PDA

View Full Version : Do kids still learn cursive in school?

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Just wondering... I was sitting in a long meeting today, and whereas I usually doodle during these meetings I decided to try writing cursive again. It's been almost 20 years since I wrote anything but my signature in cursive.

With computers and all, is this still part of elementary school curriculum?

tlongII
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
My sig is cursive, but I print everything else.

Munchelen
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes they do still require cursive writing, but there is not as much of a demand to know it as before. My 11 yr old fifth grader can barely write in cursive.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
don't know, but i know ebonics is thriving.

Shelly
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
They learn it, but neither of my kids write in cursive.

I write in half print half cursive.

Munchelen
and the taks test....

baseline bum
Of course. Damn. Fuck. Shit. Bitch. Cunt. Monkey-Fuck. Cocksucker Motherfucker... these are all cursive words I learned in school.

leemajors
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
i think they focus more on keyboarding these days.

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
My cursive looks like I'm writing with the wrong hand in a language I don't speak, with Parkinson's.

Extra Stout
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
i think they focus more on waterboarding these days.

peewee's lovechild
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
No, they don't.

That was one of the first things I noticed when I first started teaching in Middle School. The kids don't know anything about cursive and they hardly know how to write in print.

It's pathetic.

But, the elementary teachers choose not to teach it because they have to teach the TAKS.

mrsmaalox
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
My kids have been taught it but it's not required to use it. They do emphasize keyboarding alot. An occupational therapist friend of mine (she teaches writing to rehab patients) says the reason they aren't using it anymore is because teachers don't have time to watch EVERY kid make EVERY stroke correctly, so the writing all turns out looking like chicken scratch anyway, so why not just let them print?

peewee's lovechild
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
My kids have been taught it but it's not required to use it. They do emphasize keyboarding alot. An occupational therapist friend of mine says the reason they aren't using it anymore is because teachers don't have time to watch EVERY kid make EVERY stroke correctly, so the writing all turns out looking like chicken scratch anyway, so why not just let them print?

If teachers would be allowed to do some actual teaching, there would be plenty of time for that.

mrsmaalox
03-11-2008, 01:11 PM
If teachers would be allowed to do some actual teaching, there would be plenty of time for that.

Can't argue with that.

E20
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I learned cursive in grade school. For the most part I always write in cursive.

ATRAIN
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
what the fuck is cursive??

Extra Stout
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
As a rule of thumb, men are supposed to write in small caps. That is, unless you are studying to be a doctor, in which case use illegible chicken scratch that looks kind of like Arabic.

SpursWoman
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
My son (5th grader) has been doing his practice assignments for it ... so I'm assuming they do, at least in Judson ISD. :fro

Solid D
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Just curious Spurminator, have you sent any thank you notes, Christmas cards with personal notes, etc. over the past 20 years?

I print fairly fast, but it does not exceed the speed of writing in cursive...so I'm just curious. Given... I think people these days tend to use thumbs & fingers for keyboard or smartphone for most of their written communication.

FromWayDowntown
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I haven't used cursive in many years -- since high school at least, and even then I printed most papers. I recently had an occasion to write something in cursive (other than my signature) and found that I couldn't actually remember how to make some of the letters.

Das Texan
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
i remember cursive.

i dont use it anymore. i hated those nuns for making me learn that.

SpursWoman
03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I write in cursive all of the time.

Shelly
03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Nobody on my side of my immediate family writes in cursive. Like I said, my writing is a mixture, but if I actually want someone to be able to read what I wrote, I print. :lol If you look up chicken scratch in the dictionary, there's a picture of my mom's print next to it.

My husband writes in cursive mostly, but I have a hard time reading it. I wish son #2 wrote in cursive as it's neater than his printing.

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Just curious Spurminator, have you sent any thank you notes, Christmas cards with personal notes, etc. over the past 20 years?

I print fairly fast, but it does not exceed the speed of writing in cursive...so I'm just curious. Given... I think people these days tend to use thumbs & fingers for keyboard or smartphone for most of their written communication.

Yeah, but I always print... When I have to write a lot, and fast, I have sort of developed a print/cursive hybrid where my printed letters connect in some cases, but it's not the cursive I learned in 3rd grade.

Shelly
03-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah, but I always print... When I have to write a lot, and fast, I have sort of developed a print/cursive hybrid where my printed letters connect in some cases, but it's not the cursive I learned in 3rd grade.

That's exactly how my cursive is!

Borosai
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I started writing in cursive when I was about 8 (2nd grade). On the first day of class in 3rd grade, I wrote an assignment in cursive, which the teacher threw away because she only wanted print (you can imagine what effect that had on me - I still haven't recovered). :lol Anyway, now my handwriting is a mix - some letters flow into each other for smoother writing, and it's legible, so I'm satisfied. However, I do write my sig in cursive.

Hmmm, now I want to start writing in cursive again. Damn.

E20
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
As a rule of thumb, men are supposed to write in small caps. That is, unless you are studying to be a doctor, in which case use illegible chicken scratch that looks kind of like Arabic.
That's me right there. Neurosurgeon. :smokin Probably will never happen, but I'm pretty sure I can get a Master's in Neurobiology.

DarkReign
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I write in cursive all of the time.

Youre a chick. Youre supposed to. Along with making the circle to dot your 'i' and always put the "S" swoop with two parallel, angled lines under the word you want emphasized.

Men write in small caps.

DarkReign
03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
To chime in...

I can write in cursive to this day...its just I nor anyone else can read it with any consistency.

DarkReign
03-11-2008, 03:12 PM
...but I'm pretty sure I can get a Master's in Neurobiology.

...and my faith in medical science just took a tremendous dip.

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I only do small caps for very short notes... otherwise, it's plain uppercase/lowercase print.

SpursWoman
03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Youre a chick. Youre supposed to. Along with making the circle to dot your 'i' and always put the "S" swoop with two parallel, angled lines under the word you want emphasized.

Men write in small caps.

I might add, I'm a 36 year old woman ... I quit drawing hearts/circles to dot my "i" a long time ago :lol

I do actually use a print "s". Don't know why.

E20
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
...and my faith in medical science just took a tremendous dip.
Oh yeah I act like a douche/bozo/idiot on the internet, but in real life I'm actually pretty serious about school and I'm also prety boring.

DarkReign
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah I act like a douche/bozo/idiot on the internet, but in real life I'm actually pretty serious about school and I'm also prety boring.

Bustin your balls. Attain your dreams, period.

SpursWoman
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Men write in small caps.

And I don't know what in the world my SO writes in ... but I don't think it's English. :spin

katyon6th
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Men write in small caps.

Only girls wearing pig tails in grade school should be dotting their "i's" with a circle. It's unacceptable, otherwise.

Apparently you can tell a lot by a person's handwriting.

I found this website that is pretty interesting, http://www.handwritinganalysisinc.com/. (Maybe not that interesting since you have to pay for an analysis.)

DarkReign
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I might add, I'm a 36 year old woman ... I quit drawing hearts/circles to dot my "i" a long time ago :lol

I do actually use a print "s". Don't know why.

Hehe...I know, I just used the opportunity to make a stereotypical joke.

Stereotypical in that its completely true...for women under the age of 18 (maybe 25 these days).

CuckingFunt
03-11-2008, 03:40 PM
98% of what I write is in a bastardized cursive/print hybrid that's mostly cursive, but I can still write very neatly (both print and cursive) when I need to.

There are certain letters, however that I've always just refused to write in cursive -- the upper case F, G, P, Q, R, S, and T suck and I won't do 'em. If I need to write in cursive and I encounter any of those letters, they're just a somewhat fancier version of print.

CuckingFunt
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Stereotypical in that its completely true...for women under the age of 18 (maybe 25 these days).Not completely true. I've never (unless intentionally trying to make a joke) dotted my i's with anything other than a dot.

E20
03-11-2008, 03:48 PM
98% of what I write is in a bastardized cursive/print hybrid that's mostly cursive, but I can still write very neatly (both print and cursive) when I need to.

There are certain letters, however that I've always just refused to write in cursive -- the upper case F, G, P, Q, R, S, and T suck and I won't do 'em. If I need to write in cursive and I encounter any of those letters, they're just a somewhat fancier version of print.
I agree with the bolded statment, except R.

katyon6th
03-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Stereotypical in that its completely true...for women under the age of 18 (maybe 25 these days).

Not true. I just turned 24 and I dont think I've ever used circles to dot my i's. Hearts, maybe, but never circles.

baseline bum
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
About the only time I ever use cursive is in writing the unit vectors i=(0,0,1), j=(0,1,0), and k=(0,0,1).

ploto
03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
My child practiced cursive writing starting in second grade, but he goes to Catholic school. He even got handwriting grades in elementary school.

kingsfan
03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Damn times have changed, I always write in cursive and when I was back in school we even had grades for handwriting.
No hearts on the I though. Don't you people ever have to fill out job applications or actually write letters? That's a lost art form.

Spurminator
03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
You fill out job applications in cursive?

kingsfan
03-11-2008, 05:33 PM
You fill out job applications in cursive?I do, but my printing is illegible.

CuckingFunt
03-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Don't you people ever have to fill out job applications or actually write letters? That's a lost art form.

It's been over a decade since I've had to fill out a job application, but I love writing actual letters. I don't do it as often anymore, though, because I hate writing a really good letter and getting a ten word response via email.

Extra Stout
03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Damn times have changed, I always write in cursive and when I was back in school we even had grades for handwriting.
No hearts on the I though. Don't you people ever have to fill out job applications or actually write letters? That's a lost art form.
Job application? For the good jobs, the applications are all electronic.

SpursWoman
03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
The only kind of letters I've had to write in a very long time are notes to my kids' teachers to excuse absences. :fro

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2008, 07:44 PM

They taught him cursive, but not what the language actually means! :lmao

Okay, back down off the red button, I'm not starting a flame war... but when you say things like "For the most part I always" (a blatant contradiction), I have to comment.

E20
03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
They taught him cursive, but not what the language actually means! :lmao

Okay, back down off the red button, I'm not starting a flame war... but when you say things like "For the most part I always" (a blatant contradiction), I have to comment.
LOOK MAN WOULD you just.............. j/k

whatever i fucked up, that's why I'm not an english major.

Fillmoe
03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
lol............................................... .................... my shit got DELETED!

E20
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
lol............................................... .................... my shit got DELETED!
what did yo write?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
LOOK MAN WOULD you just.............. j/k

whatever i fucked up, that's why I'm not an english major.

C'mon, I'm your troll, just get used to it. :lol

"for the most part" = mostly
"always" = always

I'm a scientist, but let me just tell you that expression is important whatever you do.

E20
03-11-2008, 07:54 PM
C'mon, I'm your troll, just get used to it. :lol

"for the most part" = mostly
"always" = always

I'm a scientist, but let me just tell you that expression is important whatever you do.
really? (serous question) what kind

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
really? (serous question) what kind

Ecology. The root word, "ecos", is derived from the Greek word for house, "oikos", symbolizing the interdependence of separate elements functioning in harmony together. Basically, ecology is the study of systems and inter-relationships.

I did undergrad in natural ecology, and now a Masters in Human Ecology, which is about the interaction between humanity and the natural environment, focusing on the way in which human behaviour generates resource consumption, and the consequences of that over short and long timescales.

Human ecology is totally interdisciplinary - you have to be able to get your head around everything from economics, politics and social psychology, to ecology, forestry, chemistry and geology.

Are you studying science or engineering?

E20
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Ecology. The root word, "ecos", is derived from the Greek word for house, "oikos", symbolizing the interdependence of separate elements functioning in harmony together. Basically, ecology is the study of systems and inter-relationships.

I did undergrad in natural ecology, and now a Masters in Human Ecology, which is about the interaction between humanity and the natural environment, focusing on the way in which human behaviour generates resource consumption, and the consequences of that over short and long timescales.

Human ecology is totally interdisciplinary - you have to be able to get your head around everything from economics, politics and social psychology, to ecology, forestry, chemistry and geology.

Are you studying science or engineering?
Science, Neurobiology. So you must ride a bike then.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Science, Neurobiology. So you must ride a bike then.

Good luck with that. Want to be a researcher?

As a consequence of studying human ecology I did change my life in a lot of small ways that have resulted in large changes in my overall consumption. In 18 months, I've reduced my consumption of petrol by 75% and electricity by 60%. On the consumer goods side of things, I never bought much "stuff" anyway, but most of what I do buy is second hand. When it comes to food, I buy locally if possible (from farmer's markets). None of the changes has reduced my standard of living at all. We all waste much more than we think we do.

So yup, I ride a bike most of the time, and I love it - I'm fitter than ever. I still own a (second hand) car, but only use one tank of gas (about 16 gallons) a month at most... February's tank is still not finished.

When my thesis is done, I'm going to start a consultancy teaching people and businesses how to streamline their lives from a human ecological POV. They will save money, and the environment. It's a win win.

/threadjack

E20
03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Good luck with that. Want to be a researcher?
As a consequence of studying human ecology I did change my life in a lot of small ways that have resulted in large changes in my overall consumption. In 18 months, I've reduced my consumption of petrol by 75% and electricity by 60%. On the consumer goods side of things, I never bought much "stuff" anyway, but most of what I do buy is second hand. When it comes to food, I buy locally if possible (from farmer's markets). None of the changes has reduced my standard of living at all. We all waste much more than we think we do.

So yup, I ride a bike most of the time, and I love it - I'm fitter than ever. I still own a (second hand) car, but only use one tank of gas (about 16 gallons) a month at most... February's tank is still not finished.

When my thesis is done, I'm going to start a consultancy teaching people and businesses how to streamline their lives from a human ecological POV. They will save money, and the environment. It's a win win.
I actually wanna be a neurosurgeon, I think the odds of completley going through med school is like equivlalent to the odds of making the NBA, but if that doesn't break through I'll try to get my masters and that will suffice to gain me some other occupation.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Neuroscience and Stallone, what an interesting mix. :lol

As for what happens with your career, I found that things changed drastically when I got to college. At first I wanted to be a chemistry researcher, then I spent 10 hours a week in the lab in first year and hated it, while at the same time I discovered ecology and philosophy. Finished my degree in those, then did a bunch of random things before going back to school. Who knows what will actually happen next?

Fillmoe
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
what did yo write?

some unnamed homo thats always on my dick was talking about the god again.....