PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's FT Attempts

Harry Callahan
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I was wondering for awhile about this, so I thought I'd look it up (NBA.com).

For Duncan's career totals prior to the 2007-2008 regular season, he averaged 7.5 FT Attempts per game.

In the 2007-2008 season, the FT attempts per game are 5.9, the worst since his rookie season in the league (5.8 in 97-98). David Robinson was still an outstanding player back then and the leading scorer on that team - he took a lot of shots (and potential FT attempts) back in those days.

Tim is playing 34-35 minutes per game - similar to the last two or three years.
Shot attempts for his career are 16.3 versus 15.5 this year - only 5% off from historical averages.

A 21% decline in FTs per game this year from career averages is a huge dropoff. It's not like Tim has had a huge reduction in minutes or shots from recent prior years (especially the last 2-3).

Is there any wonder why Tim is getting frustrated on a regular basis when he is getting a lot of contact at the basket and not getting the same opportunities to go to the line.

I will mention (since I was curious about Ginobili and Parker as well) - MG's Ft attempts are at 6.2 per game this year versus a career 4.6 and Parker's FT attempts are at 4.8 this year versus a career 3.7. This is somewhat skewed for Manu because he is playing more minutes per game this year than he ever has at 31 minutes per game versus a career 28. Parker is at 34 per game this year versus a career 33.

The lack of FT attempts this year for Tim are a significant factor in the Spurs offensive woes at times this year. I know I have seen more times this year where the opponent will bump and grind on Tim enough to warrant a whistle, but they are allowed to knock the ball away or force TD to put up a forced shot. Not to mention the "and 1s" that should be called where shot goes in and the officials don't blow the whistle because the basket was made.

Spurs Dynasty 21
03-15-2008, 11:17 AM
he gets hacked every time, but the refs are screwing him for the Joey Crawford thing

duncan228
03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the homework.
It's a scary thing.

It's hard watching him get beat to shit every night without a whistle.
It's hard watching him get frustrated.
I do think he's adjusted to it lately, he's not whining as much.

I have no clue what he can do except play through it.

SequSpur
03-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Cuz Tim is soft.

dbreiden83080
03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
he gets hacked every time, but the refs are screwing him for the Joey Crawford thing

That would have happened in the playoffs last year. Refs do have some pride you know. Not everyone acts like a 4 year old and throws a fit just because one of their buddy's got punished and acts unprofessional. Crawford brought all of that on himself. I don't buy into conspiracy theories like that. His FT are not down so much that we need to be crying conspiracy.

ancestron
03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
The refs let teams get away with murder against the Spurs lately and its bullshit.
They only got six free throws for the whole game last night.

Obstructed_View
03-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Timmy gets the crap beat out of him without calls all regular season long. This isn't the first time. When he gets his second wind and gets into playoff form he'll start working on drawing fouls. If it doesn't get called the first time he'll go back again until it is. That's part of being Timmy.

TDMVPDPOY
03-15-2008, 12:08 PM
If his not hittin on a regular basis

maybe this could be the reason

http://i25.tinypic.com/9tjskp.jpg

ricketts
03-15-2008, 02:30 PM
ok, the NBA secretly wants the spurs to win another championship, soooooo, they are letting teams get away with Pushing duncan around in the hopes that they will get used to the non calls, and then in the Finals they are gonna go whistle happy on anyone that even breathes on TD, helping him to like, i dunno, 24 FTA per game. book it.