PDA

View Full Version : Official Season Predictions thread.

T Park
03-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Use this thread to predict MVP, Cy Young, divsion winners, all that stuff.

Heres my divison winners

RedSox
Tigers
Mariners

Wild Card Angels

Mets
Cubs
Dodgers
Brewers

Red Sox V Tigers ALCS

Mets V Dodgers NLCS

Red Sox Dodgers WS

Red Sox in 6.

remingtonbo2001
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Explain Seattle?

T Park
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
improved pitching.

Brutalis
03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I just don't see how this can be taken seriously anymore with all the crap the MLB has done.

leemajors
03-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I predict the stros pitching outside of Roy o will suck royal ass

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I predict the stros pitching outside of Roy o will suck royal ass

Any thoughts on the sun coming up tomorrow?

TheTruth
03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Reds win the series. Jay Bruce is ROY, Aaron Harang is Cy Young, Ken Griffey has the comeback season of all comeback seasons to win the MVP. Dusty will be the coach of the year.

Vinnie_Johnson
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
WS I have The Mets over Boston 1986 one more time. :elephant

Jimcs50
03-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Heres my divison winners

RedSox

Tigers

Angels

Wild Card :Yankees

Mets

Cubs

Rockies

Wild Card: Astros

Red Sox vs Yankees ALCS

Mets vs Rockies NLCS

Red Sox vs Mets WS

Red Sox in 6.

:elephant

Thunder Dan
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Yanks won't make the playoffs with that pitching staff.

Indians will beat the Tigers for the Central because Detroit just added bats, they didn't address the real problem of their team in 2007....the bullpen. And Dontrelle Willis sucked in the NL.. imagine what he will do in the AL....

The Angels won't make the playoffs

Red Sox
Indians
Seattle
WC: Tigers

NL
Who gives a crap

JamStone
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Perez and Betencourt both went Brad Lidge in the playoffs last year. Don't expect "career years" from them again. Jo-Bo = Todd Jones.

Thunder Dan
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Perez and Betencourt both went Brad Lidge in the playoffs last year. Don't expect "career years" from them again. Jo-Bo = Todd Jones.
yeah did you watch the playoffs on tv along with your baseball team?

and they both sucked in games 6 and 7 of the ALCS not the entire playoffs where in the ALDS they both had ERA under 2....get your facts straight.

I just look forward to seeing the Tigers bullpen give up homers to Casey Blake, Kelly Shoppach and Jhonny Peralta to blow games.

JamStone
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Sheffield, Magglio, Cabrera, Guillen...

Forget just homers, good luck to the Tribe bullpen trying to get even an out in the middle of the order.

Thunder Dan
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Sheffield, Magglio, Cabrera, Guillen...

Forget just homers, good luck to the Tribe bullpen trying to get even an out in the middle of the order.

lol yea it will be like last year, the Tigers will be up 3 going into the 7th and they will bring in Grilli to give up 2 runs, Zumaya to walk guys, and Seay to give up the bomb to some no name to lose the game...funny thing is that any true Tigers fan saw this about a dozen times last year (w/ the exception of Zumaya who only lost 2 games for the Tigers b/c he was hurt)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-18-2008, 09:30 PM
lol yea it will be like last year, the Tigers will be up 3 going into the 7th and they will bring in Grilli to give up 2 runs, Zumaya to walk guys, and Seay to give up the bomb to some no name to lose the game...funny thing is that any true Tigers fan saw this about a dozen times last year (w/ the exception of Zumaya who only lost 2 games for the Tigers b/c he was hurt)

I wouldn't be thumping your chest just yet.

Indians SP threw a lot of innings last year and it isn't like Carmona is a known commodity. As he goes, so goes the Tribe.

T Park
03-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Who did the Indians add bats wise to improve that lineup?

Its not exactly murder's row.

I stand by the Mariners pick, I think their pitching staff is solid, and their batting lineup will be just good enough to win the division. Anaheim's starting rotation is injured, Lackey is out till the middle of May.

slayermin
03-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Indians SP threw a lot of innings last year and it isn't like Carmona is a known commodity. As he goes, so goes the Tribe.

Is something wrong with Carmona? I thought he looked really good last season.

slayermin
03-19-2008, 03:05 AM

If Hafner bounces back, that makes them tougher.

Thunder Dan
03-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Its not exactly murder's row.

I stand by the Mariners pick, I think their pitching staff is solid, and their batting lineup will be just good enough to win the division. Anaheim's starting rotation is injured, Lackey is out till the middle of May.

common man if you think I'm gonna start thinking pessimistic thoughts about the Tribe in March there is no way... I'm banking on Hafner and Sizemore bouncing back at the plate and the pitching staff to keep them in games. I'm only banking on 5 JoeBo blown saves....it's March let me dream a little.

But I would still take the Indians' lineup over the Angels any day

T Park
03-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Over Guerrero, Napoli, Hunter, and those guys?

Hmmm.....

Melmart1
03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Boston
Detroit
Texas :drunk
WC: Cleveland

New York
Milwaukee
San Diego
WC: Los Angeles

I haven't though far enough ahead for the others.

monosylab1k
03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Red Sox
Tigers
Angels
WC - Rays (stupid pick, yes, but I just have a hunch about them)

Phillies
Cubs
Padres
WC - Mets

World Series - Tigers over Mets

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 11:00 AM
The Angels won't make the playoffs

Care to make a wager on this....I will bet you any amt you like.

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Red Sox
Indians
Seattle
WC: Tigers

I will also bet you any amt on this. Seattle is old, they were lucky last year to win as many games as they did, they will win 8 or 9 less games this year for sure.

Whisky Dog
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Do people seriously challenge complete strangers to monetary wagers over the internet?

Melmart1
03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I will also bet you any amt on this. Seattle is old, they were lucky last year to win as many games as they did, they will win 8 or 9 less games this year for sure.
I agree completely. Erik Bedard will not save them. Someone who plays every five days can't make up for the other deficiencies, there are far too many on this Seattle squad.

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Do people seriously challenge complete strangers to monetary wagers over the internet?

Hey numbnuts, we have many many wagers here in this forum. I have collected or paid on every one. This is called integrity and most Spurs fans have it.

Most of the time we wager a bottle of wine or a Starbucks card or a Best Buy card....something easy to send in the mail.

Thunder Dan would pay me, I have no doubt.

MajorMike
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I predict the Rangers will be pathetic again.

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I predict the Rangers will be pathetic again.

wrong again...they will win over 80 games....take that to the bank.

tlongII
03-20-2008, 12:51 PM

How the fuck is Seattle OLD? That's ridiculous. They will win the AL West this year no question.

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 01:45 PM
How the fuck is Seattle OLD? That's ridiculous. They will win the AL West this year no question.

wine???

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
tlong, their key players are old, and they are injury prone and will not make it through the season w/o missing games because of that.

They have zero chance of beat LA for the division and I think even Texas will finish ahead of them.....to be honest......sorry man.

tlongII
03-20-2008, 02:40 PM
tlong, their key players are old, and they are injury prone and will not make it through the season w/o missing games because of that.

They have zero chance of beat LA for the division and I think even Texas will finish ahead of them.....to be honest......sorry man.

Baloney!

Key pitchers:

Eric Bedard - 30 y/o
Felix Hernandez - 21 y/o
JJ Putz - 32 y/o

Key position players:

Ichiro - 34 y/o
Beltre - 28 y/o
Sexson - 33 y/o
Betancourt - 26 y/o
Lopez - 26 y/o
Ibanez - 35 y/o
Johjima - 31 y/o

That is a team in it's PRIME!

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Baloney!

Key pitchers:

Eric Bedard - 30 y/o
Felix Hernandez - 21 y/o
JJ Putz - 32 y/o

Key position players:

Ichiro - 34 y/o
Beltre - 28 y/o
Sexson - 33 y/o
Betancourt - 26 y/o
Lopez - 26 y/o
Ibanez - 35 y/o
Johjima - 31 y/o

That is a team in it's PRIME!

look at their missed games....and they will be missing more this year too.

As I said....I will bet wine that LA finishes ahead of Seattle, deal?

tlongII
03-20-2008, 04:22 PM
look at their missed games....and they will be missing more this year too.

As I said....I will bet wine that LA finishes ahead of Seattle, deal?

I will bet wine that Seattle finishes ahead of Texas, deal?

tlongII
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Are you chicken Jim?

Monosylab1k made the same bet with me.

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I will bet wine that Seattle finishes ahead of Texas, deal?

No, what idiot would ever bet on the Rangers?

The bet is who wins division...I predicted LA, you predicted Seattle, that is the bet....deal?

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Are you chicken Jim?

Monosylab1k made the same bet with me.

Monosylab1k picked the Angels....nice try though.

tlongII
03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Monosylab1k picked the Angels....nice try though.

I'll sig bet you that the Rangers finish the season with a better record than the Mariners.

You are also on record for saying the Rangers will have a better record than the M's. Put your wine where your mouth is!

Jimcs50
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
You are also on record for saying the Rangers will have a better record than the M's. Put your wine where your mouth is!

I usually do...do you take your wine in an enema?

:)

As I said, who would bet anything on the Texas Rangers? I will bet you that the M's finish no higher than 2nd and do not make postseason, deal?

Melmart1
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I had a sig bet on the Rangers last season and won. Just ask ATRAIN :)

MajorMike
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
wrong again...they will win over 80 games....take that to the bank.

No, what idiot would ever bet on the Rangers?

As I said, who would bet anything on the Texas Rangers?

So... take it to the bank or never bet on the Rangers... which is it??

K-State Spur
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
AL:
Red Sox
Tigers
Angels
BJays

NL:

Mets
Brewers
Dodgers
Phillies

T Park
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Yankees don't make the playoffs, interesting :)

I thought they wouldn't last year and the mfers pulled it out.

JMarkJohns
03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
National League
EAST - New York Mets: Phillies will make this interesting, and ulimately, the loser twixt NY and Philly will probably get the wildcard bid, but I think if Pedro returns to quality form, then they have just enough pitching to combat the Phillies offense than the other way around.
CENTRAL - Chicago Cubs: This is the only no-brainer pick in any division in baseball. I like the Brewers offense and their defense should be improved with Braun now in the outfield and Cameron manning center, but do they have enough pitching? I think Chicago does, and, while the defense is suspect, I think their strong in every other category enough to more than make up for it.
WEST - Arizona Diamondbacks: I think 92-95 wins takes this division. I think it will be near impossible to net 100 as even the bottom-feeder Giants have strong pitching to make any contest a challenge. Overall, if Randy can be a solid 3rd/4th option and pitch 150 innings, then I think they have the best pitching outside if San Diego. Their defense is solid all over, save for the right side with Jackson and Upton, but it's good enough. Los Angeles may win out, but I give the nod to Arizona right now.

- Wildcard -
1. Phillies or Mets
2. Dodgers or Diamondbacks
3. Brewers
4. Rockies
5. Padres

American League
EAST - Boston Red Sox: Need a healthy return from Schilling and a bounce-back year from Manny to repeat.
CENTRAL - Cleveland Indians: Have a very good pitching staff, offense and quality bullpen and defense.
WEST - Anaheim Angels: Will get a push from Seattle, but I think they have enough to win by 5+...

- Wild Card -
1. Detroit Tigers
2. Seattle Mariners
3. New York Yankees
4. Chicago White Sox
5. Tampa Bay Rays

misterx91578
03-22-2008, 02:20 AM
al east red sox
al central tribe
al west angels
wildcard tigers
al roy Evan Longoria
al cy Josh Beckett
al mvp Miguel Cabrera

nl east phillies
nl central Brewers
nl west dbacks
nl wildcard padres
nl roy Jay Bruce
nl cy Johan Santana
nl mvp Adrian Gonzalez just going with a hunch here

series dbacks over tribe

Brutalis
03-22-2008, 05:09 AM
My predictions..

Someone wins the world series. Another handful of players get busted on for HGH. MLB loses another 500k fans in the process. MLB loses even more respect than it already has for the 'worlds best players'.

Thunder Dan
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
ok. first off, I'm not betting that the Angels won't make the playoffs. I just don't think they will because they have no way to generate runs if Vlad goes down (which he has been recently), Torri Hunter is vastly overrated and had the luxury of hitting with Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer. Garrett Anderson is slowly reaching the age of death. They used to rely on their pitching to win games, but they have trouble scoring.

Now, before any baseball expert jumps and says "hey that is basically what the Indians are, how can you pick them".... I would say this: "the Indians have finished in the top 5 in runs scored 2 out of the last 4 years"... whereas the Angels have not shown the ability to score runs in recent years under Scioscia.

So I just don't think that the addition of Torri Hunter helps all the much if Vlad goes down....which has about a 65% chance of happening.

Secondly, anyone that picks the Rays to win anything is a complete moron. I want to leave it at that, but let me explain why. They play the Yankees and Red Sox for almost 1/4 of the season. That is 30 something games against just those 2 teams, now ad in the other good teams like the Tigers, Indians, Mariners, Blue Jays(who play them 18 times), and Angels. The Rays would have to basically hope to go .500 vs those teams (which isn't going to happen but just play with me here) and win 65% games against the rest of the teams they play just to win the division. Not gonna happen

K-State Spur
03-22-2008, 12:22 PM
The problem with Seattle is that Bedard could come in and be just as great as he was in Baltimore...and they could (should?) still finish about the same as last year.

Up until the last 6 weeks of the season, their run differential was about equal to the lowly Orioles. While some people like to believe that's just a sign of quality or toughness that they win close games, the fact of the matter is that those numbers tend to even out relatively quickly.

K-State Spur
03-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Secondly, anyone that picks the Rays to win anything is a complete moron. I want to leave it at that, but let me explain why. They play the Yankees and Red Sox for almost 1/4 of the season. That is 30 something games against just those 2 teams, now ad in the other good teams like the Tigers, Indians, Mariners, Blue Jays(who play them 18 times), and Angels. The Rays would have to basically hope to go .500 vs those teams (which isn't going to happen but just play with me here) and win 65% games against the rest of the teams they play just to win the division. Not gonna happen

I don't expect the Rays to start winning until next year, but it's not completely outlandish for someone to pick them ahead of the Yankees this year.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The Rays have tons of talent. They have some very good pitching. Their bullpen is a concern, and I agree that this year seems a bit early for them to seriously compete, but I do expect a third-place finish. I think they have the arms, the offense and the depth of talent to make a game. I think 80 wins is doable.

Thunder Dan
03-22-2008, 01:28 PM
The Rays won't even finish ahead of the Blue Jays, you can bank on it. The Devil Rays are the baseball version of the Seattle Sonics and Oakland Radiers

K-State Spur
03-22-2008, 04:27 PM
The Devil Rays are the baseball version of the Seattle Sonics

In that they are assembling tremendous young talent and trying to relocate to OKC?

Thunder Dan
03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
In that they are assembling tremendous young talent and trying to relocate to OKC?

yes

monosylab1k
03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Anybody who picked the Rockies before the start of last season were called idiots too.

JMarkJohns
03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Anybody who picked the Rockies before the start of last season were called idiots too.

Rockies, Diamondbacks, Indians... blah, blah, blah... all of them were, in some cases, distant choices for the Division/playoffs. Each made it to the LCS.

Youth can be funny. It can be inconsistant and yield to the pressure, or it can be care-free, playing with house money and take advantage of low expectations.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
or it can be care-free, playing with house money and take advantage of low expectations.

Sounds like the Cardinals this year.

T Park
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
BTW, I'd like to thank the Cleveland Indians for a player you will be hearing quite a bit about this year. Brian Barton.

K-State Spur
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
BTW, I'd like to thank the Cleveland Indians for a player you will be hearing quite a bit about this year. Brian Barton.

and for Jeremy Guthrie from O's fans.

Thunder Dan
03-23-2008, 10:07 PM

no that is not true. The Rockies don't play 30 something games against the Yanks and Sox...and they play in the National League so all you have to do is be half way decent and you can win your division

JMarkJohns
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
no that is not true. The Rockies don't play 30 something games against the Yanks and Sox...and they play in the National League so all you have to do is be half way decent and you can win your division

That's not entirely true. Maybe in the past, but the NL West was brutal last season and will be more so this year. You can't just go by record. Take 2001. The Mariners and Athletics were the top two recorded teams in baseball. Neither even made it to the World Series that year.

The Rockies play in a division that's damn hard from top to bottom. For them and the Diamondbacks to do what each team did defied any logic and expectations. Yankees could take a slight step back and the Rays, for as crappy as they were last season, went 8-10 vs. New York in 2007. No reason to think that with their talent they can't pull to an even 9-9 or play .500 vs. them. Boston may be an issue, but their rotation isn't quite what is was last season. At least not early on.

Last year's Rays went 13-23 vs. Boston and New York. I think 16-20 to 18-18 is doable.

T Park
03-23-2008, 11:21 PM
and for Jeremy Guthrie from O's fans.

Cardinals didn't acquire Guthrie....

monosylab1k
03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
The Rays always seem to play the Yankees tough the past couple years. They didn't always win, obviously, but they usually give the Yankees a fight.

Now with the dirty bullshit the Yanks pulled in Spring Training, I think the Rays have even more motivation to beat them.

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 04:06 PM
also, concerning the Rays... my friend's old roommate is a starting pitcher for them. We grew up close to eachother, and he lived for 2 years with one of my bst friends at the college we all went to. Twice last season while in Cleveland he called us up at around 2AM and offered to give us his per diem if we could get him some weed. He also asked to see if we would come pick him out so he could go out with us in our old college town. This was on a day he pitched earlier in the day. So that is why I don't take the Rays seriously, the starting pitchers are up at 2am trying to score weed from their college buddies. I root for him (you should be able to figure out who I am talking about) because I used to play against him in high school and got to know him pretty well, but the culture within the organization isn't exactly directed at winning.

FromWayDowntown
03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Kent State, I presume?

Thunder Dan
03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Kent State, I presume?

yeah I went to undergrad there, graduated in 2006

Budkin
03-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Mets win their first World Series since 1986. That is all. :smokin

Jimcs50
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Red Sox off to winning start!!!

Manny being Manny, knocks in 4 runs, including game winning double in 10th inning against Oakland.

I like them playing these 2 games in Japan, because they then go to Oakland to finish the series on March 31 and April 1st, so with 4 days off betw starts, they can have their top 2 pitchers pitch twice in same series.... :elephant

Whisky Dog
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Houston Street starts off the season on the right foot.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Dodgers will win it all

Thunder Dan
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Dodgers will win it all

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

bostonguy
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Sloppy win today but I will take it. I just want the Sox pitching to get healthy. Schilling is always out for a majority of the season so that's nothing new. Age isnt on his side though and Beckett is our ace. I am not worried at all about the offense. Manny and Big Papi are more than enough!

tlongII
03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
The A's should win game 2 with Harden on the mound. That guy is nasty.

Tippecanoe
03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Red Sox
Royals :D
Angles
Blue Jays (WC)

Mets
Cubs
DBacks
Dogers (WC)

Red Sox over Dodgers in WS

Tippecanoe
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
they can have their top 2 pitchers pitch twice in same series.... :elephant

too bad beckett got injuried :depressed

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Cleveland will have another meltdown like last year and every other year since 1948. We will let Sabathia walk like we do with all our high priced players. Damn I miss Joe Carter.

:cry :cry

Jimcs50
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
too bad beckett got injuried :depressed

At least it is something that times heals(back strain) He will miss 1st 2 starts but will be back by his 3rd start date...good time to miss, as they can try out their youngsters.

Thunder Dan
03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
if Jeff Kent hits 75 homers and drives in 200 runs by himself the Dodgers have a chance. Otherwise the Dodgers can only hope to score 1 or 2 runs a game. Not only that, any team in the NL that plays in the World Series will just get smoked by the AL team.

Purple & Gold
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
if Jeff Kent hits 75 homers and drives in 200 runs by himself the Dodgers have a chance. Otherwise the Dodgers can only hope to score 1 or 2 runs a game. Not only that, any team in the NL that plays in the World Series will just get smoked by the AL team.

:dramaquee :dramaquee

K-State Spur
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Cardinals didn't acquire Guthrie....

uh yeah, that's why i said "FROM O'S FANS." The Birds got him for free from Cleveland.

tlongII
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
The A's should win game 2 with Harden on the mound. That guy is nasty.

Harden shut down the Red Sox on 5 hits in game 2.

JMarkJohns
03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I got to see Harden pitch in a AAA game once. He was damned impressive. Shame he can't stay healthy.

K-State Spur
03-26-2008, 06:50 PM
didn't he have a perfect game at AAA?

JMarkJohns
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm unsure of that, and it certainly was not the game I saw, but he dominated in the one I saw. I think only giving up one run, while striking out close to a dozen.

SpursPreacher
03-27-2008, 02:26 AM
NL- mets,cubs,rockies,braves
al-red sox,tigers,mariners,indians

worlds series tigers over cubs

K-State Spur
03-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm unsure of that, and it certainly was not the game I saw, but he dominated in the one I saw. I think only giving up one run, while striking out close to a dozen.

i looked it up, it wasn't a perfect game, but 13 consecutive perfect innings at AA.

Jimcs50
06-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Current Standings:

WEST W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA STRK L10
LA Angels 39 25 .609 - 18-13 21-12 270 261 Lost 1 7-3
Oakland 34 29 .540 4.5 21-15 13-14 283 237 Won 1 5-5
Texas 32 33 .492 7.5 17-16 15-17 361 380 Won 1 5-5
Seattle 22 41 .349 16.5 14-19 8-22 253 317 Lost 2 3-7

:smokin