PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Tired Ginobili turns attention to assists

carina_gino20
03-11-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031108.spursnotebook.en.3ec725f.html

Spurs Notebook: Tired Ginobili turns attention to assists

Web Posted: 03/11/2008 12:30 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

When Manu Ginobili arrived at the AT&T Center on Monday to prepare for the Spurs' fourth game in five nights, his mind told him how important the game was.

His body told him how little energy he had left after playing 32 minutes against the Phoenix Suns on Sunday.

Before tipoff against the Denver Nuggets, the Spurs' top scorer this season determined that he had to minimize his own offense and become a set-up man for his teammates.

The result: A career-high 14 assists to go with 13 points, 10 of which were scored in the second half of the Spurs' 107-103 victory.

"I knew I was not going to have a great game offensively," Ginobili said. "I just didn't have the energy. I just tried to draw attention and kick it."

His plan worked to perfection in the first quarter. He had assists on seven of the Spurs' first nine baskets. By quarter's end, he had eight assists.

"The thing is, everything went good with the passes," he said. "I got a couple lucky ones that really helped me, and my teammates made the shots. That always helps."

Ginobili was right about his lack of energy. It showed in four misses in his five first-half shots. He opened the second half with a 3-point make but missed three other attempts from long range.

A drive to the basket that resulted in his 14th assist — a drop pass for Tim Duncan that produced a dunk and a tie game with 4:15 remaining — also left Ginobili with a knot in his right thigh. He limped off the court, then went to a back hallway to stretch to loosen up bruised muscles. He returned with 1:32 left.

After the game, he said the injury was not serious.

"The thigh is good," he said. "One of the many you get all season long. It was higher (on the thigh), and when you get hit like that, it really hurts the first five minutes to 10 minutes. Then it kind of starts loosening up. You stretch a little bit, and it's fine."
Air Bonner: Matt Bonner had played only 31 minutes in the previous five Spurs games, but he was the first big man off the bench Monday.

He responded with 10 points in 14:45 and made a 3-pointer with 1:35 left in the third period that capped a critical 12-2 run that turned a seven-point deficit into a three-point lead.

Bonner's two-handed dunk, off a drive from the top of the key, was most memorable. Even Duncan was impressed.

"He made a great move, a great move," Duncan said. "He's been working really hard, and he's playing with confidence. It was just a great move."

Nuggets coach George Karl was moved to call an immediate time out after the drive and dunk, obviously upset that none of the Nuggets had stepped over to impede Bonner's path.

Bonner joked that perhaps he will be invited to next year's All-Star Weekend dunk contest.

"I've got two dunks: One hand and two hands," he said. "I don't know if that is going to cut it."

Princess Pimp
03-11-2008, 01:06 AM
excuses

SenorSpur
03-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Bonner accentuated the dunk by hanging on the rim. Next he's gonna participate in off-season streetball competition with Skip-to-my-Lou.

J_Paco
03-11-2008, 01:13 AM
excuses :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

You do realize that they still won, right?

WalterBenitez
03-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Finally I see a spurs' dunk!

George Gervin's Afro
03-11-2008, 07:02 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031108.spursnotebook.en.3ec725f.html

Spurs Notebook: Tired Ginobili turns attention to assists

Web Posted: 03/11/2008 12:30 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

When Manu Ginobili arrived at the AT&T Center on Monday to prepare for the Spurs' fourth game in five nights, his mind told him how important the game was.

His body told him how little energy he had left after playing 32 minutes against the Phoenix Suns on Sunday.

Before tipoff against the Denver Nuggets, the Spurs' top scorer this season determined that he had to minimize his own offense and become a set-up man for his teammates.

The result: A career-high 14 assists to go with 13 points, 10 of which were scored in the second half of the Spurs' 107-103 victory.

"I knew I was not going to have a great game offensively," Ginobili said. "I just didn't have the energy. I just tried to draw attention and kick it."

His plan worked to perfection in the first quarter. He had assists on seven of the Spurs' first nine baskets. By quarter's end, he had eight assists.

"The thing is, everything went good with the passes," he said. "I got a couple lucky ones that really helped me, and my teammates made the shots. That always helps."

Ginobili was right about his lack of energy. It showed in four misses in his five first-half shots. He opened the second half with a 3-point make but missed three other attempts from long range.

A drive to the basket that resulted in his 14th assist — a drop pass for Tim Duncan that produced a dunk and a tie game with 4:15 remaining — also left Ginobili with a knot in his right thigh. He limped off the court, then went to a back hallway to stretch to loosen up bruised muscles. He returned with 1:32 left.

After the game, he said the injury was not serious.

"The thigh is good," he said. "One of the many you get all season long. It was higher (on the thigh), and when you get hit like that, it really hurts the first five minutes to 10 minutes. Then it kind of starts loosening up. You stretch a little bit, and it's fine."
Air Bonner: Matt Bonner had played only 31 minutes in the previous five Spurs games, but he was the first big man off the bench Monday.

He responded with 10 points in 14:45 and made a 3-pointer with 1:35 left in the third period that capped a critical 12-2 run that turned a seven-point deficit into a three-point lead.

Bonner's two-handed dunk, off a drive from the top of the key, was most memorable. Even Duncan was impressed.

"He made a great move, a great move," Duncan said. "He's been working really hard, and he's playing with confidence. It was just a great move."

Nuggets coach George Karl was moved to call an immediate time out after the drive and dunk, obviously upset that none of the Nuggets had stepped over to impede Bonner's path.

Bonner joked that perhaps he will be invited to next year's All-Star Weekend dunk contest.

"I've got two dunks: One hand and two hands," he said. "I don't know if that is going to cut it."

I mentioned a couple of times lats night that we look tired... We gutted the win out but I didn't know if we were going to have enough to win the game... The Phili game this saturday really concerns me because that is a 4th game in 5 nights also ...

hater
03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
can someone put link to Bonner's dunk?

MoSpur
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Good to see Bonner is starting to see minutes.

honestfool84
03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
excuses

is it possible to sorta ban princess pimp or something?

instead of being funny, its just getting annoying now..

spursrocksocks
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
LOL I want a gif of the red rockets flight