PDA

View Full Version : Oden at practice!!!

tlongII
03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/03/dreaming_of_oden.html#preview

SACRAMENTO -- Even if it was only for a moment, some of the Trail Blazers on Wednesday found themselves dreaming.

Not about Thursday's game at Sacramento. Or the rapidly approaching offseason.

Their dreams were of what this Trail Blazers team can become next season, thanks to the season's first practice participation by prized rookie center Greg Oden, who jumped, dunked and took part in offensive plays alongside his teammates for about 45 minutes.

"It almost brought it back to preseason when he was in the gym working out and there was that buzz,'' Brandon Roy said. "I mean, this season wasn't bad, but you can still tell that he's going to be something special, and that's exciting. You think about all the players we can have next season, and you know, it's going to be all right. It's going to be cool.''

But for now, with 17 games left in this season, Wednesday served as what athletic trainer Jay Jensen called "a baby step" in Oden's recovery from microfracture surgery on his right knee, which occurred six months ago today.

"It was fun,'' Oden said, his practice t-shirt sporting a sweat-stained ring around his neck. "It felt good to get out there ... and I wasn't hurting at all.''

There was even a little drama to Oden's surprise practice. When coach Nate McMillan announced the players he wanted on the court to run through offensive plays, he named Raef LaFrentz, Sergio Rodriguez, Josh McRoberts, Von Wafer ... and Oden.

"There was somewhat of an uproar by the team,'' McMillan said. "Some of them said 'Greg?', and I was like, 'Yeah, Greg.' I think everyone was just excited to see him on the floor, just moving with the team.''

Even though Oden said he went through the drills at about half-speed, he looked much like the fluid, agile and coordinated big man before his September surgery, when he was considered a can't-miss prospect as the No. 1 overall selection in the 2007 NBA draft.

"It's nice to see him get to this point, and to do it during the season,'' McMillan said. "If he is at this point right now, he should be in good shape come training camp (in October).''

After running through some offensive plays, Oden went to another court and worked one-on-one with assistant coach Maurice Lucas. With Oden on offense taking entry passes from Steve Blake, Lucas pounded the rookie's back with his forearm and slapped at his arms as Oden worked for a shot. Nearly every time, Oden backed Lucas down and finished with a dunk, including one in which he dunked two-handed and slapped the backboard with both hands on his way down, prompting Blake to whistle an imaginary technical.

The one-on-one workout was watched intently by his teammates, and was surprising in the intensity and speed in which Oden went after Lucas. In fact, McMillan said he didn't expect to see Oden jumping and dunking.

"Yeah, I got a couple of dunks, because at the end, coach Luke was just getting out of the way,'' Oden said. "But coach (McMillan) didn't want me to go hard, because I'm not cleared to go all the way hard. It's jut me getting out there and learning the plays. But I'd like to start doing that more often.''

McMillan said the team will continue to bring Oden along slowly, and that there are absolutely no thoughts of having him play this season, no matter how much McMillan can foresee Oden helping a Blazers team that is out-rebounded almost nightly.

"He's a big guy. A really big guy,'' McMillan said. "You look at him compared to LaMarcus (Aldridge). I mean, we talk about needing that bulk, and that size, and ... we have it. We just haven't seen it yet, or been able to use it yet.''

Blake said he insisted on taking over the job of throwing entry passes to Oden because he wanted to establish a connection for next season. And even though Blake said it is hard for him to start thinking about next season amid the team's drive to finish with a winning record, he said Oden's cameo appearance Wednesday will provide a tangible memory.

"He's next year,'' Blake said. "Right now, I'm still focused on this season. But after that last game, then I can let myself start dreaming big again.''

Notes: Center Joel Przybilla did not practice Wednesday but said he will play Thursday against the Kings. Przybilla rolled his right foot in Tuesday's game at Minnesota when he landed on Aldridge's foot. Przybilla did not start the second half against Minnesota, but returned later in the game. "The X-Rays were negative, but it's still all black and blue on the outside of my foot,'' Przybilla said. "But I'll be fine. I'm going to play in all 82 games.''

dirk4mvp
03-13-2008, 12:25 AM
good luck with him hooping some hoops.

ducks
03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
why rush him
should do this after the playoffs
blazers=stupid

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Damn I hope he comes back to full strength. Imagine how much fun the west would have been this year if he'd been healthy.

Matchman
03-13-2008, 12:43 AM
damn the west will be loaded with talents next year

DazedAndConfused
03-13-2008, 12:55 AM
If you thought the west was nuts this year, next year will be just as crazy.

The guard is changing, the Spurs/Mavs/Suns are all on the decline and will not be the top teams next season. We're gonna have the Lakers, Blazers, Rockets, Hornets, and possibly the Warriors rounding out the top of the WC. Meanwhile the aging Spurs (who will prob. have to replace nearly all their role players), Mavs (Kidd old getting older), and Suns (Shaqtus and Nash on the wrong side of 30) will be completely done.

tlongII
03-13-2008, 01:02 AM
why rush him
should do this after the playoffs
blazers=stupid

Actually it's ducks=stupid. :)

Allanon
03-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Oden is an impressive specimen. While Durant will be a good player, I think Oden has the chance to be an all time great. I just hope that surgery didn't ruin his career.

Blazers are already a very impressive team, throw in Oden and you have a Playoff team for years to come.

ratm1221
03-13-2008, 08:40 AM
We had to look at 50 threads all season about how this was Portland's year to win the championship, and that they are the best team. Now that that Portland isn't even going to make the playoffs, we have to see 50 threads about Portland being the #1 team next year? Give me a break.

Oden will be good, if he can stay healthy, but it's not going to be any different than Lebron James being on the Cavaliers.

sribb43
03-13-2008, 09:37 AM
WTF is he practicing...sit Oden why risk anything, even in practice

gmanrulz
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

boutons_
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
go slow.
hurting it again now will bump into next season