PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Udoka In, But Allen May Miss Spurs Tilt

duncan228
03-17-2008, 01:18 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.03172008.Spurs-notebook.EN.34d1ea4.html

Pro basketball: Udoka in, but Allen may miss Spurs tilt
Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs expect to be at full strength for tonight's heavyweight showdown with the league-leading Boston Celtics.
Their opponents might not be.

Ray Allen, the Celtics' All-Star guard, missed Boston's victory at Milwaukee on Saturday with a bruised heel and is likely to be a game-time decision tonight.

Boston coach Doc Rivers characterized the injury as "nothing serious" and said Saturday there is a possibility Allen — who is averaging 18.3 points per game — would return to action against the Spurs. However, Rivers is known to be extra cautious with injured players.

"We want to be 100 percent healthy going into the playoffs," Rivers said.

No Allen would be a break for the Spurs, who faced a Celtics team that was without Kevin Garnett in February. Boston won 98-90, in a game in which the Spurs were without point guard Tony Parker.

This time, the Spurs anticipate having all hands on deck.

Ime Udoka, a reserve swingman, is likely to return tonight after missing the past two games with a sore right foot. The official diagnosis was tarsal tunnel syndrome, a compression of the nerves in the foot.

"He's been dealing with it for a while," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It got to the point he couldn't even shoot around."

The Spurs are confident four days of rest, plus an anti-inflammatory shot, was the prescription for Udoka's problem. His return should provide them a boost, considering he had often been the first wing player off the bench before the injury.

Seeds are for suckers:

Don't consider Popovich among the NBA-ophiles who wake up each morning to check the standings in the playoff race.

With the Western Conference as tightly compacted as it is, Popovich says it doesn't matter where you end up, as long as you make the playoffs.

"You'd like to have the highest seeding possible, but I really believe there really is no seeding this year," he said. "One through eight, I don't think it matters. The eighth team is not an eight seed, the first team is not a first seed. There aren't going to be any upsets."

Murderer's row:

Much ado has been made of the Spurs' rigorous March schedule. The Celtics are not on a picnic either.

Their game tonight at the AT&T Center kicks off a four-game southern swing, all against teams that have been on top of the Western Conference at some point — the Spurs, Houston, Dallas and New Orleans.

"We've had playoff-atmosphere games all year," Garnett said. "These games coming up are no different. It should be fun."

gospursgojas
03-17-2008, 01:24 AM
HCA, I would think, is a big deal to most teams

Princess Pimp
03-17-2008, 01:28 AM
HCA, I would think, is a big deal to most teams

Yes it is!

freemeat
03-17-2008, 03:07 AM
I wouldn't consider this team "full-strength" without Barry...might not seem like much, but we could sure use his offense right now.

Budkin
03-17-2008, 03:10 AM
I'll any win we can get, any way.

lrrr
03-17-2008, 05:31 AM
The advantage for the number one seed is that they get to play the Warrior's. Well, not for the Mavs, but you get my drift...

polandprzem
03-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Udoka pushed to the limit as Parker was???

No seeding. In one way it's true, but there are some matchups you want to avoid in the first round, on the other hand you can't realy control with whom you gonna play no matter the standings right now.

MrChug
03-17-2008, 06:29 AM
It means do NOT lose faith even if we're a fucking EIGTH seed!!!!!!!

Bruno
03-17-2008, 06:44 AM
The western conference is so weird this year that a higher seeding doesn't mean an easier first round matchup. Since that playoff first round is in 7 games, HCA is quite meaningless.
Having a low seed will allow Spurs to have a better draft pick. Maybe Pop really like someone in the draft and will be happier with a 7th seed and the 22th pick than with the 1st seed and the 28th pick.

timvp
03-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't really buy the "seeds don't mean anything" talk. You want to start a seven game series at home. You go down 0-2 and you need a miracle to come back and win the series.

Plus, the Spurs are almost unbeatable at him Game 5's at home. IIRC, the only one they lost in the Tim Duncan Era was .4. A Game 7 is pretty rare but that pivotal Game 5 at home is a huge advantage for the Spurs.

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
The western conference is so weird this year that a higher seeding doesn't mean an easier first round matchup. Since that playoff first round is in 7 games, HCA is quite meaningless.
Having a low seed will allow Spurs to have a better draft pick. Maybe Pop really like someone in the draft and will be happier with a 7th seed and the 22th pick than with the 1st seed and the 28th pick.

Didn't they lose that pick in the Thomas trade anyways?

ThomasGranger
03-17-2008, 07:38 AM
They gave up the 09 pick

SenorSpur
03-17-2008, 07:40 AM
As bad as this team needs a win, it doesn't matter how they get it or who's on the floor for the Celtics.

sprrs
03-17-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't really buy the "seeds don't mean anything" talk. You want to start a seven game series at home. You go down 0-2 and you need a miracle to come back and win the series.

Plus, the Spurs are almost unbeatable at him Game 5's at home. IIRC, the only one they lost in the Tim Duncan Era was .4. A Game 7 is pretty rare but that pivotal Game 5 at home is a huge advantage for the Spurs.

The pretty important game 5's I remember were on the road....vs. the Suns last year, vs. the Pistons in '05. And didn't they lose to the Mavs game 5 at home in '03?

MoSpur
03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I also don't buy that "seeding doesn't matter." Who doesn't want homecourt throughout? Its obvious the Spurs are better at home than on the road.

Russ
03-17-2008, 09:06 AM
With the Western Conference as tightly compacted as it is, Popovich says it doesn't matter where you end up, as long as you make the playoffs.

"You'd like to have the highest seeding possible, but I really believe there really is no seeding this year," he said. "One through eight, I don't think it matters. The eighth team is not an eight seed, the first team is not a first seed. There aren't going to be any upsets."

Ironically, the Spurs might get a better match up by playing a No. 1 seed rather than a No. 8.

Matchups have nothing to do with seeding but, of course, home court advantage does.

So would the Spurs rather have a better matchup or HCA if it came down to that? And it might.

pad300
03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Ironically, the Spurs might get a better match up by playing a No. 1 seed rather than a No. 8.

Matchups have nothing to do with seeding but, of course, home court advantage does.

So would the Spurs rather have a better matchup or HCA if it came down to that? And it might.

Personally, I'd take the better matchup, particularly as it comes with a better draft pick...

wildbill2u
03-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Yeah, the teams are pretty even, but home court advantage is sleeping in your own bed, shooting at a familiar basket and backboard, and having a home court crowd behind you to pick you up when you need it.

Saying HCA is nothing of an advantage is just Pop whistling through the graveyard, putting the best pyschological spin on the probability we won't have HCA.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Any Spurs team without Bones Barry is not at full strength, TYVM.

duncan228
03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Saying HCA is nothing of an advantage is just Pop whistling through the graveyard, putting the best pyschological spin on the probability we won't have HCA.

I think that's part of his job.
To put the best spin on any worst case scenerio.
To have his team prepared, physically and pyschologically, for anything.
To make sure they know that he, like us, believes in this team.

SenorSpur
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Yeah, the teams are pretty even, but home court advantage is sleeping in your own bed, shooting at a familiar basket and backboard, and having a home court crowd behind you to pick you up when you need it.

I agree. It wouldn't serve Pop well to come out and admit the obvious.

loveforthegame
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
HCA means a lot. The Spurs are 27-5 at home this year compared to 17-17 on the road. Not to mention an undesirable 9-11 against the top teams in the West.

Good to know Udoka will be back tonight. Maybe it'll mean less Finley.

xmas1997
03-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Personally, I'd take the better matchup, particularly as it comes with a better draft pick...

I agree, and I think Pop is being truthful about that, this year especially so.
The main thing is not to drop to 9th and out of the playoffs entirely which unfortunately is a distinct although remote possibility!
But even worse case scenerio and that happens, the Spurs would end up retooling with a high lottery pick, maybe even #1.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
HCA is overrated, and always will be overrated. It doesnt make a god damn difference where you play. It comes down to if you can execute and perform under pressure. If you need HCA to win it all, then that's not a good sign at all. Everyone starts at 0-0 late next month. GREAT teams get it done no matter what.

boutons_
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Holt should put on a chicken suit and taunt Va Ray Ray if he doesn't play.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Allen is protecting his nuts.

T Park
03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
It seems like the calm before the storm with pop.

Im waiting for him to just lose it and toss Damon Stoudamire across the court or something.

Hes way too calm.

SpurOutofTownFan
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
You're probably right. The only thing Pop hasn't done yet is to start yelling at his players like a maniac (only with manu a few games ago when he whinned about a call).

Maybe he needs to start putting players in the doghouse, yelling and telling them they won't make the playoff roster unless they go balls deep.