit or ANY West team that is perhaps .500 or better but is not a playoff team, has your team really been tested other than playing consistent against weak competition? This was the same weakness of Phoenix's 17-game streak last season.

Streak victories:

Below .500 - Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Atlanta, Portland, Sacramento, Miami, Chicago, Washington, Memphis, Indiana,

Also, a mediocre 9-10 vs. the other 7 West playoff teams thus far this season? I'm not convinced.

Hell yeah, I wasn't impress with the wins either. They haven't lost since the Jazz, that was what, in Jan. 27th? (sure they didn't have Tracy, but so what?) That just shows how bad they were.

Good thing the spurs were able to keep their streak alive to 11 before they inconveniently lost to the nuggets (that was destroyed by the Jazz), or else them Rockets fan will keep coming.

Budkin
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I for one am impressed... they have beaten some quality teams in there and are playing very well together. The shitty thing for them is that there is still no way they are going to win in the playoffs without Yao.

BonnerDynasty
03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Playing well against shitty teams is something the Spurs rarely do so I am impressed with 18.

BonnerDynasty
03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
double post.

SpursGO
03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
18 in a row is impressive, the teams we beat on our 11 game winning streak were all mediocre, and teams the Rockets beat even worse.

boutons_
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
18 demands respect, give it, esp with everybody stepping up in Yao's absence.

The Spurs can't keep their focus for 18 season games, no matter how weak the opponent is.

GuerillaBlack
03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
18 in a row is impressive, the teams we beat on our 11 game winning streak were all mediocre, and teams the Rockets beat even worse.
Not at all. The Spurs only beat two teams above .500 in their streak.

Indazone
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Streak victories:

2-1 vs Spurs I'd say that means we have been tested. :grim:

The Franchise
03-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Streak victories:

Question:Who else has an 18 game winning streak? Answer: Only seven teams in NBA history!!!! 18 game winning streaks do not grow on trees. If it were a regular occurence then maybe you could come across without sounding retarded, but they are RARE. If you want to hate thats fine, but just call it what it is. :rolleyes Oh yea, Portland is above .500 and you forgot San Antonio. :)

The Franchise
03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Damn Spursdynasty. You hate us so much I think you might be a closet Rockets fan. :)

robbie380
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Streak victories:

who the fuck cares if you are convinced? every other rockets fan and i have been saying that it doesn't matter unless we at least get out of the first round of the playoffs. the only good this streak does is it gets the rockets solidly in the playoffs and it also shows the players that they have the ability to win and win big (9 straight wins by double digits) without yao.

believe it or not this is a dangerous team and a team that wants to show everyone in the league and media how they were wrong about the rockets after we lost yao. and they also want to win for yao since they know how hard yao works and how sorry he was to the team for getting hurt when the team was playing great. this team has an us against the world mentality and that is one of the most beneficial outlooks a team can have if they ever develop it.

ShoogarBear
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Tied for best 18-game record in US sports history.

robbie380
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
FWIW here are the stats from the last 10 games....

strength of schedule in the last 10 games 302-320 (.486)
margin of victory 106.4 - 90.8 (+15.6 ppg)
FG% differential 49.6% - 41.5% (+8.1%)
Assists per game 25.6 - 19.7 (+5.9 apg)
Rebounds per game 46 - 39.2 (+6.8 rpg)

SpursDynasty
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
who the fuck cares if you are convinced? every other rockets fan and i have been saying that it doesn't matter unless we at least get out of the first round of the playoffs. the only good this streak does is it gets the rockets solidly in the playoffs and it also shows the players that they have the ability to win and win big (9 straight wins by double digits) without yao.

believe it or not this is a dangerous team and a team that wants to show everyone in the league and media how they were wrong about the rockets after we lost yao. and they also want to win for yao since they know how hard yao works and how sorry he was to the team for getting hurt when the team was playing great. this team has an us against the world mentality and that is one of the most beneficial outlooks a team can have if they ever develop it.

Well sure, any team can have the right attitude. But not all teams have the talent/skill and Houston, regardless of how much they want to show the league this or that, does not have what it takes to get it done. They'll probably lose in six in the first round.

robbie380
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Well sure, any team can have the right attitude. But not all teams have the talent/skill and Houston, regardless of how much they want to show the league this or that, does not have what it takes to get it done. They'll probably lose in six in the first round.

and i think we will win in 6 in the first round. they are more talented than you would like to believe. we will only find out when the playoffs roll around. let's agree to disagree! :toast

BUMP
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM

just cause you're below.500 doesnt mean your "shitty" Washington, Milwaukee, Indiana, Sacramento, Chicago (some nights), nor Portland are pushovers

GuerillaBlack
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
We have a month and a half until the playoffs. I can't wait.

bobbyjoe
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Actually, the Spurs played all of 2 .500 or better teams in that streak.

E20
03-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Tied for best 18-game record in US sports history.
Isn't it tied for 3rd longest streak in the history of the NBA?

1Parker1
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
18 straight wins, is 18 straight wins. Who cares who the opponent is?

Especially in the NBA, with all the traveling, the back to back, the 4 games in 5 nights, etc. it's especially hard to bring your focus and "A" game and not let your guard down against those sub .500 teams. And it's not like the Rockets are sqeaking by with the wins. They're winning by double digits.

:tu Props to the Rockets, especially those 5 straight without Yao and an impressive one against the Hornets.

Indazone
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Screw it. Lets win the last 20 games in the season for a new NBA record 38 games in a row.

DaDakota
03-09-2008, 11:34 PM
:tu Props to the Rockets, especially those 6 straight without Yao and an impressive one against the Hornets.

Fixed it for you.....

Carry on.

DD

TampaDude
03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah...the Rockets are the real deal...even without Yao...don't sleep on Houston, guys...