PDA

View Full Version : NBA Ticket: Something wrong with the Spurs broadcast team?

romsho
03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Home or road, doesn't matter...most of the time, the NBA ticket does not use the Spurs broadcast. For those of us who live elsewhere, it's great to be able to see all the games. However, with road announcers as heinous as the hacks who call the game for Denver- it is nothing short of brutal. It just feeds the hate.

TampaDude
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Home or road, doesn't matter...most of the time, the NBA ticket does not use the Spurs broadcast. For those of us who live elsewhere, it's great to be able to see all the games. However, with road announcers as heinous as the hacks who call the game for Denver- it is nothing short of brutal. It just feeds the hate.

Yeah, really...that shit was pissing me off...I had to listen to those fucking McNuggets homers announce a Spurs HOME game...WTF???

Ronaldo McDonald
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I know what you mean, man. Those guys who did the play-calling for Denver were ridiculous.

J_Paco
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM

There were so many calls that they said were wrong, but in fact were correct, and comments like "homer refs" that I felt like throwing the remote at my television. Christ, could a pair of broadcasters be anymore fucking bias?

Dave McNulla
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
i turned the sound off with 7 min left in the fourth. i got soooo tired of them talking about the lexus drive of the game, like they got another coors light every time they said it.

ginobili was moving sideways my ****ing ***.

Shaolin-Style
03-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Elliot and the other guy are homers but at least they admit when something goes the spurs way when it shouldn't even though they want it to.

Glad I don't have to listen to any other announcers. Sean is just top notch, the other guy isn't half bad either, good chemistry too.

Holt's Cat
03-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I thought Scott Hastings was dead.

Radiosparks
03-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I've seen it first hand being away from the area where no matter where the Spurs are playing they seem to have the opposing team homers on.

slayermin
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
My guess would be it's because the Nuggets have more street cred. so all the non-Nuggets/Spurs fans will be rooting for the Nuggets.

I wish the League Pass would give us the option on the broadcast team. It's 2008 for christ sake. And another thing, why the fuk don't we get the HD broadcasts?

duncan228
03-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I've had LP for years and I can't figure out how it's decided which feed they use.
It doesn't seem balanced to me at all. I get way more of the opponent's call than the Spurs.

We've talked about this before on ST, I remember someone saying that if it were the home team's call it would balance out. I like that idea. At least I'd get the Spurs call half the time.

slayermin
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I think it's all about media market and marketability. The Spurs are too nice.

greens
03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, it is annoying how rarely we actually get to hear the Spurs announcers...even at their home games, it is more times the opposing announcers...I don't really get that.

I agree that for each home game, the fans should be able to hear their own announcers. It makes it more equal. Plus, I always really enjoy hearing Sean Elliot's comments. I can't remember the other guy's name but he's pretty good too.

Crookshanks
03-10-2008, 11:07 PM
That's kinda depressing to hear because I'm moving to Dallas this week and I'm going to have to get League Pass in order to watch the games.

I'm REALLY going to miss hearing Sean and Bill, but especially Sean because he's my favorite.

RonMexico
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
It's pretty odd to me, since I've noticed that about 90% of the Suns home games are done by the Suns' broadcast team, with about 75% of the road games being the opponents' broadcast.

I thought it was pretty odd when I realized it was the altitude network for the Spurs game today. This appears to be a trend based on this thread. I can't tell if there is a specific bias or if there is some conflict with local SA stations. I remember 3 years ago, my friend and I watched a Suns-Spurs game in college on League Pass (Nazr had something like 20 boards b/c Kurt Thomas was injured) and that was the Dick Stockton/Sean Elliott team.

SpurAddict561
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
No shit, I pay 150$ a year for this shit and only get to hear Sean like twice a month it seems like it...

mexicanjunior
03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, it's annoying to not be able to get the Spurs broadcast at least 50% of the time, it's more like 70-30 that we get the non Spurs announcers on League Pass...The Denver broadcasters were atrocious. The play where Tony Parker drove in and Kenyon Martin grabbed his arm and pulled him back was called a "good play and should be a jump ball"? WTF!?!?!? Also, when Udoka missed the layup because the backboard was shaking after one of the Nuggets grabbed the rim, that was also called a bad call when the replay CLEARLY showed the backboard shaking all over the place. Those Nuggets announcers were effing horrendous...

ancestron
03-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I can't stand listening to Hubie Brown. I would rather eat the rotten asshole of a road-killed skunk and down it with beer than listen to Hubie Brown go on and on AND ON about shooting a high percentage.
And could Mike Tirico possibly make it any more obvious how much he hates the Spurs?
It is flat out comical listening to them whenever the Spurs are on ESPN.
I'm in San Antonio, so I get Sean and them, and I can only imagine the pain that must be felt having to suffer through another teams BS announcers.

thebigchill
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Even my girlfriend, who wasn't even watching-she was studying-told those nuggets homers to shut the f up multiple times. It's crazy the crap they gotta feed their fans to keep them interested.

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 09:32 AM
It's leaguewide, and like David Stern joked about, it comes directly from ownership. Here in Dallas, Bob Ortegel got demoted from TV to radio for not being enough of a homer. Brad Davis follows the company line that any whistle against a Maverick is a bad call. It's the "ban the blogger" mentality, and people that want to keep their jobs fall in line or suffer the consequences. Cuban's certainly not the only one doing it, and Brad Davis is probably not even in the top 15 in most homeristic commentators. When arena announcers lose their job for not bulding up the home team enough, you know it's important to someone.

urunobili
03-11-2008, 09:33 AM
because of this i have learned to hate many announcers that may be really good but all time homers like the likes of GSW, DEN, NYC etc... just unbearable some times... good thread... we should find out some sort of logic... as i use a slingbox in PHX to see my games.. the delay is similar from the spurs radio with Schoening so i may start muting the video feed and get the audio from there

Obstructed_View
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure why they couldn't just offer the other team's audio on the SAP channel. It's sitting there not being used many times. I guess the San Antonio games are using it for the Spanish feed, right?

Crookshanks
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
So, can anybody find out the reasoning behind which announcers are used? Maybe then we can find the right people to hassle so that we can hear the home team announcers on every home game.

I'm sure fans of other teams feel the same way - if it's a home game for Phoenix, Dallas or whoever, their fans want to hear the home team announcers - not Sean and Bill.

batboy
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I can't tell if there is a specific bias or if there is some conflict with local SA stations.

I think you are probably on to something there, well your second point. I highly doubt the NBA cares enough about a "bias" to manipulate who covers what game on LP and NBAN. Like everything in life, it is probably a legal issue much of the time. They probably just have a better contract with Altitude and (sorry can't remember the name of the one the Suns games are on a lot of the time, only that it's "Sunny" :P).

doldrums
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Denver announcers were horrible almost as bad as boston's tommy Heinsohn and Phoenix's Eddie Johnson. I will tell you this on the flipside, the most unbiased announcers are for the Knicks (ya gotta love Walt "clyde " Frazier), the Nets Marv Albert and the LA Clippers broadcast team(damn their Mike smith even proclaimed that Manu is his favorite player to watch).Also kudos to the announcers from Indiana, Miami, chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota and Portland -very fair and intelligent.

romsho
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
League Pass must have some type of production issues with the Spurs...I would say they use them probably one in every four game telecasts involving the Spurs. Usually it is a minor inconvenience, but the Denver guys were just over the top unlistenable. I will admit it doesn't help that the two players in the league I would most like to see get their face smashed in with an elbow, Kenyon Martin and Eduardo Najera, play for that team. Defending those two hacks on air for eighty two games a year must be a next to impossible task.

Dre_7
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I can't stand listening to Hubie Brown. I would rather eat the rotten asshole of a road-killed skunk and down it with beer than listen to Hubie Brown go on and on AND ON about shooting a high percentage.

Well since it has to do with listening, you probably should have said you rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in your ear. :)

batboy
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Also kudos to the announcers from Indiana, Miami, chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota and Portland -very fair and intelligent.

Portland? Really? I don't have a good enough baseline myself, but people complain about them all the time here, especially Laker fans.

easjer
03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
The fair thing to do would be go with the hometeam broadcast. Sure, there are some teams with more national games (Spurs are among them right now) and so we'd get more national broadcasts, but it would even up the disparity and make me more grateful for LP.

Though it is sometimes fun to hear the other announcers - there are some other teams I like out there. It's just especially annoying when you are at home listening to their broadcast, because you have to listen to more bitching about officiating (since the home team generally gets more calls).

ploto
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Try being a Raptors fan- we average maybe one a month that is the Raptors coverage. I have come to appreciate some of the announcers, though, and hate to tell you- but Sean and Bill are in the top echelon of homers.

batboy
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Try being a Raptors fan- we average maybe one a month that is the Raptors coverage. I have come to appreciate some of the announcers, though, and hate to tell you- but Sean and Bill are in the top echelon of homers.

You have to admit though, Sean has a great sense of humor and is well aware of his homerism.

It's all in good fun.

ploto
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I will tell you this on the flipside, the most unbiased announcers are for the Knicks (ya gotta love Walt "clyde " Frazier), the Nets Marv Albert and the LA Clippers broadcast team(damn their Mike smith even proclaimed that Manu is his favorite player to watch).Also kudos to the announcers from Indiana, Miami, chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota and Portland -very fair and intelligent.
I love how Frazier mispronounces all their names. Nothing like listening to an entire game of him attempting to say Bargnani. :lol

I like hearing Joel again when he does Lakers games, too. I think he is much better than Land.

The Sacramento announcers are actually growing on me (they seem to get alot of their coverage on LP) and I really liked the Bobcats last season when they used the female color commentator- I feel awful that I can not remember her name.

I agree on the Minnesota guys, too.

T Park
03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
but Sean and Bill are in the top echelon of homers.

afraid to tell you, but couldn't care less what an asshole like you thinks.

baseline bum
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
My favorite crews are Golden State's, Seattle's (love hearing Snapper Jones again), New York's, New Jersey's, and the Clippers'. Joel Myers is OK in LA, since he complains about fouls a lot less than he did when he called the Spurs games. Plus, he doesn't say pardner every two seconds or start groping his color guy's arm the whole game anymore.

T Park
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
My favorite crews are Golden State's, Seattle's (love hearing Snapper Jones again), New York's, New Jersey's, and the Clippers'. Joel Myers is OK in LA, since he complains about fouls a lot less than he did when he called the Spurs games. Plus, he doesn't say pardner every two seconds or start groping his color guy's arm the whole game anymore.

Yeah Golden State's are fantastic.

I like Portland's as well. They can be a tad homerish, but the play by play guy is really good.

I can't stand the Miami guys nor the Phoenix guys.

TampaDude
03-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Lovin' this thread... :lol

easjer
03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't care about a home broadcast team being homers. That's their job, you know? What I hate (and incidentally, this is not something I've noticed Sean and Bill doing) is when they bash the other team incessantly and bitch overly much about the officiating (when it was the right call and replay shows that - it's ok to bitch when you get fucked on a bad call or no call, imo).

I don't mind people appreciating or being enthusiastic about their team - they should be. Nor do they have to fellate the Spurs to be considered a good team in my book - they just need to not be rude about the other team and officiating.

T Park
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Pretty much my feelings exactly easjer.

Great post :tu

cnyc3
03-11-2008, 07:07 PM

chuck swirsky is a much bigger homer Sean