PDA

View Full Version : Another thing irritating me lately

DarrinS
03-16-2008, 11:25 AM
How many times in the last several games have we seen the Spurs make a pretty good defensive stand, forcing the other team to make a difficult shot as the shot clock expires, only to see the other team get the rebound and a new shot clock? There was a series in the Detroit game where the Pistons had 4 or 5 offensive rebounds. :bang

That's got to be a little demoralizing -- at least it is to me as a fan.

:wakeup

duncan228
03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
The boards have been a big problem.
It's been beaten to death in the game blogs, it's frustrating all of us.

xtremesteven33
03-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Kurt Thomas?

DarrinS
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Kurt Thomas?

I know everyone's in love with his mid-range shot, but I'd rather the guy just take care of the boards.

remingtonbo2001
03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I know everyone's in love with his mid-range shot, but I'd rather the guy just take care of the boards.

That's why we brought him here.

If we wanted a midrange jumpshot, we could've saved ourselves the trouble and just kept Elson.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Whoops, I addressed this in your "Spurs biggest problem" thread; I didn't realize you were going to start a new thread for each thought.

GrandeDavid
03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I was irritated during that Detroit game cuz of all the offensive rebounds the Pistons got.

timvp
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
What's weird is that the Spurs were the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA by far before they acquired Kurt Thomas. In fact, the Spurs might have been the best defensive rebounding team in NBA history (they were easily the best defensive rebounding team in the last 20 years that I searched through). The Spurs traded for Kurt Thomas, who was putting up better rebounding numbers with Seattle than Tim Duncan or David Robinson ever did in their prime, and now suddenly the Spurs can't rebound.

:dizzy

Obstructed_View
03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Since they can't seem to grab a rebound even with KT on the bench, it wouldn't hurt to give a little effort.

Do the Spurs have roster space to call up Mahinmi and just send him after rebounds for a couple of games? They could certainly use the influx of energy, since Pop basically refuses to play the only hustle guy left on the bench.

Spurminator
03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
It seems like most of the rebounds we're missing are the long ones. Our bigs get pushed under the basket and the rebound flies over their heads to the man they're posting up.

Obstructed_View
03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
It seems like most of the rebounds we're missing are the long ones. Our bigs get pushed under the basket and the rebound flies over their heads to the man they're posting up.
It's a matter of blocking out. The fundamental basics of basketball haven't changed. If it were a single game or even two I might agree with you, but it's really not a matter of bad bounces that the Spurs just suddenly can't grab an offensive board over this length of time. Once they start actually fighting for rebounds, it'll be amazing how quickly those second opportunities dry up, and the team will probably improve as a result. Effort does that.

Obstructed_View
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Do the Spurs have roster space to call up Mahinmi and just send him after rebounds for a couple of games? They could certainly use the influx of energy, since Pop basically refuses to play the only hustle guy left on the bench.
Is this a good idea, or just a sign of desperation on my part?

timvp
03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Is this a good idea, or just a sign of desperation on my part?Desperation since rebounding is actually a weakness of Mahinmi's game right now.

BIG z
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
The thing that irritates me the most are those screen plays for Bowen, its a wasted possesion, arent the corner three enough...

Obstructed_View
03-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Desperation since rebounding is actually a weakness of Mahinmi's game right now.
He'd fit right in with the Spurs, then.