PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles: the biggest, baddest most powerful basketbal empire of them all.

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Kurt Streeter:
Bruins reinforce L.A.'s dominance
Be it the Bruins or the Lakers, no major city can match what we have.
February 24, 2008

Los Angeles is an empire. The biggest, baddest, most powerful basketball empire of them all.

We tend to forget this. We have grown accustomed to thinking the last several decades we've experienced here -- stuffed with genius players, master coaches and scores of titles -- is somehow normal, somehow automatic. As automatic as a Kareem sky hook or a Kevin Love dunk or a Kobe Bryant three-pointer with time ticking off the clock.

In a place where big egos are as common an accessory as hip-hugging jeans and implants, we gloss over our greatness. Maybe it is human nature; the way winning big brings on complacency.

There are moments when we need to catch ourselves. Moments when we need to remember that when it comes to basketball prowess, we are the lucky ones. The Bruins' tight 75-65 victory on Saturday over Oregon -- a game played in the backdrop of the sudden resurgence of the Lakers -- was a beautiful reminder of this.

You feel it -- luck -- sitting there in Pauley Pavilion for an important conference game against a worthy rival. The fans rise and chant and their energy hits the hardwood, rises to the ceiling and then boomerangs back, settling somewhere in your gut.

You see it -- good fortune -- watching the Bruins with their gifts of talent and youth -- Russell Westbrook's slam, Josh Shipp's steal and drive -- all of this on a court shadowed by blue and gold NCAA title banners hanging from the rafters. There's 1964 and 1965. There's 1973 and 1975 and 1995 . . . banner next to banner next to banner.

How many Saturdays have been like this, games with an elite, highly ranked home team tested against a tough challenger?

Too many Saturdays to count. So many that we sometimes forget that in other cities -- in places such as Chicago and San Francisco, New York and Philadelphia -- college games with this kind of magnitude and talent rarely take place.

And Pauley is just the start. You look at what's happening with the Lakers now -- a team on the rise -- and you think, again?

Yes, again. Of course.

You grow up, as I did, in a city such as Seattle and you've got one NBA title and two heroes: Gus Williams and Downtown Freddie Brown.

You grow up in this sun-kissed place and where do you start? 1972 or 1985? 1987 or 2002? Who hangs in your memories? Kareem or Wilt or Shaq? Jerry West or Worthy? Magic or Kobe?

The Lakers might on occasion have lean and fallow seasons. But always they return. Same goes for the Bruins.

They proved on Saturday that they will be a serious force in the NCAA tournament. Not that they are without flaw. When they have the ball they too often play with all the speed and dexterity of a Humvee trapped during rush hour on the San Diego Freeway.

But that defense? Ben Howland's boys know how to lay the hammer down. This is a defense that, when it kicks into high gear as it did late in Saturday's game, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand straight.

While the overall approach might not be aesthetically pleasing it certainly works well enough, and there's a good chance Howland will bring at least another title to LA.

In Boston, how can they match this? The Celtics are fantastic and fun once more. But where do you go when you are done with them, what college team do you watch on Saturdays? Boston College? Harvard?

Same goes for New York, Chicago, Philly and all of the others. They've all had moments of greatness. They've had Michael Jordan and Dr. J. They've had Loyola in 1963 and Villanova 23 years back. Greatness, in drips and drabs.

If anything, L.A.'s true challengers are smaller cities of the south and Midwest. I'm thinking of Durham and Lexington and Memphis and Knoxville. A team from one of those towns may well win an NCAA title this season. Kudos to them, at least they provide the Bruins worthy competition. None of these towns will lift an NBA banner in our lifetime.

We can always ship them the Clippers.

But maybe the Clippers are good for us. Same goes for Trojans' basketball. The Clippers and Trojans are reminders that winning big -- year after year, decade after decade, college and pro -- is neither normal nor automatic.

And maybe, on occasion, we need to count our blessings and find ways to remind ourselves what the Lakers and Bruins have made Los Angeles: the biggest, baddest basketball empire around.

Pauley Pavilion on a Saturday should do the trick.

Kurt Streeter can be reached at [email protected]. To read previous columns by Streeter, go to latimes.com/streeter.

clambake
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
the laker empire was born in minnesota. props to the twin cities!

BUMP
03-14-2008, 01:10 PM
who wrote this? Shakespeare?

but seriously it kinda makes sense. i think its a little far to call them an "empire," but i see what he's getting at. but whats the point of writing this?

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM

but seriously it kinda makes sense. i think its a little far to call them an "empire," but i see what he's getting at. but whats the point of writing this?

Looks like someone pissed him off and he felt like telling it like it is!
:lol

ChumpDumper
03-14-2008, 01:19 PM

but seriously it kinda makes sense. i think its a little far to call them an "empire," but i see what he's getting at. but whats the point of writing this?Writing fluff pieces to help fill a page and get a paycheck is a staple of sports columnists.

N4th4n
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
This was annoying. I had to stop to brush the vomit out of my teeth half way through.

Gino
03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Where's L.A.?

Who are the Lakers?

Trainwreck2100
03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Love the metaphor, empire's always crumble over the weight of their own hubris

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Writing fluff pieces to help fill a page and get a paycheck is a staple of sports columnists.

That's pretty much what this article is.

Maybe he should point out when the Bruins and Lakers have gotten the benefit of the ref's whistles to validate his argument. (The Trojans joined that crew last night with the terrible call against ASU.)

I can think of three instances: Kobe Bryant elbowing Mike Bibby, UCLA vs. Cal 2008, and UCLA vs. Stanford 2008 where the "empire" was in jeopardy if not for the zebras.

Gino
03-14-2008, 01:50 PM
What means this "L.A.?"

Medvedenko
03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
There's no lakes in LA......

baseline bum
03-14-2008, 02:00 PM

Maybe he should point out when the Bruins and Lakers have gotten the benefit of the ref's whistles to validate his argument. (The Trojans joined that crew last night with the terrible call against ASU.)

I can think of three instances: Kobe Bryant elbowing Mike Bibby, UCLA vs. Cal 2008, and UCLA vs. Stanford 2008 where the "empire" was in jeopardy if not for the zebras.

Blow me. Stanford got away with an obvious charge on the basket that put them up two on the possession before the make-up foul call.

Cry Havoc
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
In Boston, how can they match this? The Celtics are fantastic and fun once more. But where do you go when you are done with them, what college team do you watch on Saturdays? Boston College? Harvard?

Interesting point. I guess you could counter it by saying, you know, people in those cities actually care about things other than sports, so they're probably doing something to enrich their lives (esp. this close to St. Patties :drunk) or an activity that doesn't involve sports. I know that's hard to believe that there are other things in life for an asshole like the moron who wrote this article, but the fact remains.

It took the greatest player in the history of the game (and maybe all of sports) to get Chicago to get amped about basketball. I guess maybe, just maybe, there is more to life than having a "basketball empire". :dizzy

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Blow me. Stanford got away with an obvious charge on the basket that put them up two on the possession before the make-up foul call.

There's not an easier call in basketball than calling a violation on the "over the backboard" shot.

In fact, as a high school official, they train you to realize that play is illegal and show the Larry Bird clip where the official correctly rules a turnover.

Still, Shipp made an amazing shot.

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Bibby should have got off him! That's what happens when players get you off of them and Cal certainly proved there was reasons to think they were the better team and the ref's robbed them by getting beat down yesterday! :rolleyes

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Sure there's lakes in LA. South Central has a Lake!

:fro

Purple & Gold
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't pay Ron no mind. He just hates everything Cali related. Bad case of penis envy.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't pay Ron no mind. He just hates everything Cali related. Bad case of penis envy.

I'm not even envious of the vagina you have there... please keep all of your flashy shit.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Bibby should have got off him! That's what happens when players get you off of them and Cal certainly proved there was reasons to think they were the better team and the ref's robbed them by getting beat down yesterday! :rolleyes

I'm not saying Cal is good.

I'm saying that's an easy call.

As it was also an easy call when Pendergraph didn't go over the back yesterday.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Sure there's lakes in LA. South Central has a Lake!

The La Brea Tar Pits don't count!

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Interesting point. I guess you could counter it by saying, you know, people in those cities actually care about things other than sports, so they're probably doing something to enrich their lives (esp. this close to St. Patties :drunk) or an activity that doesn't involve sports. I know that's hard to believe that there are other things in life for an asshole like the moron who wrote this article, but the fact remains.

It took the greatest player in the history of the game (and maybe all of sports) to get Chicago to get amped about basketball. I guess maybe, just maybe, there is more to life than having a "basketball empire". :dizzy

:dizzy We're talking about LA here, not Utah!

I guess the fact that CHICAGO DID get amped once they got a winner accounts for nothing? Of course city's would like to have a champion, when they do not, that's when they find other things to do

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 02:44 PM
The La Brea Tar Pits don't count!

:lmao

baseline bum
03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, there's nothing to do in LA. I wish we could match Boston's skiing, beaches, and bitches.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm not even envious of the vagina you have there... please keep all of your flashy shit.

Ohhh Ron you so funny. :elephant

Face it you hate everything Cali related because it shits all over Arizona in every way. That's why it's so sweet to see the suns and their whiny fans lose the last game of the season year in and year out. And the built in excuses that you guys use every single year always give me a good laugh.

DazedAndConfused
03-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Even I can admit that was a pretty poorly written article.

Tradition
03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Kurt Streeter:

The Lakers might on occasion have lean and fallow seasons. But always they return.

QFT!

What is amazing is even the first season after the Summer 04 implosion, the Lakers were a serious playoff contender. They were very unstable with coaching and did not have much of a system. Injuries, chemistry, Rudy T leaving and all, they were right there in the playoff race until late in the year. Kobe had trust issues with his teamates etc etc. That is was the worst part on rebuilding this team. Phil Jackson returns the next season with a year to recharge and they make it back to the playoffs. 2 and a half years and Phil comes back to a rebuilding team....BOOM they make it back as the most hated team in basketball. The Lakers dont suck for long. Best franchise in NBA History. :)

Purple & Gold
03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Best franchise in NBA History. :)

Easily

Extra Stout
03-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Face it you hate everything Cali related because it shits all over Arizona in every way. That's why it's so sweet to see the suns and their whiny fans lose the last game of the season year in and year out. And the built in excuses that you guys use every single year always give me a good laugh.
I've noticed in Phoenix the enormous penis envy they have for all things California. They love everything California has and want to be Californians, and also hate California because they don't have those things and aren't Californians.

I swear, it's like the collective psychology of Phoenix is to be somebody's bitch in each aspect of life.

Purple & Gold
03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I swear, it's like the collective psychology of Phoenix is to be somebody's bitch in each aspect of life.

:lol :lol I couldn't have said it better myself.

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I've noticed in Phoenix the enormous penis envy they have for all things California. They love everything California has and want to be Californians, and also hate California because they don't have those things and aren't Californians.

Ouch!

:lmao

Gino
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Actually L.A. has been Phoenix's bitch the last few years. The Suns have eliminated the Lakers twice and the Clippers in the last two seasons.

LocosPorJuana
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
the bigger the empire, the bigger the fall.

Indazone
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Kurt Streeter:
Bruins reinforce L.A.'s dominance
Be it the Bruins or the Lakers, no major city can match what we have.
February 24, 2008

Los Angeles is an empire. The biggest, baddest, most powerful basketball empire of them all.

We tend to forget this. We have grown accustomed to thinking the last several decades we've experienced here -- stuffed with genius players, master coaches and scores of titles -- is somehow normal, somehow automatic. As automatic as a Kareem sky hook or a Kevin Love dunk or a Kobe Bryant three-pointer with time ticking off the clock.

In a place where big egos are as common an accessory as hip-hugging jeans and implants, we gloss over our greatness. Maybe it is human nature; the way winning big brings on complacency.

There are moments when we need to catch ourselves. Moments when we need to remember that when it comes to basketball prowess, we are the lucky ones. The Bruins' tight 75-65 victory on Saturday over Oregon -- a game played in the backdrop of the sudden resurgence of the Lakers -- was a beautiful reminder of this.

You feel it -- luck -- sitting there in Pauley Pavilion for an important conference game against a worthy rival. The fans rise and chant and their energy hits the hardwood, rises to the ceiling and then boomerangs back, settling somewhere in your gut.

You see it -- good fortune -- watching the Bruins with their gifts of talent and youth -- Russell Westbrook's slam, Josh Shipp's steal and drive -- all of this on a court shadowed by blue and gold NCAA title banners hanging from the rafters. There's 1964 and 1965. There's 1973 and 1975 and 1995 . . . banner next to banner next to banner.

How many Saturdays have been like this, games with an elite, highly ranked home team tested against a tough challenger?

Too many Saturdays to count. So many that we sometimes forget that in other cities -- in places such as Chicago and San Francisco, New York and Philadelphia -- college games with this kind of magnitude and talent rarely take place.

And Pauley is just the start. You look at what's happening with the Lakers now -- a team on the rise -- and you think, again?

Yes, again. Of course.

You grow up, as I did, in a city such as Seattle and you've got one NBA title and two heroes: Gus Williams and Downtown Freddie Brown.

You grow up in this sun-kissed place and where do you start? 1972 or 1985? 1987 or 2002? Who hangs in your memories? Kareem or Wilt or Shaq? Jerry West or Worthy? Magic or Kobe?

The Lakers might on occasion have lean and fallow seasons. But always they return. Same goes for the Bruins.

They proved on Saturday that they will be a serious force in the NCAA tournament. Not that they are without flaw. When they have the ball they too often play with all the speed and dexterity of a Humvee trapped during rush hour on the San Diego Freeway.

But that defense? Ben Howland's boys know how to lay the hammer down. This is a defense that, when it kicks into high gear as it did late in Saturday's game, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand straight.

While the overall approach might not be aesthetically pleasing it certainly works well enough, and there's a good chance Howland will bring at least another title to LA.

Same goes for New York, Chicago, Philly and all of the others. They've all had moments of greatness. They've had Michael Jordan and Dr. J. They've had Loyola in 1963 and Villanova 23 years back. Greatness, in drips and drabs.

If anything, L.A.'s true challengers are smaller cities of the south and Midwest. I'm thinking of Durham and Lexington and Memphis and Knoxville. A team from one of those towns may well win an NCAA title this season. Kudos to them, at least they provide the Bruins worthy competition. None of these towns will lift an NBA banner in our lifetime.

We can always ship them the Clippers.

But maybe the Clippers are good for us. Same goes for Trojans' basketball. The Clippers and Trojans are reminders that winning big -- year after year, decade after decade, college and pro -- is neither normal nor automatic.

And maybe, on occasion, we need to count our blessings and find ways to remind ourselves what the Lakers and Bruins have made Los Angeles: the biggest, baddest basketball empire around.

Pauley Pavilion on a Saturday should do the trick.

Kurt Streeter can be reached at [email protected]. To read previous columns by Streeter, go to latimes.com/streeter.

Don't even have to read this. Laker Homer and Hata of all not wearing Purple and Gold.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 05:06 PM

It's ironic, too that so many people flee the high-priced, smog-infested air of California (3 of the top 4 worst metro areas according to this week's EPA report) and come to Arizona.

So ironic that we try to get rid of them as best we can, but their terrible drivers continue to litter our streets.

DazedAndConfused
03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
California > Arizona.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Actually, that's completely untrue. Our hatred of LA and California has a lot less to do with envy and a lot more to do with disgust.

Do you hate Dallas and their fans out of envy? I don't think so. It's a similar view in Phoenix - we hate the "fans" in Staples who go to games to be noticed much like the bandwagoners in Cuban-land.

Arizona has also traditionally been a Republican state which leads to battles with California's leftist tendencies. We also hold a decent claim on the water in the Colorado River (since it runs through our greatest natural wonder), but those in CA think they're a little more entitled to it. For reasons why they think so, I think the solipsistic tone of this article is evidence enough.

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
the bigger the empire, the bigger the fall.

That's the point the author is making, LA empire never falls! We've been the biggest empire for decades and are still going strong!

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE! Makes you appreciate what you have and to not take it for granted.

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Don't even have to read this. Laker Homer and Hata of all not wearing Purple and Gold.

You talking about me? Is that who you're talking about? :makemyday

LakeShow
03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
It's ironic, too that so many people flee the high-priced, smog-infested air of California (3 of the top 4 worst metro areas according to this week's EPA report) and come to Arizona.

So ironic that we try to get rid of them as best we can, but their terrible drivers continue to litter our streets.

Bullshit! They flee California because of the high property value. Why else would anyone move out into the desert? Arizona is ok, but extremely hot and humid. It is why you have so many take the drive to California just to breathe the smog infested air! I visited Phoenix one summer, didn't do anything but stay in the house under the air conditioning. It was unbearable even to some of your long time residents.

word
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
This is like OU in college football writing about hey great all those championships in the 50's are. There should be a cutoff date that banners have to be stored in a box in the basement. Otherwise, go YALE !!!

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Bullshit! They flee California because of the high property value. Why else would anyone move out into the desert? Arizona is ok, but extremely hot and humid. It is why you have so many take the drive to California just to breathe the smog infested air! I visited Phoenix one summer, didn't do anything but stay in the house under the air conditioning. It was unbearable even to some of your long time residents.

You're right... the incredible humidity of the desert.

And this is why we don't like ignorant people from California....

Brutalis
03-15-2008, 12:36 AM

words on steroids right there

Indazone
03-15-2008, 03:44 AM
See you guys on Sunday!

SpursDynasty
03-15-2008, 04:06 AM
What's sad is no one can name a Rocket outside of McGrady, Yao, and Scola (for Spurs fans)

freemeat
03-15-2008, 04:16 AM
The L.A. Raiders are going to win the Super Bowl, too!

freemeat
03-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Overall, I like California...

But Los Angeles is disgusting.

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oceanography-book/Images/LA-smog-2.jpg
http://www.folar.org/ns/admin/calendar/EventPics/21_Th_RiverCarTourFoLARFriendsofLosAngelesRiver.jp g
http://www.lasplash.com/uploads/2/Los_Angeles_Dog_Beach-11.jpg

RonMexico
03-15-2008, 10:54 AM
But freemeat... they're so progressive in their environmentalism. How could they let this happen in their city?

genomefreak13
03-15-2008, 11:00 AM
This guy probably haven't heard of the Boston Celtics , Bill Russel, Bob Cousy, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett :drunk

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Dunno about the Fakers, but UCLA is my pick to win it all in the NCAA Tournament... :toast

Indazone
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I like the Clippers..but the Lakers...nah!

dirk4mvp
03-15-2008, 11:18 AM
This guy probably haven't heard of the Boston Celtics , Bill Russel, Bob Cousy, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett :drunk

What has Kevin Garnett won as a Celtic?

dirk4mvp
03-15-2008, 11:20 AM
The Celtics may have a few more titles than the Lakers, but there has never been a team more consistently great than the Lakers.

dirk4mvp
03-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Oh hell, I need to take a shower after saying something that dirty.

genomefreak13
03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
The Celtics may have a few more titles than the Lakers, but there has never been a team more consistently great than the Lakers.

It's not only the number of Titles that made Boston a greater dynasty than the lakers. The fact that they got consecutive championship for over a decade means that they're the most consistently dominant team for a long period of time. Being a dynasty is determined by the number of Titles won - NOT just their consistency in winning games.

What has Kevin Garnett won as a Celtic?

I just put Garnett names there to emphasize the writer's ignorance of the Celtics.

Indazone
03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
What the Chicago Bulls? lol

Purple & Gold
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM

The smog ain't nearly as bad as it was. Thankfully we've been doing something about it to clean it up. Huge job, but we ain't getting any help from the govt.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2008, 11:48 AM
But freemeat... they're so progressive in their environmentalism. How could they let this happen in their city?

Because of dickhead repubs that won't even allow us to clean up the environment. They won't even let us put stricter rules on vehicle fuel standards. But of course ron over here and his repub buddies like to wipe their hands clean, while they stop progress at the cost of the environment.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM

It's ironic because nobody wants to leave to Arizona, they do because they have no choice. Sometimes ron you can't always do what you want, little things like being able to afford rent and food are important to lots of people. Not everybody was born with a silver spoon in their mouth ron. I know that might be a little difficult for you to understand, but there are many people out there that do struggle. You can thank the great job your repub buddies did fucking up this economy for why people have to leave to the 115 degree Arizona weather in the shade.

Purple & Gold
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM

I know that hurt, but the truth will set you free.

baseline bum
03-15-2008, 12:04 PM

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oceanography-book/Images/LA-smog-2.jpg

You do know that picture you posted is more than 20 years old, right? Notice the missing US Bank Tower above...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/DowntownLosAngeles.jpg/800px-DowntownLosAngeles.jpg

Purple & Gold
03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
You do know that picture you posted is more than 20 years old, right? Notice the missing US Bank Tower above...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/DowntownLosAngeles.jpg/800px-DowntownLosAngeles.jpg

Don't let the facts get in the way with these guys. They love to live in their own little delusional world, where everything is better than Cali. :dramaquee

blah28
03-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Is this some to be state smack of Arizona vs California? There is absolutely nothing that Arizona has over California! Unless you are talking about worse weather conditions.

LakeShow
03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
You're right... the incredible humidity of the desert.

And this is why we don't like ignorant people from California....

Well what ever the fuck you call it that shit is unhealthy. It's so hot you can't fucking breathe. You have more problems that just the low income Californians in your area. You have low income family's from all over the world moving to arizona. Why else would someone move to the fucking desert. Apparantly you are all one of the same for those low income family's in California to affect you. Why don't you just move out of your trailor park and move to another area to avoid those people you find disgusting? I live in Diamond bar where I see no signs of the mean streets of LA. I'm sure arizona has better areas.

Living in Arizona is like living in hell.

RonMexico
03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you're right - only Arizona has a higher cost of living than the national average. I'm sure lots of people move there to save money.

RonMexico
03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
It's ironic because nobody wants to leave to Arizona.

You're right, because once they move here, they don't want to leave.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Because of dickhead repubs that won't even allow us to clean up the environment. They won't even let us put stricter rules on vehicle fuel standards. But of course ron over here and his repub buddies like to wipe their hands clean, while they stop progress at the cost of the environment.
The above is brought to you by the "reasons why the rest of the country are glad they don't live in California" foundation.

RonMexico
03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
I also like that they're my "repub" buddies, even though I've never discussed my political affiliation.

Hey, P&G - how do you think that Battier trade worked out now? I don't think Rudy Gay would have shut down Kobe.

BUMP
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Houston right now is the biggest, baddest most powerful basketball empire of them all and they just proved it to LA

Obstructed_View
03-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Los Angeles: the biggest, baddest most powerful basketbal (sic) empire in southern California.

:lmao :lmao

Vinnie_Johnson
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
The smog ain't nearly as bad as it was. Thankfully we've been doing something about it to clean it up. Huge job, but we ain't getting any help from the govt.

Ha Ha not so bad. :lol

Signed Riverside

Purple & Gold
03-16-2008, 10:21 PM
The above is brought to you by the "reasons why the rest of the country are glad they don't live in California" foundation.

And this is why I'm ashamed of sharing the same country with some of these neanderthals.

Cause God forbid that people want to cut down on pollution and get more MPG out of their car. It's not like oil is some type of precious commodity that countries go to war over :rolleyes

Honestly some people in this country should just shut the fuck up and think of more than just themselves and how entitled they think they are to fuck this world up. Can't believe how some people think better emissions and fuel consumption are a bad thing. Selfish fucks.

Purple & Gold
03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I also like that they're my "repub" buddies, even though I've never discussed my political affiliation.

Hey, P&G - how do you think that Battier trade worked out now? I don't think Rudy Gay would have shut down Kobe.

Who you trying to fool ron?? I know you wanna distance yourself from your repub buddies, but at least own up. Now if you wanna say you were wrong and that you've seen the error in your ways and you've changed your opinion on things then that's fine, but don't pretend you're not or were not some type of conservative douche. Come clean instead of backtracking to protect your "internet persona".

As for Battier I knew you'd have your legs wide open after this game :lol :lol

He played a very good game, but I wouldn't exactly say he shut Kobe down. And for whatever reason you still don't understand that while Battier is a good player he is nowhere near the player that Gay will be. Especially taking into account that Houston's two best players are always hurt and he would have fit in perfectly as one of their replacements when they inevitably end up in street clothes come playoff time year after year. But go ahead and keep thinking that teams play 82 games for the hope of a 22 game winning streak and not a trophy in June. :wakeup

DazedAndConfused
03-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I think Battier fits in better with what the HOU team needs than Gay would.

lefty
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM

You forgot Britney Spears' pee-o-rama on the Sunset Strip

Purple & Gold
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I think Battier fits in better with what the HOU team needs than Gay would.

That's if T-Mac and Yao were dependable.

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 09:09 AM
As a moderate individual who has openly supported McCain's less partisan platform for many years, I'm not trying to "distance" myself from anyone. I've had the same beliefs I always did on here: disappointment with the super right and disgust with the super left.

DaDakota
03-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Ron,

Off topic, but I friggen love your moniker.....by any chance do you game on the ATF servers?

DD

LakeShow
03-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Los Angeles: the biggest, baddest most powerful basketbal (sic) empire in southern California.

:lmao :lmao
Spurs fans are full of shit. First to holler that a regular season loss means nothing when they lose but have a parade when others lose in that same regular season. :rolleyes The way they've been sucking the place up I wouldn't laugh at anyone! but anyway,

LA is the Place!

UCLA men's basketball has set several NCAA records.

11 NCAA titles
7 consecutive NCAA titles (1967-1973)
13 NCAA title game appearances
17 Final Four appearances
10 consecutive Final Four appearances (1967-1976)
26 Final Four wins
38 game NCAA Tournament winning streak (1964-1974)
134 weeks ranked #1 in AP Top 25 Poll
221 consecutive weeks ranked in AP Top 25 Poll (1966-1980)
54 consecutive winning seasons (1949-2002)
88 game regular season winning streak (1971-1974)

Owner Jerry Buss
General manager Mitch Kupchak
Head coach Phil Jackson
D-League affiliate Los Angeles D-Fenders
Championships NBL: 1 (1948)
BAA/NBA: 14 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002)
Conference titles 28 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004)
Division titles NBL: 1 (1948)
NBA: 26 (1951, 1953, 1954, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2004)
Official website

The Los Angeles Lakers are a National Basketball Association (NBA) team based in Los Angeles, California.

:hat

Purple & Gold
03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
As a moderate individual who has openly supported McCain's less partisan platform for many years, I'm not trying to "distance" myself from anyone. I've had the same beliefs I always did on here: disappointment with the super right and disgust with the super left.

I know you love to hold the "moderate" mantra close to your chest, but I think this sums it all up quite clearly. "Disappointment with the super right and disgust with the super left". Sounds like a card carrying repub to me.

But I will admit McCain is the least despicable of all the repubs out there.

Purple & Gold
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Spurs fans are full of shit. First to holler that a regular season loss means nothing when they lose but have a parade when others lose in that same regular season. :rolleyes The way they've been sucking the place up I wouldn't laugh at anyone! but anyway,

LA is the Place!

UCLA men's basketball has set several NCAA records.

11 NCAA titles
7 consecutive NCAA titles (1967-1973)
13 NCAA title game appearances
17 Final Four appearances
10 consecutive Final Four appearances (1967-1976)
26 Final Four wins
38 game NCAA Tournament winning streak (1964-1974)
134 weeks ranked #1 in AP Top 25 Poll
221 consecutive weeks ranked in AP Top 25 Poll (1966-1980)
54 consecutive winning seasons (1949-2002)
88 game regular season winning streak (1971-1974)

Owner Jerry Buss
General manager Mitch Kupchak
Head coach Phil Jackson
D-League affiliate Los Angeles D-Fenders
Championships NBL: 1 (1948)
BAA/NBA: 14 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002)
Conference titles 28 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004)
Division titles NBL: 1 (1948)
NBA: 26 (1951, 1953, 1954, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2004)
Official website

The Los Angeles Lakers are a National Basketball Association (NBA) team based in Los Angeles, California.

It's pretty much a nobrainer on which city is the basketball mecca. :clap :clap :clap

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I know you love to hold the "moderate" mantra close to your chest, but I think this sums it all up quite clearly. "Disappointment with the super right and disgust with the super left". Sounds like a card carrying repub to me.

But I will admit McCain is the least despicable of all the repubs out there.

He's also been my favorite. Arnold is pretty good too and I think he's done quality things for the state of California.

I have "disappointment" with the super right because they could be more like McCain and Arnold. Both of those guys are more like Barry Goldwater, who's "Conscience of a Conservative" describes a type of Republican that doesn't exist anymore.

But the super left is hypocritically attempting to institute some form of socialism in present-day America and their radical attempts to do so are unsettling.

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
P.S. Hillary Clinton was a "Goldwater Girl" during his presidential campaign in the 60's.

Obstructed_View
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
And this is why I'm ashamed of sharing the same country with some of these neanderthals.

Cause God forbid that people want to cut down on pollution and get more MPG out of their car. It's not like oil is some type of precious commodity that countries go to war over :rolleyes

Honestly some people in this country should just shut the fuck up and think of more than just themselves and how entitled they think they are to fuck this world up. Can't believe how some people think better emissions and fuel consumption are a bad thing. Selfish fucks.
Yeah, people in California need to cut down on pollution because of all those polluting bicycles they ride everywhere.

When you fucking hypocrites start riding the fucking bus to work come whine to the rest of the country about why your state is so filthy. In the meantime you can buy some carbon credits to salve your conscience.

DazedAndConfused
03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, people in California need to cut down on pollution because of all those polluting bicycles they ride everywhere.

When you fucking hypocrites start riding the fucking bus to work come whine to the rest of the country about why your state is so filthy. In the meantime you can buy some carbon credits to salve your conscience.

Have you been to Southern California? It's not really a place where public transportation makes a lot of sense. Too spread out.

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Have you been to Southern California? It's not really a place where public transportation makes a lot of sense. Too spread out.

And all the primadonnas out there need to drive their own cars because they're too "good" for public transport.

Don't forget that you guys have a subway system in Southern Cal...

DazedAndConfused
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
And all the primadonnas out there need to drive their own cars because they're too "good" for public transport.

Trust me more people would use public transportation if it made sense. Everything in Socal is just too spread out, especially if you live in the suburbs. Don't buy into that stereotypical bullshit.

LakeShow
03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
You are so correct about everything being so spead out. I tried the metro rail for a few years going to work only to beat the traffic. I even rode it to Riverside county before. I did have to catch a bus after riding the rail which was a bit of an inconvenience. Off of work I've never riden one nor would I. I would have to have it drop me off at home. With the constant visitors and traffic it is understandable why we have issues with smog. Most visitors stay for awhile unlike Places like Arizona that only get visitors to see the Grand Canyon and quickly get out of there. :) California is the 2nd most visited state in America by americans and tourist.

http://www.californiatravelnews.com/ctnmain.JPG http://www.aznews.us/the_te21.jpg

2. Los Angeles, Calif.
58.6 million (25.4 million overnight + 33.2 estimated day visitors); 25.5 million rooms sold; score: 4.22

Hollywood starlight, a host of high-profile sports franchises and the eternal sunshine of Pacific beaches are among the charms that bring tens of millions of visitors to this Southern California metropolis. It doesn’t hurt that Disneyland is a short drive away—and creates a city ranking all by itself (see #13). Its overnight visitors can be measured, but because of its sprawl, its day visitors had to be estimated using relative weighted averages.

LakeShow
03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
:spless: Texas AM put a scare into the bruins but the bruins came thru to extend LA's weekends of big games. Now lets go Lakers! :toast

Purple & Gold
03-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Do you even know what you're talking about? The State of California can't try to curb pollution or get better MPG because everybody doesn't ride a bike or take a bus to work?? :dramaquee

Again nothing but a selfish fuck that only cares about himself. If you knew even a little bit about anything, you would know that it's a good thing what Cali is trying to do. But since you only care about your wallet you could care less about what happens to the environment.

Purple & Gold
03-23-2008, 07:12 PM

You have no clue of what you're talking about. The subway system sucks in L.A. It takes 2 hours to get somewhere that should only take 20 minutes (rush hour or no rush hour). If it would go more places and not take forever many more people would use it. Facts are it's a poor setup and not an option for many people.

Purple & Gold
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
:spless: Texas AM put a scare into the bruins but the bruins came thru to extend LA's weekends of big games. Now lets go Lakers! :toast

Western Kentucky up next. Let's go UCLA :clap :clap :clap

http://cosida.com/logos/CA/UCLA-Color.jpg

RonMexico
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
You have no clue of what you're talking about. The subway system sucks in L.A. It takes 2 hours to get somewhere that should only take 20 minutes (rush hour or no rush hour). If it would go more places and not take forever many more people would use it. Facts are it's a poor setup and not an option for many people.

Well, then get off your environmental high-horse.

I will say the same thing about public transport in Houston. I like driving my car, but I have to commute far every day and I would much rather ride in a train or bus and read/listen to music instead of getting worked up by crappy drivers all day.

Purple & Gold
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, then get off your environmental high-horse.

I will say the same thing about public transport in Houston. I like driving my car, but I have to commute far every day and I would much rather ride in a train or bus and read/listen to music instead of getting worked up by crappy drivers all day.

Environmental high-horse?? I didn't realize trying to cut fuel emissions and getting better MPG was being on an environmental high-horse. :rolleyes

Facts are public transportation sucks in Southern Cali, L.A. and San Diego both. It was poorly set up from the start. A main issue all the time is how to make public transportation better/more feasible/time efficient for everybody. It's a big job but Cali is working on it. But I don't see how this excludes the State of California from trying to make improvements to fuel consumption. You make it sound like it's a bad thing. :reading

Don Quixote
03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
What means this "L.A.?"

It stands for Louisiana. And we have a ton of lakes.

LakeShow
03-24-2008, 01:40 AM
It stands for Louisiana. And we have a ton of lakes.

California has a ton of lakes too! Los Angeles county has 2, one in South Central and one in Baldwin Hills.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-24-2008, 01:48 AM
California has a ton of lakes too! Los Angeles county has 2, one in South Central and one in Baldwin Hills.

You're not seriously counting Legg Lake down in Whitter Narrows, are you?

LakeShow
03-24-2008, 01:58 AM

:lol Is that the name of it? I don't recall the name but it's located between Avalon and Central off of 120th street. They fish and boat there. Same with Baldwin HIlls park.

Okay, they're man made, but they're still lakes! :)

LakeShow
03-24-2008, 02:31 AM

I tried to google it and came up empty. I wonder if it's still a lake? I haven't been that way in years. They may have gotten tired of taking bodies out of the lake. :lol I'm just kidding, they don't do that there.

Killakobe81
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Lakers and Bruins I am loving life right now ...

Indazone
03-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Not so big and bad today are we?

:D

SAtown
03-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Jinx

Indazone
03-25-2008, 12:27 AM
bleah! Jinx is right however it still doesn't take away that the Warriors the current 8 seed took it right at them.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 12:51 AM
bleah! Jinx is right however it still doesn't take away that the Warriors the current 8 seed took it right at them.

:sleep :sleep

LakeShow
03-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Jinx

I was worried it might have been for the Bruin game but it wasn't, so no jinx thread here.

:smokin

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
The Bruins can't be stopped..Howland is finally going to bring a title to Westwood!

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/03/23/image3960249.jpg

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 01:09 AM
that was one scary game...thank goodness they pulled it out; it would have been such a huge dissappointment if they lost in the second round of the NCAA!

Did you go to UCLA too?

No, but I got tons of family that did. Been rooting for them since before I can remember. That also didn't stop me from partying with them hot UCLA girls. :hungry: :hungry:

UV Ray
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
the laker empire was born in minnesota. props to the twin cities!

Who can turn the world on with a smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?

hater
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Bump!!!

the empire just lost to the Bobcats :lmao

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Better than losing to the Nuggets, 76ers, Allen-less Celtics, Hornets, and Shaq-Suns team with a FULL HEALTHY SQUAD. That is pathetic. The Spurs have yet to beat a quality team that wasn't hampered with severe injuries (no dirk, no hedo+nelson).

When the Lakers get their STARTERS back they will dominate. The Spurs have absolutely no excuse for why they suck and continue to shoot 24% from the field for an entire half.

himat
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
When the Lakers get their STARTERS back they will dominate.

You are worse than D'Antoni. Just stop.

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Shutup himat you bitch. Don't be mad because the Pistons just lost to the fucking Raptors.

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Shutup himat you bitch. Don't be mad because the Pistons just lost to the fucking Raptors.

Yeah, don't be mad because the Spurs just lost to the fucking Clippers...oh, wait... :lol

Purple & Gold
03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gifhttp://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/nbatrophy.gif

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Lakers since 2002...

http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/zero.0.jpg

Purple & Gold
03-27-2008, 12:21 AM
:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

Lakers will win Team of the Decade again!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant

Let me know once your team learns how to defend a title :p:

nkdlunch
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
face it Lakerfans this is the begining of the Laker's 2008 meltdown. good luck in 2009

TampaDude
03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Lakers will win Team of the Decade again!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant

Let me know once your team learns how to defend a title :p:

Talk to me again in June... :p:

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 10:56 AM
face it Lakerfans this is the begining of the Laker's 2008 meltdown. good luck in 2009

Of course only a Spur's fan would talk shit about the Lakers when they are so injury depleted. You guys are like clockwork. When the Lakers are winning beating UTAH and DAL on the road you fuckers are nowhere to be found.

I'd be more worried about the Spurs if I were you.....at full strength and still can't beat a quality WC opponent. Losing 4 straight to good teams and almost losing to the Clappers at home are not the signs of a championship team.

Indazone
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Lakers still lack the on ingredient to take them all the way. Chemistry.

Know what? Lakers will never have it cause they got that crybaby Kobe Bryant pissing everyone else off.

DazedAndConfused
03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Lakers still lack the on ingredient to take them all the way. Chemistry.

Know what? Lakers will never have it cause they got that crybaby Kobe Bryant pissing everyone else off.

Actually chemistry is what makes the Laker bench as good as it is. Turiaf, Walton, Farmar, and Sasha are not great individual players but they play excellent team ball which enables them to stomp all over other team's 2nd units. It's the reason why the Lakers have won games on the road against DAL, UTAH, and GSW so undermanned.

The chemistry between the starters will be suspect because of the all the injuries and lack of time to gel together. Not because of Kobe Bryant.

LakeShow
03-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Love's career-high 29 help UCLA hang on, advance to Elite Eight

More than i can remember! I Luv L.A!

Trainwreck2100
03-28-2008, 01:48 AM
empires always crumble over the weight of their own hubris

LakeShow
03-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100

empires always crumble over the weight of their own hubris

LA Empire will never crumble!

1 2 T
XAV (30-7) 24 33 57
UCLA (35-3) 33 43 76

baseline bum
03-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Damn, I hope Shipp can find his game in SA. Nice effort from Luc tonight!

LakeShow
04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I would really like for Shipp to be on his game In SA. His contributions have been sorely missed. We need for him to step up this weekend.

Kyvy1Ma5VDU

LakeShow
04-05-2008, 04:41 PM
LET'S GO BRUINS!

Tough game today but thanks UCLA for extending our saturday games to the Max for the third straight year!

manufor3
04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Ucla

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
WTF is Howland doing? He keeps taking Love out for these 30 second intervals and putting that worthless stiff Keefe in which lets Memphis push the lead out further. He needs to shorten those rotations in the 2nd half.

UCLA has no offense when Keefe and Matta-Real are in the game together.

cash459
04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
The Bruins can't be stopped..Howland is finally going to bring a title to Westwood!

this thread was falling off too far........ :lmao....

bruins = :loser

LakeShow
04-13-2008, 10:48 AM
:wakeup Seems Like old times again. Los Angeles Lakers vs. San Antonio Spurs! Should be a great game and I'm hoping for a Lakers victory!

Another BIG game in the City! :toast to another great basketball season in LA.

cash459
04-13-2008, 08:15 PM
(Spurs minus - Manu) < lakers

:pctoss

Ronaldo McDonald
04-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Better than losing to the Nuggets, 76ers, Allen-less Celtics, Hornets, and Shaq-Suns team with a FULL HEALTHY SQUAD. That is pathetic. The Spurs have yet to beat a quality team that wasn't hampered with severe injuries (no dirk, no hedo+nelson).

When the Lakers get their STARTERS back they will dominate. The Spurs have absolutely no excuse for why they suck and continue to shoot 24% from the field for an entire half.

It's still the regular season. The Spurs don't have to prove anything to anyone. Not the Lakers, not the Suns, not the Hornets, not the Mavs, not the Jazz. And they sure as hell don't have to prove anything to some fucking dumbass on messageboard. They are the Spurs, and if anyone has to prove anything to anyone, it's everyone besides the Spurs. Fucking Idiot.

21_Blessings
04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
(Spurs minus - Manu) < lakers

:pctoss

Sporks - Manu < Lakers - Bynum

Healthy Sporks < Healthy Lakers

:toast

cash459
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Sporks - Manu < Lakers - Bynum

Healthy Sporks = Healthy Lakers

fixed it for ya :p:

TampaDude
04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
:wakeup Seems Like old times again. Los Angeles Lakers vs. San Antonio Spurs! Should be a great game and I'm hoping for a Lakers victory!

Another BIG game in the City! :toast to another great basketball season in LA.

Well, if you guys make it to the Finals and we don't, please destroy the fucking Celtics for us, will ya? Thanks! :toast

LakeShow
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
http://images.ocregister.com/newsimages/2008/04/15/15_lakers_kjs8_MD.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2003-06/267119.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-columnist-tsimers,1,2780676.columnist) T.J. Simers (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-columnist-tsimers,1,2780676.columnist):
These Lakers made some pretty valuable moves too

Bryant was great, as expected, but give a lot of the team's credit to Buss, Kupchak and Jackson.
April 16 2008

KobeBryant does not deserve the MVP award this season.

He deserves to get it every year.

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-58813-17349-1/4?mpt=550489&adtype=1&size=300x250 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-58813-17349-1/4?mpt=550489) http://a.collective-media.net/ad/cm.latimes/;sz=300x250;click0=;ord=549911? (http://a.collective-media.net/jump/cm.latimes/;sz=300x250;click0=;ord=549911?) http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/trb.latimes/sports/basketball/nba/lakers;rs=10017;ptype=s;slug=la-sp-simers16apr16;rg=r;zc=92553;ic=50000-74999;by=1956;gr=M;ref=latimescom;pos=1;sz=300x250 ;tile=5;ord=19389663? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/trb.latimes/sports/basketball/nba/lakers;rs=10017;ptype=s;slug=la-sp-simers16apr16;rg=r;zc=92553;ic=50000-74999;by=1956;gr=M;ref=latimescom;pos=1;sz=300x250 ;tile=5;ord=19389663?)
He's the best player in the game, and because there is no provision for marking him down for being a baby off the court at times, he should already have a trophy case filled with MVP awards.

The argument this year waged by some that he has become more of a team player or done something different to really earn the reward is ridiculous.

In the past, he has had spurts where he has been the team player, spurts where he has tried to do it all, and spurts where he has pouted.

Same thing happened this season, Phil Jackson maybe a little better now on how he handles Kobe's spurts.

Bryant is the most valuable player in the NBA, all right, the sport at its exciting best whenever he is on the court. If David Stern could arrange it, he would have Kobe playing every playoff game to the very last possible date for the NBA this June.

The NBA has a number of great players, such as Chris Paul, but with Bryant, like Michael Jordan,there is always the chance we will be watching something we might never see again.

The notion, though, that he wants a championship ring more than everyone else is also ridiculous.

He's just better than everyone else, his competitive drive usually resulting in success, while others who might compete with just as much heart and soul lack the overall Bryant talent.

That's what makes Bryant the obvious choice for MVP every year, because he has such talent and delivers so often.

But as for the MVP, or Most Valuable Performer in the NBA this season, if there were such an honor it should go to Jerry Buss, Mitch Kupchak and Jackson.

Bryant called Buss an "idiot," and once again Buss responded by proving he is one of the best owners in sports, which sometimes means doing nothing.

Buss has always liked Bryant's game, but Bryant called him out last summer, suggesting Buss was as much an idiot as a liar for not surrounding him with better players as promised, giving the owner every reason to react, or even overreact.

The owner added a DUI to his resume, criticism mounting that the Lakers under Buss had lost it, or so most folks were thinking just 11 months ago.

As a result, the pressure was really on Kupchak, most everyone in these parts wondering why he still had a job and looking for someone to take a fall -- if only to appease Bryant, or make room for the return of Jerry West.

How many folks out there thought West was the only answer to put the Lakers back on track? Come on, Kobe, raise your hand.

Instead, Buss replied by throwing his complete support behind Kupchak -- Kupchak responding to the turmoil as he does everything, calmly stating and restating the Lakers' plans for long-term success. You kind of get the idea that Kupchak's idea of a rip-roaring time is to stand up, but very slowly.

An irritated Bryant, meanwhile, was caught on video saying he couldn't understand why Kupchak had refused to trade Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd when he had the chance. How's that working out for Dallas?

He also didn't seem too pleased with the idea that the Lakers were going to go into this season with Bynum still on the roster -- when Bynum could have been used to acquire someone so much more advanced in his career.

Kupchak, steady as always, explored all possibilities but remained convinced that Bynum would become a valuable contributor to the Lakers at some point.

But around here it really didn't matter what Kupchak thought, most fans treating him like a Dodgers general manager and blaming him for trading away Shaq, getting so little in return, and later acquiring Kwame Brown.

Kupchak took a public beating but went to work, doing what he said he would do all along to improve the Lakers, while everyone else wondered whether Bryant would show up for the opening of training camp.

Kupchak secured the services of Derek Fisher, a lucky break, but the good teams are lucky like that. He sent Brian Cook and Maurice Evans to Orlando for Trevor Ariza -- initially drawing a collective yawn from Lakers fans.

He swiped Pau Gasol from Memphis, and although many Bryant supporters remain convinced none of this would have happened had Bryant not thrown his tantrum, they haven't been paying attention.

Kupchak was determined to improve the Lakers before Bryant's outburst, but with the proviso he would do it in the best interests of the Lakers, and not just in the best interests of Bryant.

It might explain why Buss has never wavered in his support of Kupchak.

Then there's Jackson, the Zen paying off last summer, and Bryant finding an ally in an author who had previously trashed him for his petulant behavior. If Phil and Kobe can be friends, then maybe Page 2 and, well, never mind.

Jackson was brilliant last summer, taking the edge off Bryant's tantrum and saying all the right things to his star player. Can't wait to read his next book, though.

At the same time, whether it was Jackson, his assistant coaches or the passage of time, Bynum and the Lakers' supporting cast reported to work much improved.

Forced to compliment Bynum, it took some of the steam out of Bryant's argument that the Lakers were no longer championship-worthy.

In hindsight, every team should have an owner, general manager and head coach responding to controversy and franchise chaos as Buss, Kupchak and Jackson did.

And so when Bryant is named MVP, as he should be this season and every season, it would be nice if he thanked the Lakers brass for hanging in there with him when he was stomping his feet and looking to move to Chicago.

It would also be a good time to announce publicly he no longer is a baby, no longer wishes to be traded and has no interest in terminating his contract a year from now -- because he just can't imagine playing for anyone other than Buss, Kupchak and Jackson.

T.J. Simers can be reached at

bdubya
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
T.J. Simers...boy, that takes me back. Anybody know where to find the video clip the LA Times had of him predicting the '04 finals? (praying the Lakers would phone a couple of games in so they'd have the victory celebration at home...) Funny stuff. Wish I'd have saved it.

Indazone
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I hope the Fakers lose to the Nuggets or Mavs in the first round. What a bunch of pampered crybabies.

21_Blessings
04-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I hope the Fakers lose to the Nuggets or Mavs in the first round. What a bunch of pampered crybabies.

Have fun getting bounced in the first round, yet again.

Allanon
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/2v3idnjj42rka9c1ci9y.jpg

Things would have been alot different with Yao.

TheMACHINE
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM

hey hey hey....Phil just said that his vote for Coach of the year is Adelman ;)

Kobe62Mavs61
04-27-2008, 07:32 PM
bump

Kobe62Mavs61
04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Lakers will go, Fo, Fo, Fo on their way to the finals!

LakeShow
04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Lakers will go, Fo, Fo, Fo on their way to the finals!\

:lmao:lmao

Another Great day in the Basketball capital of the World. Damn, Life is Good! :toast

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
homer post from a homer writer

LakeShow
04-29-2008, 11:56 AM
What a beautiful day in LA! :king

LakeShow
05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
What a beautiful day in LA! :king

Killakobe81
05-04-2008, 10:59 PM
A Good Not Great Win But Rather Be Up 1-0 Than Down ...

Vinnie_Johnson
05-04-2008, 11:05 PM
T.J. Simers...boy, that takes me back. Anybody know where to find the video clip the LA Times had of him predicting the '04 finals? (praying the Lakers would phone a couple of games in so they'd have the victory celebration at home...) Funny stuff. Wish I'd have saved it.

That was classic I had just moved out here the year before. I have never laughed so hard as seeing all those laker fans take their gay car flags off.:lmao

My favorite was NBA TV'S own Fred Carter ( The Pistons can't score Lakers in Four) :lmao

LakeShow
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
http://www.gotparty.com/lakerflagyelllow.jpghttp://www.gotparty.com/lakerflagpurple.jpg

LakeShow
05-17-2008, 11:51 AM
From the Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2007-04/260175.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,463529.columnist) Bill Plaschke (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,463529.columnist):
Lakers have answers so far, but that's only the half of it

The team needs eight more wins for a championship and it has answered many of the questions that critics have pondered.
May 17 2008

SALT LAKE CITY -- Halfway there.

A season that began in histrionics is halfway to history.

A season that began in tiny torn pieces is halfway toward becoming one eye-popping, jaw-dropping quilt.

A dreamcoat, it would be.

Eight more wins, it would take.

The Lakers on Friday reached the midway point of their patchwork journey toward a previously unimaginable NBA title in typical many-colored fashion.

They turned out the lights on the league's best home court.

They put out the fire in the league's most consistently intense team.

In the Western Conference semifinals, they won their clinching Game 6 in Utah, and the 108-105 victory had nothing to do with Jazz.

It was hard rock, as the Lakers scored the first seven points of the game, the last six points of the first half, took a 19-point lead, came out flying against the strangely plodding Jazz.

It was a little country, as the EnergySolutions Arena fans whined and cursed and cried, yelling at the officials when they should have been yelling at the Kirilenkos and Boozers.

In the end, it was a lot of soul, the Lakers hanging on against a final push by a desperate team seemingly unbeatable on its home court.

The Jazz somehow closed it to three points in the final seconds, but Mehmet Okur and Deron Williams each missed three-point attempts.

In both cases, Lakers were charging the shooter, Sasha Vujacic rushing Okur, Bryant harassing Williams, the hotshots always hustling.

Game, Set, Wasatch.

"A real solid performance by our players," said a clearly relieved Lakers Coach Phil Jackson.

"We just got lost in what we were doing," said a clearly weary Utah Coach Jerry Sloan.

It was only the sixth time in 47 games here that the visitors have triumphed -- with two of those wins owned by the Lakers.

Denver done, Utah used, two series gone, two more to go, the Lakers now set to enjoy home-court advantage in the conference finals against the winner of Monday's semifinal Game 7 between New Orleans and San Antonio.

The Lakers will be watching that game.

But at this point in the postseason, everyone is watching the Lakers.

When spring began, most pegged the Lakers as a conference finals team at best, or perhaps potential losers in the NBA Finals to the Boston Celtics.

Halfway there, and everything has changed.

So far in this postseason, the Lakers have been the only team to sweep a series.

So far, they are only the second team to win a conference semifinal game on the road.

So far, they have racked up the most impressive two-game stretch of anybody, leading from start to finish in their last two games against the 54-win Jazz.

So far, nobody has looked tougher or smarter or better.

Are they really good enough to not only reach the Finals, but win there?

Put it another way:

Is there any question they haven't answered?

It only seemed that most of those answers were provided Friday night.

Kobe Bryant's playoff unselfishness? Check.

With the exception of that strange overtime in Game 4, Bryant deferred to his teammates when his back was aching or his jump shot was jiggling, and his teammates responded.

He scored only nine baskets Friday but had eight rebounds and six assists and missed just two of 17 free throws.

Pau Gasol's playoff toughness? Check.

Gasol disappeared in Game 3 here, but never again, shaken awake by the moment, dominating the middle, 17 points and 13 rebounds Friday, turning Boozer into a mean-looking prop.

Lamar Odom's willingness to join the playoff scrum? Check.

Odom flew to the basket throughout the series, coming up huge in the final minutes of Game 5 to help the Lakers to that victory, then grabbing the ball and sinking two foul shots in crunch time Friday.

Derek Fisher's age? Chuckle.

Fisher was in the face of Deron Williams throughout Game 6, the Jazz leader hitting just nine of 21 shots and only two of eight three-point attempts.

As impressive as the Lakers appeared during the early blowout Friday, they were just as impressive in the final clinging moment.

The Jazz took advantage of some loose play by the Lakers' reserves and narrowed the gap to seven points in the final six minutes.

Kobe anyone?

The guy who had struggled with his outside shot threw in a fall-away three-pointer.

Then, on the next possession, he threw in another fall-away jumper while being hacked by Matt Harpring, allowing Bryant to turn it into another three-point play.

When the Jazz closed it back to seven points in the final two minutes, yes, it was Bryant who grabbed a big rebound and turned it into two finishing-touch foul shots.

It was a season in a night, big leads and close calls and Kobe, Kobe, Kobe.

Eight wins down, eight wins to go, halfway there, feels like halfway home.

Bill Plaschke can be reached at [email protected]. To read previous columns by Plaschke, go to latimes.com/plaschke.

SpursDynasty
05-17-2008, 12:04 PM
8 championships in 29 seasons.

That's hardly an empire.

And college basketball doesn't count as a real sport.

LakeShow
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
She Got Game

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0516/wnba_illustration1_412.jpgWNBA on ABCSparks at Mercury, season opener, 3:30 ET

ESPN.com Illustration

LakeShow
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Better Lakers news than the Game 6 victory? Bryant “100 percent” (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/05/17/better-lakers-news-than-the-game-6-victory-bryant-100-percent/)

May 17th, 2008, 12:00 am · 6 Comments (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/05/17/better-lakers-news-than-the-game-6-victory-bryant-100-percent/#comments) · posted by KEVIN DING

SALT LAKE CITY — No need to fret Kobe Bryant’s back problem plaguing the Lakers as they try to win the last eight of the 16 playoff victories needed to be champions, apparently.
“I felt normal, felt 100 percent,” Bryant said. “Our staff did a fantastic job, and our therapists — part of our extended family — came in and did an excellent job and got me ready.”
Bryant took a couple of serious shots to his right hip (his back spasms arose on his right side) in Game 6 and got shoved in the back hard once by Mehmet Okur, but Bryant showed no ill effects.

LakerMagic
05-19-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2007-04/260175.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,463529.columnist) Bill Plaschke (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,463529.columnist):
Lakers have answers so far, but that's only the half of it

The team needs eight more wins for a championship and it has answered many of the questions that critics have pondered.
May 17 2008

SALT LAKE CITY -- Halfway there.

A season that began in histrionics is halfway to history.

A season that began in tiny torn pieces is halfway toward becoming one eye-popping, jaw-dropping quilt.

A dreamcoat, it would be.

Eight more wins, it would take.

The Lakers on Friday reached the midway point of their patchwork journey toward a previously unimaginable NBA title in typical many-colored fashion.

They turned out the lights on the league's best home court.

They put out the fire in the league's most consistently intense team.

In the Western Conference semifinals, they won their clinching Game 6 in Utah, and the 108-105 victory had nothing to do with Jazz.

It was hard rock, as the Lakers scored the first seven points of the game, the last six points of the first half, took a 19-point lead, came out flying against the strangely plodding Jazz.

It was a little country, as the EnergySolutions Arena fans whined and cursed and cried, yelling at the officials when they should have been yelling at the Kirilenkos and Boozers.

In the end, it was a lot of soul, the Lakers hanging on against a final push by a desperate team seemingly unbeatable on its home court.

The Jazz somehow closed it to three points in the final seconds, but Mehmet Okur and Deron Williams each missed three-point attempts.

In both cases, Lakers were charging the shooter, Sasha Vujacic rushing Okur, Bryant harassing Williams, the hotshots always hustling.

Game, Set, Wasatch.

"A real solid performance by our players," said a clearly relieved Lakers Coach Phil Jackson.

"We just got lost in what we were doing," said a clearly weary Utah Coach Jerry Sloan.

It was only the sixth time in 47 games here that the visitors have triumphed -- with two of those wins owned by the Lakers.

Denver done, Utah used, two series gone, two more to go, the Lakers now set to enjoy home-court advantage in the conference finals against the winner of Monday's semifinal Game 7 between New Orleans and San Antonio.

The Lakers will be watching that game.

But at this point in the postseason, everyone is watching the Lakers.

When spring began, most pegged the Lakers as a conference finals team at best, or perhaps potential losers in the NBA Finals to the Boston Celtics.

Halfway there, and everything has changed.

So far in this postseason, the Lakers have been the only team to sweep a series.

So far, they are only the second team to win a conference semifinal game on the road.

So far, they have racked up the most impressive two-game stretch of anybody, leading from start to finish in their last two games against the 54-win Jazz.

So far, nobody has looked tougher or smarter or better.

Are they really good enough to not only reach the Finals, but win there?

Put it another way:

Is there any question they haven't answered?

It only seemed that most of those answers were provided Friday night.

Kobe Bryant's playoff unselfishness? Check.

With the exception of that strange overtime in Game 4, Bryant deferred to his teammates when his back was aching or his jump shot was jiggling, and his teammates responded.

He scored only nine baskets Friday but had eight rebounds and six assists and missed just two of 17 free throws.

Pau Gasol's playoff toughness? Check.

Gasol disappeared in Game 3 here, but never again, shaken awake by the moment, dominating the middle, 17 points and 13 rebounds Friday, turning Boozer into a mean-looking prop.

Lamar Odom's willingness to join the playoff scrum? Check.

Odom flew to the basket throughout the series, coming up huge in the final minutes of Game 5 to help the Lakers to that victory, then grabbing the ball and sinking two foul shots in crunch time Friday.

Derek Fisher's age? Chuckle.

Fisher was in the face of Deron Williams throughout Game 6, the Jazz leader hitting just nine of 21 shots and only two of eight three-point attempts.

As impressive as the Lakers appeared during the early blowout Friday, they were just as impressive in the final clinging moment.

The Jazz took advantage of some loose play by the Lakers' reserves and narrowed the gap to seven points in the final six minutes.

Kobe anyone?

The guy who had struggled with his outside shot threw in a fall-away three-pointer.

Then, on the next possession, he threw in another fall-away jumper while being hacked by Matt Harpring, allowing Bryant to turn it into another three-point play.

When the Jazz closed it back to seven points in the final two minutes, yes, it was Bryant who grabbed a big rebound and turned it into two finishing-touch foul shots.

It was a season in a night, big leads and close calls and Kobe, Kobe, Kobe.

Eight wins down, eight wins to go, halfway there, feels like halfway home.

Bill Plaschke can be reached at [email protected]. To read previous columns by Plaschke, go to latimes.com/plaschke.

A good read.

oligarchy
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Just to rub it in a little more. Not to mention 25 title appearances in the 64 years of League history. LOOK HOW FAR DOWN THE SPURS ARE ON THAT LIST:lol

All-Time Playoffs: Franchise Appearances

Includes appearances in NBA Playoffs 2008
Franchise Appearances Last Current Streak
Los Angeles Lakers 56 2008 3
Boston Celtics 46 2008 1
Philadelphia 76ers 44 2008 1
Detroit Pistons 39 2008 7
New York Knicks 38 2004 --
Atlanta Hawks 37 2008 1
Sacramento Kings 29 2006 --
Golden State Warriors 28 2007 --
Phoenix Suns 28 2008 4
San Antonio Spurs 28 2008 11
Chicago Bulls 27 2007 --
Portland Trail Blazers 26 2003 --
Milwaukee Bucks 25 2006 --
Washington Wizards 25 2008 4
Houston Rockets 25 2008 2
Seattle SuperSonics 22 2005 --
Utah Jazz 22 2008 2
Denver Nuggets 19 2008 5
Indiana Pacers 18 2006 --
New Jersey Nets 16 2007 --
Cleveland Cavaliers 16 2008 3
Dallas Mavericks 14 2008 8
Miami Heat 12 2007 --
New Orleans Hornets 10 2008 1
Orlando Magic 10 2008 2
Minnesota Timberwolves 8 2004 --
Los Angeles Clippers 7 2006 --
Toronto Raptors 5 2008 2
Chicago Stags 4
Indianapolis Olympians 4
Memphis Grizzlies 3 2006 --
Baltimore Bullets 3
St. Louis Bombers 3
Washington Capitols 3
Cleveland Rebels 1
Sheboygan Redskins 1

I don't get the comparisons here. You're comparing the Spurs' number of playoffs to the teams above them, while they are the youngest of those NBA franchises? I think the Suns have what, 8 more years in the league, yet have the same number of appearances. Now, look at the last column, and then look again at the Spurs or any team on that list.

LakeShow
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
TOP 10 CELEBRITY LAKERS FANS

No other NBA franchise is as closely associated with its celebrity fans as the Los Angeles Lakers. And why not? L.A. is the epicenter of the entertainment industry, and the Lakers are a big part of that entertainment scene. "In this town there has to be some star attraction," said Joe Smith, a record executive and Lakers season ticket holder since the team arrived in L.A. in 1960. "It’s a city of stars, and the extra added plus is when you see Jack Nicholson at the game. There was one game against the Spurs a couple of years ago, in the playoffs, when there were seven Academy Award winners sitting courtside."
The glitter, the glamour, the game. NBA.com celebrates this long love affair between the Lakers and their celebrity fans by naming the Top 10 Celebrity Lakers fans of all time.
10: Doris Day http://www.nba.com/media/dday_laceleb_100_070309.jpg Yes, Doris Day. Surprised? We knew you would be. For years, celebrities flocked to watch the Hollywood Stars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Stars) of the Pacific Coast League, and later the Los Angeles Dodgers. On Sundays in the fall, celebs would head to the L.A. Coliseum to watch the Rams. But as Jerry West would attest, the Lakers' arrival in L.A. barely made a ripple in the sports pages and with Hollywood.
"We didn’t have many celebrities in the stands," West said. "We had very few fans and rarely celebrities. At the time, the two most important sports teams were the Dodgers and Rams. We were on the back of the sports page, and weren’t even on the radar at that time."
Enter Doris Day. She's the Neil Armstrong of Lakers celebrities, taking one small courtside seat for her, but one giant leap for the Hollywood stars. Other stars of that era — Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Dean Martin, Andy Williams to name a few — would soon find their way to the L.A. Sports Arena to watch Jerry West and Elgin Baylor lead the Lakers to multiple Finals appearances.
But it was Day, the biggest female box office star of the late '50s and early '60s, who, according to Terry Pluto's oral history of the early NBA Tall Tales, "was the Dyan Cannon of the early Lakers, a star who was a regular at courtside." And for that, we tip our pillbox hat in honor of Doris Day, a Lakers celeb fan pioneer and No. 10 on our list.

9: Arsenio Hall http://www.nba.com/media/arsenio_lalceleb_100_070309.jpgFor a while in the late '80s and early '90s, Arsenio Hall had the hottest, most-talked-about late night talk show. (You may remember then-Arkansas governor Bill Clinton donning shades, toting a sax and playing "Heartbreak Hotel" on Arsenio's show in June of 1992.) And during that time, when the Showtime Lakers were hot and the Forum was jumping, you could usually count on three celebs to be front and center: Jack Nicholson, Dyan Cannon and Arsenio Hall. After Magic Johnson retired, Arsenio had the seats next to Magic, who chose Arsenio's talk show as one of the first places to make a public comment after announcing his retirement from the NBA because he was HIV positive.
While no longer a front-and-center fixture at Lakers games, Aresnio's close friendship with Magic and romantic relationship with former Laker Girl, Paula Abdul (that's him making faces in Abdul's video for her first No. 1 hit, "Straight Up"), coupled with his courtside presence during the high-top fade and Cross Colors era, lands him in the No. 9 spot.

8: Leonardo DiCaprio http://www.nba.com/media/dicaprio_lalceleb_100_070309.jpg A native Los Angelino and a hoops junkie, who actually starred in a movie about a junkie who played hoops, The Basketball Diaries (http://imdb.com/title/tt0112461/), Leonardo DiCaprio has been a fixture at STAPLES Center since the late '90s. And while he often tried to go to games relatively incognito with a cap pulled down tight, DiCaprio, a three-time Academy Award nominee, is a hard person to miss at games according to Lakers All-Star Kobe Bryant:
"Well, he sits right behind my wife and they get a little rowdy," Bryant said. "He really gets into the game. They're pretty passionate fans, so that's always good."
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Kobe on Leo (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_kobe_onleo.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blank%27%29 %29;)

7: Penny Marshall http://www.nba.com/media/penny_lalceleb_100_070309.jpg How much of a Lakers/hoops fan is director Penny Marshall? Allow American Idol judge Randy Jackson to explain Marshall's fandom. "I'll give you the top two, top three: Jack, Dyan and Penny Marshall," Jackson said. "Those three, those three are always here without fail. Penny's asked me to fly to Arizona on a private plane to see games. They're hardcore."
How dedicated is she? Marshall's MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/pennymarshall) (yes, she has a MySpace page) lists her interests as: "Basketball, Directing, Acting, Producing." She lists her avocation, hoops, before her actual vocation: directing and acting. As Jackson said, hardcore. Marshall's love for hoops also takes her to Clippers games where she has been seen wearing — gasp! — Clippers gear. It's not enough for us to drop her from the Top 10, but it's also why she's only No. 7 on our list.
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Ryan Seacrest and Randy Jackson on Marshall (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_jackson_seacrest_onlakers.asx%27%29,escape%2 8%27blank%27%29%29;)

6: Denzel Washington http://www.nba.com/media/denzel_lalceleb_100_070309.jpgWant to know why Denzel's No. 6? Just look at the video below. We'll wait. Yes, that's super-Knicks fan Spike Lee taunting the man he's directed in four films. Why? Because Denzel was pulling for Kobe and Co. And while the Mt. Vernon, New York, native has drawn stares for wearing Yankees caps to STAPLES, we're not talking about a Dodgers list, we're talking a Lakers list. During the 2000 Western Conference Finals, one of our panelists noted that he was one of the few big names in the lower bowl to don the Lakers t-shirts they handed out before the game. Lakers doyenne Dyan Cannon calls Denzel "a big, big Lakers" fan. Kobe Bryant says that Denzel's a fan but when it comes to whoopin' it up, he's laid back. "He doesn't say too much," Bryant said. "I hear his wife actually is a passionate Lakers fan. She really gets into it, but Denzel kind of sits back and chills and takes it all in."
In laid-back L.A., that seems wholly appropriate.
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Spike Lee Taunts Denzel (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_spike_taunts_denzel.asx%27%29,escape%28%27bl ank%27%29%29;)

5: Andy Garcia http://www.nba.com/media/garcia_lalceleb_100_070309.jpg Garcia grew up loving the Lakers even though he was a continent away in Florida. "The Lakers were one of the teams I followed when I was a kid in Florida because of Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor," Garcia said. "We didn't have a team in Florida. And my first exposure was watching the games on television. We wouldn't have games on TV every night, but when the Lakers were in the playoffs you'd get much more exposure to them."
Garcia received the ultimate L.A. welcome when he attended his first Lakers game at the Forum as a guest of Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss. Garcia, who has had season tickets since the early '80s, now watches his beloved team from his seats in the fourth row opposite of the Lakers bench.
NBA.com caught up with Andy Garcia. See what he had to say (http://www.nba.com/features/garcia_070308.html) about being a Lakers fan.

4: Ice Cube http://www.nba.com/media/cube_lalceleb_100_070309.jpgWhile our No. 5 sits in the fourth row, our No. 4 All-Time Celebrity Lakers fan watches the team he's rooted for since he was a zygote from his own private suite. In an interview with CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/12/15/losangeles.qa/) last December, Cube, a South Central L.A. native, claimed his Lakers fandom before he was even born. " I was a Lakers fan in the womb," Cube claimed. "My mother screamed at a Lakers game for Elgin Baylor or Jerry West and I was a fan from there. I go to every game. It's an experience."
And unlike our laid-back fan at No. 6, Cube admits he's not cool during games.
"This is my box, so I'm up here hanging out, yelling," Cube said. "I'm yelling from up here. I'm surprised you don't hear me, but I'm a screamer. I scream at the fans. I scream at the officials. I scream at the players, the coach, whoever's not doing their job ... I'm screaming at 'em."
Stars, they're diehards, just like us.
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Ice Cube on his Most Memorable Moment (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_icecube_onmoment.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blank %27%29%29;)

3: Flea/Anthony Kiedis http://www.nba.com/media/flea_laceleb_100_070309.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/kiedis_lalceleb_100_070309.jpgFlea and Kiedis, the two founding members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, wrote not one but two songs about the Lakers on their 1989 album Mother's Milk: a demo called "Salute To Kareem" and the "Magic Johnson" which features these lyrics: Lakers are the team that I watch on the telly
Cause they got more moves
Than a bowl full of jelly
Classic. As for their inclusion on this list, Kiedis had this to say: "I like being mentioned in the same breath as Doris Day for any particular top 10. So there's my honor today."
As for Flea, who blogs (http://www.nba.com/chat_and_mailboxes/flea.html) with passion and intelligence, but without punctuation, about his beloved Lakers on NBA.com, it's an honor he'll gladly take.
"Anything remotely Laker oriented that we get mentioned in the same breath as the Lakers makes us happy," Flea said.
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Flea and Kiedis React to Honor (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_flee_kiedis_onday.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blan k%27%29%29;)

2: Dyan Cannon http://www.nba.com/media/dyancannon_lalceleb_100_070309.jpg As a Lakers fan, Dyan Cannon is only second to one. Known as much as for her Laker fandom — she's the curly blond bouncing on the baseline — as her acting career, Cannon has been a die-hard regular at Lakers games since the early '70s.
"One of the first games I ever went to was at the Forum," Cannon said. "It was on the radio. It wasn't on TV then. Jerry West fell in my lap and coffee spilled all over me and all over the court. That was my first memory."
The occasional spilled coffee aside, Cannon's been close to the action for years, talking with players, refs and coaches. Cannon is practically part of the Lakers family. When the Lakers won their 1988 title, Cannon and Pat Riley's wife Chris, chased each other through the halls of the Forum, spraying Champagne everywhere. And after all these years, she still learns and finds joy in going to games.
"I've been so blessed," Cannon said. "Because, Arsenio used to sit with Magic. But now, I sit next to Magic. And I've learned so much about the game. When the guys are coming down the floor, he'll say 'Ugh' and I'll say, 'Tell me.' He'll say 'Ugh' and I'll say, 'What? Explain that to me.'
"So, he's taught me about so many of the ins and outs of this game that I would never understand. It's been such a thrill. It still is."
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Cannon Reacts to Honor (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_cannon_ontopfan.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blank% 27%29%29;) | http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif On Exchange with a Ref (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_cannon_onrefjake.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blank %27%29%29;) | http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/bullet_video.gif Riley on Cannon (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:nbaVideo%28escape%28%27http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/nbatv/celeb_riley_oncannon.asx%27%29,escape%28%27blank%2 7%29%29;)

1: Jack Nicholson http://www.nba.com/media/jack_lalceleb_100_070309.jpgReally now, was there any doubt? No fan — celebrity or average Joe — is more closely associated with any team than the three-time Academy Award winner is with the Lakers. Nicholson has had courtside seats for more than three decades, both at the Forum and STAPLES. What we like about Jack is he's the consummate fan — he harangues refs, talks with opposing coaches, trash talks with players and rarely misses a game. He's shown his famous face in opposing arenas when the Lakers have made The Finals. And most important, Nicholson knows the game of basketball.
"He's been a good friend of mine ... for years," Pat Riley said, "and it's borne out of basketball more than anything else. He's simply a fanatic and has been ever since I started my career with the Lakers in 1970.
"He's a real fan. He's not one of these actors that all of a sudden get front row seats and then they're gone. He's for real. He cares."
Boy does he. While his near-perfect attendance and his courtside antics are legendary, Nicholson's fandom is also stuff of urban legend. Directors reportedly need to work their shooting schedules around Lakers home games. One report from the set of his Academy Award-winning film "The Departed" had him forbidding all Celtics gear from the set of the Boston-based movie. Whether that's true or not just adds to Nicholson's charm and more than tightens his iron grip on our top spot.
And what does Jack think about being named the top Lakers fan of all time? His publicist, of course, passed along this message to us:
"He is deeply honored and only hopes that he has been as consistently entertaining as the Lakers have been."

Allanon
05-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Good post Lakeshow.

Flea's blog is hilarious and he bleeds the Purple and Gold.

http://adiamondinsunlight.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/464px-joker-ritz.jpg

SpursDynasty
05-20-2008, 01:11 AM
The Lakers only won in 2000, 2001, and 2002 because they got either lucky or the other team just had an offnights.

The 80's Lakers are the real dynasty.

Dopey310
05-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Haha...and the Spurs never had a dynasty. 3 championships in 5 years is not a dynasty, especially since the Spurs never repeated. How can you lump the 1999 Spurs team with the same championship run as these current Spurs. The only guy that's carried over from that squad to the current squad is Duncan and the head coach. If you're going to lump that championship run with your most recent championship run, would Spurs fans lump this year's Lakers with the 2000 Laker team ? I mean, if the Laker win the championship this year, they still have 2 key players that's carried over from their 2000 team in Kobe and Fisher, and the same coaching staff. Most laker fans agree that these current Lakers are basically a completely different era in Lakers basketball from the three peat squad. I think it's ridiculous to count that 1999 run with their 2007 run from last year. That's an 8 year difference, and in the middle, their was another team that only won 3 straight.lol

ata
05-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Lame:
Fisher wasn't constatly Laker since 2000. Would he be Laker if it was not because of his unfortunate doughter?
Coaching stuff? Don't make me laugh. Pop has been her every year, can you say same about Phil?

You are right about one thing, there is another team winning 3 straight. Just, please, don't forget the lottery year

Indazone
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Lakers suck! Spurs in 6.

Dopey310
05-20-2008, 05:16 PM
My point is, your 1999 Championship squad has as much resemblance to your 2007 squad as the 2000 Laker squad has with this current squad. Basically, not much at all.

LakeShow
05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
NBA PLAYOFFS
Lakers ready for Spurs

n, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
May 21, 2008
San Antonio has won four championships since 1999, the Lakers have won three, and the winner of the Western Conference finals has a chance to gain something else.

"If we win it and you want to call us team of the decade, you're my man," Kobe Bryant said.

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photogallery/2008-05/39089035-20230042.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakersspurs-matchups,0,2146857.photogallery) Photos: L.A. vs. S.A: How they match up (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakersspurs-matchups,0,2146857.photogallery)
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photogallery/2008-04/38360508-30211937.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobe2008-pg,0,6057676.photogallery) Photos: Best of Kobe 2007-2008 (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobe2008-pg,0,6057676.photogallery)

Defense is watchword for Lakers in Western finals against Spurs (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers20-2008may20,0,4664386.story)
How the Lakers solved their chemical imbalance (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-heisler20-2008may20,0,1170323.column)

The Lakers and Spurs begin another playoff series tonight at Staples Center, their sixth meeting in the last 10 seasons, part of a rivalry in which familiarity breeds mild contempt and, often, an NBA title.

The players have mutual respect for one another -- "They're all nice guys. They're not trash talkers by any means," Bryant said -- but the coaches have taken turns slinging the zing.

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson was generally credited with starting it several years back when he dismissed San Antonio as a land of conventioneers and tourists, but Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich appeared to grab the last laugh by comparing the breakup of the Lakers in 2004 to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS PHOTOGRAPHY http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/38917878.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers2008-pg,0,6728232.photogallery) Building the 2008 Lakers (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers2008-pg,0,6728232.photogallery) http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/38918025.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobemvp7-2008may07-pg,0,7342224.photogallery) Kobe Bryant 2008 NBA MVP (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobemvp7-2008may07-pg,0,7342224.photogallery) http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/38918213.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobe2008-pg,0,6057676.photogallery) Best of Kobe Bryant 2007-2008 (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-kobe2008-pg,0,6057676.photogallery) http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/38917697.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakers-mg,0,3597291.gallery) More Lakers feature galleries (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakers-mg,0,3597291.gallery)

Jackson, never one to shy away from zinging the opponents (or his own players), once referred to Spurs forward Bruce Bowen as "Edward Scissorhands" because of his rough defense. Earlier this season, Jackson said Manu Ginobili traveled every time he drove to the basket, a so-called "European walk."

Not to be forgotten, Popovich had a problem with the Lakers' acquisition of Pau Gasol in February.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," he told reporters shortly after Gasol arrived from the Grizzlies. "I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

Fast forward to Tuesday, and the Spurs were already a step behind the Lakers.

The Spurs planned to fly Monday night from New Orleans to Los Angeles after eliminating the Hornets, 91-82, but they ended up spending the night on the team plane as it sat near the airport tarmac in New Orleans because of mechanical problems.

The Spurs were more or less stuck because they could not find hotel rooms in New Orleans because of local conventions. The Spurs did not practice Tuesday and held media interviews in a ballroom at a swank Santa Monica hotel.

"We got to the plane at about midnight or something like that. Mechanical problem and no mechanic. Then no plane. Then no hotel," Popovich said. "Called about 15 or 20 places and couldn't go anywhere so we spent the evening in the tarmac on the plane. . . . It reminded me of Division III basketball."

The Lakers weren't exactly sending energy bars and mocha lattes when the Spurs landed at about 6:30 a.m. in L.A.

"This is not a time for sympathy," Gasol said. "No sympathy, no mercies. Time to compete."

Gasol, who is now 8-2 in the playoffs after being 0-12 in six seasons with Memphis, will draw Tim Duncan as his assignment. Derek Fisher will try to stop Tony Parker. And Bryant and Bowen will continue the decade-long rivalry within a rivalry.

After running up and down with Denver, and standing up to Utah's physicality, the Lakers now get the stinginess of the Spurs.

"They're one of the best defensive teams our league has seen in a long time," Fisher said.

The Lakers almost drew New Orleans instead of the Spurs, but, then again, where would the rivalry be in that?

"We wouldn't want it any other way," Bryant said. "To be the best, you've got to play against the best. They are the best and have been for quite some time. It's a great opportunity for us to see where we stack up."

------

This is the type of series where Andrew Bynum might be missed.

"He's a great player and a presence inside that would help anybody and especially would help us, right?" Gasol said. "He's a great shot blocker, would intimidate a lot. A big body."

Bynum, who has been out since Jan. 13, is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery today in New York to clean up rough spots on the underside of his left kneecap.

------

Jackson was sardonic and humorous Tuesday after a slew of serious news conferences throughout the last week.

He threw out a punch line when asked where he would rank the rivalry with the Spurs.

"You mean after the Clippers?" he said dryly.

He was later asked if Bryant also bought him a $9,800 watch in addition to Lakers teammates.

"No," Jackson said. "I have plenty of watches."

Times staff writer Jonathan Abrams contributed to this report.

SpursDynasty
05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
When are the Lakers and their fans going to realize that the Lakers aren't winning shit.

Red Hawk #21
05-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I hope Spurs fans know that they aren't getting any calls...

LakeShow
05-21-2008, 07:06 PM
THE BIG EVENT
It's showtime -- on two fronts in downtown L.A.

Basketball and entertainment will intersect as Lakers play host to Game 1 of conference finals at Staples Center and neighboring Nokia Theatre is the site for 'American Idol' season finale.
May 21, 2008

Live from downtown L.A. tonight, it's a traffic jam full of spotlights and entertainment and cultural icons:

It's Kobe Bryant, Jack Nicholson and the Lakers versus Tim Duncan, Eva Longoria Parker and the defending NBA champions, the San Antonio Spurs, in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals at Staples Center. Across the street, at the same time, in the Nokia Theatre it's David Cook versus David Archuleta in the season finale of "American Idol."

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-05/39088380-20204448.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-staples1_jv8bn1nc,0,1300809.photo) Lights, cameras, action (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-staples1_jv8bn1nc,0,1300809.photo)
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/mapimage/2008-05/39088607-20204942.gif (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-052108-sp-staples-m,0,1023512.mapimage) Map (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-052108-sp-staples-m,0,1023512.mapimage)

Common links? At least one: "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul jump-started her career as a teenager dancing as a Laker Girl during the Lakers' Showtime era of the early 1980s.

The Fox show, now in its seventh season, is the No.1-rated TV show; the Lakers, in their 48th season here, have won nine NBA titles since moving to California. And according to Las Vegas oddsmakers, the Lakers are their top choice to win the title this season.

The one certainty: On Chick Hearn Court (11th Street), one lane will be blocked tonight because of heavy traffic. Park early.

Roxsfan
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Lakers suck! Spurs in 6.

now this makes you look foolish.

cash459
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't get the comparisons here. You're comparing the Spurs' number of playoffs to the teams above them, while they are the youngest of those NBA franchises? I think the Suns have what, 8 more years in the league, yet have the same number of appearances. Now, look at the last column, and then look again at the Spurs or any team on that list.

LakeShow
05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
The beat goes on,

UCLA BASKETBALL
J'Mison Morgan announces he'll attend UCLA

The 6-11 center, rated the fourth-best high school center in the U.S. last season, had signed with LSU but changed his mind after the Tigers fired their coach.
By Diane Pucin, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
11:58 AM PDT, May 23, 2008
J'Mison Morgan, a 6-foot-11 center rated the fourth-best at his position in high school this past season, announced at a news conference today that he will attend UCLA next season.

Morgan had signed a letter of intent with Louisiana State in November but asked to be released from the letter after LSU fired Coach John Brady and hired former Stanford Coach Trent Johnson. UCLA had originally been Morgan's second choice, and his mother, Bianca, said her son wanted to reconsider UCLA after Brady was fired. "We signed to play with Coach Brady," she said. "Then he wasn't there. What UCLA has to offer with academics and basketball seemed like the best fit for J'Mison."

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-05/39168985-23113235.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-morgan_k0tylvnc,0,5765067.photo) J'Mison Morgan (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-morgan_k0tylvnc,0,5765067.photo)
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/story/2008-05/39135709-22191519.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mayo23-2008may23,0,2998400.story) O.J. Mayo, agent Calvin Andrews sever ties (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mayo23-2008may23,0,2998400.story)

Stepheson to take time in deciding on transfer (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-stepheson18-2008may18,0,2674310.story)

UCLA also will likely have plenty of playing time for Morgan. Freshman center Kevin Love has announced his intention to enter the NBA draft, and while he hasn't hired an agent, he's unlikely to withdraw before the June 16 deadline unless he suffers a severe injury.

Backup power forward Alfred Aboya, a junior, has not committed to using his final year of basketball eligibility. He will graduate this summer and wants to attend graduate school, but he is also going to play for the Cameroon national team as it tries to qualify for the Olympics.

Morgan will join an incoming class that is widely ranked as No. 1 in the country and includes a trio of top-50 guards -- North Hollywood Campbell Hall's Jrue Holiday, Riverside North's Malcolm Lee and Anaheim Canyon's Jerime Anderson -- plus power forward Drew Gordon from San Jose Archbishop Mitty.

NCAA rules say a player can only sign one letter of intent, so Morgan instead will sign a grant in aid. It is binding on UCLA but not on Morgan, who could change his mind again until he officially enrolls in class.

[email protected]

LakeShow
05-24-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2003-06/267119.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-tsimers,0,1536284.columnist) T.J. Simers (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-columnist-tsimers,0,1536284.columnist):
Lakers throw another strike at the Dodgers

May 24 2008

So I'm sitting here in Staples Center, Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers belting out the national anthem on his horn and then jumping up and down at center court like he's got them, everyone swept away by Lakers euphoria.

The coronation now only a matter of a few weeks away, I was watching Lakers heroes, on a roll and so adored -- just wondering whether they've left the Dodgers behind for good.

The Lakers have won championships before and with some mega stars bouncing the ball for them, but this love affair with the guys feels different now -- in some respects, a little over the top.

Maybe it's the Hollywood stars who drive by Dodger Stadium on their way to Staples or having the best basketball player in the game. But nothing new there.

So I wonder how much this has to do with L.A. having no NFL team, or more than that, starving Dodgers fans now looking elsewhere for some thrills and promise of continued success?

The Dodgers might counter by pointing to the 3.7 million fans they continue to attract each year, but when it comes to outright popularity here, they are no longer in the same league.

A few years ago the Dodgers opened the season in San Francisco, lost, and I noted that was interesting, because the Dodgers and Lakers were both eliminated from the playoffs on the same day.

The Dodgers have fallen off the L.A. map. Once upon a time the Dodgers were like another child in the family, but for the last 20 years, Vin Scully has been their best performer.

When he signs off, the Dodgers are going to have to stand on their own merits, and coupled with the rough crowd the Dodgers are drawing on many nights, the Dodger experience might no longer be all about growing up here, listening to Vinny and soaking in the Chavez Ravine experience.

Chick Hearn is gone, but Kobe Bryant remains.

And so does Jerry Buss, and eccentric as he might be, there is a Lakers blueprint for success, which has produced consistent results.

Present-day Dodgers management instills no such confidence, and who is the superstar in blue to match the impact that Bryant has on sports fans here?

Name a Dodgers superstar besides Mike Piazza -- who just retired and would prefer to be recognized as a Met.

The Dodgers have no one that qualifies as a must-watch highlight show, Eric Gagne maybe the last one to generate such excitement, and now we know he had to get all pumped up to do so.

James Loney and Matt Kemp offer some promise, but it will probably take some home-run punch and team success to make someone a household Dodgers hero. Kemp has the power, and a hint of charisma, but when it comes to team success, the Dodgers just aren't the same without Jose Lima.

The Dodgers tried to copy the Lakers' plan, bringing in JoeTorre to be their own Phil Jackson, but then gave him Andruw Jones, who may be as big as Shaq in some ways, but just doesn't seem to have the same impact.

The Dodgers will tell you better days are ahead with their kids. One playoff win since 1988 should speak to more urgency, but who cares if 3.7 million fans insist on buying tickets?

The Lakers sell tickets, too, and every one of them that they have, and they have young players, too.

The Lakers' younger players look good, in part, because Bryant is here confirming their value with a pat on the back.

Take away Bryant, and maybe the Lakers are the Dodgers with apologies to Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

Gasol found out what it was like to be on his own in Memphis, and Odom has been his best when surrounded by good players -- both here and in Miami.

But the Lakers have the superstar.

Who carries the Dodgers?

So far this year, it's been Duke Snider arriving in center field on opening day, Sandy Koufax taking the mound in jeans and Steve Sax sitting in the stands earlier this week waving to the fans on the scoreboard.

The Lakers can play that game, too, and then some.

They had Magic Johnson sitting on one end of the court doing TV, James Worthy handing the ball to the referee and assistant coach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sitting on the sideline.

Then the Lakers unleashed Bryant, who dictated the Spurs' terms of surrender in the third quarter, and I haven't even mentioned Andrew Bynum.

And right now in this town, there's more interest in Bynum than any Dodger.

And what does that say about the Dodgers?

THE PLAY of the night might have been Jordan Farmar's sky-high leap to block Ime Udoke's breakaway layup.

When asked if he had ever made such a play before, he said, "maybe in high school."

What about at UCLA.

"I was too tired playing defense," he said, and Ben Howland should get a good laugh out of that.

TODAY'S LAST word comes in e-mail from Al Taylor:

"I enjoyed you giving Jim Hill credit for doing what many others in your profession wouldn't do in supporting the charity. However, you couldn't help yourself by belittling what he did in comparing it to not buying a suit. It was crass and classless, as if you had to find a backhanded way to negate his contribution."

You're right. Jim Hill maybe having to wear the same suit twice is no laughing matter.

T.J. Simers can be reached at

LakeShow
05-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Damn, UCLA is serious! :toast

COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Alex Stepheson to leave North Carolina

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/38938898.jpgEmail Picture (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/ucla/la-sp-stepheson17_jyvuy0nc,0,6776032,email.photo)

Streeter Lecka / Getty Images
North Carolina forward Alex Stepheson, shown playing against Cole Aldrich of Kansas in the Final Four, has been granted his release from the Tar Heels so that he can be closer to his family in Los Angeles.

Former Harvard-Westlake standout is granted his release so he can be closer to home because of family health concerns. UCLA and USC are expected to be interested in the 6-9 power forward.
May 17, 2008

Alex Stepheson, a 6-foot-9 power forward at North Carolina who was a basketball standout at North Hollywood Harvard-Westlake High, has been granted his release from the Tar Heels so that he can be closer to his family in Los Angeles.

UCLA and USC are expected to be among the schools interested in Stepheson, who averaged six points a game during the NCAA tournament.

Stepheson, who will be a junior, said in a statement on North Carolina's basketball website, "My family is dealing with some health challenges at this time and as a result I have made the decision to transfer to be closer to home."

Stepheson would have to sit out one season unless he is granted a waiver by the NCAA.

"I am extremely, extremely disappointed, but I feel so great about Alex that I understand his decision to transfer," North Carolina Coach Roy Williams said. "He is doing this because of health concerns, and by being closer to home he will be able to provide the necessary support and help his family needs at this time.

"He is a wonderful kid. I thoroughly enjoyed coaching him and know that he would have contributed so much more in the next two years. Nevertheless, I have tremendous respect for Alex and know that he will always be part of our Carolina basketball family. I'll miss him, but he will always be important to me."

-- Eric Sondheimer

LakeShow
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
:king:king:king:king:king:king:king:king:king:king

That's right!

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-05/39318914.jpg Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times

Spurs forward Brent Barry grabs a rebound from Lakers forward Luke Walton during Game 4 on Tuesday night.
Email Picture (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/lat-lakers_k1k9nznc20080527213126,0,3407571,email.phot o)

They never trail and barely avoid a last-minute collapse to get to within one win of the NBA Finals.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
May 28, 2008
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers28-2008may28,0,4684261.story

LakeShow
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0529/nba_g_lakers1_580.jpg Photo by Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty Images
The biggest difference in this series is that the Lakers had Kobe Bryant, while the Spurs did not.

LakeShow
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Gameday! :king

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_finals_05.3eb8574.html

Don't expect a knockout in Round 11 of Lakers-Celtics battle

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/06-05/nba_finals_lakers200_200.jpgLakers-Celtics.

Round 11.

Will this be another of those classic confrontations?

The Lakers and Celtics are the most storied franchise in the NBA. They have combined to win half of the 60 NBA championships. They had one of the game's best rivalries during the 1960s, '70s and '80s.

Now the Lakers and Celtics are back at it again, playing each other for the NBA championship for the 11th time, starting with Game 1 of the Finals tonight at TD Banknorth Garden.

The desire to win for both franchises is as strong as ever.

Kobe Bryant has won three NBA championships with the Lakers, but those were considered Shaquille O'Neal's teams. Bryant yearns to be the man this time.

Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, Boston's Big Three, have never even been to the Finals before.

This is their chance to become a part of Celtics lore, and Bryant knows the hunger those three have and what it'll be like for the Lakers to face Garnett, Allen and Pierce.

"Tough," Bryant said, laughing. "It's going to be tough.

"What it boils down to in the Finals is you obviously have a lot of hunger, you have the will to win, which is great. But from my experience, you have to execute. You can want it worse than anybody on this planet, but if you don't have a group of guys or a team that collectively executes well enough to win, you're not going to win."

The Lakers have players with championship pedigree in Bryant and Derek Fisher, both of whom were a part of the team's three straight NBA titles from 2000 to 2002.

The Celtics do have Sam Cassell and James Posey who have won titles, but they are supporting players.

"Obviously Kobe and D-Fish, they have their experience," Garnett said. "But at the end of the day, it's basketball. You play it the way you know. You bring what you bring. Play with your heart and soul and play together, as a team."

Both the Lakers and Celtics got here because of big moves they made.
Last summer, the Celtics acquired Garnett from Minnesota and Allen from Seattle and put the two of them together with Pierce.

Boston produced the best record in the NBA at 66-16.
The Celtics struggled some in the playoffs, going to seven games against the Atlanta Hawks and Cleveland Cavaliers before disposing of the Detroit Pistons in six games in the Eastern Conference finals. But Boston is 11-1 at home.

The Lakers began their drive when they acquired Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies on Feb. 1.

Los Angeles earned the best record in the tough Western Conference (57-25) and then swept Denver in the first round, beat Utah in six games in the conference semifinals and knocked out the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs in five games.

The Lakers lost both regular-season games to the Celtics, but they are a different team now.

"Obviously our team has changed tremendously with the addition of Pau," Luke Walton said. "We didn't have him in either one of those games. The Celtics have been a great team since the start of the season. A lot of people thought it was going to take time for them to blend together, but they've done an outstanding job of coming right out of the gates from start to finish."

The Celtics make their mark on defense, allowing 90.2 points per game during the regular season, second best in the league. They became even stingier in the postseason, giving up just 87 points, tops in the league.
The Lakers, on the other hand, averaged 108 points during the regular season, 105 in the playoffs, which is tops.

Because of that, many have the Lakers as the favorites for them to bring home the franchise's 15th championship banner.

"The belief in our ability to win this series is from within," Fisher said. "Whatever people feel outside of it is appreciated and understood and respected. We know it comes with the territory. But for the most part, we're still carrying that bunker mentality that it's really just us and everybody else can feel how they want to feel."

Reach Broderick Turner at [email protected] ([email protected])

LakeShow
06-05-2008, 12:42 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0604/nba_g_bryant1_580.jpg
Photo by Joe Murphy/NBAE via Getty Images
Lakers star Kobe Bryant gets a feel for the TD Banknorth Garden rims Wednesday in Boston. The experts (see below) like his chances of picking up his first NBA title without Shaq by his side.

Lakers The Pick For Almost All Our Experts

Editor's Note: Here's how our experts called the Lakers-Cetlics series.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/sml/trans/lal.gif

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: Predictions do not sit well with me: One of my favorite things about sports is that I enter the arena not knowing what will happen. I don't want to predict! But I do, and I did. I have already been on ESPN.com saying I think the Lakers will win in 5. That was when I was high on having seen L.A. beat the Spurs, however. Now I have sobered up. I don't think it'll be 5 anymore. I think it'll be 7, and I have no idea who will take it ... and I love it that way.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: I see the Lakers winning at least one of the first two games in Boston, then getting two at home and closing it out back in Boston with a vintage performance by Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3118). Biggest statistical factors: The Celtics' rebounding and the Lakers' 3-point shooting. Lakers in 6.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: The Lakers will win in 6 games or less by taking one of two on the road and either sweeping at home or finishing things in Game 6.
Their superior offense and system gives them more margin for error from any individual player. They have two answers for Boston's terrific defense, Kobe and the Triangle.
Title series experience and Phil Jackson help too.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: Lakers in 6. The Lakers have been on fire since acquiring Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3513) -- they're now 34-7 in the 41 games he's played, including going 12-3 in the playoffs against a trio of 50-win teams. Boston is no slouch either, obviously, with 66 wins and home-court advantage, but one gets the impression the Celtics peaked too soon. L.A. is right on time.

J.A. Adande: Normally experience is worth one game in the Finals, and with two starters who have been there before the Lakers should have the edge in Game 1. They won't sweep the middle three at home, but if they can mature at the rate they did the past two series, they will be able to finish in Boston in Game 6.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/sml/trans/bos.gif

Tim Legler, ESPN: The Celtics have been the most complete team in the NBA all season and KG's heart cannot be overstated.
Finally, the game will inevitably slow down in the fourth quarter and I will put my money on the team that defends, rebounds, and is more physical. Celtics in 7.

Jalen Rose, ESPN: Lakers in 6. One reason is Phil Jackson. The guy who has won nine championships is going to press the right buttons at the right time.

Also, Kobe Bryant. The motivation to win without Shaq is huge.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Lakers in 5. Kobe and Co. just have too much in their favor.

They're deeper, fresher, younger, more versatile and they have a crucial experience edge in this series of Finals newbies with Kobe The Closer and Derek Fisher's savvy. They've already won huge games in hostile environments like Utah and San Antonio, so I see L.A. winning at least one of the first two games in Boston, then really hurting the Celts at home.

MateoNeygro
06-05-2008, 03:06 PM
What's sad is no one can name a Rocket outside of McGrady, Yao, and Scola (for Spurs fans)

Shane Battier, Rafer Alston, Chuck Hayes?, Luther Head, i dunno anymore

LakeShow
06-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Getting Her Name in Lights (http://my.wnba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1800002678)
Jun 25, 2008
Posted by: Adam Hirshfield (http://my.wnba.com/profile.jspa?userID=1700000005), WNBA.com It's been an exciting couple of days for Sparks rookie Candace Parker.
First, she became just the second WNBA player to dunk in a regular season game, bringing it home one-handed on a breakaway late in a victory over Indiana.

http://www.wnba.com/media/dunk1.jpg (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/wnba/wnba/pod/parker_c_080622.asx)
Click here to see the video. Next, on Monday, she was named the 2008 Honda-Broderick Cup winner (http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/20658189.html), an award given annually to the female collegiate athlete of the year. The news was highlighted (as you can see below) on a a Reuters billboard in Times Square in New York City. Click on the photo for more info.
http://www.wnba.com/media/candace-parker_490.jpg (http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/20658189.html)
Then, Tuesday, she dunked for the second straight game as her Sparks took down the Storm in L.A.

http://www.wnba.com/features/powerrankings_080624.html

A new SA vs LA rivalry?NOTES 1

http://www.wnba.com/media/sparks_logo_70x70.gif

Los Angeles (http://www.wnba.com/sparks/) (1)

9-3 The Sparks retain the top spot, despite a loss to smokin'-hot San Antonio, thanks to wins over Chicago and Indiana. In the latter, yes, everyone knows that Candace Parker became the second WNBA player to dunk in a regular season game, but she also had 10 points, 10 boards, 4 assists and 4 blocks. Lisa Leslie and DeLisha Milton-Jones are coming close to joining her in double-double land and Kiesha Brown has been very solid since getting tossed in at the point.
Looking ahead: 6/24 vs. SEA, 6/26 vs. WAS 2

http://www.wnba.com/media/shock_logo_70x70.gif

Detroit (http://www.wnba.com/shock/) (3)

10-3 Sure, this week's wins came over Minnesota and Atlanta, but wins are wins, and in this short regular season, every one of them counts the same. Player of the Week Deanna Nolan put up a career-high 44 against the Lynx and rookies Tasha Humphrey and Alexis Hornbuckle are working their way into the regular rotation. The Shock are looking strong heading into a home-and-home series against the Sun, the team with which they're tied atop the Eastern Conference standings.
Looking ahead: 6/24 @ CT, 6/26 vs. CT, 6/28 @ CHI, 6/29 vs. ATL 3

http://www.wnba.com/media/sun_logo_70x70.gif

Connecticut (http://www.wnba.com/sun/) (2)

10-3 The Sun have to be content with their 3-2 record on their long, five-game West Coast swing. After Wednesday's 21-point loss at Phoenix, they rebounded to score a solid victory Friday in Sacramento. Coach Mike Thibault continues to get solid play from Lindsay Whalen, Asjha Jones, Tamika Whitmore and the now-starting Barbara Turner. Meanwhile rookies Amber Holt, Sandrine Gruda, Ketia Swanier and Jolene Anderson continue to get their feet wet as the wins keep coming in.
Looking ahead: 6/24 vs. DET, 6/26 @ DET, 6/27 vs. ATL, 6/29 vs. PHX 4

http://www.wnba.com/media/silverstars/stars_logo_70x70.gif

San Antonio (http://www.wnba.com/silverstars/) (5)

8-4 There is no hotter team in the WNBA than the Silver Stars, who have won five straight and could push that number to seven with a sweep of their upcoming home-and-home vs. the Comets. Becky Hammon could have been the West's Player of the Week, Sophia Young continues her excellence in the paint and Ann Wauters is showing why coach Dan Hughes was so keen on bringing her in this spring.
Looking ahead: 6/24 vs. HOU, 6/26 @ HOU, 6/28 vs. MIN

Southern California stars go 3-4-5 at NBA Draft
http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/06-27/nba_draft_inlandstars2_400.jpg

LakeShow
07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0701/nba_g_bdavis1_580.jpg
Even our JV team is getting stronger! BDiddy is coming home. It's party time! :toast

Now hook up your boy, Pooh Jeter! :D I love LA!!!!

stretch
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Clippers > Lakers

ClipshowDynasty
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
the clips own staples center and LA so u lakers fans GTFO

LakeShow
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/beijinghome00_418_080824.jpg
-- Garrabrant/Ellwood/NBAE/Getty Images

Golden Time for Golden Teams

Two separate journeys, two similar rewards. While the U.S. Women (http://www.wnba.com/usab/beijing_2008.html) prolonged their dynasty with a fourth straight gold medal, the Men (http://www.nba.com/usabasketball2008/index.html) found golden redemption. Men: Schuhmann: Redemption Complete (http://www.nba.com/usabasketball2008/gold_20080824.html) | Blog (http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=5800006278&start=0) | Pics (http://www.nba.com/gallery/olympicmen/080824_1.html) | Argentina earns bronze (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28376/FE_news_lateNews_arti.html)
Women: Schuhmann: U.S. On Top (http://www.wnba.com/usab/goldmedal_20080823.html) | Pics (http://www.wnba.com/gallery/olympicwomen/080823_1.html) | Bronze to Russia (http://www.wnba.com/games/bronze_russia_china_080823.html) | Beijing's Best (http://www.nba.com/beijing2008/schuhmann_080818.html)

LakeShow
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
What a beautiful day in LA. :toast

stretch
03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
he really means houston

resistanze
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
what a beautiful day in la. :toast

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0604/nba_g_bryant1_580.jpg
photo by joe murphy/nbae via getty images
lakers star kobe bryant gets a feel for the td banknorth garden rims wednesday in boston. The experts (see below) like his chances of picking up his first nba title without shaq by his side.

lakers the pick for almost all our experts

editor's note: Here's how our experts called the lakers-cetlics series.

henry abbott, truehoop: predictions do not sit well with me: One of my favorite things about sports is that i enter the arena not knowing what will happen. I don't want to predict! But i do, and i did. I have already been on espn.com saying i think the lakers will win in 5. That was when i was high on having seen l.a. Beat the spurs, however. Now i have sobered up. I don't think it'll be 5 anymore. I think it'll be 7, and i have no idea who will take it ... And i love it that way.

chris sheridan, espn.com: i see the lakers winning at least one of the first two games in boston, then getting two at home and closing it out back in boston with a vintage performance by kobe bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsid=3118). Biggest statistical factors: The celtics' rebounding and the lakers' 3-point shooting. Lakers in 6.

david thorpe, scouts inc.: the lakers will win in 6 games or less by taking one of two on the road and either sweeping at home or finishing things in game 6.
Their superior offense and system gives them more margin for error from any individual player. They have two answers for boston's terrific defense, kobe and the triangle.
Title series experience and phil jackson help too.

john hollinger, espn.com: lakers in 6. The lakers have been on fire since acquiring pau gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsid=3513) -- they're now 34-7 in the 41 games he's played, including going 12-3 in the playoffs against a trio of 50-win teams. Boston is no slouch either, obviously, with 66 wins and home-court advantage, but one gets the impression the celtics peaked too soon. L.a. Is right on time.

j.a. Adande: normally experience is worth one game in the finals, and with two starters who have been there before the lakers should have the edge in game 1. They won't sweep the middle three at home, but if they can mature at the rate they did the past two series, they will be able to finish in boston in game 6.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/sml/trans/bos.gif

tim legler, espn: the celtics have been the most complete team in the nba all season and kg's heart cannot be overstated.
Finally, the game will inevitably slow down in the fourth quarter and i will put my money on the team that defends, rebounds, and is more physical. Celtics in 7.

jalen rose, espn: lakers in 6. One reason is phil jackson. The guy who has won nine championships is going to press the right buttons at the right time.

Also, kobe bryant. The motivation to win without shaq is huge.

marc stein, espn.com: lakers in 5. Kobe and co. Just have too much in their favor.

They're deeper, fresher, younger, more versatile and they have a crucial experience edge in this series of finals newbies with kobe the closer and derek fisher's savvy. They've already won huge games in hostile environments like utah and san antonio, so i see l.a. Winning at least one of the first two games in boston, then really hurting the celts at home.
lmao

stretch
03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
i still dont know why he keeps insisting on being a lakers fan and from LA and all. he is a rockets troll in houston that poses as a lakers fan, for the sole purpose of talking shit to spurs fans because he knows houston fans cant.

benefactor
03-13-2009, 12:27 PM
lmao
Exactly. Why bump this thread? It's like re-living your own epic failure.

LakeShow
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
i still dont know why he keeps insisting on being a lakers fan and from LA and all. he is a rockets troll in houston that poses as a lakers fan, for the sole purpose of talking shit to spurs fans because he knows houston fans cant.

Inchworm, give it up. I know being a mavs fan you have absolutely nothing to talk about but give it a break. It's old.

SpursDynasty
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
The Lakers have an impressive history, but if you're talking modern-era NBA, it's 8 championships. The 50s, 60s, and 70s NBA are really irrelevant as far as today's standards go. The 80s were their decade, they were absent in the 90s, and were dominant for one-third of this decade, which has long passed...

So, all in all, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom aren't joining the list of Magic, Kareem, Wilt, etc. as being a significant part of the Laker history.

pauls931
03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
did LA just win 9 titles in a row?

aka_USAPA
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
QFT!

What is amazing is even the first season after the Summer 04 implosion, the Lakers were a serious playoff contender. They were very unstable with coaching and did not have much of a system. Injuries, chemistry, Rudy T leaving and all, they were right there in the playoff race until late in the year. Kobe had trust issues with his teamates etc etc. That is was the worst part on rebuilding this team. Phil Jackson returns the next season with a year to recharge and they make it back to the playoffs. 2 and a half years and Phil comes back to a rebuilding team....BOOM they make it back as the most hated team in basketball. The Lakers dont suck for long. Best franchise in NBA History. :)

The Celtics are the most hated team in the NBA with KG and his constant chest fist pumping.

aka_USAPA
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I miss this place but as the playoffs loom, can't help but check this place out.

Where's men in black? Dude is a stand-up guy. He was graceful in defeat and paid off our bet with dignity and class. Yo, bro!!!! The Spurs and Lakers are on collision course in the playoffs again. Want revenge?

LakeShow
06-15-2009, 12:15 AM
YES! The Lakers are back where they belong, On top of the World. Get used to it sportsfans and haters, the lakers will be here for a long time. Book It!

The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers!