PDA

View Full Version : If Pop wants Manu to come off the bench ...

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
should Udoka replace Finley in the starting lineup?

It seems like Pop wants the Manu/Oberto combo coming off the bench. Udoka brings some rebounding, better than average D and can shoot the 3. He has his ups and downs like everyone else, but Finley seems to have more downs than ups lately.

Thoughts?

WalterBenitez
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Kori you are the Spurs' oracle, even that I am worried about rotations.

BlackSwordsMan
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Udoka did good. Finley,horry didn't do shit.

T Park
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
10000000000000000000000000000000X Yes

Amuseddaysleeper
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I think what we really need is the return of Brent Barry.

I always felt like he was a far more consistent shooter than Finley.

Udoka's arc on his shot is terrible, so to be honest, I don't even know how much Udoka replacing Finley would really help.

We settle for jumpshots way too often.

ShoogarBear
03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Finley, Horry, and Vaughn have been killing the Spurs.

Udoka has been very streaky on his offense, so it's a gamble having him and Bruce out there at the same time. If he's off, it makes the Spurs too easy to defend.

I don't know what the solution is.

T Park
I don't even know how much Udoka replacing Finley would really help.

Uh did you watch the game today? :wtf

baseline bum
I think Manu should start. I don't like the way this team is starting games with him on the bench. Stoudamire should lose his spot in the rotation also. How long has it been since he actually hit a jump-shot?

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Well who knows if Barry will even be healthy when he returns. So that's not an option right now.

Finley has blown more defensive assignments in the last few weeks than *gasp* Elson used to do. So if he's not shooting well, he's really useless.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I think Manu should start. I don't like the way this team is starting games with him on the bench. Stoudamire should lose his spot in the rotation also. How long has it been since he actually hit a jump-shot?

I like Manu starting. But I think Pop said Manu will come off the bench for the rest of the season.

timvp
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd give Finley about another week or two to see if he can straighten out his shot. Finley isn't like Manu in that he can't switch from role to role and not skip a bit. He needs consistent minutes to play well. He's horrible when Pop messes with his role and his minutes.

But yeah, if Finley is now messed up for good ... Udoka would be next in line.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
:tu

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd give Finley about another week or two to see if he can straighten out his shot. Finley isn't like Manu in that he can't switch from role to role and not skip a bit. He needs consistent minutes to play well. He's horrible when Pop messes with his role and his minutes.

But yeah, if Finley is now messed up for good ... Udoka would be next in line.

If Finley can't adjust to playing off the bench, then f' him. The Spurs need to shorten their rotation soon anyway. He can be relegated to spot minutes.

Emeyin
03-09-2008, 05:30 PM

It seems like Pop wants the Manu/Oberto combo coming off the bench. Udoka brings some rebounding, better than average D and can shoot the 3. He has his ups and downs like everyone else, but Finley seems to have more downs than ups lately.

Thoughts?

I concur, at the very least it's a defensive upgrade.

~Sweetmelody~
03-09-2008, 05:31 PM
*sigh*
I would love for Manu to start but I understand why he comes off the bench, so I guess I would prefer Barry, but that might not be an option.

Ginofan
03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Ime looked really nice out there today. I wouldn't mind giving him the start instead of Mike for awhile to try it out.

Manu plays well starting and coming off the bench, it's just that when he starts...who's our spark from the bench? The bench is lacking that second wind we need.

ploto
03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
It has been apparent from Day One that there is absolutely nothing Michael Finley can do that will put him into Pop's doghouse. Nothing.

timvp
03-09-2008, 05:35 PM
It has been apparent from Day One that there is absolutely nothing Michael Finley can do that will put him into Pop's doghouse. Nothing.Uh yeah except for last year when he was in the doghouse until Barry got hurt.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I think Manu needs to be in the starting lineup come playoff time. I know the Spurs M.O. is to have him come off the bench in the post season, but Kori hit the nail on the head with the Finley comment. He seems to have suddenly forgotten what defense is. I thought he was catching on there for a bit.

All I know is that our starters +/- has been crap since Manu went to the bench. Udoka, Bowen, KT, Duncan & Parker at least would be solid defensively, but personally I'd bring Manu back into the starting group.

Dre_7
03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Spurs bring out an all black starting five!!! :wow

ShoogarBear
03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
It has been apparent from Day One that there is absolutely nothing Michael Finley can do that will put him into Pop's doghouse. Nothing.If he got fat, partied all night, stopped giving a shit, and complained about it in the papers . . . that might do it.

T Park
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
If he got fat, partied all night, stopped giving a shit, and complained about it in the papers . . . that might do it.

Zing. (rimshot)

Southwest Texas Fan
Manu needs to stay on the bench and the rotations need to get shortened. Which brings up a question where does Horry fit in the rotation?

ducks
barry needs to come back

loveforthegame
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Fin was playing well off the bench when Parker was out. So much so that it looked like Pop would finally be able to keep Manu as a starter. But then Pop went and shuffled him in and out and Finley can't adjust like Ginobli going back and forth in the lineup.

I wouldn't mind Udoka starting if he can score consistently but he hasn't shown that ability. Him and Bowen out there could be risky if both are struggling. I've seen Udoka pass on a lot of open shots to dribble into trouble, turn it over, or pass back out. We might bag on Finley for taking too many shots but I think Pop prefers that than what I've seen Udoka doing.

If Barry returns and shows no sign of being slowed by the two leg injuries then I think you can give him a start. I'm a little worried he isn't going to be the same though.

slayermin
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Spurs bring out an all black starting five!!! :wow

I don't get this statement. We are not Boston or Utah.

greens
03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I like Manu starting. But I think Pop said Manu will come off the bench for the rest of the season.

It's just that it's already a second game in the past three days when Spurs had the lead going into halftime, then lost it in the third quarter. I think Pop should have kept Manu in the starting line up today in the third so that the Spurs could have built on their lead, they could have started off really strong and just got a comfortable lead. Instead, while Manu is on the bench, their lead yet again evaporates...Once he comes back, it seems as though the Suns were already on the roll...

I know Pop likes to have Manu come off the bench, but right now, the competition is really too tough, the seeding is so close, and huge trades have been made...plus Finley is struggling in the starting line up. I think Fin had a really good stretch recently coming off the bench...

Did Pop say for sure he'll keep Manu coming off the bench?

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Did Pop say for sure he'll keep Manu coming off the bench?

I believe today he said that he plans on keeping Manu coming off the bench for the rest of the season... which really means nothing coming from Pop :lol

For the record, I prefer Manu in the starting lineup. I think you should start your best five -- that's Duncan, Manu, Tony, Bowen and someone else. But, I understand Pop's reasoning of placing Manu on the bench - he gives the second unit the scoring they need. I also think Pop wants to start KT. And if Oberto is on the bench, he plays better in the unit with Manu.

I'm sick of watching Finley just completely miss rotations. He'll have one good shooting game and then everyone will love him again, but I'm not sure he's the answer as a starter anymore. (hopefully he steps up though)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
If Finley can't adjust to playing off the bench, then f' him. The Spurs need to shorten their rotation soon anyway. He can be relegated to spot minutes.
:tu

He doesn't need to be coddled.

ploto
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Manu needs to stay on the bench and the rotations need to get shortened. Which brings up a question where does Horry fit in the rotation?
I wonder that, too. Does Manu coming off the bench with Oberto mean that Pop intends to keep Thomas in the starting line up? Then how much will Horry even play?

easjer
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I think Manu off the bench is better.

But, damn, Finley is killing me.

I say two more games with Fin starting, and then bring in Udoka. It's hard to believe Fin is making a case for Barry to get solid minutes when he returns.

easjer
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I wonder that, too. Does Manu coming off the bench with Oberto mean that Pop intends to keep Thomas in the starting line up? Then how much will Horry even play?

Given that he's been hurting more than helping recently, none is fine by me.

batboy
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I didn't realize this was a Mike Fin thread or I wouldn't have posted another, sorry Kori.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I'd rather Manu start than come off the bench at this point.
I feel a lot more comfortable seeing Manu Tony and Tim on the court at the same time, it can only get easier for all three of them to get a good lead early in these last regular season games.

Too bad Barry isn't here right now for our bench.

Bruno
03-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Finley will continue to start. If he sucks too much, maybe Barry will start.
I don't see Pop starting both Udoka and Bowen : not enough shooting and it's nice to have a strong defender like Udoka on the bench.

The Truth #6
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Uh yeah except for last year when he was in the doghouse until Barry got hurt.

Really? I don't remember Finley ever being in the doghouse. I always thought he got equal to slightly more minutes than Barry. What was the circumstance of his doghouse residency?

I've always thought Finley was in the reverse-Doghouse. No matter how bad he played, the more Pop would play him.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Finley will continue to start. If he sucks too much, maybe Barry will start.
I don't see Pop starting both Udoka and Bowen : not enough shooting and it's nice to have a strong defender like Udoka on the bench.

I don't get the "not enough shooting" comment from people anymore about Udoka.

Last Five Games ...

Udoka - 7.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and D (25.4 mpg)
Finley - 7.8 points, 2.6 rebounds and no D (24.7 mpg)

I'll take my chances with Udoka's offense.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Those stats I just posted were prior today. Also Fin is shooting .295 in that timespan, add today's 0-for-6 and it doesn't seem like there's much drop off from Finley to Udoka on offense.

mVp
03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Start Udoka... NOW!

dropstep4421
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
start Ime

Bruno
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't get the "not enough shooting" comment from people anymore about Udoka.

Last Five Games ...

Udoka - 7.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and D (25.4 mpg)
Finley - 7.8 points, 2.6 rebounds and no D (24.7 mpg)

I'll take my chances with Udoka's offense.

Udoka and Finley aren't playing in the same zone. Udoka is mainly shooting corner 3's like Bruce.
Do you see Pop having a lineup with nobody able to shoot a top of the key three ?

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Udoka and Finley aren't playing in the same zone. Udoka is mainly shooting corner 3's like Bruce.
Do you see Pop having a lineup with nobody able to shoot a top of the key three ?

They are using one right now. Finley's not hitting shit.

Like I said, I'd rather he start Manu. But since Pop says he is not going to do so, I'd rather have a guy who can rebound, hit some shots and not miss every single defensive rotation in the lineup.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
What matters is who finishes games, not who starts.
No game is decided in the first quarter.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 06:13 PM
What matters is who finishes games, not who starts.
No game is decided in the first quarter.

If that's the case, then the Spurs should start Vaughn, Stoudemire, Bonner, Horry and Oberto. :rolleyes

The Truth #6
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Finley, unlike, Ime is able to take a few dribbles and pull up for a jumpshot. However, Finley almost never makes that shot these days so it's difficult to find an advantage. Also, because Finley needs to use his YMCA moves to get open (and by open I mean having a guy right in his face) makes me wonder if the problem isn't somewhere else.

Tony and Tim need to lead the offense whenever they are out there. At the beginning of the season Tony began in "attack mode" and that was a main reason for our early dominance. He hasn't done that recently which makes me wonder what is up. Is it his ankle? I hope not.

If Tony can't penetrate and dominate, then debating on whether Ime is better right now then Finley might be missing the point.

Having said that, Pop needs to start Ime until Tony can return to form.

timvp
03-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Luckily the Nuggets are on the way. That's the one team Finley always lights up ....... not two days ago, of course.

Bruno
They are using one right now. Finley's not hitting shit.

I'm quite sure that Pop doesn't care about a shooting slump.

And even if Fin currently can't shoot at all, he remains a shooter for Pop and a lineup with Finley is a lineup with a true shooter.

Kori Ellis
Luckily the Nuggets are on the way. That's the one team Finley always lights up ....... not two days ago, of course.

Like I said, I don't care if he lights a team up once every 10 days or so. That doesn't mean he's the best option as a starter.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
If that's the case, then the Spurs should start Vaughn, Stoudemire, Bonner, Horry and Oberto. :rolleyes

They should start Duncan and Parker and have Manu come in after.

The remaining three can be choosen by flipping the coin.

However, they need to finish with Parker Duncan Manu, Thomas and Udoka.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
No need to give out welfare minutes any more.

If you suck, you sit.

Kori Ellis
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
They should start Duncan and Parker and have Manu come in after.

The remaining three can be choosen by flipping the coin.

However, they need to finish with Parker Duncan Manu, Thomas and Udoka.

If they finish close games without Bowen, they'll lose the majority of them.

But it matters who is starting in the sense if that person if giving you nothing on offense AND nothing on defense - which is what Finley is doing right now.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
No need to give out welfare minutes any more.

If you suck, you sit.

Can't play with four men on the court.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Can't play with four men on the court.True enough, but there were a couple of guys who got no burn at all today.

SAGambler
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
When Barry gets back, sit Finley for good. He has lost whatever it was he had. We can't can't afford a guy that has to put up 20 bricks to "get going". Until then, give Udoka extended minutes. Leave Finley on the pine.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
If they finish close games without Bowen, they'll lose the majority of them.

But it matters who is starting in the sense if that person if giving you nothing on offense AND nothing on defense - which is what Finley is doing right now.

I agree the problem with Finley is on defense. Offense comes and goes. Defense can ALWAYS be there.

The starting thing is a mental stuff. I guess Finley needs it more than others.

So be it.

If he watches the game on the defensive end, let him sit for the rest of the game.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
When Barry gets back, sit Finley for good. He has lost whatever it was he had. We can't can't afford a guy that has to put up 20 bricks to "get going". Until then, give Udoka extended minutes. Leave Finley on the pine.

Finley has won several games with big shots in his career.

I fail to remeber Udoka, whom I like a lot, doing the same.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
True enough, but there were a couple of guys who got no burn at all today.

On top, Duncan tonight.

batboy
03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Finley has won several games with big shots in his career.

I fail to remeber Udoka, whom I like a lot, doing the same.

As much as I hate John Hollinger, he loves to point out that points in all four quarters count for the same at the end.

I did some research and it turns out that is true.

Xtremesteven
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM

dude its not so much finleys fault though. We all forget that finley used to be a slam dunk competitor and used to be known for driving the ball in, in dallas. The spurs system has totally thrown finley off his game that he has become one dimensional being just a jump shooter. he looks so hesitant about driving in the ball and has lost total confidence in himself. but i do agree he needs to be benched. i see so much potential in udoka and hes gonna break through, these are the growing pains.

beirmeistr
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Pop is so worried about his bench having a scoring punch that he forgets that his starting five must also have a scoring punch. In today's game, the Spurs, with manu on the bench, got off to a slow start. When Manu came in at the halfway point in the first quarter, the Spurs had only scored 8 points. So, I get the theory to have some scoring come from the bench, but isn't it more important to have a scoring punch from the starters? As for Finley, why is it that he is treated like royalty. he's 35---If he can't produce from the bench, then let Udika have his minutes.

loveforthegame
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm quite sure that Pop doesn't care about a shooting slump.

I don't think he cares about that either. He'd rather Finley shoot the ball then have someone pass up the open shot like Barry was doing before this season and what Udoka is doing now. Even with Finley struggling guys like Hill and Bell, or Howard and Stackhouse, or Melo or whoever still don't leave Finley alone. They still gotta respect his shot. They'll leave Udoka open which could be beneficial if he shoots it or it allows his player to smother Duncan or cut off Parker and Ginobli.

I'm not making excuses for Finley because he needs to get it together but part of the problem is that he's not getting the open shots on offense like he was before. Duncan would be doubled and he'd pitch out or Parker would drive and kick out. Or the ball is passed from one side to the other where Fin was open. He's being forced to dribble or come off curls/screens but a player is still there.

As for the defensive rotations I think it's in part due to him not playing with the same guys. Before if he let a guy drive baseline he'd have Duncan back there when it's now Oberto or Horry or Thomas. I'm not sure about why he's leaving some guys open for 3's but I've seen others do the same thing. Disturbing trend.

temujin
03-09-2008, 06:36 PM
As much as I hate John Hollinger, he loves to point out that points in all four quarters count for the same at the end.

I did some research and it turns out that is true.

Taking a shot at 0-0 with 47' 30'' to go is NOT exactly the same as a three pointer down by three with 5''.

Anybody that has some vague experience of competitive basketball would agree with that.

batboy
03-09-2008, 06:38 PM
dude its not so much finleys fault though. We all forget that finley used to be a slam dunk competitor and used to be known for driving the ball in, in dallas. The spurs system has totally thrown finley off his game that he has become one dimensional being just a jump shooter. he looks so hesitant about driving in the ball and has lost total confidence in himself. but i do agree he needs to be benched. i see so much potential in udoka and hes gonna break through, these are the growing pains.

We brought Finley in to knock down open jumpers, period. We have enough guard penetration already, and someone has to make them pay when they collapse on Duncan.

If he needs layups to establish his jumper, he is of no use to us. We cannot allow Popp to show plays designed for Manu just to pamper a twelve year vet.

J_Paco
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

That's a part of his game that I have wondered where it has gone. He gets guys to committ with his head-fake then just steps in and takes a 18-15 foot jumpshot. I know he doesn't have the legs he used to in Dallas, but why not go to the rim to get his offense going?

He was killer in Dallas with his ability to attack the rim, but he's become like Vince Carter and stays away from the rim almost altogether. Also, his post-up game has vanished too, why doesn't Pop let him post-up smaller or weaker SG's when Finley's in with the second unit?

Bruno
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

After looking at Lenovo 50 lineups, 48 of them had Barry, Finley or Ginobili in them.
The two lineups without them were one with Bonner and one with Dermarr Johnson and Horry.

BonnerDynasty
03-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Finley needs to be sent to Austin.

He hurts the offense tremendously.

batboy
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Taking a shot at 0-0 with 47' 30'' to go is NOT exactly the same as a three pointer down by three with 5''.

Anybody that has some vague experience of competitive basketball would agree with that.

The box score says differently, and Finley can't make either anyway.

Letting Finley whiff all day in hopes that he can bail us out with some drama shot in clutch is a recipe for disaster.

1Parker1
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Except the Spurs can't F' him. Outside of our Big 3, who on this team has any offensive game? Horry, Vaughn/Stoudamire, even Oberto are not exactly offensive threats. Finley knocking down shots makes our offense a lot more versatile so it's important that he get it going. :(

slayermin
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
If Finley and Udoka were avocados, Finley would be the over ripened avocado with the brown stuff on the outside. If you cut away the brown stuff, you might have some good, green flesh left. Udoka, on the other hand, is the under ripened avocado which looks better and is somewhat edible but only the outside. It's still not ripe enough to make guacamole.

Choosing between Finley and Udoda is like choosing between brown guac. or lumpy guac.

Too bad we don't have two Manus because then we would have plenty of good guacamole to go around.

batboy
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
If Finley and Udoka were avocados, Finley would be the over ripened avocado with the brown stuff on the outside. If you cut away the brown stuff, you might have some good, green flesh left. Udoka, on the other hand, is the under ripened avocado which looks better and is somewhat edible but only the outside. It's still not ripe enough to make guacamole.

Choosing between Finley and Udoda is like choosing between brown guac. or lumpy guac.

Too bad we don't have two Manus because then we would have plenty of good guacamole to go around.

Please confine yourself to analogies that don't make my mouth water.

SenorSpur
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Thoughts?

I would say, until Barry gets back and gets his "legs under him", Udoka should start ahead of Finley. I just don't like what Finley is bringing to the table these days. Of course, that's been my compliant about him before he ever arrived - his streaky shooting lapses and his evolution into a "one-trick" pony.

Once Barry gets back up to speed, I'd like to see him starting. All this is contingent upon Manu/Fab tandem coming off the bench and KT starting the game.

batboy
03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
The one-trick pony aspect is fine, we only really need him to help spread the floor.

The problem is he is a zero-trick pony this year on both ends.

SenorSpur
03-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Sorry dude. Got to correct you on your assessment of Finley. It's not the Spurs system that has totally thrown Finley off and makd him become a one-dimensional jump shooter. He was already that when he arrived!

Sure he had a couple of memorable throwdowns versus the Mavs in the 2006 WCSF series, but those were simply exceptions. He's been strictly a catch-and-shoot jump shooter for the past 4-5 years. He rarely gets to the basket, can't create his own shot or shots for others. The Mavs fans, media and management had the same concerns about Finley for the last 2-3 seasons here was there. Other than his cost-prohibitive salary, why do you think they were willing to part with him?

I watched many a Mavs game during that time (I live in BIG D) and I can tell you this, by the time he hit S.A., Finley had already morphed into this one-trick pony that you see before you now.

J_Paco
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Sorry dude. Got to correct you on your assessment of Finley. It's not the Spurs system that has totally thrown Finley off and makd him become a one-dimensional jump shooter. He was already that when he arrived!

Sure he had a couple of memorable throwdowns versus the Mavs in the 2006 WCSF series, but those were simply exceptions. He's been strictly a catch-and-shoot jump shooter for the past 4-5 years. He rarely gets to the basket, can't create his own shot or shots for others. The Mavs fans, media and management had the same concerns about Finley for the last 2-3 seasons here was there. Other than his cost-prohibitive salary, why do you think they were willing to part with him?

I watched many a Mavs game during that time (I live in BIG D) and I can tell you this, by the time he hit S.A., Finley had already morphed into this one-trick pony that you see before you now.

But, when and how did he lose his legs/lift? I remember that period of his career as well, but can't recall when he lost his ability to attack the basket. Or was it that he basically "choose" to become a stationary jump shooter?

pku47
03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Fin is losing his shooting confidence right now

please Popo make sure your line up & rotation soon, and give Fin consistent minutes

Just shoooooooooooot, forget the loss

batboy
03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Fin is losing his shooting confidence right now

please Popo make sure your line up & rotation soon, and give Fin consistent minutes

Just shoooooooooooot, forget the loss

It's mid-March.

8 seed is 5 GB from 1 seed. If this were baseball, his ass would be in Austin.

DarrinS
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Thoughts?

I love Findawg, but lately what I'm seeing is just an old man. And he's always been in love with his own shot.

pku47
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
It's mid-March.

8 seed is 5 GB from 1 seed. If this were baseball, his ass would be in Austin.
His shoot will turn out to be FINE soon :rolleyes

I remember last two seasons he has sucked his shooting for a period :depressed and he figured it out then

I'm not believing that he is a better starter than Manu, but he wasn't the scapegoat of the loss either.

Give trust to every spur :toast (except Stoudamire...)

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Finley has sucked ass defensively, I'm fairly certain nothing in the Spurs playbook says make sure you are guarding open space on the court.

I'm with Kori, start Udoka, Finley has been a turnstyle and shooting like shit. In short, useless.

Sad thing is he's Pop's boy, which means he'll probably continue to start for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Das Texan
03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I'd start Udoka in a heartbeat right now.

He is playing vastly superior to Finley, while missing a rotation every now and then (which is to be expected still in his first year in this system), he has far surpassed my expectations to this point.

You have to live with his shooting, I happen to think its slowly improving, but if you put a gun to my head and I have to pick one, I want Udoka, if for nothing than his defensive abilities.

I'd like for Barry to be healthy though when he returns, but thats still a couple of weeks away, we'll see what happens at that time.

loveforthegame
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
It doesn't matter who starts as Finley will still get 20-24 minutes until Barry returns. It's simple we need Finley to hit shots and help spread the floor no matter when his minutes come.

urunobili
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
this thread and the conversation about Fin starting may have nothing to do with his D shall his J produces 12 points a game.. as he is not producing on the O end we're all exited about Udoka starting...

Das Texan
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
this thread and the conversation about Fin starting may have nothing to do with his D shall his J produces 12 points a game.. as he is not producing on the O end we're all exited about Udoka starting...

Its more like Finley is doing absolutely nothing for this team right now and in the recent past.

Ice009
03-10-2008, 12:30 AM

Thoughts?

LOL wow how did I miss this thread? I was just saying this in another thread for like the 1000000 time ;). This is one of the only starting line up changes Pop hasn't tried and it's the only one I wanted Pop to do since January.

This would also be perfect for when Barry comes back. With this move you can bring Brent off the bench again with out having to worry about court time for Ime.
I think Ime's shooting will improve in the starting 5 and he can help set a better defensive tone to start the game that will hopefully carry on through out the game for 48 minutes. I really do think this move needs to be done. Why can Pop try everything else yet he won't do this?

The way Michael is playing we might have to Steve Kerr him or worse yet Steve Smith him for the rest of the season.

spursrule32
03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
didn't get to see the game (funeral) - why didn't Udoka play in the last part of the game (not that you can read Pop's mind but was there anything else?) His line didn't look that bad - Finley's was terrible.

crc21209
03-10-2008, 12:52 AM
FUCK THIS SHIT! Why does Pop try different shit from game to game to game? Its ok against shitty teams but against good teams we need to come out of the gates strong and get a nice lead instead of dragging ass so therefore i say START MANU. His numbers have been better anyway when starting this yr so far. Finley is a waste of space right now, fuckin 0 for 6 shooting today, at this point MORE UDOKA, LESS FINLEY or MORE BARRY when he comes back LESS FINLEY.

roycrikside
03-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I believe today he said that he plans on keeping Manu coming off the bench for the rest of the season... which really means nothing coming from Pop :lol

For the record, I prefer Manu in the starting lineup. I think you should start your best five -- that's Duncan, Manu, Tony, Bowen and someone else. But, I understand Pop's reasoning of placing Manu on the bench - he gives the second unit the scoring they need. I also think Pop wants to start KT. And if Oberto is on the bench, he plays better in the unit with Manu.

I'm sick of watching Finley just completely miss rotations. He'll have one good shooting game and then everyone will love him again, but I'm not sure he's the answer as a starter anymore. (hopefully he steps up though)

It's a weak excuse to say leave Manu on the bench because Oberto plays better with Manu. I mean, check 82games.com sometime, EVERYBODY plays better with Manu. Good god, it's Manu.
http://82games.com/0708/0708SASP.HTM (http://)

The problem today was that the starters played like complete dog shit. Tony was so-so, but the others were terrible. Without the Manu/Oberto/Udoka trio, we get blown out.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2008, 05:03 AM
You missed my point about that. I'm saying that Oberto sucks without Manu. So Pop doesn't want to render Oberto useless. So either he'll start Manu and Oberto (which today he said he is not going to start Manu), or he'll start Finley (I guess) and KThomas.

And I don't think Oberto is the primary reason Manu doesn't start. I just think Pop wants his scoring punch off the bench and he wants to manage his minutes better.

I'd rather he just start Manu with KT. But Pop wants Manu off the bench now.

GrandeDavid
03-10-2008, 05:33 AM
I would start Udoka until Barry comes back. Finley just sucks now.

temujin
03-10-2008, 05:54 AM
The Spurs FO decided to go with the veterans of 07.
They kept Oberto and sent Scola to Houston.
They kept Barry and Bowen and Horry and Finley.
Finley was very important in key playoffs games last year.
And in long stretches this year too.

Popovich will stick to that and if he feels that starting makes Finley feels better, he will continue starting him.
Starting someone is just telling him "We count on you".

What really matters is who il playing at the END of close games.

batboy
03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Finley was very important in key playoffs games last year.
And in long stretches this year too.

Finley hasn't done anything in long stretches this year. Even in the rare month where is split is above 40, he lays some eggs. He's shooting 33 on the road. On pace for 26 overall in March. What is it with people's fetish with this guy? We already gave him a ring, we don't owe him perpetual excuses. He is a liability on both ends of the court.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Start Manu, stop using him as yo-yo because of POP's inability to develop a bench. :bang

wildchild
03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
You missed my point about that. I'm saying that Oberto sucks without Manu. So Pop doesn't want to render Oberto useless. So either he'll start Manu and Oberto (which today he said he is not going to start Manu), or he'll start Finley (I guess) and KThomas.

And I don't think Oberto is the primary reason Manu doesn't start. I just think Pop wants his scoring punch off the bench and he wants to manage his minutes better.

I'd rather he just start Manu with KT. But Pop wants Manu off the bench now.

I don't think so. Manu was coming off the bench and Oberto start last playoffs and Oberto played very well. In nov/dic Oberto had a really good games and Manu comes off the bench. Thomas start for five games and Manu start 3 and came off the bench 2 and the Oberto stats down.
The Oberto's play hurts coming off the bench.Doesn't matter Manu as start or Manu in the bench, 'cause I think the Thomas play is more solid without it mattering as start or coming off the bench I prefer Oberto in the starting lineup, there his play improving and Thomas as a solid Tim's back up.

On other hands I agree with you about "Pop wants Manu's scoring punch off the bench and he wants to manage his minutes better".

temujin
03-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Finley hasn't done anything in long stretches this year. Even in the rare month where is split is above 40, he lays some eggs. He's shooting 33 on the road. On pace for 26 overall in March. What is it with people's fetish with this guy? We already gave him a ring, we don't owe him perpetual excuses. He is a liability on both ends of the court.

I belong to the restricted crowd of those that believe players own championships.
Fans dont'.
They just WATCH. And cheer.

Guess why is that.

Finley has earned his championship by making some pretty big shots.

Popovich has some experience in winning championships and KNOWS distinctly well that for the Spurs to repeat he needs every single piece of his squad ready and confident.

Including Finley, and Horry, a non-entity so far.

Rick Von Braun
03-10-2008, 09:54 AM
My thoughts on the topic:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2310251&postcount=28

MoSpur
03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Bring Finley off the bench.

batboy
03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I belong to the restricted crowd of those that believe players own championships.
Fans dont'.
They just WATCH. And cheer.

Guess why is that.

Finley has earned his championship by making some pretty big shots.

Popovich has some experience in winning championships and KNOWS distinctly well that for the Spurs to repeat he needs every single piece of his squad ready and confident.

Including Finley, and Horry, a non-entity so far.

We as is SAS but w/e, cherry-pick something to go on a rant if you must. Yes, Michael Finley is better in a Los Spurs uniform than most fans. He is also much worse this year than most of the leauge. His development is of no concern to me at this point in the season: he has been getting tons of minutes all year and stinking up the gym. How much more time does he deserve because he made some cute joke about sleeping with the game ball?

Finley was a nice story in the playoffs last year, but if you think he made some irreplaceable contribution you are kidding yourself. There are tons of players not named Michael Finley in this league that can knock down open jumpers at 41%, and probably defend a little better.

MoSpur
03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Its not so much his offense or jumper. Its his defense. When they played the Nuggets, Carmelo went off to start the third quarter. Finley was the one on him. Coincidence??? I don't think so. I say you start Udoka because of his defense. Bring Oberto, Manu, Finley, Stoudemire, and Horry off the bench.