PDA

View Full Version : My Game Thoughts (since I went to the game...)

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm not Timvp, but since I live here in Philly and went to the game, I thought I'd share my random thoughts and experiences.

1) First off, that was a depressing loss. Yes, the Sixers have been playing great lately, but this game was one the Spurs should have won. Surprisingly, the Wachovia Center was not very loud, although it's starting to fill up with fans again now that the Sixers are in the playoffs and are becoming good. :tu

2) My biggest shock of the game (aside from the Spurs losing); I saw the Spurs fighting on the sidelines...with eachother. During one timeout, I believe in the 3rd quarter, after an easy basket by Igodala, Bowen and Ginobili seemed to get into a it a little bit on the sidelines. Ginobili was clearly frustrated and it appeared to be a miscommunication by the two on who covered the switch, but still. I didn't like seeing that.

3) Pop had a bewildered look on his face it seemed. Like he had no idea what other tricks he can possibly pull out of his hat to get this team on the right track.

4) Parker is fast. I mean, he's even faster when you see him live. He had a great game. Though I'm surprised he got so owned by Andre Miller on the defensive end. When Miller was with the Nuggets, Parker usually did well defending him. Miller's been playing very, very well lately though and is a big reason why the Sixers are winning again.

5) For those who say the Spurs aren't trying, I mean seeing the game live you can tell they were trying. They were talking to eachother during timeouts, during FT's, etc. but they did look a little frazzled out there at times. There spacing is very bad for some reason.

6) Finley, Damon, Oberto, Bonner, Vaughn suck. Even if they manage to begin hitting a few shots the next few games, I really don't put trust in any of them to not revert back to their shooting slump at any point in the playoffs. The difference in the bench was extremely noticeable especially against the Sixers young bunch. Guys like Carney and Williams made the Spurs bench look extremely slow and unatheletic, which they are I know.

7) Screw this "veteran basketball IQ" business. Spurs are having a very, very hard time in the 4th quarter of close games this season and the trend continued against a young, inexperienced Sixers team tonight. Spurs inability to get a stop when it matters most and hit a shot when it matters most is starting to become worrisome. They aren't executing their offense or defense. They normally close out quarters well and tighten up as the game progresses. However, in recent games, the opposite seems to be happening.

8) Duncan sucked tonight. Two games ago, KG absolutely OWNED the Sixers at the Wachovia Center and the Celtics easily won the game. There's no way that Duncan should have been playing that softly against Sammy Dee.

9) Ginobili looked gased, but he also looked pissed. He looked like he wanted to will this team to a win, but didn't have the energy to do it. His loud-ass, crazy dunk even brought cheers to the other fans there.

10) That was an ugly game to watch, even as a Spurs fan. Spurs offense is just ugly, and their defense seems to be all over the place lately. Not only that, but they don't even look like they're having fun out there. No one was standing up cheering them on, etc. They're looking like a team just going through the motions at times.

Anyways, bad loss for the Spurs, this was not a good "moral" loss in any way. Sixers are good, but Spurs should have beat them. Both teams were on a back to back. Sixers youth and athletism was in full display tonight and exposed the Spurs old bench.

:depressed Hopefully next season when they come to town, it'll be a better game and a better outcome.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
You are only thinking the thoughts you are supposed to think, no surprises here...

duncan228
03-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the wrap up.
It's geat to get hands on insight.
Sorry it was so ugly, it was bad on TV, it must have sucked there.

greens
03-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the review. Sorry you had to watch the loss so up close.

Yeah, it does look like the Spurs are not really having fun anymore...that's expected since they are loosing games at the moment...and are all basically tired due to the horrible schedule...

So Bruce/Manu bickered a bit?

I know that Manu looked really upset at one point during the game, I think he threw his towel down or something like that...Is that when the Bruce/Manu thing happened?

duncan228
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
You are only thinking the thoughts you are supposed to think, no surprises here...

This is getting old fast.
You've got it in every thread tonight.
Give it a rest.

batboy
03-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Yepp, Parker is a blur IRL.

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the review. Sorry you had to watch the loss so up close.

Yeah, it does look like the Spurs are not really having fun anymore...that's expected since they are loosing games at the moment...and are all basically tired due to the horrible schedule...

So Bruce/Manu bickered a bit?

I know that Manu looked really upset at one point during the game, I think he threw his towel down or something like that...Is that when the Bruce/Manu thing happened?

No it was when Igodala got the switch an open jumpshot and Ginobili fouled him for an And 1. As Iggy was shooting the FT's, Bowen and Ginboli were having a very heated discussion on the sidelines. Both looked pissed.

Bright spot is, Spurs have a ton of room for improvement. If they could just get some production...any production from their bench a lot of these losses would turn into W's. I'm just worried the Big 3 are going to get too tired by the time the playoffs roll around carrying the Spurs offense for so long.

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 09:51 PM
On another note, I do think something needs to happen to get the Spurs back on track and ready for the playoffs. Last season, when Pop called the meeting and said no one was going to be traded and the SPurs were going to roll with what they had really seemed to have some affect.

Spurs look like they're falling apart and don't have the chemistry they normally do. I don't know if I recall Duncan or Ginobili or any of the players ever calling a team meeting or something, but maybe they should try it.

Oh, and I wish the Spurs would run more pick and roll with Ginobili/Parker and Thomas when he's out there. KT has a great mid-range jumpshot which is usually money. It's being underutizlied right now within the Spurs offense I think.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I only saw the game in spurts. Duncan looked awful, and every shot I saw from him was soft.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the recap :tu

Sorry the Spurs couldn't treat you to a win, but can't get them all I suppose.

I can't imagine seeing Parker's speed live, but I'm sure it's a different dynamic watching the guys play. It sucks that both he and Manu didn't get enough help to win.

(Duncan was kinda neutralized.)

Hopefully the Spurs turn their frustration energy into good energy, don't want the team morale to go down at the wrong time.

If only Ginobili could take a break for the Boston game, he'll come back wreaking havoc with his legs back I'm sure for the easier schedule, since he was obviously pissed with that dunk. It was already LOUD on the computer, and you're right he got some "ooh's and ahhs'" from the home crowd.

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Yea, that dunk stunned even all the Sixers fans out there. Actually, I was surprised, we have a lot of Spurs fans here in Philly. And even though a lot of people gave me grief for wearing my Spurs t-shirt and hat, it was pretty good natured.

Still, Sixers fans and the arena were not as loud and into the game as I had wished. My voice is scratchy from the screaming and cheering I did though :)

racydaystragiceyes
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Is there anyone who can post a vid of manu's dunk? I'm jonesing to see it, and no, i don't know if i spelled that right.

1Parker1
03-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I only saw the game in spurts. Duncan looked awful, and every shot I saw from him was soft.

It was. Weird thing was, he looked pissed and serious about winning the game. Usually when he's that way, you'd think he's aggresive and taking the ball to the hole. But he let Sammy Dee block his shot twice in the 4th when the Spurs were trying to make a comeback and he missed a pretty easy layup.

Times like that, I really hate 4-Down. Everyone in the arena could tell that was the Spurs game plan in the 4th to get back in the game. It's so predictable and easy to defend, especially when no one outside the Big 3 can hit a shot.

tmtcsc
03-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I would just like to see the guys get back to having fun. They need to get a solid win under their belts to prove to themselves that they still know how to do this. A win on Monday would be a great start.

alamo50
03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
7) Screw this "veteran basketball IQ" business. Spurs are having a very, very hard time in the 4th quarter of close games this season and the trend continued against a young, inexperienced Sixers team tonight. Spurs inability to get a stop when it matters most and hit a shot when it matters most is starting to become worrisome. They aren't executing their offense or defense. They normally close out quarters well and tighten up as the game progresses. However, in recent games, the opposite seems to be happening.

I didn't see the game, but when Pop says we played good, than I throw your analysis out of the window. Sucks to attend a game when your team loses though. Did we win last year?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Great thoughts, thanks 1Parker1. :tu :)

It's just a pity that they confirm exactly what I've been seeing and thinking. :(

5) For those who say the Spurs aren't trying, I mean seeing the game live you can tell they were trying. They were talking to eachother during timeouts, during FT's, etc. but they did look a little frazzled out there at times. There spacing is very bad for some reason.

And the Spurs deliver a big "fuck you" to the idiot fans who say they are not trying hard enough.

WalterBenitez
03-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks man for sharing this, I am glad TP is doing well, mostly of the opponents are now finding our holes, I am really worieed about chemistry and understanding issues.

The III
03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Great insight. I will be at the game this Thursday when they come to Chicago.

twincam
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, I'm not Timvp, but since I live here in Philly and went to the game, I thought I'd share my random thoughts and experiences.

1) First off, that was a depressing loss. Yes, the Sixers have been playing great lately, but this game was one the Spurs should have won. Surprisingly, the Wachovia Center was not very loud, although it's starting to fill up with fans again now that the Sixers are in the playoffs and are becoming good. :tu

2) My biggest shock of the game (aside from the Spurs losing); I saw the Spurs fighting on the sidelines...with eachother. During one timeout, I believe in the 3rd quarter, after an easy basket by Igodala, Bowen and Ginobili seemed to get into a it a little bit on the sidelines. Ginobili was clearly frustrated and it appeared to be a miscommunication by the two on who covered the switch, but still. I didn't like seeing that.

3) Pop had a bewildered look on his face it seemed. Like he had no idea what other tricks he can possibly pull out of his hat to get this team on the right track.

4) Parker is fast. I mean, he's even faster when you see him live. He had a great game. Though I'm surprised he got so owned by Andre Miller on the defensive end. When Miller was with the Nuggets, Parker usually did well defending him. Miller's been playing very, very well lately though and is a big reason why the Sixers are winning again.

6) Finley, Damon, Oberto, Bonner, Vaughn suck. Even if they manage to begin hitting a few shots the next few games, I really don't put trust in any of them to not revert back to their shooting slump at any point in the playoffs. The difference in the bench was extremely noticeable especially against the Sixers young bunch. Guys like Carney and Williams made the Spurs bench look extremely slow and unatheletic, which they are I know.

8) Duncan sucked tonight. Two games ago, KG absolutely OWNED the Sixers at the Wachovia Center and the Celtics easily won the game. There's no way that Duncan should have been playing that softly against Sammy Dee.

9) Ginobili looked gased, but he also looked pissed. He looked like he wanted to will this team to a win, but didn't have the energy to do it. His loud-ass, crazy dunk even brought cheers to the other fans there.

10) That was an ugly game to watch, even as a Spurs fan. Spurs offense is just ugly, and their defense seems to be all over the place lately. Not only that, but they don't even look like they're having fun out there. No one was standing up cheering them on, etc. They're looking like a team just going through the motions at times.

Anyways, bad loss for the Spurs, this was not a good "moral" loss in any way. Sixers are good, but Spurs should have beat them. Both teams were on a back to back. Sixers youth and athletism was in full display tonight and exposed the Spurs old bench.

:depressed Hopefully next season when they come to town, it'll be a better game and a better outcome.

I approve of this message.

It's only one game....lots of people throw in the towel right away when they are in a slump. But when they start winning again, the ones who quit on them will be the same ones who will jump the "bandwagon" once again and start the "Spurs are unstoppable" threads. I see this shit day in and day out. Those are the wannabe Spurs fans.

enough said.

clambake
03-16-2008, 10:20 AM
why do you guys get so impatient?

will they turn this around?

duh, THEY ALWAYS DO! thats what sickens me as a mav fan. THEY ALWAYS DO!

T Park
03-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Just curious 1parker1

11th game in 19 days.

You think Duncan isn't tired? You don't think alot of em are tired?

I don't understand why people think these guys are robots.

DarrinS
03-16-2008, 10:28 AM

I don't think this can be stressed enough. The Spurs have never won an NBA championship when our bench sucked.

examples:
Jaren Jackson
Steve Kerr
Brent Barry
Robert Horry

SpurYank
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
I predicted this Sixer victory in another thread, and vowed I wouldn't read the wailing, crying, bitching. It was probably a little of everything everyone identifies as the problem with the Spurs. One thing I do know, they are still the champions until the fat lady yodels. She's not even on the stage.

I have faith in my team, in Pop, Tim, Manu, all of them. When we are mathematically eliminated, I'll then say "We'll come back next year. It's our M.O.

The Spurs aren't playing that bad. It's the opposition that is rising to the occasion. No way this Sixer team is better than both Detroit and S.A. Yet they won both games.

Stuff happens.

InK
03-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Go back the zoo where u belong.

bdictjames
03-16-2008, 01:34 PM
The only good thing I picked up from that is they were motivated to win. Good enough for me.