PDA

View Full Version : Apple Unveils Mini Mac, IPod Shuffle

ducks
01-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Apple Unveils Mini Mac, IPod Shuffle

SAN FRANCISCO - Apple Computer Inc. chief executive Steve Jobs (news - web sites) unveiled a very small $499 computer on Tuesday and a flash memory-based music player called the iPod Shuffle.

Defend Yourself
Stop and destroy PC scourges, and kill spyware with an arsenal of tools.

The new products seek to make inroads against the traditionally more affordable PC market and against lower-cost competitors to Apple's wildly popular iPod.

The Mini Mac computers, smaller than even some standalone external computer drives, go on sale Jan. 22. They lack a monitor, mouse and keyboard. The 40-gigabyte Mini Mac will cost $499, an 80-gigabyte model $599.

"People who are thinking of switching will have no more excuses," Jobs said during a keynote speech at Macworld and Expo. "It's the newest and most affordable Mac ever."

The product for the first time puts Apple in the budget desktop PC arena, which so has been largely confined to personal computers that rely on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system.

Building upon the success in a rapidly growing niche that it already dominates, Apple also is rolling out two lower-priced versions of its iPod music players.

The iPod Shuffle, available immediately, is smaller than most packs of gum, weighing less than an ounce.

Unlike the hard drive-based iPod Mini, it doesn't have a display. There's a scroll wheel for the controls so a user can either play the songs in order or have the device automatically shuffle stored songs in a random order.

Apple is selling two versions of the iPod Shuffle.

The smallest will have 512 megabytes of storage and cost $99. A one-gigabyte version, which holds 240 songs, will sell for $149. The lowest cost iPod is the mini, which costs $249 for four gigabytes — enough to store about 1,000 songs

"We want to bring even more people into the digital revolution," Jobs said.

The iPod has helped infuse new life into Apple. In the past year, the Cupertino-based company's stock has tripled on strong sales of the iPod, which is emerging as one of the 21st century's first cultural icons.

With the Mac Mini, Jobs is setting out to expand Apple's 3 percent share of the U.S. computer market.

Investors appeared unimpressed with Jobs' announcements.

Apple's shares fell $2.71 to $66.25 during Tuesday's trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Too bad it won't do a lot of the stuff I need it to do.

ducks
01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
ok what do you need it to do that it can not do...

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I knew I would get under your feathers! :lol

Run Autocad, the latest and greatest games, and be compatible with EVERYTHING I connect to it. Oh and be upgradable!

ducks
01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
muy apple is upgradable

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
muy apple is upgradable

Not muy much.

It's not the same and you know it. I can gut a PC and switch out everything I want to easily and inexpensively. Apple is just niche. It can be used as general everyday use, but not in the varied tasks my PC serves me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Not muy much.

It's not the same and you know it. I can gut a PC and switch out everything I want to easily and inexpensively. Apple is just niche. It can be used as general everyday use, but not in the varied tasks my PC serves me.

Actually, I think this would say everything you wanted a lot quicker.

Jobs is setting out to expand Apple's 3 percent share of the U.S. computer market.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 05:54 PM
If I could afford a high end Mac I'd get one for multimedia purposes in a HEARTBEAT. But I can't even afford a damn IPODmini. AND I WANT ONE.

ducks
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
I knew I would get under your feathers! :lol

Run Autocad, the latest and greatest games, and be compatible with EVERYTHING I connect to it. Oh and be upgradable!

you know you can install virtial pc on the mac and install windows on it

there are alot of cool games you can get for the mac
autocad I am not sure
but most companies make software now for the mac and windows

ducks
01-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Not muy much.

memory is the same price for windows as my imac

hardrives are the same for my imac as a regualar pc because it takes the same kind

the wireless routers are the same if you do not buy the one from apple. the one from apple is way overprised because of the name.

the isights or webcams are the same. buy the logitech webcam and not the apple insight.......

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 06:11 PM
you know you can install virtial pc on the mac and install windows on it

Or he can just run a cheaper windows PC?

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
memory is the same price for windows as my imac

hardrives are the same for my imac as a regualar pc because it takes the same kind

the wireless routers are the same if you do not buy the one from apple. the one from apple is way overprised because of the name.

the isights or webcams are the same. buy the logitech webcam and not the apple insight.......

I knew you would talk about emulation of Windows. That does not work well with cpu/memory intensive programs such as engineering software and games. Plus you have all the troubles associated with running two OS's and any conflicts of the emulator.

PC's are cheaper than Macs. I know many of the parts are the same but it's how you can combine those parts that's a concern. Take your average Mac. How many hard drives can you put in it? Now what happens if your Macs power supply can not handle the power draw of said drives? Can you change cases easily? What are your choices for video or sound cards? How can you add new features like SATA to your Mac long after you've purchased it? How many optical drives can you support in a mac at once?

You may have answers to every question I listed, but I can bet they are not as cheap or readily available as the PC solutions.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Or he can just run a cheaper windows PC?

But why, Manny?

Why wouldn't I want to buy an overpriced piece of equipment for the sole purpose of running a cheaper platform when I could just buy said platform?

:lmao

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
But why, Manny?

Why wouldn't I want to buy an overpriced piece of equipment for the sole purpose of running a cheaper platform when I could just buy said platform?

:lmao

Ouch! Ducks, do you have a pony tail?