PDA

View Full Version : Final 4 prediction thread

BUMP
03-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Kansas, UNC, UCLA, and Texas in the final four

Kansas and Texas will meet again for the National championship and again i think KU will pull it out and cut the nets down

word
03-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Still thinkin'....Texas has a shot at getting to the dance but Memphis looms pretty huge. They're a sweet 16 team easily I think but that Nevada loss still sticks in my brain a couple of years ago. USC last year. I think their ride stops there. If not, then against ucla or duke. I see Memphis playing on April 5. Gut tells me we're gonna have an NC - Memphis game. KU has to ge through GT and NC. Not ...gonna....be ...easy. UCLA probably goes, over Duke but get's taken out by Memphis on Saturday but that is a very close call. Bottom line, I don't think KU or Texas either one go to the championship. Hope I'm wrong. As always I fill out two brackets. My 'want to win' bracket and my 'think WILL win' bracket. Texas and KU will be in the first one.

johngateswhiteley
03-17-2008, 12:26 AM
SC, Texas A&M, Tennessee, & Memphis...lol. not sure yet, i usually wait till the last minute to fill out my bracket. but i do think SC will make it to the sweet 16 and A&M the 2nd round...uchla is tough.

redraiderinfiji
03-17-2008, 03:54 AM
John I know A&m is good.......but US FREAKING C?????? C'mon!

I am getting married this sat! gimme your email and my mom will send you some pics of the wedding!

I got unc for the championship!

JamStone
03-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Louisville
Kansas
Texas
UConn

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I haven't made a bracket yet, but this is my initial take on it.

Its hard to bet against UCLA and Memphis right now; they both have completely seasoned teams sprinkled with super freshmen. UCLA has been to the Final Four the past 2 years and has an even better team this year. Memphis has been to the Elite Eight the past 2 years and they have an even better team this year.

I don't believe In Self. He has never been to the Final Four with the great teams he has had and I don't see it happening this year, either.

Other than one year, Roy Williams is the Mack Brown of basketball (just like Mack, Roy got off the mat one year and suddenly he's the best thing since sliced bread). UNC has not defended well all year, won't have ACC refs giving the big white guy the benifit of the doubt, and looked vulnerable against Va Tek and Clemson, both. They don't win it all; possibly Final Four.

I like G'town lots. They have great guardplay and very good bigs. When it gets down to the NCAA, bigs win. The conf loss woke them up, plus Pitt sees them all year so they know how to play them better.

For one of the same reasons (loss gives them time to reflect) I like Duke. I mean, I hate Duke, but I think they are gonna do some damage.

Geez, I just looked at the bracket and don't see anyone in UNC's region that will stop them from going to the Final Four. Tenn is all guards (some great ones, tho) but no big play. L'ville could be a spoiler, but Wazzu, ND and uo?? I could easily see ND as the 5/12 upset and uo go home very early as well. These seedings are awful - uo a 6 and Indy an 8?? Boy, UNC got gift wrapped a trip to the EE at the least.

Memphis, UT, Stanford; that's some nice teams. UT Stanford game could be very good. Stanford has those big brothers that could give UT some problems. I still see Memphis beating both those teams to make it to FF.

I like G'town all the way in the KU region.

I see a Duke/ULCA showdown in the EE in Phx with UCLA having the edge.

So there you have it:
1 UNC vs 2 G'town
1 Memphis vs 1 UCLA

G'town vs UCLA

G'town wins it all

Thunder Dan
03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Kent State
UNC
UCLA
Stanford

JamStone
03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
It's hard to bet against UCLA because they seem to win even when they don't deserve to. But, there's a flip side to that. They are barely beating teams they should definitely beat and winning by "miracles" or "flukes." I'm not saying there's no chance UCLA makes the Final Four. But, I think there's only so much luck one team can get in close games.

Warlord23
03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
UNC
Memphis
KU
Duke

KU over Memphis for the title

RonMexico
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
UNC
Memphis
KU
Duke

KU over Memphis for the title

Placing too much trust in Bill Self and Brandon Rush.

Herschel Walker
03-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Memphis is a great team but they play a weak ass conference schedule and that will kill them once they hit the sweet 16 or elite 8. Texas plays basically home games after the second round and that will help them get to the final 4.

UNC has basically home games until the final 4. They will be there as well.

I'll think about the other two and post later

Warlord23
03-17-2008, 11:27 AM

I just think its their time now. They have a good mix of inside/outside game and solid depth. Rush is just one of their several weapons - they have 7 guys who have scored 20+ in at least one game.

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
UNC

Kansas

Pittsburgh

Xavier

:smokin

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM

I think Kansas has the best chance to win it all. If I had to choose one team to win to save my life, it would have to be them.

How about you guys? What team would you pick to win it, if your life depended upon it?

Thunder Dan
03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
don't all come wanting a seat on the Kent State bandwagon in 2 weeks.

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
don't all come wanting a seat on the Kent State bandwagon in 2 weeks.

:lol

The only thing Kent St will ever be known for, is in the song Ohio.

degenerate_gambler
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I think Kansas has the best chance to win it all. If I had to choose one team to win to save my life, it would have to be them.

How about you guys? What team would you pick to win it, if your life depended upon it?

houston rockets

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
houston rockets

I agree, if they allowed Houston to play in the NCAA tourney, I think they would beat Kansas in OT in the Finals.

Thunder Dan
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM

The only thing Kent St will ever be known for, is in the song Ohio.

common we made it to the Elite 8 a couple years ago

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Elite 8, that is what my ex wives call themselves.

:)

alamo50
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Xavier

:smokin

Interesting......

I am realy into the NCAA since 3 years now (thanks to Spurstalk Fantasy Dynasty League) and I am predicting:

Kansas beats North Carolina
UCLA beats Texas

Kansas beats UCLA.

MajorMike
03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
See, here's the deal. Whereas I might be willing to stake it all on KU, I am not willing to stake it all on Self. He can't coach (or hasn't shown yet) when it counts. Many people give him great credit for getting Tulsa to the Eilite Eight, but that was a really good TU team and they should have gone farther. They beat a 2 seed Cincy that was without injured Kenyon Martin (who was the only thing going for them). They played Miami in Austin with a huge TU crowd and almost blew a 17 point lead to an average team. He completely lost control of his team against the 8 seed UNC and yet they still had a chance to win with 20 seconds left.

In 2001 at Illinois, he had a #1 seed and lost in the Elite Eight. With pretty much the same good core players, he lost in the Sweet 16 the next year and in the 2nd round the year after. 2 years after he left Weber took Illinois to the championship game.

At KU, he was gift wrapped a trip to the Final Four with games in KC and St Louis plus a UAB upset of #1 UK, however they lost in the Elite Eight with an overwhelmingly pro-KU crowd. They were upset as a 3 seed by Bucknell in the opening round with another pre-KU crowd in OKC, which won the ESPY award for Greatest Upset. They lost again the next year in the opening round of 2006 as a 4 seed to Bradley. They were upset in the Elite Eight as the #1 seed.

Self can win the hell out of the B12 Tourney but hasn't lived up to the hype in the NCAA.

samikeyp
03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Elite 8, that is what my ex wives call themselves.

:)

You mean, they found the bodies?

Tippecanoe
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
UCLA
Memphis
Kansas

and Butler :smokin

Jimcs50
03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
You mean, they found the bodies?

Yeah, in Playboy:)

tp2021
03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Tennessee
Kansas
Texas
UCLA

Texas over Kansas in the final, 81-74

tp2021
03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
btw everyone should get in on our bracket challenge

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89742

misterx91578
03-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Kansas, UNC, UCLA, and Texas in the final four

ucla over unc in the final

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 01:34 AM
And we took your fucking coach which was a huge mistake and I am very sorry for.