PDA

View Full Version : At this pace all West teams will be burnt out come playoff time

hater
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Everyone is saying this West playoffs will be great, but I think mostly they will suck. Because teams will be running on fumes by then. Judging by the pace this last part of regular season is going.

and this is a good thing. Spurs are still playing at 1/2 pace and they are still within reach of #1 seed. IMO Spurs will be less burnt out than other teams like Dallas, Suns, Hornets, Denver, Warriors who are fighting with their lives for positioning.

Truth is, if Spurs or Lakers dont' win it all, it will be an East team. A well rested East team in the finals vs. a West team that will have gone through hell to get there? Only Spurs championship experience or Lakers experience/hunger could beat such East team.

Houston is peaking too early and won't get far. With yao, it would have been different.

So don't worry SPur fans, Spurs are doing all according to Pop's master plan. They are beating the weak teams they are supposed to but not overexerting themselves vs. tough teams. SPurs know they don't need home court vs. anybody

my prediction is SPurs will start playoffs in 3,4 or 5 seed. and only teams that have a chance to beat them is an East finalist or Lakers

remingtonbo2001
03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Very good points.

I'm hoping our lackluster play is due to an inconsistant rotation rather than age.

If that's the case, I think the Spurs are in good holding.

xtremesteven33
03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
i like your thinking.....it seems that pop will work his guys on must win games and go so-so on either road games or really good teams....

it sounds smart, but hopefully it works....i just worry come playoff time he will have a solid sound lineup....

i still think barry should start....

DazedAndConfused
03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree, the Spurs are probably feeling the worst of it because of their collective age though.

hater
03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree, the Spurs are probably feeling the worst of it because of their collective age though.

but Spurs are one of the few top West teams that are not going all out every single game right now.

It's funny when TV commentators mention "playoff intensity" in Spurs games

duh, the other team might be playing at playoff intensity, not the spurs

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
The Spurs played better last year before their big layoff. I'm not sure a big wait is good for anyone in the playoffs.

remingtonbo2001
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Giuliani also thought it would be a good idea and wait until Florida.

Look how that turned out.

hater
03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
The Spurs played better last year before their big layoff. I'm not sure a big wait is good for anyone in the playoffs.

because competition and intensity in the West was not even close last year

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Um. Okay.

xtremesteven33
03-13-2008, 10:56 AM

GREAT POINT.......pop knows his guys are aging and they only have on more last run as a whole unit...

next year theyre gonna have to reload....

pietrus or artest im hoping.....

DazedAndConfused
03-13-2008, 11:52 AM
The danger is if you let off the gas too much you might find yourself out of the playoffs. I don't think the Spurs can afford to do that and furthermore I really don't think the Spurs are half-assing it on the court. They are trying hard, something just isn't clicking for them.

lonestr
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
We've seen the Spurs at this point where they will win the games and try not to fall into the trap if desparation just for a tough win this close to the post season. This is Pop's M.O., he never pushes the team for the sake of draining them in a tough game such as the Hornets game last night. Hell, didn't we finish third in our division last season? After the game interviews with Tim and Manu, they gave the Hornets props for their playing effort like it was no big deal. All they said was they needed to bring up their defense a bit more for their next challenge. I knew then and there that the team and Pop were on the same page and not sacrificing health and energy for the sake of the playoffs. We've been winning championships since 1999, these guys know how to "strategery" and get us there. :stirpot:

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
The danger is if you let off the gas too much you might find yourself out of the playoffs. I don't think the Spurs can afford to do that and furthermore I really don't think the Spurs are half-assing it on the court. They are trying hard, something just isn't clicking for them.
They are being outrebounded by 10 a game over the last four games. If that's "trying hard" then they are in trouble.

I don't believe they are in trouble, so I choose to believe that they aren't trying. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
...and this is a good thing. Spurs are still playing at 1/2 pace and they are still within reach of #1 seed. IMO Spurs will be less burnt out than other teams like Dallas, Suns, Hornets, Denver, Warriorswho are fighting with their lives for positioning.

Someone tell Manu.

DazedAndConfused
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I just took a peek at your upcoming schedule and man is it brutal. There are no easy stretches. If the Spurs lose the next 4-5 games they will be at the bottom of the conference. I don't care how experienced the Spurs are, you don't want to go into the playoffs not having HCA in any of the rounds.

Supreme_Being
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
i like your thinking.....it seems that pop will work his guys on must win games and go so-so on either road games or really good teams....

it sounds smart, but hopefully it works....i just worry come playoff time he will have a solid sound lineup....

i still think barry should start....

Fuck man. I love your manu sig.

Obstructed_View
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I just took a peek at your upcoming schedule and man is it brutal. There are no easy stretches. If the Spurs lose the next 4-5 games they will be at the bottom of the conference. I don't care how experienced the Spurs are, you don't want to go into the playoffs not having HCA in any of the rounds.
I'd feel better about them as an 8 seed but healthy and playing good basketball than if they limp in tired and spent as a 1 seed.

urunobili
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Someone tell Manu.
he actually got the message and slowed down a little.... :p:

SpursDynasty
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Houston, New Orleans, and the Lakers are playing out of their minds and are worried about winning streaks and getting homecourt.

The Spurs sit their big three with 6:00 left in the 4th to be safe.

The Spurs don't have to prove anything. Playing against scrubs like New Orleans and Phoenix is not a big deal to them.

Cry Havoc
03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Very good points.

I'm hoping our lackluster play is due to an inconsistant rotation rather than age.

If that's the case, I think the Spurs are in good holding.

I'm pretty sure that a team full of 20 year olds would be tired after 8 games in 11 nights. Ridiculous scheduling.

urunobili
03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
good thread. i do think some teams are peaking way too early... despite looking old and tired... the spurs know when to turn it on and make the extra effort... the message was really evident last night when pop took everybody out of the floor with almost 5 min left... i don;t mind missing shots now... shooters are all streaky... this could just only mean they'll start falling right when it counts the most...