PDA

View Full Version : Whew...

Xylus
03-10-2008, 02:41 AM
*Wipes sweat off his brow*

This loss might not have meant much to you Spurs fans, but this win felt wonderful for us Suns fans. We've been struggling consistently against good teams. Since Shaq arrived, we got beat by the Hornets, Nuggets, Jazz, Lakers, and we got rrrrrrraped by the Pistons. We managed to beat the Blazers by a slim margin, and the Celtics couldn't hit a shot against us.

Today's game against the Spurs was the closest thing to a "must-win" that a team can play in the regular season. The sanity of our fans and the mood of the locker room were dependent on the outcome of this game. I thought the Suns played beautifully under pressure.

The guys proved today that they can beat anyone when they play with enough passion and energy. The Suns outhustled, outplayed, and outcoached the Spurs in the 4th quarter. Our offense was solid in the final minutes, and our defense was great for most of the game.

The real question is whether the Suns can use this victory to motivate them down the final stretch. With only 19 games left--10 on the road, 12 against plus-.500 teams--the time to play with urgency is now. Get our shit together, start playing some solid team defense, get Shaq integrated into the offense, give Skinner and Strawberry some minutes, and roll.

I'm optimistic all of a sudden, but it's the Suns we're talking about--I could be back into a deep, dark depression by the end of the week.

So what do you think? Was this a meaningless win for the Suns, or is this the start of a nice winning streak?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
props on the win man, you guys deserved it.

This could be a nice win to use as a springboard (much like my Spurs did after our last matchup with you guys) but without ruining your parade, I don't know if the Suns will even get past the first round if they have to face either SA, LAL, or Utah.

Could be a sign of good things to come, but the key is for them to keep up the intensity.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 03:26 AM
If the playoffs started today, I think the Hornets, Mavs, Lakers, Spurs, and Jazz would all take us out.

spurms
03-10-2008, 04:38 AM
If the playoffs started today, I think the Hornets, Mavs, Lakers, Spurs, and Jazz would all take us out.
along with the rockets, golden states and denver, which means a decent lottery pick for the suns.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2008, 04:54 AM
It was a good gutsy win by the Suns, who played hard and hustled, but I don't think the Spurs really showed up for that game. It seemed kind of like a victory with no moral victory. I'm not sure how good I'd be feeling if I were a Suns fan, but at this point I'd be happy with any W, and I'm sure beating the Spurs on national TV always feels good.

ancestron
03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I see the Suns doing a lot better in the postseason than most people think they will.

SpursDynasty
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
*Wipes sweat off his brow*

This loss might not have meant much to you Spurs fans, but this win felt wonderful for us Suns fans. We've been struggling consistently against good teams. Since Shaq arrived, we got beat by the Hornets, Nuggets, Jazz, Lakers, and we got rrrrrrraped by the Pistons. We managed to beat the Blazers by a slim margin, and the Celtics couldn't hit a shot against us.

Today's game against the Spurs was the closest thing to a "must-win" that a team can play in the regular season. The sanity of our fans and the mood of the locker room were dependent on the outcome of this game. I thought the Suns played beautifully under pressure.

The guys proved today that they can beat anyone when they play with enough passion and energy. The Suns outhustled, outplayed, and outcoached the Spurs in the 4th quarter. Our offense was solid in the final minutes, and our defense was great for most of the game.

The real question is whether the Suns can use this victory to motivate them down the final stretch. With only 19 games left--10 on the road, 12 against plus-.500 teams--the time to play with urgency is now. Get our shit together, start playing some solid team defense, get Shaq integrated into the offense, give Skinner and Strawberry some minutes, and roll.

I'm optimistic all of a sudden, but it's the Suns we're talking about--I could be back into a deep, dark depression by the end of the week.

So what do you think? Was this a meaningless win for the Suns, or is this the start of a nice winning streak?

I'd say it was a meaningless win. Being able to beat one team does not equal playoff success. Just ask Dallas.

Spurminator
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I had been worried about this game for a couple of weeks. A win vs. the Spurs is just what the Suns need to potentially right the ship. And we still can't seem to put together a good performance in the afternoon.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
The last time the Suns had a huge win, when they beat the Celtics in a defense-oriented slugfest a few weeks ago, they followed that up by getting their asses kicked by Detroit... so it's hard to say what will happen next.

But our guys played with a lot of passion and energy in yesterday's game, something I haven't really seen all season. That's what's been missing from this team. If the energy and passion are there, so, too, will the defense.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Who do you guys play next? Detroit is no slouch, so I wouldn't take losing to them too badly. We get out asses kicked by Detroit in our own building all the time lately.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
The next 5 games are probably the easiest part of our remaining schedule.

Memphis
Golden State
Sacramento
@ Portland
@ Seattle

This is as good a time as any to create some momentum. Start beating up on the mediocre teams, get some rhythm going for the rough stretch ahead. The next three games after that stretch?

Houston
@ Detroit
@ Boston

OUCH.

LakeShow
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Who do you guys play next? Detroit is no slouch, so I wouldn't take losing to them too badly. We get out asses kicked by Detroit in our own building all the time lately.

I expect the Spurs to make the playoffs but their schedule for March is gruesome! I can see them losing their place at the top of the division after this month with 5 back to backs to play. Your thoughts?

On the Suns, I think this game only proved that they can play with SA. The Spurs offense isn't that good so the Suns looked better on defense than they have against the teams with very good offenses. I would feel good going up against SA, but I couldn't take anything else away from this game.

hater
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I see sun trolls come back to this forum only after a win

and no, you did not beat the Celtics with your defense :lol Celtics beat themselves on that game

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
It's definitely not a meaningless win. If nothing else it's a win in the west as we head towards the home stretch, and any and all W's that come during that time will mean something. I don't think that it's a guarantee towards a big winning streak, but it at least buys them some time to get the media monkey off their back that had been saying they couldn't possibly win with Shaq. If they had lost this game there would be even more shit coming down on their head.

If they win it all this year I think many will come back to this win as the turnaround, but it's tough to assign a meaning to a game right now when clearly neither team was at their best.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I see sun trolls come back to this forum only after a win
There are no Sun trolls in this topic.

and no, you did not beat the Celtics with your defense :lol Celtics beat themselves on that game
Okay, when a team only manages to score 77 on you, it's not because you're playing poor defense. The Celtics were cold, sure, but the Suns had something to do with it.

stretch
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
There are no Sun trolls in this topic.

Okay, when a team only manages to score 77 on you, it's not because you're playing poor defense. The Celtics were cold, sure, but the Suns had something to do with it.
Hater has truly became one of the biggest idiots on spurstalk. Not many people epitomize stupidity the way he does.

hater
03-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Hater has truly became one of the biggest idiots on spurstalk. Not many people epitomize stupidity the way he does.

thanks! coming from a mavfan, that is truly a compliment :toast

crc21209
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
The next 5 games are probably the easiest part of our remaining schedule.

Memphis
Golden State
Sacramento
@ Portland
@ Seattle

This is as good a time as any to create some momentum. Start beating up on the mediocre teams, get some rhythm going for the rough stretch ahead. The next three games after that stretch?

Houston
@ Detroit
@ Boston

OUCH.

The Suns didnt beat the Spurs, i think the Spurs beat themselves. I think Phx can possibly lose to both Golden State and Sacramento this week, hell maybe even Portland. Golden State more likely. Then to have Houston, Detroit, and Boston, thats hell.

Gino
03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
The Suns didnt beat the Spurs, i think the Spurs beat themselves. I think Phx can possibly lose to both Golden State and Sacramento this week, hell maybe even Portland. Golden State more likely. Then to have Houston, Detroit, and Boston, thats hell.

LMAO! The proverbial "we didn't lose to them, we beat ourselves!"

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
LMAO! The proverbial "we didn't lose to them, we beat ourselves!"
That's probably the biggest cliche here at SpursTalk.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
That's probably the biggest cliche here at SpursTalk.
It is true sometimes, though far less than the amount of times it appears. Suns were laying bricks on open looks from the 3 pt line. They hit those at the usual clip and the Spurs lose by twice as much. Neither team showed their best stuff yesterday.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
It is true sometimes, though far less than the amount of times it appears. Suns were laying bricks on open looks from the 3 pt line. They hit those at the usual clip and the Spurs lose by twice as much. Neither team showed their best stuff yesterday.
I agree that it is sometimes true, maybe often true, that the Spurs beat themselves in losses.

But it annoys me when people say things like, "Well the Spurs shot 35%, got outrebounded, and the Big 3 looked poor, but we still only lost by 7," when the Suns shot below their average and couldn't hit an open 3-pointer to save their lives. Both teams played poorly in certain areas, and I think it's arrogant to say that the Suns didn't have a lot to do with their own victory.

Findog
03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I'd say it was a meaningless win. Being able to beat one team does not equal playoff success. Just ask Dallas.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Gino
03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree that it is sometimes true, maybe often true, that the Spurs beat themselves in losses.

But it annoys me when people say things like, "Well the Spurs shot 35%, got outrebounded, and the Big 3 looked poor, but we still only lost by 7," when the Suns shot below their average and couldn't hit an open 3-pointer to save their lives. Both teams played poorly in certain areas, and I think it's arrogant to say that the Suns didn't have a lot to do with their own victory.

Not to mention Amare didn't play well. Neither did Barbosa and Diaw.

You had Amare in foul trouble the whole game, Diaw and Barbosa playing like crap and the Suns still won.

Basically everyone wants to believe that if all the bad things that happened went good and an all the good things that happened stayed good, then our team would have won the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I expect the Spurs to make the playoffs but their schedule for March is gruesome! I can see them losing their place at the top of the division after this month with 5 back to backs to play. Your thoughts?

On the Suns, I think this game only proved that they can play with SA. The Spurs offense isn't that good so the Suns looked better on defense than they have against the teams with very good offenses. I would feel good going up against SA, but I couldn't take anything else away from this game.

SA has a brutal stretch but I'd like to think they'd fare better than people would expect if only because I can't see Pop letting them go 4-6 seeing as how close all the teams are within each other in the standings.

I am hoping we can get the #2 seed at the very worst, but I would hate to play Dallas or Phoenix in round 1.

As for Phoenix/SA, I do think Phoenix might match up better than before, but it did take one hell of an effort from the Suns to take down the Spurs on their home floor.....and even then SA had a 5 point lead with 5 minutes to go in the fourth. SA has been shooting very poorly in US Airways this year, but come playoff time I think if the two teams were to face each other, the Spurs would take it in 6. Pop will make adjustments accordingly. I also think Brent Barry's return will help (he won't give us 20 points a night or anything but aside from his 3 point shooting, his ball movement for the team is pretty efficient).

Hopefully we'll see you guys in the WCF and we can renew this rivalry :toast

Amuseddaysleeper
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Then you might wanna skip my above post.

I still believe the Spurs lost the game due to silly mistakes down the stretch and missing point blank shots, but really, the Suns intensity proved how badly they wanted the game.

The question is whether or not they can keep up the intensity every single night in the playoffs.

You guys should make up on a lot of ground with the upcoming stretch. I think it's good for teams to be challenged this late in the season because it already puts them in a strong mindset about what to expect in the playoffs.

endrity
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM

They used the same argument when they barely beat the Mavs two weeks ago. They said Parker and Manu played bad, otherwise they should have killed the Mavs. Parker was a little off his game, but Manu had Kidd in his face the whole game and they actually said that during the GDT. Manu is exactly the kind of player Kidd usually defends well.

On the other hand Terry played awful, missing open shot after open shot, Josh is still figuring his way into this new offense, and Dirk got to the line but other than a 3rd quarter stretch he neither shot the ball well. All of them usually play well against the Spurs, but their fans conviniently forgot that.

The fact of the matter is that Shaq was brought to Phoenix to help them against the Spurs. I think he does. I think he will help them with the typical half-court teams, as the Boston game also shows. The problem for Phoenix now is that they really are vulnerable against fast teams. With the exception of Amare, they are can be possibly outquicked at every other position. It is a little ironic I think that the system that the Suns forced onto the rest of the league, is the one that might be their demise in the plyaoffs. The Jazz, LA, and GS are the ones that Suns should really try to avoid I think. For my money I think they match up well with Dal, LA, and Houston. NO did beat them with Shaq, but I think with a little more practice, that matchup is not as favourable to the Hornets as the regular season games (0-4 record for the Suns) show.

SpursDynasty
03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Duncan and Manu missed a couple of point blank shots. End of story. Phoenix is still mediocre and they will lose some more games and finish 50-32.

LEONARD
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Phoenix is still mediocre and they will lose some more games and finish 50-32.

*documented

endrity
03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Lol, Leonard. You trully have made a mission out of showing SD's stupidity. We all get it though, we know he is a dumbass.

I honestly believe he gets pleasure out people getting all riled up for what he says. Just let him be. If people ignore him long enough, he will stop at some point.

Shred
03-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Duncan and Manu missed a couple of point blank shots. End of story. Phoenix is still mediocre and they will lose some more games and finish 50-32.

Shaq and Stoudemire missed some point-blank layups, too. I distinctly remember one series in the 4th where the Suns had 1-2 offensive rebounds but their point-blank put-backs didn't go in, so those kinds of things cut both ways.

TampaDude
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Folks, the WC is tight for a reason...

Obstructed_View
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I still think the Shaq trade will ultimately make the Suns better than they were before, but I don't think their defense is sound because they happened to catch the Spurs and Celtics on bad days. NBA teams beat each other all the time, and the fact that the Suns manage to win a game here or there just means they have a chance to avoid being swept by whoever they face in the playoffs. Like I said, I think the Suns will figure out how to play with Shaq and how to play their offensive game at the same time, and when that happens they'll be a much more dangerous playoff opponent, but I don't think they've done it any more than I think the Spurs' winning streak meant that they were playing good basketball.

BUMP
03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
i think this is the start of something good for the Suns. it works perfect for them with about 20 games left, they have just enough time to gel with Shaq in there and not too muh time to where they get bored and start to fall back down. i never thought the Suns would collapse and be the team that misses the postseason. i still think Golden State will be the odd team out