PDA

View Full Version : It would be perfect if the playoffs started today....

50 cent
03-14-2008, 11:55 PM
1. Lakers vs. 8. Golden State

2. Houston vs. 7. Dallas

3. New Orleans vs. 6. Phoenix

4. Utah vs. Spurs.

I know we aren't playing well, but this would be ideal starting out. We own Utah.

The Lakers and GS battle it out and we get the winner. Sure, LA would be tough, but we can take them based on experience alone.

A hot Houston and the Mavs battle it out and then play Phoenix or New Orleans.

All are mentally weak teams with no Playoff experience and we kill whoever comes out if we get past round 2.

Then we punch it out against the Pistons and win in 6 or 7 for title #5. :clap
All the Playoff inexperienced teams beat each other up and

mikejones99
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
that would be the finals, right there, again, this time it goes 6

duncan228
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I agree we'd have no problem with Utah, but the 4-5 match up is the one I'm usually the most nervous about.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Do people still think we made a mistake by trading for Kidd? That it won't make us better in May?

Here are some figures:

Before
FG% 45.9

After
FG%48.0

Before
3% 33.3

After
3% 44.3

Dirk Before
FG% 47.0

Dirk After
FG% 53.0

Dirk Before
3% 28.7

Dirk After
3% 58.1

Brutalis
03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Do people still think we made a mistake by trading for Kidd? That it won't make us better in May?

Here are some figures:

In how many games?

Right.

bobbyjoe
03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Wow, a 1-4 stretch against 5 playoff caliber teams and then wanting the playoffs to start today and thinking the Spurs are favored?

How can you 7-13 in your last 20 against .500 or better teams and say "bring it on"?

Utah is ridiculously hot. The Houston streak is overshadowing them, but the funny thing is they are like 1 game back of Houston for the 2008 Calendar Year. Deron is playing unbelievable ball and Okur/AK47 are so much more comfortable in their roles than last year.

Utah is absolutely a championship contender, if not the flat out favorite in the West (SA is struggling badly, so are the Lakers lately, and Houston is slowing down and lacks Yao).

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:05 AM
In how many games?

Right.

They're just trying to shoot some shots and made a few lucky flukes. No surprises there. :rolleyes

freemeat
03-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Damn...just goes to show how deep the West is. The WCFinalists would meet as the 4 & 5 in the first round the following year!?!? Insane...

Who else is with me when I say there won't be a single game not worth tuning into in the West -- from round 1 to round 3. Meanwhile, in the East, there won't be anything interesting until there's a series between two teams amongst DET, BOS and CLE. Which means, there will be two total interesting playoff series through three rounds of Eastern playoffs with probably seven amazing ones in the West.

Sick. Absolutely sick.

Brutalis
03-15-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't honestly care who we play. The West is all the more of a shootout this season and anyone could be anywhere when the final whistle blows.

Whoever it is, I hope we can slow it down. Grab the neck, and crack, old fashion Spurs.

freemeat
03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
They're just trying to shoot some shots

I love redundancy, especially when it repeats itself.

bobbyjoe
03-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Here are some figures:

Before
FG% 45.9

After
FG%48.0

Before
3% 33.3

After
3% 44.3

Dirk Before
FG% 47.0

Dirk After
FG% 53.0

Dirk Before
3% 28.7

Dirk After
3% 58.1

Mavericks record vs. playoff teams post Kidd? 0-5!!!!!

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I love redundancy, especially when it repeats itself.

I love SpursDynasty

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Mavericks record vs. playoff teams post Kidd? 0-5!!!!!

That will change.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:10 AM
That will change.0-6?

Brutalis
03-15-2008, 12:10 AM
That will change.
Down is up.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
0-6?

Care to make a sig bet on it?

Holt's Cat
03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Wow, a 1-4 stretch against 5 playoff caliber teams and then wanting the playoffs to start today and thinking the Spurs are favored?

How can you 7-13 in your last 20 against .500 or better teams and say "bring it on"?

http://web2freedom.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/stern.jpg

Because this guy is in the Spurs' pocket.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
*checks schedule*

Do the Mavs ever play on the road again?

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:14 AM
*checks schedule*

Do the Mavs ever play on the road again?

We didn't have Josh Howard in those five games we lost, and we were missing Dirk in one of them. Both of them are back now.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:16 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...CpBR9lTM8dkCiLQ

Remaining schedule for the top 9 teams in the West

bobbyjoe
03-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Why are you so confident it will change?

The problems the Mavs have had winning with Kidd have been with their interior Defense. It's been porous. Why will that get better with an older PG who gets beat off the dribble more than Harris did and with Diop out of the picture and a weak defender like Dirk complementing Dampier? Strong front lines will really hurt Dallas in the playoffs.

Mavs have to get it done this year. Guys like Stack, Terry, and Kidd are really starting to show age. They've had a great run for many years, but no title. Can they close it off with a ring before the window of opportunity slams shut? This will likely be the last or maybe if they are lucky 2nd to last chance. They're in a similar boat as Phoenix.

I'll admit I havent watched the Mavs in their latest streak, but 0-5 against contenders post-Kidd has to scare you. Why do you see it changing? I am curious.

bobbyjoe
03-15-2008, 12:18 AM
http://web2freedom.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/stern.jpg

Because this guy is in the Spurs' pocket.

LMFAO!

Well, he was last yr. Gotta give you that. Nice sense of humor Holt's Cat.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:21 AM
We didn't have Josh Howard in those five games we lost, and we were missing Dirk in one of them. Both of them are back now.So against the centerless Lakers at home . . . okay, maybe. It's got to be a good bet, though. :hungry:

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-15-2008, 12:24 AM
No west team is capable of winning four series without having home court advantage

bdictjames
03-15-2008, 12:24 AM
We do have to make the playoffs first but I think..

This team needs all the time it can to get back on track. It doesn't matter what seeding they got they would still win IMO, if they are in top shape. The other 7 aren't so good and have weaknesses too.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Why are you so confident it will change?

Josh Howard is back.

The problems the Mavs have had winning with Kidd have been with their interior Defense.

Which games were you watching? The one where we gave up 116 to Utah on the road when it was our fourth game in five nights? Or when we held San Antonio to 97 and LA to 93 in regulation?

Why will that get better with an older PG who gets beat off the dribble more than Harris did

Hmm...Chris Paul torched us in Kidd's very first game, but he did the same to Devin with 33 and 11 back in December. Deron Williams went for 17 and 20 against us, but he hung 48 on Devin back in December. We made the Finals in a year when Kobe hung 62 on us with Devin Harris as our best perimeter defender. Kidd won't guard the quick guards late in games, Josh will. Antoine Wright has also shown he can play D. Devin Harris and Jason Terry cannot run a halfcourt offense or get their teammates easy looks late in games in the playoffs when it slows down and you have to have good ball movement in order to get good looks. Kidd brings that.

and with Diop out of the picture

Diop was already out of the picture for 38 minutes a game. Malik Allen has stepped up for us.

and a weak defender like Dirk complementing Dampier?

Dirk is not that weak. He's gotten better than ever at contesting shots at the rim. He will never be a great defender, but he's a good help defender and he can rebound. And Dampier is why we've been more successful than we ever were in the Nellie era. He's obscenely overpaid, but he is a defensive presence in the middle, and Kidd is turning him into an offensive threat.

Mavs have to get it done this year.

Or next year.

I'll admit I havent watched the Mavs in their latest streak, but 0-5 against contenders post-Kidd has to scare you.

There are no moral victories and close doesn't count. I see a team that was integrating a new PG, Josh Howard was beyond horrific, they played 4 games in 5 nights, and yet with all of that, they had 4th quarter leads on the road against the Jazz, Spurs and Lakers, and they didn't lose until their final possession against the latter two. They could just as easily have gone 3-0. Those games told me we can hang with the best teams in the West even when we're not at our best. I'm not saying we'll win the West, but we have a shot.

Why do you see it changing? I am curious.

Mainly because Josh Howard has returned to form, and if he had been his normal self, we would've won those games. And I don't put much stock in losing to Houston without Dirk and playing the Hornets close for 3 quarters in Kidd's very first game when he had one single practice with the team. I don't think we're the faves by any means, but no West team is without flaws, and we have a fighting chance that we didn't have before the trade.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:35 AM
One other note about Dirk: He'll never be on the All-Defensive team, but he's not that bad.

He'll dish out hard fouls and he's usually where he's supposed to be on defense. Of course he will have his hands full against Amare if the Mavs and Suns meet in the playoffs, but which power forward wouldn't?

Remember how many layups and dunks the Mavs gave up against the Rockets? I doubt they would have been pounded in the paint like that if Dirk weren't suspended.

Just check the stats. The Mavs allow 95 points per 48 minutes when Dirk is on the court. That's lower than every other Mav starter except Josh Howard (94.7).

I like how people say we don't play D, like we're Phoenix or something.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:36 AM
So against the centerless Lakers at home . . . okay, maybe. It's got to be a good bet, though. :hungry:

Loser has to put up a sig of the other's choosing for one week, to be agreed upon.

ludda
03-15-2008, 12:38 AM

I always thought the Kidd trade was good, I don't think the Mavs will get out of the West, but with the way the West has panned out, they would have been definite first round fodders with the old team (probably wouldn't even be in the playoff picture right now since Harris was out for so long with that injury and is now playing crappy for the Nets, but don't let that get in the way of others to continually overrate the flopper).

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I always thought the Kidd trade was good, I don't think the Mavs will get out of the West, but with the way the West has panned out, they would have been definite first round fodders with the old team (probably wouldn't even be in the playoff picture right now since Harris was out for so long with that injury and is now playing crappy for the Nets, but don't let that get in the way of others to continually overrate the flopper).

Exactly. We're a darkhorse team now. I can live with that.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Oh, come on. The Mavs are going to be 8-to-10-point favorites. You've got to risk something . . . other than the ridicule and abject humiliation you'll suffer if they lose.

Hmm. Okay, I'll take it.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Oh, come on. The Mavs are going to be 8-to-10-point favorites. You've got to risk something . . . other than the ridicule and abject humiliation you'll suffer if they lose.

Hmm. Okay, I'll take it.

What do you suggest? Like I can't post for a certain amount of time?

PhxDog
03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
I couldn't believe Dallas traded for Kidd. But then, I couldn't believe San Antonio tried to trade for him, either.

To me Kidd is a garbageman whose passing and (non-)scoring game will inevitably get shut down by quality teams in the playoffs. These NBA people must be seeing something I'm not...

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Nothing, I'll take the original sig for a week bet. The ridicule and abject humiliation will be a free bonus.

FWIW, I think the Kidd trade was better than the Shaq trade.

Findog
How about if the Mavs beat the Lakers, you put up a pro-Mavs or anti-Spurs sig for one week? And if the Mavs lose, then I don't post for one week, which will be painful, because the Mav forums suck.

Findog
N/M about not posting then.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Oh, no you have to post. Otherwise the ridicule and abject humilation doesn't carry the full effect.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Shit . . . wait.

I have to root for Kobe now?

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Oh, no you have to post. Otherwise the ridicule and abject humilation doesn't carry the full effect.

Even if Pau doesn't play, keep in mind that it's Jackzen vs Avery and Kobe vs Dirk.

Findog
03-15-2008, 12:46 AM
http://alltalksports.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/kb24.jpg

You're gonna get raped.

DazedAndConfused
03-15-2008, 01:31 AM
If you have to convince others that your team is going to be a threat in the playoffs then you're probably not a threat.

Findog
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
If you have to convince others that your team is going to be a threat in the playoffs then you're probably not a threat.

People are discounting Dallas more than anything because of how their last two playoff series ended. That's fair. But they are absolutely a "threat," if not a lock.

freemeat
03-15-2008, 01:40 AM
About the bet...if you're doing a sig-change, not only should you be posting, but you should HAVE to post (like a required # of postings)...

The ridicule and abject humiliation won't have the effect you're seeking without it being publicized, right?

DubMcDub
03-15-2008, 01:41 AM
In how many games?

Right.

13 games isn't enough? It's just some fluke that's going to suddenly come crashing down? At what point? 20? 25? Just let me know.

Findog
03-15-2008, 01:42 AM
About the bet...if you're doing a sig-change, not only should you be posting, but you should HAVE to post (like a required # of postings)...

The ridicule and abject humiliation won't have the effect you're seeking without it being publicized, right?

I'm on here everyday, I'll post enough. Just click on my profile to see my current sig, LakerMagic can attest that I honor sig bets and live up to the spirit of them as well.

Findog
03-15-2008, 01:43 AM
13 games isn't enough? It's just some fluke that's going to suddenly come crashing down? At what point? 20? 25? Just let me know.

The Mavs are a fluke team hitting some lucky shots. Everyone is tired of their bullshit. No surprises there.

DubMcDub
03-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Josh Howard is back.

Which games were you watching? The one where we gave up 116 to Utah on the road when it was our fourth game in five nights? Or when we held San Antonio to 97 and LA to 93 in regulation?

Hmm...Chris Paul torched us in Kidd's very first game, but he did the same to Devin with 33 and 11 back in December. Deron Williams went for 17 and 20 against us, but he hung 48 on Devin back in December. We made the Finals in a year when Kobe hung 62 on us with Devin Harris as our best perimeter defender. Kidd won't guard the quick guards late in games, Josh will. Antoine Wright has also shown he can play D. Devin Harris and Jason Terry cannot run a halfcourt offense or get their teammates easy looks late in games in the playoffs when it slows down and you have to have good ball movement in order to get good looks. Kidd brings that.

Diop was already out of the picture for 38 minutes a game. Malik Allen has stepped up for us.

Dirk is not that weak. He's gotten better than ever at contesting shots at the rim. He will never be a great defender, but he's a good help defender and he can rebound. And Dampier is why we've been more successful than we ever were in the Nellie era. He's obscenely overpaid, but he is a defensive presence in the middle, and Kidd is turning him into an offensive threat.

Or next year.

There are no moral victories and close doesn't count. I see a team that was integrating a new PG, Josh Howard was beyond horrific, they played 4 games in 5 nights, and yet with all of that, they had 4th quarter leads on the road against the Jazz, Spurs and Lakers, and they didn't lose until their final possession against the latter two. They could just as easily have gone 3-0. Those games told me we can hang with the best teams in the West even when we're not at our best. I'm not saying we'll win the West, but we have a shot.

Mainly because Josh Howard has returned to form, and if he had been his normal self, we would've won those games. And I don't put much stock in losing to Houston without Dirk and playing the Hornets close for 3 quarters in Kidd's very first game when he had one single practice with the team. I don't think we're the faves by any means, but no West team is without flaws, and we have a fighting chance that we didn't have before the trade.

Don't even bother man. Your facts have no place with the short-sighted, mega-biased Spurs fan. Let them continue to say to themselves, "The Kidd trade didn't make the Mavs better, it made them worse!" Maybe if they repeat it enough, it will come true.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 01:44 AM
56 games. Do it for 56 games and it can't be a fluke.

ShoogarBear
:lmao

Findog

The Mavs just finished curbstomping bad teams, and we get one more freebie before next Tuesday. After the Lakers, Celts and Spurs, we'll have a better feel for how good these guys are.

Findog
Don't even bother man. Your facts have no place with the short-sighted, mega-biased Spurs fan. Let them continue to say to themselves, "The Kidd trade didn't make the Mavs better, it made them worse!" Maybe if they repeat it enough, it will come true.

I like talking hoops. Not all Spurs fans have silver and black glasses, in fact the guy I was replying to wasn't a spurs fan.

DubMcDub
03-15-2008, 01:46 AM
I like talking hoops. Not all Spurs fans have silver and black glasses, in fact the guy I was replying to wasn't a spurs fan.

By no means do I generalize all of them. There are some great ones on here. Guys (and girls) who love the Spurs but don't let it infect everything they say.

Findog
03-15-2008, 01:47 AM
By no means do I generalize all of them. There are some great ones on here. Guys (and girls) who love the Spurs but don't let it infect everything they say.

If you want high comedy, go check out the Bowen threads. Bruce Christ has been crucified by the Jews.

http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/david-stern-after.jpg

DubMcDub
03-15-2008, 01:53 AM
If you want high comedy, go check out the Bowen threads. Bruce Christ has been crucified by the Jews.

Nothing better than an angry fanbase mired in a losing streak. Alas, it's not so funny when it's the Mavs. But it does give me a bit of perspective to see when other teams' fans (even fans of a 4 time champion) act the exact same way.

Findog
03-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Nothing better than an angry fanbase mired in a losing streak. Alas, it's not so funny when it's the Mavs. But it does give me a bit of perspective to see when other teams' fans (even fans of a 4 time champion) act the exact same way.

Yeah, dallasbasketball.com was on suicide watch after we lost to Houston.

freemeat
03-15-2008, 02:05 AM
LakerMagic can attest that I honor sig bets and live up to the spirit of them as well.

Then why do you de-select the "show your signature" option when you post?

Findog
03-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Then why do you de-select the "show your signature" option when you post?

I believe sigs are turned off right now, as they usually are whenever there's a Spurs game and traffic increases.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-15-2008, 02:07 AM
what'd you mav fans make of the spurs/pistons game?

Findog
03-15-2008, 02:08 AM

I was actually surprised the Spurs took them to the final minute, but I guess I shouldn't be. Wounded Tiger Theory almost in effect tonight. The Spurs will pull through and probably get a top four seed.

freemeat
03-15-2008, 02:11 AM
I believe sigs are turned off right now, as they usually are whenever there's a Spurs game and traffic increases.

Ah, my bad...keep on truckin'.

DubMcDub
03-15-2008, 02:23 AM

I was incredibly impressed by TP during that little run. I've seen him take over games against lesser teams (yes, that includes Cleveland in the Finals), but rarely do I see him dominate a really good team for a stretch like that, especially in the 4th. Very impressive.

I thought the Spurs would get waxed, and they hung in there, so I guess that's good. Still, I'm not sure if a moral victory is what the Spurs need. The Mavs needed a few (in the absence of real wins) because they had just made a big trade, but the Spurs really don't gain anything from a moral victory.

Oh, and Ginobili is GASSED. Jeez, I'm not sure I've ever seen him like that.