PDA

View Full Version : Two key points from this game versus the Hornets

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
In watching this game, the Hornets broadcast team made a couple of key points that are particularly troublesome if you are a Spurs fan.

First, they indicated that when the Spurs resort to a trapping style of defense, it's not as effective because of the advanced age and lack of quickness on the part of most of their defenders. This point was repeated by the same broadcast team in an earlier contest between these two teams earlier this season. It's a salient point because they really do seem to struggle against younger, quicker teams - like the Hornets. Their rotations are late, if they come at all, and they don't seem as quick to rebounds and loose balls. We all know if the Spurs cannot defend the opposition, it doesn't really matter what they do on the offensive end.

Second point. They commented that the Spurs SHOULD NOT be considered one of the best teams in the West - despite having one of the better records in the conference. After turning down my reactionary bullshit alarm, I listened to their reasoning. They following that point with a troubling statistic. The Spurs have lost 12 out of their last 19 games against teams that have an above .500 record. This despite their recent 11-game winning streak. In looking at how they've lost games against better competition (NO, DEN, PHX, BOS), there may be a shred of truth there, too. Also let's also not forget, in the two losses to the Hornets, the Spurs had their "doors blown off" by this team.

As the playoffs draw near, both points do raise some concern about the Spurs ability to handle these teams in a 7-game playoff series. Is is time to wonder if the Spurs advanced age and lack of athleticism are now producing diminished returns?

Capt Bringdown
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Is is time to wonder if the Spurs advanced age and lack of athleticism are now producing diminished returns?

Is it time to wonder who could not have seen this coming this season?

We appear to have past the tipping point. Our record against winning teams is very damning.

Russ
03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
It's a salient point because they really do seem to struggle against younger, quicker teams - like the Hornets.
They always have the last few years. Young teams and hot jump-shooting teams.

Somehow the Spurs regular season struggles with those teams has never hurt them much in the playoffs.

We may be reading a bit too much into these tea leaves.

SouthernFried
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Nothing new here. Ayup, Spurs are slow on rotations...anytime we double there is always a man wide open. Spurs age and, more importantly...nagging injuries, is hampering them a lot.

Every win is hard fought, and it seems just the Spurs Pride and Stubborniness are getting those. We don't blow out anyone. Which prolly concerns me more than anything else. Our point differential has got to be a lot lower than years past.

This is nothing that hasn't been obvious to anyone paying attention. Shouldn't come as a surprise or a "new interesting thought" process here.

Yet...there is that pride and stubborness. We've never been athletic. We've always been old (little older now I guess...) I seriously thought last year we had no chance as well...for all the same reasons.

I dunno how the Spurs do it. I mean, how the hell have we been in first place...we seem to really suck most of the time.

Mebbe this year it all catches up to us.

But I don't think I'll bet on it.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe, but at least last season, they went into the playoffs playing their best basketball. Can't say that now.

xtremesteven33
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
WOOOWW.....this forum jumps back and forth on every Spurs win or lose this year...

but its as simple as this...its all a mental thing
EVERY team that plays the Spurs this year have given it 110% because theyre are facing the modern dynasty of basketball. They want to beat this team more than any other team in the NBA. Other teams circle the day they face san antonio so they can be ready mentally and physically, while the spurs look at it as just another game. Have yall ever heard that basketball is the most mental game in sports? it is.....Yes the Hornets beat the crap out of us twice this year but whos counting this in the playoffs?

and enough about how the Spurs are getting too old. are they old? yes, but it doesnt mean theyre tooo old. i believe they have one more run in them....

and yes i am worried about thier offense but they are still the favorites to win the west....

in the words of Ric Flair

"TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN...."

timaios
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Last game Hornets played before Spurs was Saturday @Rockets

Meanwhile Spurs played sunday @Suns and monday vs Nuggets... 2 tough games on a back to back.

So, 3 days of rest for a young team VS 1 day of rest for an old team.

Spurs were tired ! And Hornets full of energy. That was the big difference.

The stat :
Tony Parker : 2-3 3pts
Other spurs players : 0-15 3pts

AND Hornets played a GREAT game !!!

Obstructed_View
03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
They've got time to turn it around. This happens to the Spurs just about every year, where they just have a horrendously bad stretch and then suddenly snap out of it and start giving effort for the whole game. The catalyst is typically a terrible embarassing loss which allows Pop to embarass the team publicly and call them out, followed by an effort win like the Pistons game last year. One of the pieces is in place.

Allanon
03-12-2008, 09:58 PM
To me, these are the telling signs:

Traditionally, the Spur veteran teams had good road records and wins against good teams ... regular searons or not.

Spurs are almost a lock to win at home, but on the road, they have the worst record of an elite team. Don't tell me the Jazz, they aren't Elite, Utah's road record is beyond pathetic.

Add to that, an 8-6 record in the division and the worst vs west conference record of all the top teams.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
WOOOWW.....this forum jumps back and forth on every Spurs win or lose this year...

but its as simple as this...its all a mental thing
EVERY team that plays the Spurs this year have given it 110% because theyre are facing the modern dynasty of basketball. They want to beat this team more than any other team in the NBA. Other teams circle the day they face san antonio so they can be ready mentally and physically, while the spurs look at it as just another game. Have yall ever heard that basketball is the most mental game in sports? it is.....Yes the Hornets beat the crap out of us twice this year but whos counting this in the playoffs?

and enough about how the Spurs are getting too old. are they old? yes, but it doesnt mean theyre tooo old. i believe they have one more run in them....

and yes i am worried about thier offense but they are still the favorites to win the west....

in the words of Ric Flair

"TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN...."

Have a cavalier attitude if you want. The points have merit. At some point, if the Spurs do not repeat, these points will be hashed and rehased over and over again.

urunobili
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Pop plz make something happen!

wildbill2u
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
In watching this game, the Hornets broadcast team made a couple of key points that are particularly troublesome if you are a Spurs fan.

First, they indicated that when the Spurs resort to a trapping style of defense, it's not as effective because of the advanced age and lack of quickness on the part of most of their defenders. This point was repeated by the same broadcast team in an earlier contest between these two teams earlier this season. It's a salient point because they really do seem to struggle against younger, quicker teams - like the Hornets. Their rotations are late, if they come at all, and they don't seem as quick to rebounds and loose balls. We all know if the Spurs cannot defend the opposition, it doesn't really matter what they do on the offensive end.

Second point. They commented that the Spurs SHOULD NOT be considered one of the best teams in the West - despite having one of the better records in the conference. After turning down my reactionary bullshit alarm, I listened to their reasoning. They following that point with a troubling statistic. The Spurs have lost 12 out of their last 19 games against teams that have an above .500 record. This despite their recent 11-game winning streak. In looking at how they've lost games against better competition (NO, DEN, PHX, BOS), there may be a shred of truth there, too. Also let's also not forget, in the two losses to the Hornets, the Spurs had their "doors blown off" by this team.

As the playoffs draw near, both points do raise some concern about the Spurs ability to handle these teams in a 7-game playoff series. Is is time to wonder if the Spurs advanced age and lack of athleticism are now producing diminished returns?
At half time, one of the New Orleans coaches said their strategy was to run the Spurs because "they are an old team and NO has young legs." He didn't mention the grueling schedule the Spurs are playing this month, but that goes without saying.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
At half time, one of the New Orleans coaches said their strategy was to run the Spurs because "they are an old team and NO has young legs." He didn't mention the grueling schedule the Spurs are playing this month, but that goes without saying.

Which makes it even harder to overcome large deficits. The Spurs do not have enough scoring and are not defending well enough to overcome get back into games. Combine that with poor FT shooting and it's a disastrous recipe.

boutons_
03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
road record is a very good indicator.

Spurs are just 17-15 and at serious risk of dropping to/below .500 in the next week.

texbound
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Those are two great points and they may be true, but a win over the Pistons this Friday could change all that.

I don't know, Maybe I'm watching this team with my heart and not my head. With that said, I do take solace in knowing that if the Spurs win against Det and Phi this weekend then they will have the exact same record they had last year at this time (46-20). That alone forces me to believe they know what they're doing and the ship can get turned around just like last year.

They do have a tougher ending schedule this year, but that could serve as either a springboard into the playoffs or a tailspin. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays out.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Good points and I celebrate you as one of the most clear posters on this forum but I'm not going to freak out on these losses. I can come up with several excuses as well as to why they lost in addition to those brought up but the fine NO folks.

The spurs have unmatched mental toughness compared to the rest of the league except perhaps the old Detroit team. I can see them getting their act together as soon as they smell blood (ring/playoff time).

Pop's real magic wand will come out and the heart of a champion will rise again. Spurs roster has many rings and they are proven winners, able to win when it counts, when it matters and they know how to do it.

They will be relentless in their pursuit to get another ring. Just let them smell a little blood. They can even lose the first game of the series as it has happened before but from then on things will be different.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
2-18 on threes.

There's your ball game.

Obstructed_View
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
2-18 on threes.

There's your ball game.
Relying on threes and long twos. THERE'S your ball game.

T Park
03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
All of a sudden not driving the ball to the hole and not playing pressure defense, like they did back on the 23rd is alot of the problem I'd say.

TDMVPDPOY
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
all of a sudden we are becomin like the suns team in past few years, live by the 3, die by the 3

PS. we need barry asap

dbreiden83080
03-12-2008, 10:39 PM

OH STOP are you kidding me here?? Spurs are the defending NBA champs, they have the best big man in the game, an all star PG, Manu playing his best ball ever and are 44-20 on the year 2nd in the west and they should NOT be seen as one of the best in the west, LOL. Don't pay attention to that garbage. WE have beat the Suns, we beat the Hornets and we beat Dallas this year. Don't overreact so much to one game and a delusional broadcast team trying to sell their team as the team to beat.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Good points and I celebrate you as one of the most clear posters on this forum but I'm not going to freak out on these losses. I can come up with several excuses as well as to why they lost in addition to those brought up but the fine NO folks.

The spurs have unmatched mental toughness compared to the rest of the league except perhaps the old Detroit team. I can see them getting their act together as soon as they smell blood (ring/playoff time).

Pop's real magic wand will come out and the heart of a champion will rise again. Spurs roster has many rings and they are proven winners, able to win when it counts, when it matters and they know how to do it.

They will be relentless in their pursuit to get another ring. Just let them smell a little blood. They can even lose the first game of the series as it has happened before but from then on things will be different.

I appreciate your kind words and I agree with you in theory. :toast

Past history has proven that we should trust in Pop and the big three to right the ship. The most telling point is a championship-caliber team should be playing their best brand of ball as they drive toward the playoffs.

Like everyone else, I want and hope they repeat. However we know at some point, the Spurs continual drive to be repeat as NBA champions, and at thee same time striving to be the annual winners of the "oldest team in the league award" will have diminishing returns.

Games like this make many of us wonder if they've reached that threshold. As valuable as age and experience are in the playoffs, there is something to be said for having some fresh bodies and fresh legs to provide energy and hustle when the "old heads" are struggling.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
OH STOP are you kidding me here?? Spurs are the defending NBA champs, they have the best big man in the game, an all star PG, Manu playing his best ball ever and are 44-20 on the year 2nd in the west and they should NOT be seen as one of the best in the west, LOL. Don't pay attention to that garbage. WE have beat the Suns, we beat the Hornets and we beat Dallas this year. Don't overreact so much to one game and a delusional broadcast team trying to sell their team as the team to beat.

Look dude, I merely offered up both these points as fodder for discussion to the forum. If you read my entire post, I indicated that my :"bullshit alarm" went off when they made the claim. Next time, read the entire post before YOU overreact.

dbreiden83080
03-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Look dude, I merely offered up both these points as fodder for discussion to the forum. If you read my entire post, I indicated that my :"bullshit alarm" went off when they made the claim. Next time, read the entire post before YOU overreact.

I didn't overreact you did. You said your bullshit alarm went off and then validated every damn thing they had to say. Read your own posts before you get pissed off when someone calls it into question.

Supreme_Being
03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Believe in them fucking Los Sporks, will ya?

Obstructed_View
03-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Believe in them fucking Loss Sporks, will ya?
Fixed for accuracy.

DarrinS
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I have a theory.

Team #1 shoots "lights out" and can't miss ANY jump shot.
Team #2 shoots brick after brick.

9 out of 10 times, team #1 will win.

Now, everyone get back off of the ledge.

SenorSpur
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I didn't overreact you did. You said your bullshit alarm went off and then validated every damn thing they had to say. Read your own posts before you get pissed off when someone calls it into question.

If you watched the game, the points have merit. That's all the post was about.

G-Nob
03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
The difference between this year and last year is I didn't worry if one of the big three were not on the court at any kind of stretch. I have to agree with the differences. The spurs "switch" has already been flipped, we're finally seeing age catch up with these guys.

DarrinS
03-12-2008, 11:19 PM
I thought the Spurs played pretty good in the first half, except for Tony going underneath the screens.

It just got out of hand in the 2nd half and the Spurs went on a LOOOOOOONG scoring drought.

I still don't see Hornets out of the 1st round. I could already see them starting to lose their composure.

Allanon
03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Those are two great points and they may be true, but a win over the Pistons this Friday could change all that.

I don't know, Maybe I'm watching this team with my heart and not my head. With that said, I do take solace in knowing that if the Spurs win against Det and Phi this weekend then they will have the exact same record they had last year at this time (46-20). That alone forces me to believe they know what they're doing and the ship can get turned around just like last year.

If the Spurs beat both the Pistons and Phllly, forget I said anything negative, the Spurs will be fine.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 12:39 AM
I have a theory.

9 out of 10 times, team #1 will win.

Now, everyone get back off of the ledge.
Team #2 has two of the best penetrators in the game, and the best post up player of his generation, yet still puts up outside shot after outside shot, doesn't play good team defense and gets out rebounded

10 out of 10 times, team #1 wins.

dbreiden83080
03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
If you watched the game, the points have merit. That's all the post was about.

I'm not looking for a fight i am just saying i don't take what they said all too serious. Spurs played like shit tonight there is no doubt. However they did beat this team not that long ago and they beat Dallas as well. They played poorly against the Suns and had a lead with 5 min to play on the road in the 4th qtr. They also beat the Suns when they still had Marion and in my opinion were a better team. They are just coming off an 11 game winning streak. I don't think for one second that Tim, Manu and Tony would allow a team like NO to beat them in a 7 game series. Just seemed like a bit of an overreaction to a bad outing by our beloved Spurs.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Just seemed like a bit of an overreaction to a bad outing by our beloved Spurs.
How about four bad outings in a row? The Spurs played three winning teams during the 11 game streak and won them by an average of six points. They've played four winning teams in the last four and lost three of them by an average of 15 points. They've also been outrebounded by over ten a game during that stretch. They certainly need to wake up and start playing better.

dbreiden83080
03-13-2008, 01:39 AM
How about four bad outings in a row? The Spurs played three winning teams during the 11 game streak and won them by an average of six points. They've played four winning teams in the last four and lost three of them by an average of 15 points. They've also been outrebounded by over ten a game during that stretch. They certainly need to wake up and start playing better.

Yeah and they beat Denver on the 2nd of a back to back when Denver had full rest. Spurs could have 10 bad ones in a row guess what, they are still the Spurs. They do this every year. They have some lapses the fans freak out and then they get it together. Earlier in the year when they were playing bad i was BASHED on this forum for telling those that were freaking out to "RELAX they are fine they will get it together". Once they got back on track most were talking title again and now a couple of bad ones and we are all having a hissy fit. Spurs are fine, Hornet ASSHOLE announcers are not changing my mind one bit.

DespЏrado
03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
I just don't think we are seeing the Spurs play as a team yet. This new look spurs team has new additions that its trying to assimilate on the fly.

Tony hasn't even totally reintegrated into the offense yet. And they miss Barry.
So the Spurs are struggling with their identity at this late a stage which is worrying in itself. But that isn't to say that age has caught up to them.

The Spurs still have it. They just are missing that unifying team machine that oils all of the gears. I would still put all my money on the spurs to win it all...

slayermin
03-13-2008, 01:59 AM
The Spurs record against good teams is troublesome.

But I think getting a top four seed in the playoffs is all that counts.

I would rather make the game a three point shooting contest and have a less physical game against teams that are desperate. That's what the Suns, Nuggets, and Hornets are right now. There is no need to get caught up in some slugfest with a top tier team fighting for their playoff lives.

Hopefully you shoot it well and win it at the end. I hate losing but the last few games have been played at a playoff intensity. I don't want one of our guys to get hurt because the other team is desperate and plays with reckless abandon to win.

I will take health and a fourth seed in the playoffs with a smile. Pick and choose your battles in the regular season.

Indazone
03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Nothing new here. Ayup, Spurs are slow on rotations...anytime we double there is always a man wide open. Spurs age and, more importantly...nagging injuries, is hampering them a lot.

Every win is hard fought, and it seems just the Spurs Pride and Stubborniness are getting those. We don't blow out anyone. Which prolly concerns me more than anything else. Our point differential has got to be a lot lower than years past.

This is nothing that hasn't been obvious to anyone paying attention. Shouldn't come as a surprise or a "new interesting thought" process here.

Yet...there is that pride and stubborness. We've never been athletic. We've always been old (little older now I guess...) I seriously thought last year we had no chance as well...for all the same reasons.

I dunno how the Spurs do it. I mean, how the hell have we been in first place...we seem to really suck most of the time.

Mebbe this year it all catches up to us.

But I don't think I'll bet on it.

Easy to fix, throw the rookies in and tell them to play as hard as they can for 10 minutes.

703 Spurz
03-13-2008, 10:02 AM
To me, these are the telling signs:

Traditionally, the Spur veteran teams had good road records and wins against good teams ... regular searons or not.

Spurs are almost a lock to win at home, but on the road, they have the worst record of an elite team. Don't tell me the Jazz, they aren't Elite, Utah's road record is beyond pathetic.

Add to that, an 8-6 record in the division and the worst vs west conference record of all the top teams.

What makes the Lakers elite exactly? The Jazz went further then the Lakers did last year so how can the Jazz not be elite yet the Lakers are? B/C of their huge 3 game lead on the Jazz?

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah and they beat Denver on the 2nd of a back to back when Denver had full rest. Spurs could have 10 bad ones in a row guess what, they are still the Spurs. They do this every year. They have some lapses the fans freak out and then they get it together. Earlier in the year when they were playing bad i was BASHED on this forum for telling those that were freaking out to "RELAX they are fine they will get it together". Once they got back on track most were talking title again and now a couple of bad ones and we are all having a hissy fit. Spurs are fine, Hornet ASSHOLE announcers are not changing my mind one bit.
The Spurs are in a lapse. It's time to get it together. They haven't consistently played well since Elson got hurt.

WalterBenitez
03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I am not worried, I am scared....we are gonna quit after one round in playoff.