PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Screw Up

Indazone
03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Deserving of it's own thread!

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/s...ts-ar47567.html
San Antonio Screw Up: Spurs Made Mistake Trading Luis Scola to Rival Houston Rockets

The AM Take: The San Antonio Spurs are a model of excellence. They win NBA Titles, turn a tidy profit, and their players avoid trouble.

However, they’re not perfect and mistakes happen. Last summer, the Spurs dealt international superstar Luis Scola to the Rockets. Teams in the same conference often exchange assets. But cross-state rivals in the same division hook up for a trade about as frequently as David Stern and Mark Cuban sitting down for a friendly social.

Division rivals typically avoid trading with each other to limit risk. For example, Scola has solidified the four-spot for the red-hot Rockets, helping Houston rattle off nineteen straight wins.

San Antonio’s junk is clearly Houston’s treasure. And the Argentine forward could help the surprising Rockets win the first overall seed in the Western Conference and challenge the Spurs in a seven game playoff series.

Why would the defending champions trade a talent like Scola? And why would they trade him to their Texas rival, the Rockets?

A lack of minutes and cap space forced the Spurs to move Scola. Coach Gregg Popovich felt there weren’t enough opportunities in his front-court to keep the forward happy. Also, signing Scola and paying his buyout fee would be expensive for the cap-conscious club.

San Antonio employed a different philosophy when trading Scola. Once they made the decision to move him, they focused only on getting back the best compensation possible. Where those assets came from didn’t matter.

While I understand why San Antonio traded Scola, it doesn’t excuse helping a rival like Houston. Like I said, even the great Spurs make mistakes. Of course, this mistake could be costly come playoff time.

dirk4mvp
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Spurs Dynasty 21 will be all over this.

hater
03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
this fuckup could cost us dearly

Budkin
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
No shit, we all knew it was a horrible fucking trade when it went down. Nothing we can do now...

DazedAndConfused
03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I just realized the Spurs have actually let a lot of players go that have blossomed elsewhere.

Steven Jackson, Scola, Turkolgu, Udrih

endrity
03-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I just realized the Spurs have actually let a lot of players go that have blossomed elsewhere.

Steven Jackson, Scola, Turkolgu, Udrih

Yeah and Shaq won a 'ship in Miami. Shit happens you know.

Indazone
03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/Spurspics/Bonner-Scola.jpg

RED ROCKET!! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

LEONARD
03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
No team is perfect...

The Spurs passed on JHo...

and got rid of Barbosa...

BonnerDynasty
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll go on the record. Scola would have been a much better pickup than Bonner.

Let mop boy spread the floor.

ratm1221
03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/Spurspics/Bonner-Scola.jpg

RED ROCKET!! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

The only thing that comes to mind when I hear Red Rocket....
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/72/200px-507_cartman_redrocket.gif

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
No team is perfect...

The Spurs passed on JHo...

and got rid of Barbosa...
I think they picked Barbosa for Phoenix since you can't trade picks.

LEONARD
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Technicality...

Cut me some slack...I'm still trying to learn the Spurs history being a new fan and all...

endrity
03-13-2008, 10:56 AM

But it was their pick, and they could have had him had they kept the pick.

Indazone
03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Scola Duncan would have been better than Thomas Duncan

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 11:06 AM
But it was their pick, and they could have had him had they kept the pick.
But if they hadn't made the trade, there's no saying that's the pick they would have made for themselves. The Mavericks picked Robert Traylor, but they'd have picked Dirk if they hadn't had the intention of trading the pick.

remingtonbo2001
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Scola Duncan would have been better than Thomas Duncan

But not better than Splitter/Duncan

OR

Splitter/Parker in the next 5 years.

Indazone
03-13-2008, 11:23 AM

OR

Splitter/Parker in the next 5 years.

That's a bit of a stretch since Splitter isn't known to be any kind of offensive threat. Might be a good defensive player though.

Roxsfan
03-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Every team has the story of the one that got away. This will always happen.

ploto
03-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Spurs could have had all three.

The claim is false that the Spurs traded Scola because they could not afford him when they gave Bonner more than Scola got.

PM5K
03-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Happens all the time in the NBA, how many teams passed on Tony Parker? Ginobili?

You can't be perfect all of the time.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Spurs could have had all three.

The claim is false that the Spurs traded Scola because they could not afford him when they gave Bonner more than Scola got.
I don't think you are correct. At the time, Scola had a prohibitively expensive buyout, right? The Spurs already had money invested in Bonner by the time Scola was affordable. The bottom line is that if Scola hadn't signed that stupid thousand year contract because his agent was in a huff then he'd be a Spur today.

If a rookie backup power forward who can't play defense was going to be the difference the Spurs needed to repeat, then they were screwed all along.

Xylus
03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Every team has the story of the one that got away. This will always happen.
For the Suns: Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Rajon Rondo...

ancestron
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
scola thread!

remingtonbo2001
03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
There was an inside deal between the Rockets and the Spurs, to allow the Spurs to aquire Tiago in the 2007 Draft. In return, the Spurs and Rockets would work out a deal involving Scola. In the minds of the FO an athletic, defensive C was a greater need than an intellegent, but undersized PF. It would have been difficult (not improbible) for Scola to get significant playing time. I think it worked out well for both parties, the Spurs and Scola. The Spurs saved money this season, and added a long-term prospect to their franchise. Scola recieved the opportunity to be a significant contributor on a team desperately trying to get out of the 1st round.

In all reality, Scola would've been a younger Fab. That's nice, but we've got the original. I'll take Splitter gladly.

Indazone
03-13-2008, 02:24 PM
There was an inside deal between the Rockets and the Spurs, to allow the Spurs to aquire Tiago in the 2007 Draft. In return, the Spurs and Rockets would work out a deal involving Scola. In the minds of the FO an athletic, defensive C was a greater need than an intellegent, but undersized PF. It would have been difficult (not improbible) for Scola to get significant playing time. I think it worked out well for both parties, the Spurs and Scola. The Spurs saved money this season, and added a long-term prospect to their franchise. Scola recieved the opportunity to be a significant contributor on a team desperately trying to get out of the 1st round.

In all reality, Scola would've been a younger Fab. That's nice, but we've got the original. I'll take Splitter gladly.

Cept Big Manu is light years ahead of Oberto who is his backup on the Argentine National Team.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Cept Big Manu is light years ahead of Oberto who is his backup on the Argentine National Team.
I thought they were both starters at different positions.

Brutalis
03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Happens all the time in the NBA, how many teams passed on Tony Parker? Ginobili?

You can't be perfect all of the time.
You can't?

Wow. Way to ruin my life.

ducks
03-14-2008, 12:33 AM
get scolo off this spur forum