This guy is good

Play tough and hit a lot of Js :smokin

Elson for Thomas = Huge steal

ducks
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
spurs stole him just ask boston

spursfan09
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree. He hit a big shot at the end I thought and it showed me he's definitly not scared. But then again I always knew that about Kurt. I'm really excited to see him in the playoffs.

T Park
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I officially have a mancrush on Kurt Thomas.

WalterBenitez
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I am glad to see him making those shots we need in 4th

Dex
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, if Elson had done what Kurt Thomas did tonight, this board would be going into downright conniptions.

Easily one of the better trades the Spurs have ever pulled off, especially once Bones is back in the fold.

Kori Ellis
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Very good trade :tu Hitting that mid-range J is something that most players in the league can't do consistently. It's a huge asset. He seems to be starting to get comfortable. Hopefully he keeps knocking them down. And hopefully he starts pounding the glass even more too.

duncan228
He's just what we needed.

Supreme_Being
I have a crush on TPark.

Shaolin-Style
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I love the midrange offense he can pack, especially when it was in the clutch.

mVp
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Kurt is clutch! :smokin

MannyIsGod
03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
He's excellent in pick and roll situations with Parker and Manu. I have a feeling he'll do equally as well with Brenty Barry. You can't say enough about his low block defense and rebounding.

Radiosparks
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
He's coming along and starting to feel comfortable. He will be HUGE come playoff time.

ducks
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
he is as close as to david robinson that has played since he did

Fabbs
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
At 7' i wished Frankie Elson could have gotten it together with the Spurs but KT is solid and consistent.

Also had what should have been called a pivotal charge taken and O foul rung up on Amare Stoudamire down the stretch vs Phoenix.

ShoogarBear
03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
he is as close as to david robinson that has played since he didwrong pretty sure meaning not know exactly correct though yes

ChuckD
03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I weep to think of him here in 2004 to bump Shaq' fat ass and in 2006 to provide some rebounding against the Mavs. We almost had him, too. Isaiah couldn't get his dick out of his pants quick enough.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-10-2008, 10:35 PM
The manu/thomas combo is a match made in heaven - i expect teams to adjust to this going forward

Holt's Cat
03-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Great !@#$ing trade.

remingtonbo2001
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
He has such a high B-ball IQ, plays solid defense and is capable of knocking down a jumper.

What more could you ask for?

Spurologist
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Kurt Thomas is deadly on the pick and rolls with penetrators like tp/manu. He will constantly get wide open jump shots from 13-17 feet. He's DEADLY from that range as it showed tonight with the backbreaker for nuggets at the top of the key. That's a definate upgrade from Cisco shooting ability and everything else for that matter.

He hustled for boards. Protected the paint. I loved the hard foul on Najera. Najera was practically useless from then on. His skillset matches what we need. Great pickup

slayermin
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I liked that hard foul he put on Najera tonight.

CubanSucks
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Wasn't able to see tonights game but did anyone else notice him last game giving the suns bench a long look after he hit one of his clutch shots. Just wondered what that was all about. AND did anyone notice how he never waited for help to get up when he was on the ground. I'm starting to like him more and more.

T Park
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
2 or 3 boards is rare for him, but the offense was fantastic.

Sign this guy up for 2 more years, what the hell.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
me too.

it was payback; Najera was pushing a lot on our guys.

td4mvp21
03-10-2008, 10:50 PM
wrong pretty sure meaning not know exactly correct though yes

:lmao :lmao

mVp
03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Wasn't able to see tonights game but did anyone else notice him last game giving the suns bench a long look after he hit one of his clutch shots. Just wondered what that was all about.

Yeah I noticed that too, I think they were yelling at him or something.

TampaDude
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM

KT is old school...when he fouls you, you're gonna feel it...

...the next morning! :lol

T Park
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Kurt Thomas is fucking awesome.

Bruno
03-10-2008, 11:07 PM
We will see what will happen in playoff but I still think that giving up a first round pick for him was a bad idea.

Ice009
03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Kurt Thomas is deadly on the pick and rolls with penetrators like tp/manu. He will constantly get wide open jump shots from 13-17 feet. He's DEADLY from that range as it showed tonight with the backbreaker for nuggets at the top of the key. That's a definate upgrade from Cisco shooting ability and everything else for that matter.

He hustled for boards. Protected the paint. I loved the hard foul on Najera. Najera was practically useless from then on. His skillset matches what we need. Great pickup

I agree wtih most of what you said especially that foul on Najera. To quote myself in the game thread "That's how you fucking foul". Also, like you said I don't remember Najera doing anything after that.

Ice009
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
We will see what will happen in playoff but I still think that giving up a first round pick for him was a bad idea.

From the sounds of it you think it was a bad trade all together? Forget about the first round pick for a second - Are you saying that Kurt doesn't fit or won't help us this season? Would you rather have Elson right now?

Tigole Bitties
03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
From the sounds of it you think it was a bad trade all together? Forget about the first round pick for a second - Are you saying that Kurt doesn't fit or won't help us this season? Would you rather have Elson right now?

Kurt Thomas >>>> a shitty first round pick in the high 20s + Francisco "Don't Call Me Nazr" Elson

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Who is Elson?

Bruno
03-10-2008, 11:20 PM

I have no reason to forget the first round pick because it is a part of the trade.

I think that Thomas will help us this season and he is an upgrade over Elson. However, I don't think this upgrade was big enough to give up a first round pick.

Spurologist
03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I have no reason to forget the first round pick because it is a part of the trade.

I think that Thomas will help us this season and he is an upgrade over Elson. However, I don't think this upgrade was big enough to give up a first round pick.

I'm not sure about the first round pick either but time will tell.

ducks
03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
if thomas helps give the spurs a title is the trade with it?

T Park
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM

:lmao

Quoting comic book guy.

Worst.
Post.
Ever.

castcrocs
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Hugh upgrade over Elson, + getting Berry Back ( keeping off the others rosters).

Bruno
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM

Quoting comic book guy.

Worst.
Post.
Ever.

:rolleyes

MannyIsGod
03-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Quoting comic book guy.

Worst.
Post.
Ever.Why?

Indazone
03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Needs to play more minutes and next to Duncan at the same time.

Mr. Body
03-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah, still not a fan of coughing up that first.

Duncanoypi
03-11-2008, 01:24 AM
yeah! as if we're playing our first round pick a hell of a minutes...and spurs sucks in draft day these past few years!

SenorSpur
03-11-2008, 01:30 AM

Leave it to KT to administer the first "hard foul" by any Spur player this season. He's proving what most of us long-timer NBA viewers have always known - that he is an enforcer and a very solid NBA player.

Ice009
03-11-2008, 01:57 AM

OK fair enough, so you're saying you'd rather have Elson and that first round pick.

No way would I rather have Elson than KT right now though so we didn't really have any choice. He'd be in Orlando or somewhere else if we didn't throw in that first rounder. From what I read Orlando had a better offer on the table.

Indazone
03-11-2008, 02:20 AM
I really think that if Pop put KT and Duncan out there at the same time like Robinson and Duncan and run the double high post offense the Spurs would be extremely dangerous. Either KT or Duncan could set up the offense with their passing leaving Ginobili and Parker to do their thing. You could run the pick and roll on either side...I mean dayum. Leave a 3 pt shooter out there on the perimeter the same way Kerr used to do. Be very tough to stop.

Pop needs to go deep into his bench and play some of the other guys more minutes and give the starters some more breathers so they can play at a high energy level.
Spurs are the only other team besides the Rockets that have the ability to go as deep into their bench without losing a beat.

to21
03-11-2008, 07:52 AM
KT helping this team contend for a title TODAY >>>>>>>> some late first rounder who gets to ride the pine for three years learning the "system".

VaSpursFan
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
KT has been a blessing. he brings the intangibles that we need, namely toughness. sometimes our boys are too corporate. KT laying the lumber on Najera who was doing the same to our players was fantastic. he essentially pimp slapped their enforcer/energy and sort of rendered him useless going forward. good stuff right there.

SAGambler
03-11-2008, 08:39 AM

We finally have an enforcer. And one that is good enough to start. That was beautiful the way he put Najera on his ass after Eduardo started getting pretty rough out there.

Get the felling Thomas ain't a guy you wanna fuck with very much...

SpurAddict561
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
He's playing good ball, and we haven't seen the best of him AT ALL yet.

He's still trying to work his way into the defensive scheme, that shit Shaq was doing won't fly come playoff time with KT.

I've hated this guy since he gave Timmy all that trouble with the Suns, but I'm happy as hell to have him with us now..I know what he is capable of.

yavozerb
03-11-2008, 08:42 AM

I was not a fan of it either, but come 2009 there just are not going to be many open roster spots on the team anyways after this summer..They could possibly have splitter,mahinmi,2008 1st rd pick all under contracts next year (does not include possible sanikidze), I cannot imagine pop with anymore young players than this for a while.

ManuTastic
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
KT is the best move SA has made in a long long time. I knew he was going to help, but I didn't know he led the country in scoring in college! Feels nice to finally have a quality player in the paint with Duncan. Sorry Ra-slow.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-11-2008, 08:54 AM
There was a play where Ime layed out Iverson, not a hard foul or anything but a nice play nontheless. Ime is also very physical so it is nice to have two enforcers.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 09:03 AM
A first round pick in a draft that's not looking to be terribly deep was never going to be anything other than a trade asset for the Spurs, who have plenty of veterans, plenty of players waiting in the wings (Mahinmi, Splitter) and don't want to be saddled with a guaranteed contract for someone that's either going to take up a roster spot or spend the whole year in the D league. Elson wasn't going to help this team and was going to leave for nothing after this year. Being able to get someone that can play a position of need against a deep, big western conference and give this team the only chance it had to compete for a title this year was worth that pick, particularly since Barry's coming back so it didn't cost the Spurs anything else. This trade ranks right up there with some of the best the Spurs have ever made.

thebigchill
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Stay away from my man! :ihit

katyon6th
03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I have a close friend who's a huge New York Knicks fan and he mentioned when the Spurs were talking about picking up Thomas that he'd be a great pick up. He was right.

E20
03-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I like his stroke, the way he releases the ball and his follow through, like he's doing some sort of magic spell, then after he makes the shot I love how he jiggles hisself down the court with his lips bouncing up and down. KT looks like his Mom died with th expression on his face. KT is fucking solid.

hater
03-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I can't beleive it but he is as good or better than Detroit's McDyess. Mcdyess is so valuable in playoffs especially. I have been wanting a Mcdyess type player for Spurs for years.

I am thrilled

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Wait until the Spurs really learn to exploit that pick and pop with KT and Manu or Tony. With Timmy not having to wait for a double team his post game will open up and there will be shooters and slashers open all day long.

As bad as it looks now, the offense has a chance to get really really good over the next few weeks.

urunobili
03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
He's coming along and starting to feel comfortable. He will be HUGE come playoff time.
:tu

bigfan
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I can't beleive it but he is as good or better than Detroit's McDyess. Mcdyess is so valuable in playoffs especially. I have been wanting a Mcdyess type player for Spurs for years.

I am thrilled

Thats true, KT and McDyess seem to play the game about the same (hell, they even look alike!)

T Park
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
For the people that are somehow still down on this trade lets think about this.

First round pick, VERY late in the first round, and a 5th string center, OR, you get a darn good center who can rebound, score, defend, and be a bilateral BAD ASS on both sides of the court.

Once again, giving up a potential Beno Udrih and Elson, for a Kurt Thomas is a FANTASTIC move.

Nothing less.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Considering the Spurs usually give away first round picks for nothing I'd say this trade was very good.

rAm
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I really think that if Pop put KT and Duncan out there at the same time like Robinson and Duncan and run the double high post offense the Spurs would be extremely dangerous. Either KT or Duncan could set up the offense with their passing leaving Ginobili and Parker to do their thing. You could run the pick and roll on either side...I mean dayum. Leave a 3 pt shooter out there on the perimeter the same way Kerr used to do. Be very tough to stop.

Pop needs to go deep into his bench and play some of the other guys more minutes and give the starters some more breathers so they can play at a high energy level.
Spurs are the only other team besides the Rockets that have the ability to go as deep into their bench without losing a beat.

I like this idea, especially against some of the bigger teams. What does everyone else think?

rascal
03-11-2008, 11:34 AM

I knew you were gay.

Indazone
03-11-2008, 11:40 AM
When do you think pop will put Duncan and Thomas on the court together for significant minutes? It's time!!

That would be really fun to watch btw.

rascal
03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
It was a good trade because Elson was so bad and the spurs needed another capable big but no where is it as good as the Gasol trade.

It won't be a huge difference maker like the Gasol trade. Thomas is more of role player type of player .

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
It was a good trade because Elson was so bad and the spurs needed another capable big but no where is it as good as the Gasol trade.
For each team and their immediate need, it was absolutely as good for the Spurs as the Gasol trade was for the Lakers. The final decision on the Gasol trade won't be made for a couple of years until the picks are made and the players evaluated.

T Park
03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I knew you were gay.

We all knew you were touched in the head as well.

cly2tw
03-12-2008, 05:01 AM
It's an ingenious move for you guys! Against my Suns he'd give Shaq and Amare 6 hard fouls and draws Shaq out of the paint with his jumpers. Also, he will neutralize whoever you put him on on the Lakers.

As a sidenote, I thought for sure he would have come back to Suns had he been waived instead of traded to you guys. Damn it! :bang

Obstructed_View
03-12-2008, 01:16 PM
He didn't seem too happy with Phoenix on Sunday.