PDA

View Full Version : Cuban is a petty tyrant

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Mark Cuban's policy bans blogger(s) from Dallas Mavericks locker room

by Tim MacMahon

Unless Mark Cuban changes his mind, I won't be posting any more nuggets from the Mavs' locker room on this here blog.

I'm told that the timing is a coincidence, but the Mavs decided to ban bloggers from the locker room Feb. 29, the day after Jason Kidd watched the final 34 seconds in San Antonio and hours after I wrote this post reacting to some fans' Fire Avery crusade. It took the Mavs another week to craft the following policy.

The Dallas Mavericks will not allow ANY writer into the locker room areas pre-game and post-game whose primary purpose is to blog no matter what affiliation. They may still represent their respective publication at games but will not be granted locker room access.
Furthermore, if a blog writer is coming to cover a game, the publication must inform the Mavericks PR staff they are sending a blogger. In order to enforce this policy, we must know this information.

We have gone this route because we did not want to give preferential treatment to any blogger, whether they are an individual or from a large media outlet. We just do not have enough room in the locker room, nor enough media passes to fairly accommodate everyone.

I've managed to cover dozens of Mavs games over the last few seasons without seeing/causing a major overcrowding issue in the team's spacious locker room. To my knowledge, this policy won't affect any other credentialed media member who regularly attends Mavs games.

The Bad Boy Pistons had the Jordan Rules. These Mavs have the MacMahon Rules. I guess I could consider that an honor, but I'd rather just keep doing my job and providing our readers as much interesting Mavs information as possible.

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/

So does this mean he is going to ban himself???

hater
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I heard Hugo Chavez is a consultant for Cuban's front office

Findog
03-10-2008, 03:24 PM
MacMahon is a douche, but it's not worth the bad publicity. If I were him, I'd have banned Jennifer Cunt Engle.

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
MacMahon is a douche, but it's not worth the bad publicity. If I were him, I'd have banned Jennifer Cunt Engle.

I don't think "JCE" is that bad on the radio.

ChumpDumper
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
He should have said the fire marshal told him the bloggers were blocking the exits.

Shank
03-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Odd that the owner of BLOGMAVERICK.com would do such a thing.

Findog
03-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Oh yes she is, because that fingernails on a blackboard voice is attached to those retarded words. I can't even read her in that "I hate them but I want to make fun of their stupid takes" way. I just skip over her column in the FWST.

dickface
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Jen Engel is pure radio anthrax.

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh yes she is, because that fingernails on a blackboard voice is attached to those retarded words. I can't even read her in that "I hate them but I want to make fun of their stupid takes" way. I just skip over her column in the FWST.

Hate has some good arguments but she is a bit too apologetic when it comes to local teams. She needs to be more abrasive and stop lickin ass like everyone else on ESPN.

Findog
03-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Hate has some good arguments but she is a bit too apologetic when it comes to local teams. She needs to be more abrasive and stop lickin ass like everyone else on ESPN.

Really? Because I thought the whole "hate" schtick is that she's always ripping people, just for the sake of ripping them, whether it's deserved or not.

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
This is a little surprising considering how Cuban has embraced the internet and blogging culture in general.

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
This is a little surprising considering how Cuban has embraced the internet and blogging culture in general.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me make this sloppy pile of food go DOWN.

mavsfan1000
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Cuban is a god.

CubanMustGo
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Cuban is a god.

in his own mind, at least. And at most.

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Cuban has his rough edges and some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable, such as this. But he's still better than 90% of the sports owners that are out there.

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Really? Because I thought the whole "hate" schtick is that she's always ripping people, just for the sake of ripping them, whether it's deserved or not.

I don't really care about Galloway's BS nicknames. All I know is its always a cowboys/mavs lick-fest on that station. Maybe thats why I only listen during ticket commercial breaks.

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Cuban has his rough edges and some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable, such as this. But he's still better than 90% of the sports owners that are out there.

His only flaw is his perception. Maybe he does more good than bad for his team, but its the bad that stands out and this example is rediculous. This looks bad only in that he comes across like a deluded cry baby. He doesn't like the blog-style opinions yet he's quick to fire off one of his own when he doesn't agree with something. He needs to take the good with the bad instead of 1. This rediculous new policy. 2. Spending money on a consultant who monitors nothing but referee calls and 3. Always sending tape off to the league for review.

Plus, countless other antics he does. It may look "renegade" or "revolutionary" to his fans, but he is making himself look more like an :donkey than anything.

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:35 PM
His only flaw is his perception. Maybe he does more good than bad for his team, but its the bad that stands out and this example is rediculous. This looks bad only in that he comes across like a deluded cry baby. He doesn't like the blog-style opinions yet he's quick to fire off one of his own when he doesn't agree with something. He needs to take the good with the bad instead of 1. This rediculous new policy. 2. Spending money on a consultant who monitors nothing but referee calls and 3. Always sending tape off to the league for review.

Plus, countless other antics he does. It may look "renegade" or "revolutionary" to his fans, but he is making himself look more like an :donkey than anything.

Actually, in his shoes, I would deny a press credential to a member of the press that did nothing but constantly rip my team no matter what, but I wouldn't deny press credentials to ALL bloggers, so he's wrong here. He's not the only league figure to send tapes to the League Office, pretty much all teams do it. The stuff like making fun of the Riverwalk, he's just trying to stir up a rivalry with the Spurs. He's playing the role of a heel.

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
I think the Mavs and their fans do an acceptable job of making themselves look like jack asses. Cuban is just icing on the cake.

mavsfan1000
03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I think the Mavs and their fans do an acceptable job of making themselves look like jack asses. Cuban is just icing on the cake.
:stfu :idiot

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:39 PM

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me make this sloppy pile of food go DOWN.

Holmes_Fans
03-10-2008, 04:43 PM

1. Ok it's a stupid policy
2. When did he do this? I heard about him hiring people to gather their win/loss record for each referee.
3. Uhm, even the league office said Cuban rarely sends in tape, the announcers just always make a joke whenever there is a bad call that he will be sending in that tape.

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
For all the shit that Mav fans and Cuban himself talk they got NOTHING to show for it. Fucking embarrassing franchise IMHO and I really don't know how they can still have fans after their pathetic playoff performances the last two seasons.

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
For all the shit that Mav fans and Cuban himself talk they got NOTHING to show for it. Fucking embarrassing franchise IMHO and I really don't know how they can still have fans after their pathetic playoff performances the last two seasons.

mavsfan1000
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes it's called bad luck. Something most teams in the league face.

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Give it up mavsfan1000, you know SpursDynasty is right. The Mavs are historically more pathetic than the Grizzlies and the Clippers.

DazedAndConfused
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Bad luck??? HAHHAHAH

Findog
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Bad luck??? HAHHAHAH

G-Nob
03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Actually, in his shoes, I would deny a press credential to a member of the press that did nothing but constantly rip my team no matter what, but I wouldn't deny press credentials to ALL bloggers, so he's wrong here. He's not the only league figure to send tapes to the League Office, pretty much all teams do it. The stuff like making fun of the Riverwalk, he's just trying to stir up a rivalry with the Spurs. He's playing the role of a heel.

I realize that. America's eating your lunch.

Meanwhile, Cuban's threatening to sell the team because D-Wade torched that ass Games 4,5 & 6 and not because Mavs couldn't play D but because the Refs screwed em.

I'm not trying to peel off scabs, just trying to prove my point.

Findog
03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I realize that. America's eating your lunch.

Meanwhile, Cuban's threatening to sell the team because D-Wade torched that ass Games 4,5 & 6 and not because Mavs couldn't play D but because the Refs screwed em.

I'm not trying to peel off scabs, just trying to prove my point.

My only comment about the officiating in the 06 NBA Finals is...there have been plenty of non-Mav fans and people that haven't been affiliated with the franchise that have said whatever I would say, such as Phil Jackson, Tracy McGrady, Bill Simmons, etc. Ultimately you can't blame the refs, but pointing out it was a poorly-officiated series makes us crybabies, and probably for good reason. As far as I'm concerned, I like to pretend our 05-06 season ended with us overcoming an 18-point deficit on Phoenix's floor to clinch the Western Conference. What happened after that is partly what the refs did to us and what we did to ourselves.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
So when Cuban is a total and complete douche on his blog, it's just because he's trying to generate excitement, and he's expressing his free speech as a member of the Internet community, but when another blogger does the same thing but Cuban doesn't like it...

endrity
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Well some of the bloggers right now are hunting for Avery's head. While the criticism of Avery is correct, this is the worst time for the team to go through it. They need to come together, and learn how to play in this new team. They can't loose focus cause people wanna fire their coach, while that might be deserved.

Cuban is doing this to help his team, so really there is nothing to be critical about. The Mavs have long been one of the easiest teams to cover for reporters compared to others in the league. So it's not fair to criticize Cuban for this move I think.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Well some of the bloggers right now are hunting for Avery's head. While the criticism of Avery is correct, this is the worst time for the team to go through it. They need to come together, and learn how to play in this new team. They can't loose focus cause people wanna fire their coach, while that might be deserved.

Cuban is doing this to help his team, so really there is nothing to be critical about. The Mavs have long been one of the easiest teams to cover for reporters compared to others in the league. So it's not fair to criticize Cuban for this move I think.
Nor would a self-respecting Mavericks fan ever criticize Mark Cuban for any decision he makes, no matter how hypocritical or self-serving.

monosylab1k
03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Nor would a self-respecting Mavericks fan ever criticize Mark Cuban for any decision he makes, no matter how hypocritical or self-serving.
Finding a Mavs fan that would do that is like finding a Spurs fan that would admit Bruce Bowen is dirty.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Finding a Mavs fan that would do that is like finding a Spurs fan that would admit Bruce Bowen is dirty.
There are lots of Spurs fans that say Bruce Bowen is dirty. I don't think he is, but I criticized him for kicking Ray Allen. I'm perfectly content to make it all about the Spurs to deflect from your undying affection for Mark Cuban. Congratulations, you guys are as bad as the worst of the Spurs fans!

GuerillaBlack
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
A joke right?

monosylab1k
03-10-2008, 09:16 PM
There are lots of Spurs fans that say Bruce Bowen is dirty.
There are lots of Mavs fans that say Mark Cuban is an idiot.

Findog
03-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Whatever:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2311098&postcount=15

"Cuban has his rough edges and some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable, such as this."

No self-respecting Spurs fan would ever acknowledge that he runs the Mavs better than 90% of professional sports franchises.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
No self-respecting Spurs fan would ever acknowledge that he runs the Mavs better than 90% of Mavericks owners before him.
Fixed for accuracy.

And that was a scathing indictment of Mark Cuban by you. He might actually furrow his brow if he were to read your mildly worded rebuke. Your membership in the Lil' Mavs' Club might be subject to review. What courage you have.

LEONARD
03-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Cubes is the man...

Findog
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Fixed for accuracy.

And that was a scathing indictment of Mark Cuban by you. He might actually furrow his brow if he were to read your mildly worded rebuke. Your membership in the Lil' Mavs' Club might be subject to review. What courage you have.

That's right, give me Ross Perot Jr or give me death! If you don't demand that he sell the club immediately to a consortium of venture capitalists that won't spend any money on the team, then you're a Mark Cuban knobgobbler.

Indazone
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Cuban pulls the using proprietary information against Nellie when his team got ass-whooped was one of the lowest and weakest moves an owner could have ever made.

And ya wonder why he gets no respect. DOH!

Findog
03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Cuban pulls the using proprietary information against Nellie when his team got ass-whooped was one of the lowest and weakest moves an owner could have ever made.

And ya wonder why he gets no respect. DOH!

Fuck off, you don't even know what you're talking about. The only source for that was Nellie's lawyer, a real impartial, objective and unbiased observer. Go back and read the news articles, one thing you'll notice is that the only source for that claim was him.

LEONARD
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Cuban might be on the radio in a few min's to discuss...
http://theticket.com/listen.htm

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
That's right, give me Ross Perot Jr or give me death! If you don't demand that he sell the club immediately to a consortium of venture capitalists that won't spend any money on the team, then you're a Mark Cuban knobgobbler.
No, when you can be counted on to show up to defend him as soon as he does something to draw criticism, show that weak-assed "not admirable" quote as evidence of your impartiality, and make up ridiculous strawman arguments like the one above when someone points out your complete man-love for Cuban, THEN you're a Mark Cuban knob gobbler. :lol

Findog
03-11-2008, 10:42 AM
No, when you can be counted on to show up to defend him as soon as he does something to draw criticism, show that weak-assed "not admirable" quote as evidence of your impartiality, and make up ridiculous strawman arguments like the one above when someone points out your complete man-love for Cuban, THEN you're a Mark Cuban knob gobbler. :lol

What would you have me do to express sufficient disapproval? Change my allegiance to the Spurs? Never go to a Mavs game again as long as he's the owner? Burn all my Mavs gear? Start picketing outside Mavs games? Start an anti-Cuban website? Perpetuate a Denial of Service attack on dallasmavericks.com? I mean, it's obviously not sufficient to say "I think he's wrong in this instance." You have to apparently make some sort of deeper gesture to meet with Obstucted View's approval.

Am I impartial? No, I tend to be happy about his financial commitment to fielding a winning team. But I'm not blind either. I can recognize when he's doing something wrong.

Are you impartial? No, you're not fucking close. And you are blind if you think he ultimately represents something bad or evil in professional sports.

Findog
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Cuban might be on the radio in a few min's to discuss...
http://theticket.com/listen.htm

Fake Mark Cuban or real Cuban? Post a summary here if you listen to the segment, I'm curious what he would say. He posted a response on BlogMaverick, but I didn't even bother linking or posting, because I don't really care one way or the other. He should've just let MacMahon have his credential, because the publicity isn't worth it, and he should encourage an atmosphere of transparency and accountability to the press, but ultimately this is much ado about nothing.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Fuck off, you don't even know what you're talking about. The only source for that was Nellie's lawyer, a real impartial, objective and unbiased observer. Go back and read the news articles, one thing you'll notice is that the only source for that claim was him.
Cuban filed the claim in arbitration. It's a matter of record. Was it a ploy? Yes. Was it a creative legal strategy? Yes. Did he do it? Absolutely.

LEONARD
03-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Real Mark...Norm is on.

Findog
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Cuban filed the claim in arbitration. It's a matter of record. Was it a ploy? Yes. Was it a creative legal strategy? Yes. Did he do it? Absolutely.

No, Cuban filed a counter-claim that Nellie broke his non-compete clause as a consultant by taking the Warriors head-coaching job. Nellie originally filed a claim that he was owed deferred compensation by Cuban from an arrangement Nellie had originally made with Ross Perot Jr, and that he was free to take the Warriors job when Cuban stopped paying him his consulting fees. When you buy an entity, you inherit all assets and liabilities. Cuban is wrong to hold up on paying money Nellie is owed. The "proprietary info" claim is NOT a matter of public record, it is Nellie's lawyer's characterization of Cuban's arbitration position. Maybe it is true, and if so, it would make Cuban a sore, petty loser, but I'm not about to take Nellie and his lawyer's word for it.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 11:01 AM
What would you have me do to express sufficient disapproval?
I wouldn't "have you" do anything. It's okay that you are a Cuban-sucking monkey boy. You just have to deal with the accusations that it's what you are.

I mean, it's obviously not sufficient to say "I think he's wrong in this instance." You have to apparently make some sort of deeper gesture to meet with Obstucted View's approval.
Since you did NOT in fact say "I think he's wrong" but instead said "some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable", I guess we'll never know.

Am I impartial? No, I tend to be happy about his financial commitment to fielding a winning team. But I'm not blind either. I can recognize when he's doing something wrong.
Nor should you be impartial. There were a lot of things wrong with the Mavericks that Mark Cuban fixed. He literally took the players that were here and turned them into a winning team just by his enthusiasm and willingness to spend a little bit of money in the right places. They became a group capable of going deep into the playoffs year after year under his leadership, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Not as much as he has gotten, in my opinion, but he does deserve credit.

That said, I don't recall the last time you recognized when he did something wrong. I'm not even sure that banning the bloggers is "wrong". It's certainly his right to do it regardless, but it's hypocritical and petty.

Are you impartial? No, you're not fucking close. And you are blind if you think he ultimately represents something bad or evil in professional sports.
I'm definitely not impartial. I don't like many of the changes in the Mavericks after he arrived, primarily the culture of whining and blaming someone for anything that happens, and his seeming inability to ever be wrong. I don't recall ever having said that he was evil, but if I did I'll retract it now and apologize.

Findog
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't "have you" do anything. It's okay that you are a Cuban-sucking monkey boy. You just have to deal with the accusations that it's what you are.

So, in other words, I just have to deal with OV having a pole up his ass. I can do that. Thanks for the clarification.

Since you did NOT in fact say "I think he's wrong" but instead said "some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable", I guess we'll never know.

Okay, I think he's wrong to ban bloggers from the locker room. Sorry if "some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable" somehow led you to believe that I'm a Cuban-sucking monkey boy.

That said, I don't recall the last time you recognized when he did something wrong. I'm not even sure that banning the bloggers is "wrong". It's certainly his right to do it regardless, but it's hypocritical and petty.

So this is just an opportunity for you to pile on and reiterate your low opinion of Mark Cuban, which has been made abundantly clear many times over. Gotcha.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe it is true, and if so, it would make Cuban a sore, petty loser, but I'm not about to take Nellie and his lawyer's word for it.
Since Eddie Sefko and the Dallas Morning News didn't get sued for reporting it and quoting Mark Cuban in the article, it's hard to see how it's inaccurate. I'm trying to find a retraction or something somewhere, and can't find it.

Mark Cuban is a good basketball owner, who is looking out for his team and tries to give the fans as much as he can for their money. That said, he IS a sore, petty loser, and has a track record to prove it. You see it in the fact that he went to battle over the money with Nellie. Didn't he just pay KVH more money than he owed Nellie? Please don't try to tell me the money meant that much to him. He's got an ego to match his bank account. Probably human nature, but he puts himself out there with his decisions.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
So, in other words, I just have to deal with OV having a pole up his ass. I can do that. Thanks for the clarification.
You can't deal with the fact that anyone has a low opinion of Mark Cuban, which is why you can be counted on to swoop in to defend him whenever his name is mentioned. Sometimes I wonder if your primary reason for sticking around here is to defend his honor.

Okay, I think he's wrong to ban bloggers from the locker room. Sorry if "some of the ways in which he conducts the Mavericks are not admirable" somehow led you to believe that I'm a Cuban-sucking monkey boy.
I think he's wrong, too, even though I think he's within his rights to do it, particularly if the blogger in question isn't doing anything other than trying to tear the team down. His responsibility is to the players in the locker room and the fans who pay money, not to the freedom of the press.

Believe me, you were a Cuban-sucking monkey boy LONG before the "not admirable" quote. Sorry if I failed to make that clear. :spin

So this is just an opportunity for you to pile on and reiterate your low opinion of Mark Cuban, which has been made abundantly clear many times over. Gotcha.
Yeah, I keep going out and digging up all these hit pieces on the things Mark Cuban does. That's also why I start all the threads.

My resentment of Mark Cuban started with the undeserved credit he received for the development of the team. That horse is long dead, as the current team is very much of his making. My current opinion of him is a result of the things that he does and says, on and off the court. I know the record of the Mavericks eclipses anything else in your world, and allows you to forgive anything he does. I'm not sure why you feel you have to be in what looks like lock step with his questionable decisions in order to be considered a good Mavericks fan. Maybe you actually agree with all of them, but your track record shows you to be smart enough to know better.

I hope I don't find out someday that you are actually Mark Cuban hanging out on this website. Have you ever said anything about the Riverwalk? :)

Findog
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Since Eddie Sefko and the Dallas Morning News didn't get sued for reporting it and quoting Mark Cuban in the article, it's hard to see how it's inaccurate. I'm trying to find a retraction or something somewhere, and can't find it.

I don't see how he could sue them for libel and slander when they were simply reporting what Nellie's lawyer said. They weren't reporting it as iron-clad fact, it was just the bloggers and messageboards that ran with it as such. Maybe it's true, but if Obstructed View ever gets sued, I'll be sure to go solely on what the other party's lawyer says and not wait for the legal proceedings to run its course.

Mark Cuban is a good basketball owner, who is looking out for his team and tries to give the fans as much as he can for their money. That said, he IS a sore, petty loser, and has a track record to prove it. You see it in the fact that he went to battle over the money with Nellie. Didn't he just pay KVH more money than he owed Nellie? Please don't try to tell me the money meant that much to him. He's got an ego to match his bank account. Probably human nature, but he puts himself out there with his decisions

Cuban's actions against Nellie lend himself to the charges of being petty and small. That said, if your coach quit on you and continued to give less than 100% effort while still drawing a paycheck, at at a time when your expectations were to win a title or come close, would you be big enough and strong enough to not get upset when that coach insisted you pay him all deferred compensation after he had just finished half a season not doing his job? It seems to me that the arbitration is to settle out their competing legal and financial grievances against one another. Cuban inherited all assets and liabilities when he bought the team, and he needs to put aside his personal distaste for Nellie and uphold his obligations, but don't feed me this poor Nellie crap.

Findog
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
You can't deal with the fact that anyone has a low opinion of Mark Cuban,

I don't care if Spurs fans hate the guy because he talks trash about the Riverwalk or does the Andy Kauffman routine and plays the role of a heel. That's part of a rivalry. I wouldn't expects Spurs fans or anyone else to sing hosannahs about him. What I can't deal with is inaccurate criticism, like "Cuban sued Nellie for using inside information," when there is no evidence that he did any such thing, unless you don't believe in the legal process and think Nellie's lawyer speaks the gospel. It's the same thing with people labeling Dirk a soft pussy choker. I don't care if opposing fans don't like Dirk, that's part of being a fan. What I can't deal with is when people put that label on him and cherrypick his failures without ever acknowledging his successes. No, he doesn't have the killer instinct of a Bird, Jordan or Magic. But it's especially galling to hear from Spurs fans that's he's 100% not clutch and has NEVER come through for his team when they needed him.

Sometimes I wonder if your primary reason for sticking around here is to defend his honor.

No, my primary reason to be here is to talk hoops, and if my team is attacked unfairly, then to defend it within reason. You would do the same thing.

I know the record of the Mavericks eclipses anything else in your world, and allows you to forgive anything he does.

And you wonder why I get irritated when you make blanket statements like this.

I'm not sure why you feel you have to be in what looks like lock step with his questionable decisions in order to be considered a good Mavericks fan.

And how am I in lockstep? Have you ever considered that on a Spurs board, I might be encountering statements that are factually inaccurate? And that against better judgment of leaving my keyboard alone, I might feel compelled to correct the record as best as I see it?

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't care if Spurs fans hate the guy because he talks trash about the Riverwalk or does the Andy Kauffman routine and plays the role of a heel
When you paint his having said something stupid like it's somehow really clever and calculating, even though he has a track record of being neither, be prepared to draw a rolling of eyes.

What I can't deal with is inaccurate criticism, like "Cuban sued Nellie for using inside information," when there is no evidence that he did any such thing, unless you don't believe in the legal process and think Nellie's lawyer speaks the gospel.
It wasn't a suit, it was a counterclaim in arbitration. The Dallas Morning News reported it, and the complete lack of any denial from Cuban is kind of damning. It has nothing to do with my belief in the legal process. :rolleyes

It's the same thing with people labeling Dirk a soft pussy choker. I don't care if opposing fans don't like Dirk, that's part of being a fan. What I can't deal with is when people put that label on him and cherrypick his failures without ever acknowledging his successes. No, he doesn't have the killer instinct of a Bird, Jordan or Magic. But it's especially galling to hear from Spurs fans that's he's 100% not clutch and has NEVER come through for his team when they needed him.
Yeah, that's stupid. Dirk's hugely underrated. Since those charges rarely come from fans with any kind of basketball knowledge, it's pretty much not worth the time to argue.

No, my primary reason to be here is to talk hoops, and if my team is attacked unfairly, then to defend it within reason. You would do the same thing.
Okay. Peter Holt was having a reaction to prescription medication, and the newspapers were out to get him. Happy?

Gotta go meet someone for lunch. We'll continue this later.

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Did someone really say Jennifer Engle is okay on the radio?

Findog
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Yes. I would say Jennifer Floyd Engle is okay in a concentration camp, but other than that....

G-Nob
03-11-2008, 12:42 PM

I don't think "JCE" is that bad.