PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup Heiress Teresa Makes Modest Tsunami Contribution

Hook Dem
01-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Sunday, Jan. 9, 2005 5:48 p.m. EST

Ketchup Heiress Teresa Makes Modest Tsunami Contribution

Charities controlled by billionaire ketchup heiress Teresa Heinz have pledged a relatively modest $450,000 to tsunami relief in recent days, with Mrs. Heinz explaining she prefers to keep her charitable contributions local.

Heinz Endowments announced Saturday that it would contribute $400,000 to tsunami relief, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. And the Washington, D.C.-based Heinz Family Philanthropies will add another $50,000. The Heinz money will go to the Brother's Brother Foundation, a local international relief group.

In a prepared statement, Mrs. Heinz explained, "Obviously, our philanthropic focus is here in America and in Pittsburgh, but the astronomical proportions of this disaster demand that we act."

While generous, the Heinz contribution doesn't come close to actress Sandra Bullock, who donated $1 million to tsunami relief. Or race-car driver Michael Schumacher, who pledged $10 million during a telethon on German television last week.

U.S. corporations have, by and large, been extraordinarily generous in the wake of the South Asian disaster. Pfizer Inc., for instance, has pledged $10 million cash and $25 million in drugs to relief agencies.

General Motors pledged over $2 million in cash and agreed to match employee donations. The company will also provide vehicles to transport medical supplies and food to the stricken region.

Heinz Foods has two factories in Indonesia and one in Thailand - countries heavily affected by the tsunami disaster.

Mrs. Heinz's husband, former presidential candidate John Kerry, has not said whether he'll make a contribution to tsunami relief.

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Heinz Foods has two factories in Indonesia and one in Thailand - countries heavily affected by the tsunami disaster.

That's perfectly understandable that she wishes to keep her contributions local, Lord knows there are plenty who need it....but I'm surprised, given the huge impact her facilities in Indonesia & Thailand have on the economies that she wouldn't do more. Maybe there are other things going on there that aren't mentioned. Where those facilities destroyed, too?

In any case, any contribution at all is certainly commendable. I know I wish I could do more.

Spurminator
01-11-2005, 06:45 PM
I think the last thing we should be doing is knit-picking anyone's contributions. It's a private matter, whether you're the President, Donald Trump, or... you.

scott
01-11-2005, 06:52 PM

And since Teresa has very little vested interest in Heinz food, what purpose does this statement serve in the article, other than to drum up disgust.

1) I wouldn't call $450k "modest" (and I like how NewsMax tried to compare Teresa Heinz, a PERSON to Pfizer and GM who are Fortune 100 COMPANIES).

2) What Spurm said.

exstatic
01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
....but I'm surprised, given the huge impact her facilities in Indonesia & Thailand have on the economies that she wouldn't do more.

Teresa Heinz-Kerry does not own Heinz. Between her personal holdings and those of the Heinz endowments combined, it amounts to less than 4% of the outstanding shares. She gave the money for no other reason than she wanted to.

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 07:20 PM
That's cool....I wasn't entirely certain what the interest was, mostly curious I guess. The only thing I really heard about the facilities was that they were pretty important to those respective economies.

But good for her...like I said, any amount is certainly commendable....and I wish I could do more.

Sec24Row7
01-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Critisizing someone for being integral in donating "only" $450,000 is pretty stupid if you ask me, no matter who it is.

dcole50
01-12-2005, 11:33 AM
seriously