PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum update

MajicMan
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Andrew Bynum's return from a knee injury might not be until close to the end of the regular season, Coach Phil Jackson suggested Friday.

"That's still perhaps a month away, maybe, whatever," he said when asked about the team adapting to Bynum's return. "I can't even put a date on it. It's just too early to think of it like that."

The Lakers' last regular-season game is April 15 against Sacramento. Their first playoff game will be either April 19 or 20.

Bynum could begin jogging on a treadmill next week, but Jackson already sensed a challenging adjustment period when the 20-year-old returned to the court, particularly with Pau Gasol now in the mix.

"Very difficult, especially when [Bynum] has never played with a player like that," Jackson said. "Regardless of how Andrew comes back, he's not going to start at 100%. He's going to start somewhere where it's going to be, 'Is he in basketball condition now to play eight, 10 minutes, six minutes,' whatever it is.

"When we put him on the court, it's going to be in relief to start with. He's going to come off the bench and play a secondary role, probably, to start with. And then as he gets a couple games where it looks like he can sustain the effort and his conditioning improves, then we'll work on how it fits together.

"Now, if this is in the playoffs, it's almost impossible to do that because you don't want to break up the chemistry. It's going to be handled just the right way."

Bynum has been out since sustaining a bone bruise on his left knee and a brief dislocation of the kneecap in a Jan. 13 game against Memphis.

There's a decent fight for the seventh and eighth spots in the Western Conference, although the Lakers are reluctant to acknowledge it while battling San Antonio for the conference's top spot.

"I'm not really watching that," Jackson said. "We're still 15 games away from that. The last eight, 10 games, you start watching everything that everybody does."

We're fucked with the soft defense we have.

JamStone
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Doesn't look like they've been fucked so far. They've been playing very good basketball. As long as Bynum can be ready by the playoffs and the rest of the team can learn how to play with both him and Gasol out on the court at the same time, they should be ok. Getting him back closer to 100% when he finally does come back is way more important than getting him back as soon as possible. They've done a pretty good job playing well in his absence so far.

Medvedenko
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
As long as he's back prior to the playoffs we'll be ok. He'll play off the bench anyways as putting him in the starting 5 will upset chemistry. If he's not fine than hang it up and come back next year. No big deal.

The Franchise
03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I hope his return goes smoothly. He's a great young talent, and a good kid.

TheNextGen
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
wow..what kind of fans are you...u guys won a shit load of games without him and ur calling your season over. Bynum is the "iceing" on the cake. GET A GRIP!

LA24
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I can't see Bynum starting this year again. And I can't
see him being 100% either. So much for our twin towers.

Not good. :(

mavsfan1000
03-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Bynum will ruin their chemistry a la Shaq and what Webber did to Sacramento a few years ago.

Amarelooms
03-09-2008, 05:39 PM
We're fucked with the soft defense we have.

If you gonna rely on Bynum you're fucked anyway....dude is a scrub and probably the most over-rated player in the NBA now :elephant

21_Blessings
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Doesn't look like they've been fucked so far. They've been playing very good basketball. As long as Bynum can be ready by the playoffs and the rest of the team can learn how to play with both him and Gasol out on the court at the same time, they should be ok. Getting him back closer to 100% when he finally does come back is way more important than getting him back as soon as possible. They've done a pretty good job playing well in his absence so far.

Thank you. You see Laker fans, Detroit fans know defense.

The Lakers are GIVING UP LESS points (98ish compared to 100ppg) with Gasol here compared to Bynum. Gasol is blocking about 2 shots a game. The Lakers are holding opponents to .44 FG% (.42% the last 10 games) which is 4th in the league. They are 5th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (UP from 7th when Bynum was here). Lakers have proven they can get stops in CRUNCH time over the last 15 games. Anyone claiming the Lakers are not playing decent defense is delusional.

Yes, Pau is not a banger but he is holding down the middle relatively well and the defense is not suffering. Lakers are top 5/6 defensively, in the NBA, WITHOUT Bynum and Ariza. Now get those two players back and the Lakers could be pushing for top 2 or 3 in the league in regards to defense ability.

It's not all doom and gloom without Andrew, even though I"m fairly confident he'll be ready come playoff time. Only a complete and utter fool would count out a trio of Kobe Bryant/Pau/Odom coached by Phil Jackson in the playoffs. They are contenders and capable of beating any team in the league in a playoff series without Bynum. Favorites against the Pistons/Celts/Spurs? Probably not, but they certainly have a chance to win those matchups if this team keeps playing like it has been.

DazedAndConfused
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
It's Laker fans like the OP that make me sick. Bynum IS the icing on the cake. If he can't come back in a starting role he can still make a significant contribution off the bench. A rusty Bynum is better than no Bynum.

Bruno
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Without Bynum playing at a high level, it will be really hard to win it all for Lakers.

Next year will be another story and Lakers will likely be the strong favorite to win the championship.

MajicMan
03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
It's Laker fans like the OP that make me sick. Bynum IS the icing on the cake. If he can't come back in a starting role he can still make a significant contribution off the bench. A rusty Bynum is better than no Bynum.
Shut the fuck up. It's trollish bandwagon fans like you that embarrass most real Laker fans. My comment meaning that our chances of winning it all has really been diminished. With a team like we have it's all or nothing with or without Bynum. Expectations are high. Our defense it still crap and come playoff time it's really going to hurt us. I didn't jump ship like your monkey ass long ago. Styles make match ups and I'm worried about our worst match ups.

DazedAndConfused
03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
No shit, Bynum is the piece that makes us an elite contender and not just a pretender.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
i say he should take the season off

Matchman
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
without a healthy bynum the rockets might actually have a chance to beat the lakers...

Medvedenko
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
without a healthy bynum the rockets might actually have a chance to beat the lakers...

They're playing well, Houston that is...but there's no chance of them beating the lakers in a series even without bynum. Don't get too twisted.

T Park
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Mcgrady would choke like jenna ona 12 incher.

No chance for the Rockets.

robbie380
03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you. You see Laker fans, Detroit fans know defense.

The Lakers are GIVING UP LESS points (98ish compared to 100ppg) with Gasol here compared to Bynum. Gasol is blocking about 2 shots a game. The Lakers are holding opponents to .44 FG% (.42% the last 10 games) which is 4th in the league. They are 5th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (UP from 7th when Bynum was here). Lakers have proven they can get stops in CRUNCH time over the last 15 games. Anyone claiming the Lakers are not playing decent defense is delusional.

Yes, Pau is not a banger but he is holding down the middle relatively well and the defense is not suffering. Lakers are top 5/6 defensively, in the NBA, WITHOUT Bynum and Ariza. Now get those two players back and the Lakers could be pushing for top 2 or 3 in the league in regards to defense ability.

It's not all doom and gloom without Andrew, even though I"m fairly confident he'll be ready come playoff time. Only a complete and utter fool would count out a trio of Kobe Bryant/Pau/Odom coached by Phil Jackson in the playoffs. They are contenders and capable of beating any team in the league in a playoff series without Bynum. Favorites against the Pistons/Celts/Spurs? Probably not, but they certainly have a chance to win those matchups if this team keeps playing like it has been.

well i was going to post earlier about defensive efficiency but i got lazy. no top defensive team EVER gives up 70+ points before halftime. defensive efficiency is a flawed stat when you have the nuggets right behind you guys in that stat. they are simply a terrible defensive team. the lakers aren't as bad as them but they aren't good either.

mavsfan1000
03-09-2008, 10:07 PM
No shit, Bynum is the piece that makes us an elite contender and not just a pretender.
You're not elite even with Bynum. :D

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 01:13 AM
You're not elite even with Bynum. :D

:lol :lol Mavs fan wishes the Lakers aren't elite with Bynum. Face it the Lakers are back and will only get better once Bynum returns. Sucks to be a Mavs fan.

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 01:21 AM
There is no way Bynum's return can negatively affect the Lakers. The same people who said Gasol wouldn't fit in LA, said the big 3 in BOS wouldn't fit, are saying now that Bynum won't fit with Gasol. They are hoping and praying that happens but we all know it won't be an issue. First of all their skillsets are completely complementary, Pau can play the post up game from the high post the same way that David West does and he has a sweet midrange jumpshot as well. Bynum is a true low block post player, it's a match made in heaven and everyone here knows it.

The only issue is how rusty Bynum will be when he gets back. I think after 5-10 games or so he should be back to normal. Lamar hadn't touched a basketball in 6 months and got into the groove of things in less than a month.

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Bynum will be fine when he gets back. He won't even be asked to do as much as he did before. All he needs to do is play defense and rebound the ball. His offense will come easily, especially with a very good passer like Gasol playing next to him. I have no worries that he will come back fine. But Bynum is no icing on the cake, he's an integral part to this team. If the Lakers want to do anything this year he does need to come back.

Matchman
03-10-2008, 01:31 AM
They're playing well, Houston that is...but there's no chance of them beating the lakers in a series even without bynum. Don't get too twisted.

hmmm let me see... Kobe is better than TMac i will admit. but nobody on the lakers roster is significantly better than the rocket counter-part. whatever pau gasol gets you he gives half of it back to his opponents. Odom is all good and well but as most of the lakers fans know, when the pressure is on, never give the ball to him or else he will do something stupid. i also see little to no shot blocking presence on the lakers roster (if bynum is not healthy). We also play spectacular defense to make up for the difference on the offensive talent level. As a side note, Kobe has to guard TMac but TMac doesnt have to waste one bit of energy trying to guard Kobe because we got Battier.

so i would NOT be that sure that u can handle us that easily.

itzsoweezee
03-10-2008, 02:13 AM
lol @ losers on here pretending like the lakers are playing good defense. do you people actually watch the games? gasol is getting lit the fuck up all over the place. their interior defense is non-existent.

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 02:53 AM
lol @ losers on here pretending like the lakers are playing good defense. do you people actually watch the games? gasol is getting lit the fuck up all over the place. their interior defense is non-existent.

Are you just stupid or do you realize that Gasol is playing out of position because Bynum is hurt? Not to mention that Ariza is also out. I'll take it that you're just a stupid spur fan. Go educate yourself on how good the Lakers were defensively before Bynum got injured.

Ohhh and tell Timmy great job against Shaq. :lol :lol

slayermin
03-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Ohhh and tell Timmy great job against Shaq. :lol :lol

Laker fan talking shit after his team just got owned by Beno Udrih. And at home, no less.

STFU already.

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Laker fan talking shit after his team just got owned by Beno Udrih. And at home, no less.

STFU already.

spur fan still thinking his team is the shit :lol :lol

Our team will get better once healthy. You guys are just what you are, an old team that is soft compared to the suns. :oops :oops

slayermin
03-10-2008, 03:25 AM
spur fan still thinking his team is the shit :lol :lol

Our team will get better once healthy. You guys are just what you are, an old team that is soft compared to the suns. :oops :oops

Laker fan putting all their hopes and dreams into a 20 year old with no finesse game attempting a return from a dislocated knee cap in the same season.

Good luck with that.

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Laker fan putting all their hopes and dreams into a 20 year old with no finesse game attempting a return from a dislocated knee cap in the same season.

Good luck with that.

spur fan scared as fuck of the Lakeshow. So if your team when healthy is still softer than the suns, what exactly does that mean??

LA24
03-10-2008, 03:47 AM

Good luck with that.

I agree. Really.

All these Laker fans crack me up for putting their hopes in Bynum.
He's not even going to be close to the player he was when he returns.

4 months off will do that to you !!!!!

And today's lost really pissed me off. Lakers saw the Spurs lose and took the
night off thinking they had the win. :rolleyes

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 03:50 AM
I agree. Really.

All these Laker fans crack me up for putting their hopes in Bynum.
He's not even going to be close to the player he was when he returns.

4 months off will do that to you !!!!!

And today's lost really pissed me off. Lakers saw the Spurs lose and took the
night off thinking they had the win. :rolleyes

This right here is prime example of a whining impatient Laker fan. I bet you were all ready to trade Odom and Bynum for JO this offseason. :lol :lol

One loss and you're all over the spurs cock. :dramaquee

LA24
03-10-2008, 03:55 AM
This right here is prime example of a whining impatient Laker fan. I bet you were all ready to trade Odom and Bynum for JO this offseason. :lol :lol

One loss and you're all over the spurs cock. :dramaquee

I'm not impatient. But unlike you, I CAN handle the truth...which is...this current starting 5 ain't winning nothing this year.

Now if we had a healthy Bynum and Pau with at least 2 months together to gel, there's not doubt in my mind we would beat every team in 6 games or less in the playoffs.

You're just a Laker homer....so of course you'll say the generic "Lakers are DA bestest." :rolleyes

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 04:05 AM
No this starting 5 will not win it all. Good thing this ain't our starting 5. So once again tell me why you think Bynum and Pau need at least 2 months together to gel? You do realize that Gasol is smart and good enough to adjust around Bynum and Bynum is not needed to be the player he was before he got hurt. What he needs to do is rebound the ball and not let perimeter players just walk into the paint. Something that won't be that hard for a 7 footer with long ass arms to do. He will get his points no problem on just offensive boards and lob passes.

But since of course you're a panicky/whiny/impatient Laker fan all you have is to call everybody that disagrees with you a homer. Again tell me what you thought of Mitch this offseason.

LA24
03-10-2008, 04:25 AM
No this starting 5 will not win it all. Good thing this ain't our starting 5. So once again tell me why you think Bynum and Pau need at least 2 months together to gel? You do realize that Gasol is smart and good enough to adjust around Bynum and Bynum is not needed to be the player he was before he got hurt.

Yes, this will be our starting 5. Phil will probably play Bynum and Paul together...but Bynum is not starting when he comes back. I could be wrong, but knowing Phil, I don't think so.

You don't change your starting 5 a week or 2 before the playoffs start.

And who says Bynum will be back before the playoffs...they keep delaying it. Lakers' medical staff seem quite incompetent. Our player's injuries seems to lag on forever.

What he needs to do is rebound the ball and not let perimeter players just walk into the paint. Something that won't be that hard for a 7 footer with long ass arms to do. He will get his points no problem on just offensive boards and lob passes.

That's still easier said than done. Will he be in shape ? How many quality minutes can he give us ? Remember, Bynum was able to do what he did this year because he worked out hard all summer. Now he just took 4 months off.

Look, I'm not panicking or anything like that. When Bynum comes back, we will be an improved team. But unlike you, I'm not expecting Bynum to be the beast he was.

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Then if you don't know what's gonna happen why are you here saying we're done and this is our starting 5. Fact is you don't know what's gonna happen and who's gonna be our starting 5.

Of course Phil is not gonna start Bynum as soon as he gets back. But trust me he wants Gasol out of the 5 spot as soon as possible. Everybody in the world knows a Gasol/Odom frontcourt will not do anything. You basically have 2 players playing out of position (does Odom even have a real position?) and we lost to a sacramento team that is a lot better than their record says. Beno has been lighting everybody up, Martin is Martin, and Artest gives Kobe fits. Add to that, a Miller that is still a very serviceable big and they have a young rookie that looks very promising. Lakers took them for granted (which is upsetting) and they got up to play the Lakeshow, like any good Queens team should. Sometimes it happens.

Bynum doesn't have to be the beast he was before he got hurt. All he needs to do is rebound the ball and alter some shots. If you don't think he can do that, then I must say that you're underrating him. He will be much better with Gasol out there. Their games compliment each other perfectly. And to be honest I really don't care who starts and who doesn't. It's all about who gets the majority of minutes and who's in the game at the end of the 4th. I see no reason why Bynum won't be ready by the middle of the second round. Unless he has some type of major drawback or the Laker FO is just lying to everybody.

LA24
03-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Well, lets hope you're right and let's getting another title !! :toast

Purple & Gold
03-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, lets hope you're right and let's getting another title !! :toast

:lol :lol That's what I'm talking about. Shit happens sometimes. Fact is nobody knows what's gonna happen. But I sure ain't gonna go on a spurs site and crown them champs. They'll respect the Lakers more if you tell them to fuck off and eat a dick. :elephant :elephant

As for Vitti, I happen to know an ex Laker trainer and he says Vitti sucks. He was telling me this long before all the injuries and Malone injury happened. This guy is a grade A health junkie/weight room fanatic, so I believe him. At least the good thing is that since Vitti has fucked up so much lately, I doubt any pro athletes take his word as gospel. I'm sure they're all getting second and third opinions.

And Lakers will win Team of the Decade :toast

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I've never seen a supposed "Laker" fan suck so much Spur cock in my life.