PDA

View Full Version : Elliott an embarassment

No4BobbyOrr
03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Longtime Celts fan here, not to troll your board, though. ... i live away from Boston, my hometown, and watch the Celts on League Pass. ... Tonight I got the Spurs broadcast. ... Just wanna say how pissed off my son and I got hearing the unprofessional Sean Elliott (I think that was him doing the color) declare the game OVER with the Spurs up by 17 in the first quarter. ... "The Spur are going to win this game," he announced when the run got white hot. ... Does he always get this foolishly carried away? ... You never declare an NBA game over in the first quarter! ... Elliott oughta be as embarrassed as the Spurs tonight. ... Eventually the Celts fell behind by 22 and had nothing to really play for but pride, and yet still came back. ... Elliott never referred to his dumb prediction or conceded he was wrong. ... The guy is ridiculous and someone should tell him to calm down.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
The absolute worst was when Horry was in the middle of shooting that final shot, and Elliot goes "It's good!!"

ugh

ShoogarBear
03-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Too bad Elliott can't be a top-notch professional non-embarrassment like Tommy Heinsohn.

ludda
03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Too bad Elliott can't be a top-notch professional non-embarrassment like Tommy Heinsohn.

:lol

Solid D
03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
He jinxed them didn't he?

Yeah, he got really carried away. He even prematurely called Horry's final shot "that's good!" He is a homer but not any moreso that Heinsohn has been over the years. I know...I was a Celts fan before I was a Spurs fan.

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
what..thefuck...kind of....reading..material is that.. shit.. are you .. god damn.. kidding.. me.. sean.. is just being sean.. are.. we passing hate.. onto even him.. now.. or what.. end.. transmission.. 3...2..1...

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
He really is awful. Clearly I'm not going to be a huge fan of the Spurs broadcast team as an opposing fan, but he's especially bad by any objective standard.

No4BobbyOrr
03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
you know, after saying all that, i should say up from that tommy heinsohn, the celt's tv color guy, is no day at the beach either. ... in his view, the celts have yet to commit their first foul of the season. ... but being a homer is one thing. ... getting so worked up you declare the game won 8 minutes into the first quarter is another..

myhc
03-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Incredibly stupid and foolish of Sean to say that in the 1st quarter.

Amarelooms
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
The absolute worst was when Horry was in the middle of shooting that final shot, and Elliot goes "It's good!!"

ugh

Elliot is a joke of an annoucer...never heard a bigger homer EVER. He made a fool of himself....if he doesnt stop being such a douche bag expect the league to take the mic away from him :elephant

doldrums
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
How can you talk when you have the BIGGEST homer in the game with Tommy Heinsohn. I mean really, how can you talk.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz

yeah, he was more unprofessional than usual.

Sometimes I forget that Sean Elliott isn't calling it from his couch...

but definitely, the "It's good!!! " and the "Oh, this game is so over!"is the kind of annoying shit you have to put up with foolish fanboys.

Rick Von Braun

:lmao

To the Celtics' fan... you are a disgrace as a fan. You have no common sense to come to a Spurs board to say this. I have endured years of having to listen to Tommy Heinsohn...

Let me give you some "Tommy Points", so you can easily leave and get the fuck out of here.

mavsfan1000
03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Elliot sounds like a fan rather than an announcer. He needs to tame down the homerism.

Agloco
03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
you know, after saying all that, i should say up from that tommy heinsohn, the celt's tv color guy, is no day at the beach either. ... in his view, the celts have yet to commit their first foul of the season. ... but being a homer is one thing. ... getting so worked up you declare the game won 8 minutes into the first quarter is another..

Not to defend Elliotts broadcasting skills, but his logic was sound.

If you're a true contender for a title and you're spotted a 22 point lead in your own gym, you shouldn't lose. Matters not at that point who you're playing against.

Up 22 at any point in your own gym = a win for a contender.

I believe that was his take on it. It happens to be mine as well. No way you let a lead like that evaporate in your own gym, especially at this time of year. Ridiculous

L.I.T
03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I expect out of a home teams announcing crew; objectivity.

At least in their case it's understandable. Favoritism on national crews is not.

wireonfire
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Sean is bad. I lost my respect for him after the game.

But it is funny for a Boston fan to call him out, I always thought the Boston announcers are the worst.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I expect out of a home teams announcing crew; objectivity.

At least in their case it's understandable. Favoritism on national crews is not.

Nobody is expecting pure objectivity. The Mavs broadcast team shows the appropriate level of excitement for the Mavs. But they would never declare a game over in the 1st quarter (or at any point until it is mathematically impossible for the other team to come back). And you would NEVER hear either of them say "That's good!!!" on a shot before it goes in.

That's called professionalism. You cater to your home audience but you don't want to come across like you're a season ticket holder.

For what it's worth, the Boston color guy is almost as bad.

J_Paco
03-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I think it was a bad move by Sean "calling the game" in the first quarter, especially against the best team in the league.

But, Boston has the worst color commentator of any NBA team in Tommy Heinsohn, I usually get depressed when I realize it's a Boston broadcast on LP. If Tommy ain't the worst, well it's gotta be the color guy in Denver. :bang :bang :bang

Behrooz24
03-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Elliott was really bad tonight. Usually his homerism is more in a 'lol' kind of way.

myhc
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM

If you're a true contender for a title and you're spotted a 22 point lead in your own gym, you shouldn't lose. Matters not at that point who you're playing against.

I believe that was his take on it. It happens to be mine as well. No way you let a lead like that evaporate in your own gym, especially at this time of year. Ridiculous

That logic might be sound....if this was the Miami Heat we were playing. But this is the Celtics. Whole different story. I would never declare victory that early in the game. Let's not forget the almost classic meltdown of game 5 against the Lakers in 2003.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:10 PM
ROFL. So yeah, Elliott got excited. And? He cares whether this team wins or losses so he is prone to get excited in good times and pissed when things aren't going good.

And while he's pretty much par in the homerism category compared to most color commentators around the league, he does rip on the guys when necessary. How many times has he gotten on Tim for not taking it up strong? How many times has he been pissed at Parker for not pushing the break?

Overall, he's far, far, far and away the best color commentator I've heard in Spurs history. He' a homer but he's also a Spurs fan, so that's not a huge shock. Put any Spurs fan in that chair and they are going to err on the side of homer. However, he eats with the coaches on road trips and he's still friendly with the players so the insight you get from him is first hand information.

Elliott and Bill Land is my favorite combination of all-time. I hope the Spurs keep this broadcasting duo for a long time because the Spurs broadcasts this year have been the best in the 20+ years I've been watching Spurs games.

twincam
03-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Yes, Elliott is very biased and very PREMATURE when he talks during the game. But he is VERY correct when being blunt on the Spurs inability to take care of business. I give him that.

J_Paco
03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I remember last year when San Antonio played in Boston, Tommy declared the Spurs an old, has-been team - which pissed me the fuck off - but maybe he called it a year too soon. :lol :lol

Some classic Tommy "calls":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EjU3nvru9wA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vu19k2Gdxao

Gosh, he sure didn't see things Big Al's way when Minnesota played in Boston this season, I wonder why? :rolleyes :rolleyes

TampaDude
03-17-2008, 11:15 PM

+1

Up by 22...at the T...and yet, I knew the Spurs would still lose...I just knew it in my gut...

L.I.T
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Nobody is expecting pure objectivity. The Mavs broadcast team shows the appropriate level of excitement for the Mavs. But they would never declare a game over in the 1st quarter (or at any point until it is mathematically impossible for the other team to come back). And you would NEVER hear either of them say "That's good!!!" on a shot before it goes in.

That's called professionalism. You cater to your home audience but you don't want to come across like you're a season ticket holder.

Eh, where I am if we get a game, we typically get the home teams feeds. I've heard much worse than Elliott getting excited during a pivotal game and lapsing into fan mode.

I'd much rather get that than someone parading as an objective announcer and then proceeding to suck up to a big ticket team the entire broadcast.

At the very least with guys like Elliott and Heinsohn, you get excited or pissed off, but at least not bored.

ploto
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Elliott and Bill Land is my favorite combination of all-time. I hope the Spurs keep this broadcasting duo for a long time because the Spurs broadcasts this year have been the best in the 20+ years I've been watching Spurs games.
Really- I just can not stand Bill Land at all. I have to mute him sometimes.

dg7md
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Elliott really embarrassed me tonight as a fan, that was uncalled for tonight, especially the Horry "it's good!" line.

I really like the Mavs announcers myself, but Boston fans hating on Spurs announcers on objectivity is hilarious, the Boston guys are worse than any commentating team I've ever heard.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Eh, where I am if we get a game, we typically get the home teams feeds. I've heard much worse than Elliott getting excited during a pivotal game and lapsing into fan mode.

I'd much rather get that than someone parading as an objective announcer and then proceeding to suck up to a big ticket team the entire broadcast.

At the very least with guys like Elliott and Heinsohn, you get excited or pissed off, but at least not bored.

I have league pass as well and I've heard most of the announcers. Elliott is one of the worst in terms of being way too emotional about the game.

ploto
03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I have league pass as well and I've heard most of the announcers. Elliott is one of the worst in terms of being way too emotional about the game.
At least with Sean it makes sense. He is a former player who has teammates still playing for the team. These guys are his friends- not just some team he provides commentary on.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Elliott really embarrassed me tonight as a fan, that was uncalled for tonight, especially the Horry "it's good!" line.

I really like the Mavs announcers myself, but Boston fans hating on Spurs announcers on objectivity is hilarious, the Boston guys are worse than any commentating team I've ever heard.

The Mavs announcers do a great job of calling the game for the home fans but remaining even-keel. Brad Davis, the color guy, is a former Mav, much like Elliott is a former Spur. But he's not nearly as overtly emotional about the team. I appreciate that.

Off the top of my head, I think the Mavs, Warriors, and T-Wolves guys are the 3 best teams out there in that regard. Boston, Denver, SA, Houston, and Phoenix are probably the 5 worst.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Really- I just can not stand Bill Land at all. I have to mute him sometimes.Likely because you hate the Spurs. I'm sure you are fine with those Canadian commentators.

DSchintziusfanclub
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
wow, things are bad if we're cracking this bad on the broadcasters!

Vinnie_Johnson
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM

ShoogarBear gets a Tommy Point for that one :lol

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:35 PM

:toast

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
The Mavs announcers do a great job of calling the game for the home fans but remaining even-keel. Brad Davis, the color guy, is a former Mav, much like Elliott is a former Spur. But he's not nearly as overtly emotional about the team. I appreciate that.

Off the top of my head, I think the Mavs, Warriors, and T-Wolves guys are the 3 best teams out there in that regard. Boston, Denver, SA, Houston, and Phoenix are probably the 5 worst.

:yawn surprise, surprise.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:39 PM
:yawn surprise, surprise.

They do. A Spurs fan agreed earlier in this thread. But I must be making it up. And he's secretly a Mavs fan in disguise. Right?

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Nah, he/she/it is just a moron.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Nah, he/she/it is just a moron.

That, or you have no idea what you're talking about. Which would be per usual.

Have you even watched the Mavs announcers?

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Oh, I know what I'm talking about. Davis is about as homerific as any other ex-player color commentator. Doesn't bother me. I'm glad Elliott bothers you so.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh, I know what I'm talking about. Davis is about as homerific as any other ex-player color commentator. Doesn't bother me. I'm glad Elliott bothers you so.

Nowhere close. Not even a little.

If you can point me to even one instance where Davis called a game in the first quarter, or predicted that a shot would go in before it did, I will PayPal you 100 bucks. No Joke.

Elliott is 2 levels above Davis in terms of being an overt fan of the team.

Harry Callahan
Not to be disrespectful to the dead, but Red Auerbach, might have been the biggest A-hole the NBA. Arrogant beyond repair. he spent his lifetime screwing over other teams or manipulating rules to his advantage (see Larry Bird acquisition).

Tom Heinson (I don't care if I spelled it right) rightfully is no longer doing national broadcasts anymore.

Boston's turnaround will be very short lived, my Boston friend.

Ed Helicopter Jones
I love Sean Elliott. If he could put his jersey back on and get out there he would.

We have to deal with the national media dissing our team all the time. I'd rather have Elliott being a bit of a Spurs homer than witness the on-air blow job that Kobe Bryant receives whenever his name is mentioned on ESPN/ABC/TNT.

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Nowhere close. Not even a little.

If you can point me to even one instance where Davis called a game in the first quarter, or predicted that a shot would go in before it did, I will PayPal you 100 bucks. No Joke.

Elliott is 2 levels above Davis in terms of being an overt fan of the team.

It's ok Brad Davis Jr., your daddy is the greatest.

Russ
03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
My favorite Tommy Heinsohn story was when the Spurs played the Celts a couple years ago.

The Spurs were laying the wood to 'em in Boston. Suddenly Heinsohn chimes in out of the blue "I don't like these Spurs."

The straight man says, "Huh?"

Heinsohn says, "These guys act like this game is gonna be a walk in the paaak. Look at 'em smiling at each other. If I was a Celtic player I'd be mad and I'd get a haaaad foul in."

"Huh?" says the straight man.

This goes on for a while with Heinson railing about how arrogant the Spurs are. Then finally Bob Cousey sheepishly whispers, "Uh, you know, Tommy, we were the same way." :lol :lol

I just about busted a gut.

Actually, I love the Celtics broadcast team -- they are tops.

ploto
03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Likely because you hate the Spurs. I'm sure you are fine with those Canadian commentators.
No, not a big fan of them either. I really only like Jack Armstrong.

I just do not like Land. He whines too much for my taste.

Princess Pimp
03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
That's the reason Elliott got kicked out of ESPN.

He is prolly the worst commentator in sports.

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
It's ok Brad Davis Jr., your daddy is the greatest.

Way to bail. Look, a blimp! :lol :rolleyes

word
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't like him. He's one of several I have no idea how they have a job.

BonnerDynasty
03-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Elliot is so fucking annoying. He not only jinxed the game in the 1st quarter, he jinx Horry's shot.

Just stfu Elliot.

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Way to bail. Look, a blimp! :lol :rolleyes

Bail on what? Taking your noexistent C note? Davis is as bad as you think Elliott is and it's not surprising that you believe otherwise.

dbreiden83080
03-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Elliot was BAD tonight, but all these guys are HOMERS, your announcers are just as BAD.

Tek_XX
03-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Yes Elliot got carried away but he's not an embarrasment. If you want Walter Cronkite go listen to the Boston crew.

J_Paco
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't recall exactly when it happened, it had to be in December or January of last season, when I was changing channels on League Pass. This was after a Spurs loss earlier in the same evening, and I wanted to see how our divisional rivlas were doing (Rockets and Mavericks) Well, I found the channel that was airing the Mavs game and decide to tune in for a little while. They happened to be up big around the 2nd or 3rd, when the play-by-play guy says, "I've got some good news for you Maverick fans tonight. San Antonio just lost earlier and we'll pull (such and such) amount of games further ahead of them." The color guy responds, "Well, that is great news." (They have themselves a nice chuckle.)

If that isn't an example of unprofessional and "homerish" comments by a local broadcasting team I don't know what is.

The Wizards have the best broadcast team, although the feed usual sucks, in Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier in the entire league.

DarrinS
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Longtime Celts fan here, not to troll your board, though. ... i live away from Boston, my hometown, and watch the Celts on League Pass. ... Tonight I got the Spurs broadcast. ... Just wanna say how pissed off my son and I got hearing the unprofessional Sean Elliott (I think that was him doing the color) declare the game OVER with the Spurs up by 17 in the first quarter. ... ".

Well, considering Ray Allen was out, and how the game was being played (at that moment) who DIDN'T think the SPurs would win.

Congrats to Celtics.

Here's to Detoit, spankin that ass in the ECF. :toast

BonnerDynasty
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
The team that let Lebroom beat them. I doubt it.

timvp
03-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Two tee's, got damn it. :pctoss

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Both the Celtics and Spurs have homer announcers.

sabar
03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
90% of the teams have homer announcers, big deal. I'll care when nationally broadcast games have homer announcers (ABC/ESPN...). Oh wait...

J_Paco
03-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Both the Celtics and Spurs have homer announcers.

What, all of a sudden the Lakers don't?

robbie380
03-18-2008, 01:49 AM
at least you guys don't have to listen to drexler announce games.

v2freak
03-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Well I like Elliott, and I'm glad he is commenting on Spurs games instead of ABC games or TNT games. You listened to him for one game. Get over it.

slayermin
03-18-2008, 03:07 AM
:lol at this thread.

I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't have to hear Heinsohn tonight.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2008, 03:26 AM
That's the reason Elliott got kicked out of ESPN.

He is prolly the worst commentator in sports.He didn't get fired. He left on his own accord because he didn't want to travel as much as he had to with them.

Princess Pimp
03-18-2008, 03:27 AM
He didn't get fired. He left on his own accord because he didn't want to travel as much as he had to with them.

That's the story behind the real truth.

Princess Pimp
03-18-2008, 03:38 AM
He didn't get fired. He left on his own accord because he didn't want to travel as much as he had to with them.

And the last time I checked, ESPN just said that they didn't renew his contract. make your own conclusions.

roycrikside
03-18-2008, 05:39 AM
Look, I'm sorry, but I'm on the minority side here. Elliott needs a good talking to. He's simply not being very professional, calling games before they're over. I remember him doing the same shit last year in Orlando, in the 3rd quarter, when he put a "check" in the Orlando box with his telestrator pen when they ran a graphic showing that month's slate of upcoming games. The Spurs had like a 10 point lead in the 3rd quarter and Elliott marked the game off as a win.

I remember after they lost that for the next few games Elliott was markedly more reserved, so I thought maybe Pop or somebody read him the riot act about it, but maybe not.

It's very disappointing and I sincerely hope that this game will teach him to never do that again. He looks like an ass and by reflection so does the team.

George Gervin's Afro
03-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Longtime Celts fan here, not to troll your board, though. ... i live away from Boston, my hometown, and watch the Celts on League Pass. ... Tonight I got the Spurs broadcast. ... Just wanna say how pissed off my son and I got hearing the unprofessional Sean Elliott (I think that was him doing the color) declare the game OVER with the Spurs up by 17 in the first quarter. ... "The Spur are going to win this game," he announced when the run got white hot. ... Does he always get this foolishly carried away? ... You never declare an NBA game over in the first quarter! ... Elliott oughta be as embarrassed as the Spurs tonight. ... Eventually the Celts fell behind by 22 and had nothing to really play for but pride, and yet still came back. ... Elliott never referred to his dumb prediction or conceded he was wrong. ... The guy is ridiculous and someone should tell him to calm down.

Sorry but Tommy Heinson is the worst homer announcer in the league..hands down.

JustSpurs
03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry but Tommy Heinson is the worst homer announcer in the league..hands down.

Is it me or does he sound like Cliff Claven?

George Gervin's Afro
03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
at least you guys don't have to listen to drexler announce games.

now that is a good point! :lol

SpursWoman
03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I love Sean Elliott, and I'd rather listen to him than any other LeBron/Kobe/Wade/Whateverotherflavorofthemonth fellatiator any day. Like I really give a shit if a Celtic or Maverick fan likes him. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2008, 08:14 AM
this is what you get, homer callers for home teams...

this is why they should rotate the commentators to different games

MoSpur
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
ROFL. So yeah, Elliott got excited. And? He cares whether this team wins or losses so he is prone to get excited in good times and pissed when things aren't going good.

And while he's pretty much par in the homerism category compared to most color commentators around the league, he does rip on the guys when necessary. How many times has he gotten on Tim for not taking it up strong? How many times has he been pissed at Parker for not pushing the break?

Overall, he's far, far, far and away the best color commentator I've heard in Spurs history. He' a homer but he's also a Spurs fan, so that's not a huge shock. Put any Spurs fan in that chair and they are going to err on the side of homer. However, he eats with the coaches on road trips and he's still friendly with the players so the insight you get from him is first hand information.

I couldn't agree more. He always rips on the team for not pushing it. I always hear him giving credit to opposing teams.

sribb43
03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
How can you talk when you have the BIGGEST homer in the game with Tommy Heinsohn. I mean really, how can you talk.

aint that the truth...while i dont care for sean, Elliot is no Heinsohn. for that matter Elliot isnt even on Eddie Johnson's level. now that guy is a homer to the fullest and he actually believes the crap he says. in tommy h. case, i think its more of being old and not sure whats going on.

i actually liked sean when he was with ESPN but as soon as he got with the spurs, serious homer kicked in

ancestron
03-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Not only does he rip on the Spurs for playing poorly, he also spends a great deal of time praising opponents. No matter who the Spurs are playing or what the score, Sean Elliott always talks the opponents up. ("An incredibly gifted player, a fantastic move, a world of talent", etc...) sometimes he spends so much time talking about how good the opponent is I want him to shut up and talk more about the Spurs.
Leave it to a Bostonian to come on a Spurs board and insult the Spurs announcers after the Spurs just lost to the Celtics. Fuck off dude. Sean Elliott is a fucking legend and you can eat shit. :toast

dmac
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
what..thefuck...kind of....reading..material is that.. shit.. are you .. god damn.. kidding.. me.. sean.. is just being sean.. are.. we passing hate.. onto even him.. now.. or what.. end.. transmission.. 3...2..1...
nice use of elipses and periods!

...#$#$%...#$#$#$...#$#$#$#$.$%$%^.@@#@#$#$.$^$$% sean elliot!

johngateswhiteley
03-18-2008, 09:12 AM
sounds like it was pretty funny and much ado about nothing...never understood why fans get so upset about announcing, especially a home teams' commentators.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
The Lakers have never had homer announcers because we've always been so good there is no need to needlessly denigrate the other teams. Chick Hearn and Stu Lance were perhaps the best broadcasting duo of all time in the NBA IMHO.

urunobili
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
you should listen your home crew broadcast... he is one of the most impartials in the the whole league...

Obstructed_View
03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Not to troll your board, but my team just beat your team in heartbreaking fashion and I just registered because I was compelled to say that your favorite-son color commentator is an embarassment to the sport. :rolleyes

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
The Celtics broadcasting crew is a disgrace to basketball. Of course it's perfectly fitting for the city of BOS.

Killakobe81
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Both those guys suck you can be for the home team l(ike the late great chick Hearn or Viin Scully or Marv albert) without sounding like a biased fool cant stand Tommy and his Tommy points ...nnd i thought that was ballsy but foolish for Sean to declare a game over in the first quarter enjoyed watching him eat crow at the end ...the other guy the play by play guy isnt too bad ...(spurs) but even when they showed the replay of Bowen grabbing garnett's jersey Sean wouldnt admit Bowen made a foul he said "the refs just GAVE garnett 2 FT's even though the other guy (pbp) admitted it ...

hater
03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
shawn elliott is a homer. what's new.

Boston commentators are not only homers but they degrade opponents. so they're even worse.

samikeyp
03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
The Lakers have never had homer announcers because we've always been so good there is no need to needlessly denigrate the other teams. Chick Hearn and Stu Lance were perhaps the best broadcasting duo of all time in the NBA IMHO.

Two words:

Joel Myers

samikeyp
03-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Both those guys suck you can be for the home team like the late great chick Hearn or Vin Scully or Marv Albert

Well said. Chick and Vin, IMO, are the two best ever.

SpursWoman
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Two words:

Joel Myers

Seriously ... I forgot Joel went to LA. I think at this point all Laker fans talking shit about Sean seriously need to STHU. At least Sean has his jersey hanging in the Spur's rafters ... Joel just has no excuse at all. :lmao

Agloco
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
That logic might be sound....if this was the Miami Heat we were playing. But this is the Celtics. Whole different story. I would never declare victory that early in the game. Let's not forget the almost classic meltdown of game 5 against the Lakers in 2003.

Gotta disagree here.

When you're spotted 22 points in your own gym, you shouldn't lose......

Period.

Factor in the time of year and you have:

Period!!!!!

tlongII
03-18-2008, 12:21 PM
It's tough to top the Blazers broadcasting team in the "Homer" category, but they make no pretense about it. I want my home team broadcasters to be homers.

spursfan09
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow Sean used to play for the spurs. he is a big time homer. I agree. Now you just need to get over it.

roycrikside
03-18-2008, 01:09 PM
People like TimVP and the other's on Sean's side simply don't get it. It's fine that he's a homer. He can act like the refs always favor the other team and complain when about fouls that were/weren't called like all the other color guys do. I don't have a problem with that.

But you can't say a game is over when it isn't. You just can't do that. It disrespects the other team. Elliott would never say a game was over for the Spurs if they were down 20 in the 1st, or 10 in the 3rd or whatever, so he shouldn't do it for the opposition. That's it.

And also the "it's in" or "it was good all the way" stuff for Horry's shot was a a little weak. I mean the thing wasn't even close. It was never on a straight trajectory. Maybe his angle was bad, watching it.

SpursWoman
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM
What I get is that some of you are taking what he said waaaaaay too seriously. :lol

xmas1997
03-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Geeez, this is ridiculous!
Practically every color announcer working for their particular team is naturally biased.
That is a given!
Thankfully Sean is one the more humorous and intelligent ones, and thus one of the most entertaining!
How can anyone diss Sean?
People are grasping for straws now.
I would much rather listen to him than any other color commentator working today.
Geeez, now I've heard everything.

So, he made a mistake. What? None of you have ever made a mistake before? You are all infallible?

Maybe we should all just bow down and pray to your holiness so we don't go straight to hell in a handbasket!

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Sean is buddies with the guys on the team, so when he says something good about the Spurs its expected.

Heres whats funny though, he doesn't "tear down" the other team.

Last night in that second quarter he kep saying how good the Celtics were.

I mean, if he were a complete homer, he wouldn't do that.

Homer and objective are the cool buzz words so they gotta be thrown around like confetti.

Kinda like that gravtias or whatever horseshit.

GrandeDavid
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I just followed the game passively via the net, literally accompanying the first quarter, doing other stuff, then jumping back in with a couple minutes left to my shellacking. So I did not hear Elliott's comment. However, he's an intelligent man with a great sense of humor. I'm sure he'll rib himself over that gaffe.

But Beantown fan, take it in stride. Good grief.

roycrikside
03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Sean is buddies with the guys on the team, so when he says something good about the Spurs its expected.

Heres whats funny though, he doesn't "tear down" the other team.

Last night in that second quarter he kep saying how good the Celtics were.

I mean, if he were a complete homer, he wouldn't do that.

Homer and objective are the cool buzz words so they gotta be thrown around like confetti.

Kinda like that gravtias or whatever horseshit.

Boy this would be fun if you could read. I'm not saying he was tearing the other team down. What I wrote was that you cannot declare games over in the 1st quarter or ever, in any situation, unless the scrubs are in during garbage time.

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
When you find yourself arguing that objectivity should have a significant place in spectator sports, close the laptop and go outside.

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Boy this would be fun if you could read. I'm not saying he was tearing the other team down. What I wrote was that you cannot declare games over in the 1st quarter or ever, in any situation, unless the scrubs are in during garbage time.

Don't like it?

Change the channel.

Willinsa
03-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Yeah sure, bet that 2 years ago you were not a fan.

SpursWoman
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Politically Correct Fanaticism. Gotta love it.

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I personally love Sean Elliott and his "Ginobili telling ____ to GET HIM SOME OF THAT!"

Its a game. its fun. This isn't fucking life people. its SUPPOSED TO BE ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Christ almighty...

The Nba Is Rigged
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I also was watching that game And I thought it was stupid, Sean Elliot is better than that...

T Park
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Stu Lance is a gigantic homer, don't give me that horsecrap.

He earned that moniker after saying "Chris Mihm is someone on this team that could easily get 10 and 10 a night if given the playing time"

tlongII
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Stu Lance is a gigantic homer, don't give me that horsecrap.

He earned that moniker after saying "Chris Mihm is someone on this team that could easily get 10 and 10 a night if given the playing time"

Agreed. Laker announcers stopped being objective when Chick Hearn died.

T Park
03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

I think I like the message board Jay Mariotti better than the real one.

Jack Sommersset
03-18-2008, 02:57 PM
ESPN hired Elliot for one year to call NBA games nationally. All he could talk about were the Spurs. It was ridiculous. Games the Spurs were not even playing. He had no chance . Of course ESPN didnot renew his contract, SA picked him up and thats what they pay him for, a cheerleader. Spurs ownership as well as fans donot want to hear anything negative about "there" team. Its a perfect fit.

maxpower
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Without reading this entire thread...

I will say that Sean stated the game was over was said within the context of their lead and the way they were playing. I did not take it as gloating or as a statement of fact.

Sean IMO stated it as "they are going to win" based on the way they started, on their 3 game losing streak, on being at home, but over all it was on their attitude. It was not a strike against boston nor was it a thing Sean does. He is a homer and he admits it.
The final call was more out of character but it was not egregious.

What I find appalling is the OP's harsh criticism of Sean based on two calls.

T Park
03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
ESPN hired Elliot for one year to call NBA games nationally. All he could talk about were the Spurs. It was ridiculous. Games the Spurs were not even playing. He had no chance . Of course ESPN didnot renew his contract, SA picked him up and thats what they pay him for, a cheerleader. Spurs ownership as well as fans donot want to hear anything negative about "there" team. Its a perfect fit.

Uh, wrong.

SenorSpur
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
He really is awful. Clearly I'm not going to be a huge fan of the Spurs broadcast team as an opposing fan, but he's especially bad by any objective standard.

As much of a Spurs homer as Elliott is, and he will certainly tell you that, he is no where near a "blind homer". Elliott ALWAYS gives props to players from the other team. He will go out of his way to dole out kudos for fine plays made by the opposition. During the Celtics game, Sean continually stated how fine a player Rondo is and how it was unfair for anyone to have considered him a weak-link in the Celtics starting chain. Furthermore, Elliott has proven time and again that he will just a quickly offer up constructive criticism to the Spurs whereever and whenever warranted.

Which is much more than I can say for the horrible delivery of Mavs color analysts, Bob Ortegal and Brad Davis. Both of whom seemingly believe the Mavs never commit a foul or never make a bad play. Instructions that are probably hand-delivered by Mark Cuban.

spursfan09
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM

It's wierd how people just make up facts.

timmy21_4rings
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
well, Spurs made him to sound like an idiot for a day. It is normal for announcers to say it is over when teams are up 22 points. You look like picky or not seen much matches.

Shelly
03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
As much of a Spurs homer as Elliott is, and he will certainly tell you that, he is no where near a "blind homer". Elliott ALWAYS gives props to players from the other team. He will go out of his way to dole out kudos for fine plays made by the opposition. During the Celtics game, Sean continually stated how fine a player Rondo is and how it was unfair for anyone to have considered him a weak-link in the Celtics starting chain. Furthermore, Elliott has proven time and again that he will just a quickly offer up constructive criticism to the Spurs whereever and whenever warranted.

This is true. He was commenting about Rondo all night. And he always gives opponent players their props when due.

I agree with Chick Hearn being the best. He pretty much called the games until the day he died, didn't he?

The Franchise
03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Clyde Drexlers even worse. :depressed

SenorSpur
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
This is true. He was commenting about Rondo all night. And he always gives opponent players their props when due.

I agree with Chick Hearn being the best. He pretty much called the games until the day he died, didn't he?

Yes he did. And a basketball HOFer to boot.

Slam dunk!

SenorSpur
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
To all these Celtics fans that are complaining about Elliott, have you tried listening to your own Tom Heinsohn. Give me a break. I recall listening to them broadcast a game versus the Spurs. This was, of course, before Garnett arrived and before the Celtics became relevant again. You'll be happy to know your broadcast team was still complaining about being railroading out of the opportunity of drafting Tim Duncan! Huh? I'm thinking, "that was 9 years ago and you guys are still whining about losing the lottery?"

Talk about shameless whining.

dallaskd
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
anyone have the video of this?

Jack Sommersset
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
It's wierd how people just make up facts.

I guess it was two years. I also heard him do a radio interview some years ago. He said when he got to ESPN all the commentators talked about how boring the Spurs were. He went on to say he felt he was against everyone at ESPN defending the Spurs play.

You tell me genius why Elliot is doing Spur games.ESPN did not renew his contract because he was a Spur Homer. He never learned not to be a Spur. You have to be bias to do national games. He was not and lost his job with ESPN.

timvp
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
You have to be bias to do national games. He was not and lost his job with ESPN.Well said.

:tu

Tigole Bitties
03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Our color commentor can kick your color commentor's ass in a game of HORSE.

spursfan09
03-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I guess it was two years. I also heard him do a radio interview some years ago. He said when he got to ESPN all the commentators talked about how boring the Spurs were. He went on to say he felt he was against everyone at ESPN defending the Spurs play.

You tell me genius why Elliot is doing Spur games.ESPN did not renew his contract because he was a Spur Homer. He never learned not to be a Spur. You have to be bias to do national games. He was not and lost his job with ESPN.

So you freaking believe that the sole reason that ESPN didn't offer him more of a contract, because he was a Spurs homer? :rolleyes

DAINTX
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Elliott is very knowledgeable, a great guy, and a homer...but so what? He gets a pass from me because he should be a homer after spending his career as a key contributor to the Spurs, still his home-town team. If you don't like it, you can do one of two things: 1) mute it, or 2) go to hell.

slayermin
03-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I bet it was fun being part of that Wildcat team with Sean and Tom Tolbert. I could see those two keeping the locker room very loose.

Dave McNulla
03-19-2008, 01:59 AM
i've rarely seen a fan of any team like an announcer of any other team when their favorite team is playing the other team.

BIG z
03-19-2008, 02:08 AM
U do know that this not the first time Sean has done that...

greyforest
03-19-2008, 02:56 AM
i've rarely seen a fan of any team like an announcer of any other team when their favorite team is playing the other team.

what?

T Park
03-19-2008, 03:12 AM

Eh, I enjoy the Blazer's play by play guy.
I don't really enjoy the Hornets nor the Cavaliers guys.

ShoogarBear
03-19-2008, 04:47 AM
i've rarely seen a fan of any team like an announcer of any other team when their favorite team is playing the other team.Mike Breen and Walt Frazier rule always.