PDA

View Full Version : Where are our role players?

Deimosfobos
03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Tim+Manu+Parker:
96min
59pts on 25/42 shooting
16 rbs
11 assists

Rest of the team:
154Min
16 pts on 8/35 shooting
11 rbs
7 assists

I mean... wtf? Is not the first time we get almost no production from the rest of the team. :madrun

greens
03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
That's an excellent question...

I truly feel that other than the Big Three+Bruce Bowen, no one else is playing any defense...and the offense is even worse...the role players just can't buy a basket...They REALLY need to step it up.

pad300
03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Tim+Manu+Parker with around 32min played each:
59pts on 25/42 shooting
16 rbs
11 assists

Rest of the team:
16 pts on 8/35 shooting
11 rbs
7 assists

I mean... wtf? Is not the first time we get almost no production from the rest of the team. :madrun

It looks worse if you figure it by minutes. The big 3 had 96 minutes. Everyone else had a combined 154 minutes...

bthewigwam
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
This was the first stat I noticed. It was hard not to and it was also very evident in the recent loss to Denver. Insane.
Hurry back Brent!

Deimosfobos
03-12-2008, 11:58 PM
It looks worse if you figure it by minutes. The big 3 had 96 minutes. Everyone else had a combined 154 minutes...

Ty, added.

We need at least some decent contribution if we hope to repeat... our big 3 can't do it all.

Mr. Body
03-13-2008, 12:40 AM
They're all ancient. We're playing animated dead at this point.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Tim+Manu+Parker:
96min
59pts on 25/42 shooting
16 rbs
11 assists

Rest of the team:
154Min
16 pts on 8/35 shooting
11 rbs
7 assists

The Spurs had about 55 shots outside the paint. They took 77 shots. Timmy, Manu and Tony took 42 shots. Do the math; the Spurs took too many outside shots. I know Peja is a fearsome presence in the paint, but sometimes you've gotta go in and take that big contact.

jag
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
If we knock down those open shots it's a different game...

The Spurs have relied on spreading the floor and knocking down those jumpers for awhile...it didnt start this season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
They're all ancient. We're playing animated dead at this point.

Sadly, I think you're absolutely right. Old and slow. Against some teams it doesn't matter, but against young, quick teams like the Nuggets, Hornets and Jazz we get exposed.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
If we knock down those open shots it's a different game...

The Spurs have relied on spreading the floor and knocking down those jumpers for awhile...it didnt start this season.

The Spurs rely on hitting jumpers that are opened up by Duncan's post game and Ginobili and Parker's penetration and kickouts. The team tonight settled for jumpers and took shots off the dribble. That's not Spurs' offense.

Duncan had about four shots within six or seven feet of the rim. The entire game. I don't see how anybody that's watched this team for any length of time can't see the problem.

jag
03-13-2008, 01:14 AM
The Spurs rely on hitting jumpers that are opened up by Duncan's post game and Ginobili and Parker's penetration and kickouts. The team tonight settled for jumpers and took shots off the dribble. That's not Spurs' offense.

Duncan had about four shots within six or seven feet of the rim. The entire game. I don't see how anybody that's watched this team for any length of time can't see the problem.

I guess i just dont think it's the end of the world because we had a terrible showing tonight. The spurs might have been lazy tonight, but we arent going to win either way if we arent knocking down those shots.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 01:26 AM
I guess i just dont think it's the end of the world because we had a terrible showing tonight. The spurs might have been lazy tonight, but we arent going to win either way if we arent knocking down those shots.
I don't think it's the end of the world either, but they're playing like shit. If they aren't knocking down those shots, aren't trying to penetrate or go to Timmy in the post, aren't hitting their free throws and aren't rebounding or playing defense then it's a sign of effort, and this all comes on the heels of a 1-2 stretch where they aren't playing defense or rebounding. It is what it is. If the Spurs think seeding is important, then they have to win division games against playoff teams.

jag
03-13-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't think it's the end of the world either, but they're playing like shit. If they aren't knocking down those shots, aren't trying to penetrate or go to Timmy in the post, aren't hitting their free throws and aren't rebounding or playing defense then it's a sign of effort, and this all comes on the heels of a 1-2 stretch where they aren't playing defense or rebounding. It is what it is. If the Spurs think seeding is important, then they have to win division games against playoff teams.

The question of effort is something that i think people have a legitimate gripe about. For one reason or another there seems to be a complete lack of intensity...i dont know if our guys are just tired at this point or what, but that is definitely something i'm concerned about.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Remember the times when Spurs fans were gushing over the team?

Saying things like "Our second unit could be starters in the east!!!"

"We're 12 deep!!!"

I want to say they're "old" but all the bench is asked for is spot up shooting. Put shooters around our big three? and you get instant offense. Is that so hard?

Finley now sucks
Horry's shot is unreliable in the regular season
Udoka seems to be a chucker, forces bad shots
Damon Stoudamire useless
Jacque Vaughn not a shooter
Bowen can only hit the corner three, and miss runners.

Bonner not clutch

Kurt Thomas is the only one with a consistent jumper outside of the big three

Barry will be the additional one.

When did we lose our consistent shooters??? It was such a Spurs formula with Timmy, but we got stuck resting on our laurels with guys like Finley and Horry.

I'm confused, because our roster is not that much different, (with the exception of Beno who was a good shooter on paper.)
But we have Damon Stoudamire and Udoka, who haven't really proved themselves to be reliable shooters.

jag
03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Remember the times when Spurs fans were gushing over the team?

Saying things like "Our second unit could be starters in the east!!!"

"We're 12 deep!!!"

I want to say they're "old" but all the bench is asked for is spot up shooting. Put shooters around our big three? and you get instant offense. Is that so hard?

Finley now sucks
Horry's shot is unreliable in the regular season
Udoka seems to be a chucker, forces bad shots
Damon Stoudamire useless
Jacque Vaughn not a shooter
Bowen can only hit the corner three, and miss runners.

Bonner not clutch

Kurt Thomas is the only one with a consistent jumper outside of the big three

Barry will be the additional one.

When did we lose our consistent shooters??? It was such a Spurs formula with Timmy, but we got stuck resting on our laurels with guys like Finley and Horry.

I'm confused, because our roster is not that much different, (with the exception of Beno who was a good shooter on paper.)
But we have Damon Stoudamire and Udoka, who haven't really proved themselves to be reliable shooters.

We rely on Vets who have up and downs....right now we're getting a lot of downs.

This happens every year...it really does...the biggest thing is that we need to go into the playoffs with momentum. If we go in playing like this, i'll be quite worried.

hsxvvd
03-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Brent Barry was clearly under appreciated. He does more than many give him credit for. He'll be a welcome return.

InK
03-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Im glad Barry is coming back, but we can be happy if he ll be near 100% come playoffs. The contribution from the roleplayers lately is really starting to get disturbing. With the race as tight as it is we need someone besides the Big 3 to start making some consistent offensive effort.

Hopefully we can win 2 out of the next 3.

urunobili
03-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Hopefully we can win 2 out of the next 3.
i want the revenge vs. ORL

BonnerDynasty
03-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Keep the big dog caged up and he won't stop the burglars at night. 5 minutes. Pop, you're fired.

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2008, 07:46 AM
The best one's wearing a Rocket uniform now.

BonnerDynasty
03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
The best one's wearing a Rocket uniform now.

Bonner being named "The Red Rocket."

Scola is a Red Rocket.

Coincidence?

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Bonner being named "The Red Rocket."

Scola is a Red Rocket.

Coincidence?
Diabolical!

WalterBenitez
03-13-2008, 12:36 PM
We should bench the trio ... to spark the bench, you know...

ricketts
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
The Spurs had about 55 shots outside the paint. They took 77 shots. Timmy, Manu and Tony took 42 shots. Do the math; the Spurs took too many outside shots. I know Peja is a fearsome presence in the paint, but sometimes you've gotta go in and take that big contact.

My dad and i were saying the same thing at the Denver game. there was almost no penetration. I have to wonder what this is about. Pop trying to save the team from injury, lack of confidence, or lack of ability? either way its scary. they cant just pass the ball around the perimeter hoping for an open jumper or in to Timmy each possession. they need to create some penetration and either take it to the hole or dish it out. it would also help if they got some calls on their drives.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
It's as if someone set the Spurs bench's 2k8 sliders to 35 while the opponent sliders are at 80.

ClingingMars
03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
It's as if someone set the Spurs bench's 2k8 sliders to 35 while the opponent sliders are at 80.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

we need to play 2k8 sometime.

-Mars

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Last year I remember when the big 3 were feeling the need to control the game because the Spurs were slumping. That's when Pop made his statement that there were going to be no trades. I remember Pop also telling the big 3 to trust their teammates and suddenly teamwork took over and SA went on a 25-3 tear before losing the meaningless last 3 regular season games.

So, 31 games out is when the Spurs flipped the switch.

We're now 18 games from the post season. It will be interesting to see what Pop and the Spurs can do this year with the season dwindling down. If you take injuries and player moves into account I think you can forgive the Spurs for taking longer to gel.

The last 15 regular season games are enough to prepare if Pop and the Spurs dig in. That's an adequate pre-season.

We'll see.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-14-2008, 01:13 AM
superb posts Obstructed

:tu

I'm a little worried, but I have a feeling we'll be peaking in the playoffs. Whether peaking is enough to win it all with all the crazy teams this season, I don't know. But everyone knew this was going to be a very brutal stretch of games, and NO has murdered us before....on our own court no less.

So yeah, we've got issues, but it's nothing that's un-fixable. I can't see Pop not developing a game plan to get these guys back on track.

wow, that might've been the most positive post of my life on SpursTalk :lol

Brutalis
03-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Last year I remember when the big 3 were feeling the need to control the game because the Spurs were slumping. That's when Pop made his statement that there were going to be no trades. I remember Pop also telling the big 3 to trust their teammates and suddenly teamwork took over and SA went on a 25-3 tear before losing the meaningless last 3 regular season games.

So, 31 games out is when the Spurs flipped the switch.

We're now 18 games from the post season. It will be interesting to see what Pop and the Spurs can do this year with the season dwindling down. If you take injuries and player moves into account I think you can forgive the Spurs for taking longer to gel.

The last 15 regular season games are enough to prepare if Pop and the Spurs dig in. That's an adequate pre-season.

We'll see.

Nice post.

On the losing the last three games to end the season-- seems like we do it every year.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Well, yeah considering our playoff seeds are usually set by that time (which i guess was implied)

Will be interesting to see how many seeds will be left to be determined on the last day of the season.

O-Factor
03-14-2008, 01:32 AM
I've never seen the team, outside of the big 3, so hesitant when they get the ball. Damon has not adjusted to our offense and I have to put alot of the blame on Pop. He has not gotten the team, again outside of the big 3, ready.