PDA

View Full Version : Stu Jackson f***ed up

GSH
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I told the readers on this forum, well in advance of it being released, that there was video from a different camera that showed that Amare Stoudamire was lying when he said that Bruce Bowen had kicked him during a playoff game. I also told you that there were a large number of NBA refs who had violated the league's gambling policy, long before Stern [sort of] admitted it. (You still haven't heard the whole story on that one.) I can tell you that I have this next bit from what I consider a very reliable source. You can believe it or not, I really don't care. For those that don't care to read this whole thing, I will just say that Stu Jackson may have written his ticket out of the NBA league office with this one. Time will tell.

There is a video clip from the opposite (bench) side of the court that shows what really happened on the floor between Bowen and Chris Paul. And that clip makes Bowen's suspension look just about as ridiculous as Joey Crawford ejecting Duncan for laughing last year. Stu Jackson was made aware of the video, but made his mind up without seeing it. (Maybe even refusing to look at it?) Worse than that, he took at least one call from an official with another Western Conference team that influenced his decision to suspend Bowen. (Read that to mean that someone called Stu to complain about Bowen, and he agreed that Bruce has "a history".) That comment was apparently made before a proper review of the game film was even made.

In an interview from a couple of years ago, "Mr. Jackson, the NBA executive in charge of discipline, says: "We evaluate each case individually based upon the incident itself, based upon the player, whether he's had any prior offense, and finally on the severity of the act." It looks like Stuey decided that Bowen's priors were enough to warrant a suspension, even though the act clearly wasn't sufficient. The question is, why was he listening to representative(s) from a team not involved in the game?

For those not familiar with the procedure, Bowen has the right to appeal the ruling after the end of the season. He may very well get all, or part of his money back. But nothing will make up for missing the game - he will serve that suspension without any possibility of appeal. In this incredibly tight Western Conference race, that could determine the outcome of the season.

During the investigation of the referee gambling scandal it came to light that Stu Jackson was, at the very best, incompetent. You can take your pick about whether he ignored, intentionally ignored, or covered up some known problems with referees around the league. At the beginning of the season, David Stern announced that Jackson was being demoted - although he claimed that his role was being "altered" and "expanded". The truth is, Jackson's old job was split between two people, and Jackson will no longer have anything to do with referees. Instead, he is dealling more with the international aspects of the league. Some think that he will either accept the role of VP of International Relations, or get pushed out altogether. Regardless of what it is called, Jackson was demoted, and he is apparently none to happy about it.

What, you may ask, does that have to do with Bowen's suspension? I'll admit that I didn't put it together. But it seems that some of Pop's comments about the Pau Gasol trade may have been directed towards Jackson for approving the deal. (Was Stuey making brownie points for an eventual move back to team management?) Regardless of Pop's intent, it seems that Jackson was none too happy with his comments about the Gasol trade.

When this season is over, and Bowen gets to appeal his suspension, he is going to get his money back. (But that will be a closed-door decision.) And Jackson's decision is going to be reviewed as well. From what I understand, the video evidence makes the suspension, and Stu Jackson, look like a joke. Unless it looks like payback... in which case it may make Stuey look like the ex-VP of Basketball Operations. He has made the league, and Stern, look like an idiot once already. This could be his swan song.

For those of you in doubt, compare what Bruce did to the other 1-game suspensions in the past few seasons. Jackson had the ability to hand down a fine, if he saw fit. But the suspension is completely out of line for the contact that occurred.

The last thing I am interested in is comments from the multitude of trolls on this board lately. If the Spurs fans have doubts that's understandable. The main reason I posted this was to get word out about the other video. (Don't you wonder why you haven't seen anything from the bench side of the court?) Maybe Bowen can save part or all of the $300K the suspension would cost him. Anything I have said here would be impossible to back up without costing a job or two - and maybe not even then. Call it fiction... but keep an eye on Stuey in the near future. I really think he's cooked.

Findog
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I will just say that Stu Jackson may have written his ticket out of the NBA league office with this one. Time will tell.

That would be awesome.

Kori Ellis
03-14-2008, 08:15 PM
The main reason I posted this was to get word out about the other video.

Thanks for the post. But we know about the videos with other angles. The one from the Spurs broadcast clearly shows that Bowen didn't do much and was hit in the balls by Paul. We put the clip of it up on YouTube.

urunobili
03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Amen

urunobili
03-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the post. But we know about the videos with other angles. The one from the Spurs broadcast clearly shows that Bowen didn't do much and was hit in the balls by Paul. We put the clip of it up on YouTube.
do you have a link to it Kori? i haven't seen it

Kori Ellis
03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
hZNwSC_6H90

Watch the slow motion part.

freemeat
03-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Maybe Bowen can save part or all of the $300K the suspension would cost him.

Nice write-up. If the allegations are true that it's a sort of "F-U" to Pop, then Stu absolutely deserves to be canned. He's a tool.

Just curious, though, where the $300K comes from? I was under the impression that he would lose his pro-rated salary for one game, which would come out to around $50,304. I haven't heard anything about a fine also being handed down, but I'm sure it isn't in the range of $250K!

ChuckD
03-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Stu Jackson was an affirmative action hire. He couldn't find his ass with both hands, a magnifying glass, and a map. I've been following the NBA for 25+ years, and he's the worst hire into that position, ever.

Radiosparks
03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Stu is a freaking tool! He absolutely deserves to be canned regardless if what you say is true.

jag
03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking he ended up getting suspended for the accumulation of all the past incidents.

ChuckD
03-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm thinking he ended up getting suspended for the accumulation of all the past incidents.
The only cumulative thing you're supposed to be suspended for is flagrants, and that resets every year. If Stu Jackson suspended him for his rep, he NEEDS to be fired immediately, if not sooner.

TampaDude
03-14-2008, 09:59 PM
This just in...Stern fires Jackson and orders tonight's game between the Pistons and Spurs to be replayed...Bowen to start for the Spurs in the do-over... :D

jag
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
The only cumulative thing you're supposed to be suspended for is flagrants, and that resets every year. If Stu Jackson suspended him for his rep, he NEEDS to be fired immediately, if not sooner.

I didnt say that Stu doesnt suck, i just said that bowen's rep has caught up to him. I dont even think he's dirty, i just think he frustrates players and they complain and give him a bad image. And now everyone is buying into it.

Lebowski Brickowski
03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Scully: Is it another government cover up, Moulder?

Moulder: I want to BELIEVE.

Seriously -- The whole thing smells rotten, especially in light of the above video. I don't know all about retaliation over implied interpretations of Pop's comments on the gasol trade. BUT I can definitely agree that stuj is worse than incompetent. He's a downright blowhard.

GSH
03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Nice write-up. If the allegations are true that it's a sort of "F-U" to Pop, then Stu absolutely deserves to be canned. He's a tool.

Just curious, though, where the $300K comes from? I was under the impression that he would lose his pro-rated salary for one game, which would come out to around $50,304. I haven't heard anything about a fine also being handed down, but I'm sure it isn't in the range of $250K!

That's a good point. I took the number right off of a news story, and didn't even question it. (A nice way of saying I didn't stop and think.) Looks like they have corrected it. Now they say $37,000.

boutons_
03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I love the way Bruce raises HIS HANDS as he steps on Paul WITH HIS FEET to get away from him.

"Don't watch my feet, watch my hands" :lol

SpurOutofTownFan
03-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Stu is gone. Mark my words. He will regret what he did.

GSH
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Scully: Is it another government cover up, Moulder?

Moulder: I want to BELIEVE.

Seriously -- The whole thing smells rotten, especially in light of the above video. I don't know all about retaliation over implied interpretations of Pop's comments on the gasol trade. BUT I can definitely agree that stuj is worse than incompetent. He's a downright blowhard.

I didn't say it was a cover up. I think before it's over, Stuey may wish he could cover it up.

The parts of the story I feel pretty solid about are:
1. Jackson listened to the whining of another team's GM, rather than reviewing the game film like he should.
2. He made up his mind before seeing all the camera angles, based on Bowen's "history".
3. There is video from the bench side of the court that wasn't used to make the decision. That video is conclusive enough that it makes the suspension a joke. And anyone who sees it (including David Stern) will understand that Stuey blew the call.

The rest is specualtion and extrapolation:
1. I'm pretty sure that Pop was more upset about the Gasol trade than any "normal" trade, and it has something to do with Stu Jackson. I can't think of many things that would fit that mold.
2. Jackson has to be aware that Pop's comments ultimately point his direction. I wouldn't expect him to be happy about that.
3. Jackson screwed up with the referee debacle. Stern found out about it, and Stuey's duties were "adjusted" so that he no longer has anything to do with referees.
4. I don't think Stern will tolerate another screw-up from Jackson that makes the league look stupid. Allowing the Gasol trade is just about enough to qualify. Suspending a player for no reason, and in a way that even looks like it could be payback? That might be enough to finish him off.

If you saw Pop's comment that the incident didn't measure up to the kinds of contact that normally draw suspensions, you would be tempted to read between the lines and ask, "Why?" What would make Stu Jackson hand down a suspension for something that didn't warrent it? Popovich and the Spurs organization are usually pretty tight-lipped.

You remember when Pop told Steve Kerr that he was "wearing too many hats"? It was a small comment, but there was a whole lot behind it. I don't think Pop would have said anything about the Gasol trade unless there was more to the story, either. And based on the way he phrased his comment about Bowen's suspension, I think he believes there is more to this story too.

BTW... ask yourself what GM in the league would call Stu Jackson about something Bowen (allegedly) did in a game against the Hornets.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Stu Jackson was an affirmative action hire. He couldn't find his ass with both hands, a magnifying glass, and a map. I've been following the NBA for 25+ years, and he's the worst hire into that position, ever.

Remember when he coached the Knicks? He was worse than Isiah

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 11:48 PM
BTW... ask yourself what GM in the league would call Stu Jackson about something Bowen (allegedly) did in a game against the Hornets.

Sam Presti

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Honestly, though, I've said Stu Jackson was a terrible hire from the beginning. I got blasted for saying it last year when he suspended Kobe and for saying it when he suspended Diaw and Amare.

His mis-applied the "letter of the law" in the WCSF last year, but what else can you expect from a moron?

SKINNYPIMP210
03-14-2008, 11:50 PM
hZNwSC_6H90

Watch the slow motion part.

OMG! That was the first time I have seen the video and Bruce didn't even touch him with his knee! Wow dude, the NBA hates the Spurs.... :drunk

SpurOutofTownFan
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
OMG! That was the first time I have seen the video and Bruce didn't even touch him with his knee! Wow dude, the NBA hates the Spurs.... :drunk

The NY Knicks homer should take a look at that :bang

freemeat
03-14-2008, 11:55 PM

Sam Presti

Um...I'm gonna have to say Steve Kerr.

Doesn't he hate the Spurs now?

Shank
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Whine.
Take the loss.
Move on.

RonMexico
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I stick by Presti, Daryl Morey or Mitch Kupchak as the culprit(s).

Buford to Presti: "Et tu?"

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Whine.
Take the loss.
Move on.

Don't you know??? The Spurs are in cahoots with the NBA to tank and avoid the Mavs. It's all a big conspiracy, mah brutha...a C-O-N.....SPIRACY!!! :lol

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't you know??? The Spurs are in cahoots with the NBA to tank and avoid the Mavs. It's all a big conspiracy, mah brutha...a C-O-N.....SPIRACY!!! :lol

No he said move on, nothing about conspiracy.

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
No he said move on, nothing about conspiracy.

Look...up in the sky...it's a bird...no, it's a plane...no, it's my joke, sailing high over your head! :lol

Obstructed_View
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Honestly, though, I've said Stu Jackson was a terrible hire from the beginning. I got blasted for saying it last year when he suspended Kobe and for saying it when he suspended Diaw and Amare.

His mis-applied the "letter of the law" in the WCSF last year, but what else can you expect from a moron?
I was wondering how long it would be before a Suns fan would be in here to try to piggyback.

The Suns had a chance to suggest a change to that rule in the offseason and didn't. You lose.

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Look...up in the sky...it's a bird...no, it's a plane...no, it's my joke, sailing high over your head! :lol

Your "joke" sucked dick, how can you even call that a joke..."mah brotha" good god..

Mav hate has long been played out on this forum, if you're going to do it at least make it interesting

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:53 AM
You're "joke" sucked dick

Mav hate has long been played out on this forum, if you're going to do it at least make it interesting

You're??? :lmao

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
You're??? :lmao

Omg, it's the punctuation police!

ChuckD
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I was wondering how long it would be before a Suns fan would be in here to try to piggyback.

The Suns had a chance to suggest a change to that rule in the offseason and didn't. You lose.
Actually, I think Phoenix did suggest the rule change, but everyone ELSE remembered those horrible, fight-marred NYK/MIA series , and didn't bite. It's a good rule. It's easy to understand if you have a normal IQ, and easy to enforce, because you don't have to determine intent. If you leave the bench during an altercation, you're getting an unpaid vacation, length TBD.

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Actually, your error was one of grammar, not punctuation.

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, your error was one of grammar, not punctuation.

Punctuation and police both start with a P, it just goes better together. I guess my joke flew right over your head!!!!:rolleyes

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Punctuation and police both start with a P, it just goes better together. I guess my joke flew right over your head!!!!:rolleyes

Your attempt at an awesome alliteration appeared actually asinine. :lol

mavs>spurs2
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Your attempt at an awesome alliteration appeared actually asinine. :lol
:lmao Ok, I actually laughed out loud at that.

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
:lmao Ok, I actually laughed out loud at that.

Okay...truce, then... :toast

Obstructed_View
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Actually, I think Phoenix did suggest the rule change, but everyone ELSE remembered those horrible, fight-marred NYK/MIA series , and didn't bite. It's a good rule. It's easy to understand if you have a normal IQ, and easy to enforce, because you don't have to determine intent. If you leave the bench during an altercation, you're getting an unpaid vacation, length TBD.
The Suns talked about it to the media and anyone that would listen, bemoaning their fate and talking about the conspiracy against them, but when the board of governors met and there was a chance to do something they reaffirmed the rule with no motions, not even from Robert Sarver. Sarver gave a statement that the board of governors had no ability to change that particular rule, which is completely false.

David Stern put the issue to the competition committee and was told to move on; every member that was a former NBA player told him they wouldn't change the rule at all.

SAGambler
03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
From looking at the video, if Tony would have hit the floor trying to get the ball instead of trying to pick it up while still on his feet, the whole incident would have been avoided.

However it would appear that CP3 first tried to hit Tony, and then in fact did hit Bruce. After watching this thing numerous times, I have yet to see what Bruce was "supposed to have done" that would warrant even a foul, much less a suspension. All he was trying to do was get his feet back on the floor and run. It even appears, though it's hard to say for sure, that Paul may have wrapped his arm around Bruces leg, in an attempt to throw him down.

myhc
03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
what's with chris paul and his affinity for dudes crotches when the going gets tough? :lol

YoMamaIsCallin
03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I love the way Bruce raises HIS HANDS as he steps on Paul WITH HIS FEET to get away from him.

"Don't watch my feet, watch my hands" :lol

I just watched that whole video, including the slo-mo, three times.

Never does Bowen step on Paul. You are seeing things!

The worst you could possibly say is that he kicked him in the side. If he did, it was clearly nothing close to intentional, he was trying to step back as Paul spun 90 degrees on the floor. His foot never moved towards Paul.

What really happened was that it was a basketball play. Paul lost the ball behind him, dove backwards to get it, and rolled over with the ball on his chest. Bowen stepped over him and tried to tie him up. Paul moved the ball down towards his feet then up into Bruce's crotch! From there it was basically Bruce trying to get away, as the whistle blew for Paul's foul.

I was baffled why Bruce was suspended. All the other suspensions I've seen, you at least could understand the rationale (whether you agreed or not). This one had me going, "Huh? I don't get it. Nothing happened."

The OP's explanation at least makes sense.

ChuckD
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Grammar Gendarmes.

LEONARD
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Cliff Notes version? :lol

Shaolin-Style
03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Bruce Bowen got treated like he was Ron Artest.

Only Bowen doesn't act like a prick, yet he still has a reputation "bad" enough where he gets suspended for this kind of stupid bullshit. Clearly not intentional, I'd slap Stu Jackson across the face with the tape of it if I ever got the chance.