PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Pistons Finals Would Bring Something To The Table

duncan228
03-15-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=383189

Spurs-Pistons Finals would bring something to the table
Stan McNeal

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Any time the Celtics or Pistons play one of the West's bests between now and the end of the regular season, you can bet the game will be hyped as a "potential Finals matchup." Prepare to hear those three words a lot in the next two weeks.

The Celtics play a "potential Finals matchup" four times in the coming week: at Spurs, at Rockets, at Mavericks and -- don't count out these guys -- at Hornets. The Suns head East for back-to-back "potential Finals matchup" games on March 24 and 26. There'll be a "potential Finals matchup" on Sunday when the Hornets visit Detroit.

So many "potential Finals matchups," so much intrigue. Of all the Finals matchups the league would like to see, you can bet the "potential Finals matchup" played at the Palace on Friday night is nowhere near the top of its list: Spurs-Pistons. Oh no. Been there, done that.

When the Spurs outlasted the Pistons in a seven-game slugfest three years ago, TV ratings were not mentioned without the words "all-time low." The series did not exactly create crowds at water coolers, either. But there are reasons why a Spurs-Pistons matchup should not give David Stern a queasy stomach. Here are three, in fact, based on the Pistons' 84-80 victory Friday night.

Fundamentals. Basketball purists would love the bank shots, defense and teamwork. Highlight lovers would not enjoy the lack of highlights. These teams dunk about as often as the Heat win; there were none in Friday night's game.

Mr. Cool vs. Mr. Hothead. That would be Tim Duncan vs. Rasheed Wallace -- a clash of styles and personalities. Duncan won the matchup Friday (20 points, 10 rebounds to 10 and 8), but Rasheed's team won the game.

Close games. They might not be pretty (combined 40.0 percent shooting in the second half Friday night), but they'd be tight.

There you go. Convinced that Spurs-Pistons would make must-see TV? Didn't think so. I'm guessing David Stern isn't convinced, either.

urunobili
03-15-2008, 11:36 AM
thanks duncan228 gr8 find!

TampaDude
03-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Those of us who know good basketball know that the 2005 Finals was the best in a long time...here's to another Spurs-Pistons Finals in 2008! :toast

m33p0
03-15-2008, 08:02 PM
shove it up stern's behind.

Johnnysee
03-15-2008, 09:24 PM
It wont happen. This Spurs team isnt getting the breaks they did last year and you are seeing them in a rare situation in March....a serious crisis point. Dallas still has the edge over the Spurs. Will there ever be a game where the Spurs dont have to come from a 10 point deficit to beat them? I mean 1 fucking game? That team is in serious trouble. They are simply not good enough to win it all this season. Manu being gassed and not having HCA are nothing but pussy excuses. If you are healthy enough to play, you have no excuses for losing. If you are truly good enough to win it all, then you will get the job done. Nothing can surgarcoat that.

Ghost Writer
03-15-2008, 09:27 PM
This matchup would bring the same question as 2005 -- are these two teams really the best the NBA has to offer?

Johnnysee
03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Pistons arent getting any younger either as they arent too far away from breaking up that team. Sheed will be 34. Sheed is the glue to that team but he isnt getting any younger.

Props to the Pistons for 2004 and all but you have been nothing but one hit wonders since that series. They havent won a championship in nearly 4 years.

Lakers on the other hand arent going anywhere. This year worst case is going to be something we will build on and be fired up for next year. I dont expect a title this year from them but I expect them to resume that next season.

JamStone
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Pistons arent getting any younger either as they arent too far away from breaking up that team. Sheed will be 34. Sheed is the glue to that team but he isnt getting any younger.

Props to the Pistons for 2004 and all but you have been nothing but one hit wonders since that series. They havent won a championship in nearly 4 years.

Lakers on the other hand arent going anywhere. This year worst case is going to be something we will build on and be fired up for next year. I dont expect a title this year from them but I expect them to resume that next season.

The Pistons are getting younger actually.

Only 2 teams of the 30 in the league have won a championship in the past 4 years.

The Pistons have consistently gone deeper in the playoffs the last 4 years than any other team in the league.

The Lakers look good and have a bright future. But why talk when your team hasn't done shit yet?

Johnnysee
03-15-2008, 09:40 PM
The Pistons are getting younger actually.

Only 2 teams of the 30 in the league have won a championship in the past 4 years.

The Pistons have consistently gone deeper in the playoffs the last 4 years than any other team in the league.

The Lakers look good and have a bright future. But why talk when your team hasn't done shit yet?

Yeah but Sheed isnt getting any younger and its going to take years before Amir is ready (assuming he ever gets that good). By that time Billups will be around 34-35, Rip will be in his early 30's as well. Oh good for you going deeper in the playoffs than any other team the last 4 years.Only 1 title as a result so hence the one hit championship wonder comment.

My team is already back. They will make noise but fall this year. Next season they all will have it in them to bring it back to Los Angeles. It only took my team 3.5 years to go from average to damn good.

Johnnysee
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
But why talk when your team hasn't done shit yet?

Oh and another thing, since 2004 the Pistons have achieved as much as the Lakers have. Zero championship.

Division titles, best record etc doesnt mean shit if you dont win it all.

JamStone
03-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah but Sheed isnt getting any younger and its going to take years before Amir is ready (assuming he ever gets that good). By that time Billups will be around 34-35, Rip will be in his early 30's as well. Oh good for you going deeper in the playoffs than any other team the last 4 years.Only 1 title as a result so hence the one hit championship wonder comment.

My team is already back. They will make noise but fall this year. Next season they all will have it in them to bring it back to Los Angeles. It only took my team 3.5 years to go from average to damn good.

How are the Lakers back by your logic if nothing means shit unless you win it all?

Rip is the same age as Kobe.

Oh and another thing, since 2004 the Pistons have achieved as much as the Lakers have. Zero championship.

Division titles, best record etc doesnt mean shit if you dont win it all.

There have only been three championships since 2004. No team has done shit except the Spurs.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Lakers will be bounced out quick first round watch.

Heath Ledger
03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Come on guys it's an even #'d year the Spurs have no chance. And the Pistons probably wont get past the Celtics.