PDA

View Full Version : Hedo the Turk

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I am happy to report that my premonitions about Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu were way, way off.

The league office confirmed this week that Turkoglu is indeed more than eligible to win the NBA's Most Improved Player award.

I honestly wasn't sure because of what it says on the ballot. The MIP, according to the ballot's instructions, is meant to go to "an up-and-coming player" and is "not intended to be given to a player who has made a comeback.''

Those guidelines were actually brought to my attention a few years back when I wrote in this cyberspace that I planned to vote for then-Orlando forward Grant Hill as my MIP in 2005 because his consistently poor luck with health improved to the point that Hill had reclaimed his usual spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team. An official from another team touting a MIP contender of its own called me to point out that I was ignoring the official guidelines.

Yet it turns out that the league is not nearly as firm as I feared on the up-and-coming part. Turkoglu is almost 29 and in his eighth season, but an NBA official stressed that the guidelines aren't intended to exclude anyone aside from players making full-fledged comebacks from a lengthy absence.

So ...

You can still debate whether Hedo is the most improved player on his own team, given the progress made by Dwight Howard this season. But since Howard was already an All-Star -- which is bound to rule him out with some voters even though he's made that most challenging leap to the stratosphere of MVP candidate -- there's little question that Turkoglu's improvement has been more pronounced.

The versatile Turk, discarded by Sacramento after just three seasons, has generally given Orlando more than $113 Million Man Rashard Lewis. He's transformed himself into one of the league's better fourth-quarter performers, having scored 10-plus points in the final period 14 times. Overall, Turkoglu has raised his nightly offensive output more than nine points from a career average of 10.5 points per game to 19.6 points, helping him earn back-to-back Eastern Conference Player of the Week honors on Jan. 27 and Feb. 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080315-16

If only he'd played like that for us we'd be chasing a 6th ring right now, and the repeat would've been taken care of.

Bloody Hedo. :pctoss

Obstructed_View
03-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Wake me when Hedo shows up for the playoffs. It's the big games where he crumbles. He's exactly what Whottt accuses Finley of being.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-15-2008, 10:16 PM
True, it was the playoffs when he crumbled for us, but two years earlier he was clutch in the playoffs for Sacto which was one of the reasons we chased him.

I have a feeling he might find it in the playoffs this year. This is a different Hedo from what anyone has seen before.

T Park
03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah its a shame he performed so badly against the Lakers.

Had he just shown up somewhat, the Spurs win a ring maybe and he sticks around and is huge part of a dynasty.

Oh well.

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Hedo's actually great improved his all around game this season. It's not just the clutch scoring, but his rebounding and assists. I believe he's even had a triple double this season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, Hedo had 2 trip dubs this season:

13/12/13 on Feb 4 vs Dallas
23/10/13 on Mar 10 vs Atlanta

angel_luv
03-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I <3 Hedo- always have, always will.

I am so happy about the success he's having with the Magic and I hope he wins the
Most Improved Player award.

Go Hedo Go! :)

WalterBenitez
03-16-2008, 07:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080315-16

If only he'd played like that for us we'd be chasing a 6th ring right now, and the repeat would've been taken care of.

Bloody Hedo. :pctoss

If we only could developed him as ORL did :rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
03-16-2008, 07:50 AM
the funny thing is we gave this clown a contract, while we let stephen jax to bolt....

alamo50
03-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Who cares what he did a couple of years ago.
He is having an All-Star season right now.
It's called progression.

Bruno
03-16-2008, 08:32 AM
"what if" threads suck.

ChuckD
03-16-2008, 10:31 AM
If we only could developed him as ORL did :rolleyes
Um, Pop put Manu on the bench to develop his worthless ass. What, does Pop have to hold his fucking hand during the timeouts?

ChuckD
03-16-2008, 10:32 AM
the funny thing is we gave this clown a contract, while we let stephen jax to bolt....
Spurs never gave him a contract. He was still on his rookie deal when we acquired him in that 3 way deal in 2003. After his huge playoff fade, the Spurs naturally declined to match Orlando's ridiculous offer.

Hedo's always had the talent. It's balls he lacks. He's the anti-Jack.

whottt
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Hedo's not like I accuse Finley of being...he's worse.

And he was good in the regular season in the clutch that year as well. He didn't suck until he faced the Lakers, and then he definitely choked.

As for how good he is...say what you want about the dude's recent play, but he went from the defending champions, to the team with the worst record in the NBA, and he did it of his own free will. He didn't want any part of the playoffs or the pressure that comes with them.

We replaced him and we won a title...becuase his replacement didn't choke open threes like he did....in fact other teams wouldn't even leave his replacement open from three.

DarrinS
03-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Wake me when Hedo shows up for the playoffs. It's the big games where he crumbles. He's exactly what Whottt accuses Finley of being.

truth

Hedo is a poor man's Peja

ChumpDumper
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
The Spurs couldn't keep both Hedo and Manu that summer when both were free agents.

T Park
03-16-2008, 01:22 PM
DIdn't they have to renounce Hedo to have room to sign Manu to that contract? I also think they wanted to keep Hedo but Hedo had to wait a certain amount of time after being renounced before he could get resigned, am I correct in that too?

ChuckD
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
DIdn't they have to renounce Hedo to have room to sign Manu to that contract? I also think they wanted to keep Hedo but Hedo had to wait a certain amount of time after being renounced before he could get resigned, am I correct in that too?
If they renounce, they can only sign him to a minimum or exception deal. The Bird rights are gone. It wasn't a time issue. He wanted the money.

Hedo has exactly what he wants: money, and lots of shots in a (as of now) low pressure environment. Call it the Beno syndrome, or maybe the Hedo syndrome, since he was first. They both have a lot of talent, but don't have the mental makeup to be even a supporting piece on a championship team.

ChumpDumper
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
DIdn't they have to renounce Hedo to have room to sign Manu to that contract?This is true.
I also think they wanted to keep Hedo but Hedo had to wait a certain amount of time after being renounced before he could get resigned, am I correct in that too?Hedo was a free agent, so they didn't actually waive him. In a perfect world, the would have signed Hedo to a manageable deal first and had enough room to come close to other teams' offers to Manu. Given all the uncertainties of the offseason, that's an extremely unlikely scenario. The only way I could see something that working out is if both Hedo and Manu had the same agent who, along with his clients, was willing to work such a deal.

ChumpDumper
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
If they renounce, they can only sign him to a minimum or exception deal.Or cap space.

WalterBenitez
03-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Um, Pop put Manu on the bench to develop his worthless ass. What, does Pop have to hold his fucking hand during the timeouts?

Pop could start Manu and let Hedo come from the bench until his balls were on fire.

T Park
03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Pop did that and Hedo was horrible.

He played alot better as a starter.

ChuckD
03-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Pop did that and Hedo was horrible.

He played alot better as a starter.
Until the playoffs.