PDA

View Full Version : Dear Finley...

batboy
03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Please pull your :tu out of your :donkey

whottt
03-13-2008, 12:28 AM
IMO, it's not because he's got his head up his butt...it's because his age is catching up with him. His age was catching up with him 3 years ago, that's why the Mavs let him go. He turns the clock back on occasion...but it's not something he is capable of doing every night or even for most of the season.

This Michael Finley is nowhere near the one that played for the Mavs and Suns...not anywhere close.

And I'm not saying this because I am a Finley fan either...I think he chokes...at the same time, I think he plays hard and tried to do his best. He wouldn't be sucking like this intentionally....does he really look like he's having fun?

Finley's old and he's not going to have it every night, Barry is old and he's got leg issues, Udoka is green and hasn't really gotten used to playing in a playoff type of environment.

What you hope for is that they can be cobbled into a decent backup 2 guard/backup sf.

batboy
03-13-2008, 12:33 AM
What you hope for is that they can be cobbled into a decent backup 2 guard/backup sf.

Frankenbench? That's impossible to coach. How would you know who was going to have something to bring until they are already in the game stinking it up? The way I see it, when Barry comes back, Fin is simply out of the rotation.

jag
IMO, it's not because he's got his head up his butt...it's because his age is catching up with him. His age was catching up with him 3 years ago, that's why the Mavs let him go. He turns the clock back on occasion...but it's not something he is capable of doing every night or even for most of the season.

This Michael Finley is nowhere near the one that played for the Mavs and Suns...not anywhere close.

And I'm not saying this because I am a Finley fan either...I think he chokes...at the same time, I think he plays hard and tried to do his best. He wouldn't be sucking like this intentionally....does he really look like he's having fun?

Finley's old and he's not going to have it every night, Barry is old and he's got leg issues, Udoka is green and hasn't really gotten used to playing in a playoff type of environment.

Good take, you can't expect the guy to bring it every single night. Once in awhile hes gonna have fresh legs and put up 20...but we need to be realistic with our expectations.

Age is a very real factor when it comes to the NBA...we've been ignoring it like it's not real...

We can't trash our guys for being "terrible" because they dont have the ability to bring fresh legs to every game.

F i n l e y
Please pull your :tu out of your :donkey

Dear "batboy" --

Your attempts at "insulting" me in front of your online buddies are completely lame. Crawl out of that dark basement and do something with your life.

-- M. Finley

batboy
03-13-2008, 12:37 AM
We can't trash our guys for being "terrible" because they dont have the ability to bring fresh legs to every game.

I don't know what season everyone has been watching. Finley does _not_ have it on any given night. Him bringing it is the abberation. He can't shuffle his feet at all on D and his normal lines are on the order of 1/6, 0/6, maybe 2/7 shooting. Guy bothers to sink a couple of J's for a few games and we turn a blind eye to his general suckage all year?

Our bench is a steaming pile of dog crap right now, and Finley is the weakest link.

batboy
03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Dear "batboy" --

Your attempts at "insulting" me in front of your online buddies are completely lame. Crawl out of that dark basement and do something with your life.

-- M. Finley

How is a second year Spur such a Sacred Cow around here? Every Spurs fan I talk to outside of this board is in agreement on Finley.

Mr. Body
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Age comes atcha fast.

jag
03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't know what season everyone has been watching. Finley does _not_ have it on any given night. Him bringing it is the abberation. He can't shuffle his feet at all on D and his normal lines are on the order of 1/6, 0/6, maybe 2/7 shooting. Guy bothers to sink a couple of J's for a few games and we turn a blind eye to his general suckage all year?

Our bench is a steaming pile of dog crap right now, and Finley is the weakest link.

Udoka has looked completely lost on the court at times and i dont see you dedicating threads to him...

This type of ridiculous rant belongs in a Suns forum. It was obvious we had an old team when the season started. It was obvious we had an old team when last season started. There's a reason we win titles with veterans and it's not because they knock in game winners in February and March. At this point we have to make due with what we have. This type of talk was going on last year as well until he threw in 6 straight 3's against Denver when it counted.

This thread is premature at best...

batboy
03-13-2008, 12:49 AM
This type of talk was going on last year as well until he threw in 6 straight 3's against Denver when it counted.

I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and say that Finley won't be dropping 6 straight 3's against anyone whether or not it counts. Meanwhile he can't front a Zamboni on D. And yeah, Udoka has been a huge disappointment on the offensive end.

Mr. Body
03-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Udoka was never supposed to be a scorer.

jag
03-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and say that Finley won't be dropping 6 straight 3's against anyone whether or not it counts. Meanwhile he can't front a Zamboni on D. And yeah, Udoka has been a huge disappointment on the offensive end.

Udoka wasnt brought in for offense...he was supposed to be a successor to Bowen...or so we thought. I've wanted to see it, but he's really looked lost out there at times. I still think he can pull it together though, which is why i'm not starting ridiculous threads about his inconsistency.

And what you said about Finley proves my point. Premature thread

Ice009
03-13-2008, 01:03 AM
I think I could live with Bonner getting a chance. Give youth a go. Old fellas seem like they've hit the wall.

We used Steve Smith in 2002 and look where that got us. We went with Youth in 2003 with S-Jax and others look where that got us. Right now I take Bonners energy and hustle and heart. I like the way Bonner played in the Denver game. Maybe it's time to give him a shot? A real shot.

SenorSpur
03-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Pop's continued "blind loyalty" to these aged role players is wearing thin.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Give Bonner Finley's shots...

I remember Finley had a shooting slump and Pop gave him confidence by telling him to keep shooting...Not so sure it'll work again. You can only hope his hot streak comes during the playoffs.

Udoka was never supposed to be a scorer.
At best they saw his 3 pt percentage and found him to be a good corner 3 - Bowen apprentice,

unfortunately when Barry got traded they gave him more offensive duties, which he kinda sucks at so far (decision making wise.)

urunobili
03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Pop's continued "blind loyalty" to these aged role players is wearing thin.
with all due respect... would you prefer to have a J.R. Smith instead of Fin or Barry? i dunno what the impact of this super athletic tattoo guys may have on our locker room... :depressed

mexicanjunior
03-13-2008, 08:22 AM

I think Horry is the weakest link but Finley is a close second...

Loose Cannon
03-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Finley is done as an NBA basketball player. No defense, no penetration, and the one thing that he had before, his jumper, is gone. On top of that, his shot selection is the worst I've ever seen from him, and easily the worst on the team.

He's been trying to shoot his way out of the slump for 60 games. How many more does he need?

41times
03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Finley is done as an NBA basketball player. No defense, no penetration, and the one thing that he had before, his jumper, is gone. On top of that, his shot selection is the worst I've ever seen from him, and easily the worst on the team.

He's been trying to shoot his way out of the slump for 60 games. How many more does he need?

Spot ON!

That is why the mavs paid him Millions to go away. they saw it coming like a freight train.

Can't defend, can't dribble, can't drive, can barely shoot.

Is there a worse player in the league making 20 million???

He will be gone from the Mavs payroll after this year and he will be gone from the Spurs after this year.

mavsfan1000
03-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Finley has always been streaky. He can go through some pretty bad slumps.

Russ
03-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Hasn't this been said the last two years before the playoffs started?

hater
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Finley will be there in the playoffs.

It's the team defense and intensity that needs to start clicking. it is about time.

I expect Spurs to start playoffs at #4 or #5 spot.

no problem

loveforthegame
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Yep. Finley is to blame for the whole bench sucking. Every player off the bench has pretty much sucked but no threads dedicated to them but we get a dozeon for Finley.

He's always been a streak shooter so you can only hope that it'll return when the playoffs start.

Barry's addition will be nice but how's he going to magically cure everyone's shooting woes?

thousandth
03-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Finley is done as an NBA basketball player.

I can't tell when you're being serious. Remember last Spurs vs New York? and how we won?. Mike isn't done but he was playing his worst games coming off the bench. I say Put Mike in the starting lineup and Manu coming off the bench. It's the best rotation for us. Otherwise Mike won't regain his level.

TDMVPDPOY
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
how can you forgive a man who earns 2 paychecks.....

he got his ring, now....

BonnerDynasty
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Just show up in the playoffs Fin. That trophy feels nice but forget the fuck about it and get one more.

Russ
03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I say Put Mike in the starting lineup and Manu coming off the bench. It's the best rotation for us.
Sounds like a plan. :)

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Finley's been exactly the same since he's been a Spur, the only difference is the ball wasn't going through the hoop last night. When he's making baskets nobody notices that he can't play defense or takes bad shots. Well, almost nobody.

thousandth
03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a plan. :)

I have already told Pop but he never listens. He might listen to you?. :)

T Park
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
:lol

The same fuckers writing his tombstone will be singing his great praises in the playoffs again.

Just like last year.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM

The same fuckers writing his tombstone will be singing his great praises in the playoffs again.

Just like last year.
Yeah he's great when he makes baskets. As long as he makes enough baskets to make up for his terrible defense and help the team win he gets a pass.

SenorSpur
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Does Finley's dismal slump surprise anyone? When the guy doesn't have his stroke, he's useless on the court. This was public knowledge his last 2-3 years in a Mavs uniform. This was the risk the Spurs FO decided was worth taking when they signed him.

WalterBenitez
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Dear Mike, lately you suck!

vander
03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Frankenbench :rollin :rollin I like that one

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
I can't tell when you're being serious. Remember last Spurs vs New York? and how we won?. Mike isn't done but he was playing his worst games coming off the bench. I say Put Mike in the starting lineup and Manu coming off the bench. It's the best rotation for us. Otherwise Mike won't regain his level.
Fin had a pretty high level when Tony was injured on the RRT and Manu going wild. He was shooting something around 46 percent.

I don't know if Fin should get to start because his defense has weakened.
I think Fin just needs to get a steady amount of minutes where he knows he's going to be on the court. I think Fin should be played with Manu during some stretches.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Fin had a pretty high level when Tony was injured on the RRT and Manu going wild. He was shooting something around 46 percent.

I don't know if Fin should get to start because his defense has weakened.
I think Fin just needs to get a steady amount of minutes where he knows he's going to be on the court. I think Fin should be played with Manu during some stretches.
:lol :lol :lol

Loose Cannon
03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
The notion that Finley is doing the same thing as past years is off.

Finley had slumps last year, but it didn't last for 60 games. How many "good" to "very good" games has Fin had this year? I can count maybe 4. Out of 60. That's not a slump. That's a basketball player that's not very good.

Finley's body of work last year was much, much better than this year. He had bad shooting games, but he had great shooting games to offset it. This year he offsets bad shooting games with worse shooting games.

There are a lot of things that change in the playoffs. Intensity, defense, the way the refs call the game, the minutes players get, etc. But in the end, a jump shot is a fucking jump shot. It's the same thing over and over. The word "playoffs" isn't going to correct a jumpshot that's been errant all season. So unless Finley pulls an Horry 2005 and starts dunking all over fools, I don't see any reason to believe he'll turn it around, where there was hope last year.

jag
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Just like last year.

+1...this cycle gets old

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
The notion that Finley is doing the same thing as past years is off.

Finley had slumps last year, but it didn't last for 60 games. How many "good" to "very good" games has Fin had this year? I can count maybe 4. Out of 60. That's not a slump. That's a basketball player that's not very good.

Finley's body of work last year was much, much better than this year. He had bad shooting games, but he had great shooting games to offset it. This year he offsets bad shooting games with worse shooting games.
Maybe I'm reading them wrong, but Finley's stats don't seem to support your claim.

SenorSpur
03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Bullshit! Finley is streaky - has always been streaky. The problem when his shot is off, he doesn't have anything else in his toolkit to make him a contributor.

SpursFan0728
03-13-2008, 07:22 PM

word.

Agloco
03-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Spot ON!

That is why the mavs paid him Millions to go away. they saw it coming like a freight train.
Can't defend, can't dribble, can't drive, can barely shoot.

Is there a worse player in the league making 20 million???

He will be gone from the Mavs payroll after this year and he will be gone from the Spurs after this year.

I bet they saw the title he won coming like a freight train also eh?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Bullshit! Finley is streaky - has always been streaky. The problem when his shot is off, he doesn't have anything else in his toolkit to make him a contributor.

Which I think is the biggest difference between him and Barry.

If barry's shot is off, he can at least create shots for others with his passing. Barry does wonders for our ball movement even if his shot isn't there at times.

T Park
03-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Doesn't do shit when hes constantly hurt.

batboy
03-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I appreciate the loyalty some of you guys are showing towards Finley, but if Parker has seen a comparable drop in performance this year, he would have been thrown under the bus long ago by Spurstalk.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm still not seeing this "drop in performance" When he hits shots he has some value. That's all.

T Park
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I appreciate the loyalty some of you guys are showing towards Finley, but if Parker has seen a comparable drop in performance this year, he would have been thrown under the bus long ago by Spurstalk.

Uh wrong.

Finley has played better this year than last year, WTF are you people talking about?

Hell Finley helped carry this team in January and February with the injuries, are you guys high?

God.

batboy
03-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Way to bump the thread Finley, way to bump it.

Creation88
03-15-2008, 08:28 PM
fucking blows again tonight.

batboy
03-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't know if I have ever been this angry at a player. It's not even Finley himself, it's the fact that Popp continues to rely on him in ill-advised situations, and fans continue to make excuses for him.

It's enough to make you pull your hair.

loveforthegame
03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
He's the reason for all the Spurs struggles.

Not sure why we're starting threads about Stoudamire, Sampson, or any of the other guys.

This all rests on Finley's shoulders.

loveforthegame
03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Bumping this for those that don't want to wait until the game is over.

Spurs Dynasty 21
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
damn he sucks

Creation88
03-17-2008, 10:09 PM
bad shot selection. that's all it was. this team is really worrying me now. we give up leads of 22, 11, and 7 with horrible decisions on the court. this is not good.

we lose to a team without one of their big three too. just not good.

batboy
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
look what I found...

loveforthegame
03-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah the 0-7 is ugly. He shot the ball well against Dallas in late February so no telling what his problem was today.

At least he had 5 rebounds and a couple steals and the defense was better than it has been. He only played 23 minutes so the 5 rebounds is a surprise. It's when he only has 1 (or none) rebound coupled with the bad shooting I don't like.

batboy
03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
The rebounding was actually kind of nice considering the previous two games, where he actually shot decently, he pulled down maybe one board per.