PDA

View Full Version : Can players be taught how to defend?

DarrinS
03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
I've often wondered why certain NBA players, e.g. Carmello Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk, etc. don't dedicate themseleves to becoming better defenders. All they do is give a half-assed attempt at slapping down on the ball. If these guys could only learn to become good defenders, their teams would be extremely difficult to beat.

Thoughts?

urunobili
03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
it just requires will and discipline to absorb your coaches request. the so called D "fire" has to be inside the player as well...

ancestron
03-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Sure they can. But why waste all that energy playing good defense when it can be saved for a reverse windmill jam?

DarrinS
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
it just requires will and discipline to absorb your coaches request. the so called D "fire" has to be inside the player as well...

Amare Stoudemire would be our worst nightmare if he was a great defender. Another thing about Stoudemire -- is it just me, or does Shaq seem to take away from Amare's offensive game?

remingtonbo2001
03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Coaching and Basketball IQ.

SAGambler
03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Sure, you can be coached to be a decent defender, but where is the glory in that? The glory is in putting up 30 or 40 a game, and to do that, you can't expend a lot of energy on the Defensive end.

That's why Manu is worn out by the end of the game. He is expending energy on both ends.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Amare Stoudemire would be our worst nightmare if he was a great defender. Another thing about Stoudemire -- is it just me, or does Shaq seem to take away from Amare's offensive game?

I don't think that is the case. In the last seven games prior to playing the spurs Amare averaged 28.5 points.

CubanSucks
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
But defense doesn't get good t.v. ratings. And every other team knows it's better to appeal to the rest of the country than it is to win championships. :lol

WalterBenitez
03-10-2008, 10:15 AM

A couple of kick in their asses are also helpful.
:D

Indazone
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Sure it can, just ask JVG

SenorSpur
03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Absolutely they can. However it takes willingness, discipline and desire for a player to defend every possession of every game he's on the court. Finley is a good example. He was a terrible defender before arriving in S.A.. Mainly because he was never held accountable for playing defense. Now he's at least an average defender, who is willing to do it every time out.

hater
03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Defense does not require much skill or athleticism that's why Bowen still in the NBA.

Defense is actually the ONLY thing in basketball that can be taught, everything else shooting, passing, etc you have to be born with.

thebigchill
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Sure they can. But why waste all that energy playing good defense when it can be saved for a reverse windmill jam?

BINGO! :clap

BonnerDynasty
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Defense does not require much skill or athleticism that's why Bowen still in the NBA.

Defense is actually the ONLY thing in basketball that can be taught, everything else shooting, passing, etc you have to be born with.

uhhhh no.

SouthernFried
03-10-2008, 12:42 PM

One of the dumber things I've heard here.

Defense is all about desire. You want to do it...you can. There are basics to it. Understanding how to block out...keeping your legs parallel and moving side to side instead of back and forth, understanding opponents habits, spacing, where to keep your eye focus, etc.

There is no NBA player that doesn't know this. But, you gotta have the desire to do it.

And a coach who demands it.

Gino
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM

You are obviously are clueless. Do you know what Amare has been averaging since the Shaq trade?

JamStone
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes, defense can be taught. Players improve defensively all the time. Thing is it's a combination of a lot of things in order to be great offensively. Athleticism, strength, and quickness is needed. Desire, determination, and effort is required. And, technique and positioning is required. Great defensive players put all of those things together. Defense can be taught, but excelling at defense requires more than just things that can be taught.

hater
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
One of the dumber things I've heard here.

Defense is all about desire. You want to do it...you can. There are basics to it. Understanding how to block out...keeping your legs parallel and moving side to side instead of back and forth, understanding opponents habits, spacing, where to keep your eye focus, etc.

There is no NBA player that doesn't know this. But, you gotta have the desire to do it.

And a coach who demands it.

read the question at the top. Can it be taught? Yes is what I said. and my point was that anyone can play defense, as long as they are dedicated.

Of course that you have to desire to play defense, duh. I thought it was obvious that 1st step to doing anything is to desire to do it :bang

and no it's not all about desire. it's about learning the fundamentals are being dedicated.

hater
03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
uhhhh no.

then can u answer me why Bowen can't shoot from midrange? why Duncan still misses FTs? why Parker is not a great passer?

Kori Ellis
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
The fundamentals of defense can be taught. But to be effective, you have to have a strong basketball IQ, quick feet, good court vision, an understanding of how different offenses work and a HUGE desire.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
In Amare's case, he has the desire to become a better player, and at times he'll go through stretches where he plays fantastic defense. But he's so talented offensively, that he becomes egotistical, content with himself, so he dogs it on defense.

A bigger problem that I see is that D'Antoni doesn't demand anything more from Stoudemire. He might get on Amare's case from time to time, but he doesn't call Amare out like he should.

If Amare were playing under Pop, I think you'd see a more focused Amare on the defensive end.

JamStone
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Amare doesn't appear to have the self discipline to be a great defender. He obviously has the physical gifts to be a great defender. But, he lacks the patience and discipline to stand his ground, use his core body strength, and body up players instead of trying to go for blocks and steals. Sound defense requires more than just getting blocks and steals, and Amare doesn't appear to get that. He's not a great team defender. And, for a big, he doesn't like contact at the defensive end. He can be taught to be a better defensive player. But, it's his willingness to make the effort to do it consistently. That cannot be taught.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
then can u answer me why Bowen can't shoot from midrange? why Duncan still misses FTs? why Parker is not a great passer?
How does Chip Englund have a job if you can't teach shooting? Parker's J has improved dramatically in the last 18 months.

Any skill in basketball is like anything else you want to learn in life, with a good teacher and enough dedication you can pick it up.

DarrinS
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
You are obviously are clueless. Do you know what Amare has been averaging since the Shaq trade?

Well, I guess what I meant was, it seems like Amare disappears the more dominant Shaq plays. A good example of that was the Spurs game, when Shaq played his best game as a Sun (so far) and Amare put up rather pedestrian numbers.

But, thanks anyway for your awesome 5th contribution to this forum.

jag
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM

As far as this post is concerned...
"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony, i know what to do, i just dont know where to start."

Lets start with with that last little tid bit of information you bestowed upon us:

I was unaware that Ray Allen was birthed from his mother's womb with the natural instincts of great bend in his knees, good alignment with his elbow, and amazing shot selection.

Xylus
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
As far as this post is concerned...
"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony, i know what to do, i just dont know where to start."

Lets start with with that last little tid bit of information you bestowed upon us:

I was unaware that Ray Allen was birthed from his mother's womb with the natural instincts of great bend in his knees, good alignment with his elbow, and amazing shot selection.
:lmao

hater
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM

wow, so you don't beleive ray allen was born to be a great shooter?

Gino
03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, I guess what I meant was, it seems like Amare disappears the more dominant Shaq plays. A good example of that was the Spurs game, when Shaq played his best game as a Sun (so far) and Amare put up rather pedestrian numbers.

But, thanks anyway for your awesome 5th contribution to this forum.

I see...so you have to wait a couple hundred posts before being allowed to point out that "DarrinS" is a moron?

I hope your two thousand previous posts were better than that one.

DarrinS
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I see...so you have to wait a couple hundred posts before being allowed to point out that "DarrinS" is a moron?

I hope your two thousand previous posts were better than that one.

But it only took you a few posts to show that you're are a bandwagoning troll.

Joe Schmoogins
03-10-2008, 03:17 PM

I must disagree... Defense does take skill and athleticism. If you think Bowen is not skilled or athletic... That must be some good stuff you are smoking.

Good defense requires tons of effort it's true.. But it also requires skills such as foot work, body control, hand placement, balance, court awareness, communication, and "clutchness" or the ability to focus and execute under pressure. It requires athletic abilities such as strength, foot speed, hand speed, quickness, and agility.

I would also disagree with you that things such as passing and shooting cannot be taught. If this was true, Chip wouldn't have a job.

What can not be taught is how to be clutch. People just assume that the only time you need to be clutch is when shooting the ball... not true. Bruce is clutch and it shows up in his defense.

Defensive techniques can be taught just as offensive techniques can be taught. However, in order to be a great defender, it sure helps to have some of the intangibles...

ALVAREZ6
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
The fundamentals of defense can be taught, but after that, it's 100% desire/effort/heart. I never understand when good players suck at defense, it's all a question of whether or not you're a lazy ass pussy or not. I hate when I've been on teams and people don't try 100% on defense. If you're athletic enough to play basketball, then all you need is effort on defense. The type of player that's very good on offense but plays shitty defense (Melo) is the type of player that plays the game for himself. If he plays for his team, he would bust his ass on defense.

ALVAREZ6
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Good defense requires tons of effort it's true.. But it also requires skills such as foot work, body control, hand placement, balance, court awareness, communication, and "clutchness" or the ability to focus and execute under pressure. It requires athletic abilities such as strength, foot speed, hand speed, quickness, and agility.

I would also disagree with you that things such as passing and shooting cannot be taught. If this was true, Chip wouldn't have a job.

What can not be taught is how to be clutch. People just assume that the only time you need to be clutch is when shooting the ball... not true. Bruce is clutch and it shows up in his defense.
What kind of skill is "hand placement"? And foot work, body control, balance...these assets should be present in any NBA player, or at least guard..you can't make it that far otherwise. These are basic skills that people who play sports should have, coaches make you work on these things from high school to the pros. What I'm leading to is if an NBA guard or SF plays shitty D...he's just a lazy piece of shit.

I agree with the clutch part. Defending really well down the stretch of the 4th quarter is very clutch. Especially if you've been defending really well all game because if you have, you should be drained by the 4th quarter. Playing perimeter defense effectively is probably the most tiring part of the game. I know when I play in games I'm always the most tired because I have to guard other quick guards and I play defense with effort, and I'd say it's the most tiring part of the game. It's obviously much less tiring for a center or PF to play defense, they are essentially standing there.