PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are Fine

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Emotional loss. Four losses in a row is tough to stomach, especially late in the season when the team should be getting ready for the playoffs.

Am I worried? You have to be a little bit worried because there will come a time when the Spurs just don't have it anymore. However, I just don't think we've reached that point in time.

The Spurs are definitely struggling right now but the pieces are still there to make a championship run. Tim Duncan is struggling but the man always picks it up for the playoffs. Always. He's not going to go down without a fight once the postseason starts. He's healthy, he might be fatigued at the moment, but he's healthy.

Tony Parker struggled with injuries all year but he's almost all the way back. He has that burst again that makes him extremely difficult to defend. He can play as well as he did last playoff run. There's no reason he can't.

And Manu Ginobili is better than ever. The Spurs won a championship last year and Ginobili wasn't playing anywhere near as well as he's playing right now. Today, Ginobili can score 35 points and make it look routine.

Bruce Bowen's defense is still top of the line. If he falls off at any point, the Spurs have a backup defender in Ime Udoka ... which is a luxury the Spurs have never head in their previous championship runs with this group.

Fabricio Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry form an impressive and multi-dimensional group of options to put next to Tim Duncan. The Spurs have never had this quality and depth of bigmen to put next to Duncan since David Robinson to retired. And I'm not even including Matt Bonner, who has shown glimpses of high production this season.

Out of Michael Finley and Brent Barry, the Spurs will be able to find at least one shooter who is able to knock down shots. These are two of the better shooters in NBA history. Even if individually they aren't what they used to be, combined at least one of them will be able to help the team.

Jacque Vaughn proved last year that he's good enough to win a championship. He got better as last season's playoffs went along and I expect him to be even better this year in the postseason. If Vaughn falters, Damon Stoudamire is a guy who can come in, run the offense and spread the court.

At the helm, Pop knows what he's doing. He knows what buttons to push with these guys. While Spurs Nation is panicking, the Spurs and Pop are not. The Spurs are the only team in the league who go without gameday practices. Pop is going to do what he needs to do to keep this team fresh -- especially mentally fresh.

I still have supreme confidence in this group. It's not going to be easy but I wouldn't bet against the Spurs. They know how to win championships. When it's money time, I'm glad that this group is my horse in the race.

They got this.

Believe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Creer. :tu

DaDakota
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
It is chemistry, you guys have brought in so many players like Thomas and Stoudamire, and then let Brent Barry go...at least for now....that some of the bench players are not sure of their roles.

Also, Parker is incredible on offense but has he always been so bad on defense?

DD

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Also, can someone change my title to that?
Creer.

Brutalis
I believe.

But the Spurs are not fine. We can't sing that tune anymore. The chip on the shoulder is gone.

Amuseddaysleeper
Hopefully a win dallas can right the ship

Spurs Dynasty 21
When was the last time Duncan lost 4 games in a row?

sa_kid20
03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
The main thing right now is to just make sure you get in the playoffs with the West being so good this year. Let the matchups fall where they may and just deal with it.

Deuce
Posts like this are why he's the best dog owner in the city of San Antonio. He could use a little work on doggie treat selection though, IMHO.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04 semis.

HighLowLobForBig-50
yup , thanks timvp

genomefreak13
03-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I believe...thanks for the Pep talk. Now nothing can change my mind.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
haha what up Deuce

Allanon
03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
DD

Yes and Yes. Parker's a damn good player on offense but on defense, he has problems against bigger guards who can hit the outside J or post him up.

On the other hand, TP usually lights up the opposing guard too.

ShoogarBear
03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
When did timvp starting doing drugs?

duncan228
03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Thank you timvp.
A voice of reason.

I haven't said a word in any thread yet.
I didn't know where to start.

You've done it for me, and I'm sure for lots of us here who still, and always will, believe.

Most of all, from me, thank you for the few words I couldn't find but needed to get out there.

Tim Duncan is struggling but the man always picks it up for the playoffs. Always. He's not going to go down without a fight once the postseason starts. He's healthy, he might be fatigued at the moment, but he's healthy.

I believe in Tim Duncan.

DaDakota
03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
You guys are still the favorites, IMHO....

DD

bresilhac
03-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I agree completely timvp. While disheartened somewhat by tonight's loss I still believe the team has what it takes to win it all again. The most important element that you mention that I agree with the most is the experience factor. These guys have been through the playoff ringer time and again and have numerous trophies to show for it. Now is certainly not the time to panic but to continue to watch as things playout leading up to playoff time.

lefty
03-17-2008, 11:11 PM
http://www.monoscope.com/quickimagepost/2007/11/omega.enstb.org_yannis_cours_s31_i-want-to-believe.jpg

Agloco
......to be a little bit worried because there will come a time when the Spurs just don't have it anymore. However, I just don't think we've reached that point in time........Believe.

Eloquently stated...... unfortunately we've reached the pearly gates for this season (from the point of being a contender for a title).

Losing a 20+ point lead in our own gym at this time of the year hasn't happened in a very long time. Just as ominous a happening as that is, Tim Duncan's demeanor/play of late is even more troubling.

For right now I'm willing to say that we are done, just for the season though.

I'm more concerned with how consistently Timmy plays these last few weeks......

Is the entire joyride over?

1Parker1
Spurs will be fine once Michael Finley gets put in Pop's doghouse...

bonesinaz
03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Every thread has the same doom and gloomers. I am not worried about the Spurs... not while TD is on the team, not while TP is on the team and especially not while Manu is on the team.

BIG z
No they are not fine but finley sure happened to them..

Brutalis
When did timvp starting doing drugs?
Score! ShoogarBear 1, timvp 0

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:13 PM
If you disagree with my post, please post in this thread. I want to be able to laugh at the post people possible when I bump it in three months.

Thanks.

P.S.

Kori says she won't post until the Spurs win again. She's :stirpot:

Amuseddaysleeper
03-17-2008, 11:14 PM
If you disagree with my post, please post in this thread. I want to be able to laugh at the post people possible when I bump it in three months.

Thanks.

P.S.

tell her we look forward to her return this thursday

SenorSpur
I believe in what I see. And based upon what I see, the Spurs are declining right before our eyes. Unless level of play picks up...and soon, there may not be a long, playoff run.

SuperManu!!!
YEah yeah keep thinking everythings fine just like the spurs and you might watch the playoffs from the tv instead of being on the court. They are not ok and i blame it on pop. Why play horry? We have thomas Why finley!??? All this shitty rotation is causing the losses

remingtonbo2001
Keep the FAITH!

whottt
03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Getting Barry back will help.

I want to see them triple team Duncan with Barry out on the court. Does not happen.

Will also help if Pop either

A. Stop running small ball
B. Gets the players to run it correctly.

On the brightside...Thomas finally found his place and that is coming off the bench.

And Horry didn't hit that shot because it was basically a turn and shoot...Horry has never made one of those in his entire career yet, he definitely has to be squared to the basket to hit his big shots.

All in all, I've seen the Spurs go into the post season hot plenty of times and they end up with a kicked butt, and the worst ones of those have come in years we are trying to repeat....I've got no problems believing this stretch will be forgotten once the post season starts and the Spurs get their rotation set.

Barry clearly would be serving us better than Udoka or Finley right now...

The Nba Is Rigged
The Spurs are unstoppable, no team can beat them.

Agloco

Thanks.

P.S.

timvp

DDParker was a very good defender last year in the playoffs. He's been an inconsistent regular season defender in the last couple regular seasons. That is true.

Tonight though, Rondo was hitting his jumper like he rarely does. And Parker's responsibility for a chunk of the game was Eddie House ... who he defended well.

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:16 PM

Thanks.

P.S.

I'll go on record and laugh at your post. :)

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
And Parker's responsibility for a chunk of the game was Eddie House ... who he defended well.

Until of course, House hit that wide open 3 pointer that stole the game.

Brutalis
I believe in what I see. And based upon what I see, the Spurs are declining right before our eyes. Unless level of play picks up...and soon, there may not be a long, playoff run.
Just keeping it real right?

Telling it like it is. Case closed.

whottt

As long as she keeps it to posting...I said the same thing about changing my underwear and boy do I regret that right about now :td

crc21209
I think we're fine, the thing is....we came out of the gates with ALL the energy in the world and we got up 20 sumthin points, fine, but I think as the 3rd and 4th came along they got tired, its normal. 8 GAMES IN 11 NIGHTS caught up to them in that 3rd and 4th, but even then they still had a chance to win the game, Timmy goes thru these kinda funks every year but we should all know better than to doubt him. Manu is playing better this year than last year and Tony is coming along fine, Bruce will always be there, Rob can turn it on when it counts, most of these guys are PROVEN in the playoffs, this loss sucks ass and is the worst loss of the year, it hurts alot as a fan, can you imagine has it it as a player? We are only a game away from 8th, but also 3 games from first, the West is crazy, and remember over these next few weeks other teams will have bitch schedules now......

Rockets:

Sun, Mar 16 LA Lakers
Tue, Mar 18 Boston
Wed, Mar 19 @ New Orleans
Fri, Mar 21 @ Golden State
Sat, Mar 22 @ Phoenix

5 games in 7 days.

Lakers:

Sun, Mar 16 @ Houston
Tue, Mar 18 @ Dallas
Thu, Mar 20 @ Utah
Fri, Mar 21 Seattle
Sun, Mar 23 Golden State
Mon, Mar 24 @ Golden State

6 games in 9 days.

Hornets:

Sun, Mar 16 @ Detroit
Mon, Mar 17 Chicago
Wed, Mar 19 Houston
Sat, Mar 22 Boston

4 games in 7 days (not as bad, but Detroit, Houston, and Boston all tough games)

Suns:

Sat, Mar 22 Houston
Mon, Mar 24 @ Detroit
Wed, Mar 26 @ Boston
Fri, Mar 28 @ Philadelphia
Sat, Mar 29 @ New Jersey
Mon, Mar 31 Denver
Tue, Apr 1 @ Denver

7 games in 11 nights. (Again, not as bad, but mostly all tough games.)

Das Texan
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
we still got this shit.

once finley finds his bench seat, we will be fine*

*as long as bones doesnt destroy his leg again*

Russ
03-17-2008, 11:20 PM
There is simply no rational reason that the Spurs should not compete for the title this year. The roster, their age, their mental toughness in big games, etc., all point to a strong defense. That foundation trumps whatever bad stretch they may be in the midst of.

That said, I think Parker needs to get focussed and be the leader -- he seems preoccupied somehow (so much for 10 cent psychoanalysis).

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:21 PM
When did timvp starting doing drugs?Shoog jumped off the bandwagon last year so this is actually a good omen.

No they are not fine but finley sure happened to them..At least he can spell Finley right now.

YEah yeah keep thinking everythings fine just like the spurs and you might watch the playoffs from the tv instead of being on the court. They are not ok and i blame it on pop. Why play horry? We have thomas Why finley!??? All this shitty rotation is causing the lossesManu got this.

I'll go on record and laugh at your post. :)That Knicks prediction worked well for me last year.

Let's go. V-Crew, where are you? I saw you all jump off the bandwagon simultaneously.

SpursFanFirst
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM

Well, she did lose on bundle on vBookie tonight. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Capt Bringdown
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM
A lot of fans are basing their hopes for this year on what happened last year.

All year long we're not supposed to believe the Spurs are declining because the Spurs will really start playing in the playoffs.

Gosh, I hope so, but I'm tired of watching the Spurs play crappy ball. Even when we're winning we haven't looked very convincing.

Whatever happens, next year this team's gonna have some new faces. I hope we can move away from the idea that the regular season is just a joke. I can't help but admire the Celtics for playing inspired, passionate basketball from day one.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
timvp you were believable until you invoked bonner, that just seems way too forced

either ask kori to rally the bravatar nation or tonight we will not be racking the timvp

Nothing you can say will explain why the spurs left Garnett a 8 foot cushion of space to effectively win the game, then not get the rebound when the insanely low probable possibility happens and he misses.
That, on top of running the shot clock out two possessions in a row for no reason was fucking stupid, nothing more, nothing less.

1Parker1
That Knicks prediction worked well for me last year.

Hmm, that Boston prediction worked out pretty well for you too...

Luckily, the Spurs won’t have to answer those questions because San Antonio is beating Boston on Monday. I guarantee it. The Celtics can take that best record and shove it. The Spurs ain't losing this one.

:reading

timvp
Whatever happens, next year this team's gonna have some new faces. I hope we can move away from the idea that the regular season is just a joke. I can't help but admire the Celtics for playing inspired, passionate basketball from day one.That served the Mavs oh so well last year.

SpursFanFirst
03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
As long as she keeps it to posting...I said the same thing about changing my underwear and boy do I regret that right about now :td

:lol TMI!

pad300
03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
We are not currently all right.

HOWEVER,

we MAY be able to right the ship to make the playoffs (which we might well miss if we keep playing like this...) and win out.

We really need someone who can hit an outside shot (thank god Barry is coming back...). We also need to start putting some effort in. Finally, a little respect from the refs (particularly for TIM - why can anyone maul him in the post w/o getting called for a foul?!?) would also help a lot.

Das Texan
03-17-2008, 11:27 PM
another thing, my best friend has done his annual spurs are done rants.

must be a good sign.

:smokin

whottt
Let's go. V-Crew, where are you? I saw you all jump off the bandwagon simultaneously.

True...it was a dark day in the history of the V-Crew.

I think going to the Cayman Islands is making them soft. Next thing you know they'll start drinking Pina Coladas.

Got to say I was surprised...

I just want to ask you people one thing...

Did this loss cost the Spurs a championship? No it didn't.

This team is a championship team and they are not like the other teams.

And frankly...the Spurs usually play well when they are in repeat years....in fact they are usually the favorite to win it all again. This is actually a nice change of pace.

There are no holes in this Spur team...and while they may be old, they are also deep, and IMO, they are totally and thoroughly commited to the repeat, as they realize this might be their last chance to do it.

As for me...thse mofos have given me four championship runs to enjoy, and they have earned my trust.

timvp
Hmm, that Boston prediction worked out pretty well for you too...

:readingTrue. Good point. I thought the Spurs would be able to rev up with one crank. Apparently they'll need one maybe two more cranks to start this machine.

DubMcDub
Thank you timvp.
A voice of reason.

I think the Spurs will be alright, but there is absolutely nothing about the original post here that cries, "Reason." This is a Spurs fan trying to convince himself that everything is ok.

Spurminator
03-17-2008, 11:29 PM
As bad as we look and as frustrating as these games are to watch, I still have a hard time seeing us losing 4 out of 7 to one team.

MannyIsGod
Yeah, they can win a championship. There's no denying that.

But they've done nothing to show that they will in the past couple of weeks. I'm not jumping ship, but I can't sit here and act as though they're in good position to repeat.

1Parker1
True. Good point. I thought the Spurs would be able to rev up with one crank. Apparently they'll need one maybe two more cranks to start this machine.

Sometimes the machine is too old and no amount of cranks will help. Sometimes it's better to just throw out the old pieces and buy new parts to replace it.

SpurOutofTownFan
Thank God - one good thread after all.

timvp
I think the Spurs will be alright, but there is absolutely nothing about the original post here that cries, "Reason." This is a Spurs fan trying to convince himself that everything is ok.Yeah, let's look to a Mav Fan to help point out whether or not the Spurs have championship mettle. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

ShoogarBear
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I hope that this piece of namby-pamby Pollyannaism isn't taking the place of your game thoughts for tonight. Fluffy homer takes are the easy way out--you can bump it if you were right, but if you turn out wrong, you can then just criticize people because they didn't Believe enough.

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
timvp I think this is like a media thread. Like one of those ESPN bullshit stories.

You can't turn around and make a thread like this and expect anyone to just be on board. I believe and always will in playoff time but for the regular season, it's too late to find whatever 'groove' unless we won out or lost once more..

This is natural though. People want to be inspired so a thread like this will do it for them.

But also this is reality. You can't just dream all the time and say hey, things will be better. The Spurs are losing every which way and we have added issues on top of old ones (FTs, Rebounding). Our defense is bad, our offense is worse, and our bench is non-existent.

I believe we can do anything come playoff time. But, in present time. We suck. I love em even though, we suck right now. Bad.

And I'm one of those people that don't wanna pep talk or to be cheered up. I'd rather face the loss and the drama and fight it again tomorrow. And the day after.

If I haven't been a fan for so long now would have been the time I'd jump off this boat. But although the waves are soaking me, fuck it. It's sorta fun on bottom when you know what we are capable of doing.

daslicer
03-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't think the spurs are as bad as they are even though they are something like 1-6 the last several games. I would say they are actually in the middle. A lot of these losses except the Hornets blowout could have gone either way. Right now the spurs are suffering from Murphy's law. It seems like that in every game the worst thing that can happen will happen like tonight the celtics comeback from 22. I think the spurs should have gotten this game it felt like a fluke loss. Seriously as good as the celtics are its rare as hell in this league to comeback from 20 plus points and win a game.

ShoogarBear
Shoog jumped off the bandwagon last year so this is actually a good omen.Link?

I remember KEDA asking if people though the Spurs as constituted at the time would win the championship. I remember a lot of other people, including Kori, saying they probably wouldn't.

timvp
Sometimes the machine is too old and no amount of cranks will help. Sometimes it's better to just throw out the old pieces and buy new parts to replace it.

:smokinThe Spurs can get one more summer out of this lawnmower.

Believe.

DubMcDub
Yeah, let's look to a Mav Fan to help point out whether or not the Spurs have championship mettle. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Just calling it for what it is.

My team affiliation has nothing to do with anything. As I said, I believe the Spurs will be fine. But your post absolutely, undeniably cries of a person who is trying to convince himself that things are fine when he clearly has doubts that they are.

Much like many others on here are overreacting to the loss, you are also overreacting, but in the opposite direction.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I hope that this piece of namby-pamby Pollyannaism isn't taking the place of your game thoughts for tonight. Fluffy homer takes are the easy way out--you can bump it if you were right, but if you turn out wrong, you can then just criticize people because they didn't Believe enough.Link to where I've ever done that?

whottt
The Spurs were in it at the end and they didn't lose due to age, they lost due to not playing for 4 quarters.

There was nothing alarming about this loss.

1Parker1
Yeah, let's look to a Mav Fan to help point out whether or not the Spurs have championship mettle. Your thoughts?

Thanks.

:lol

Holt's Cat
03-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Well, at least they're getting the losses out of the way quickly now.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Just calling it for what it is.

My team affiliation has nothing to do with anything. As I said, I believe the Spurs will be fine. But your post absolutely, undeniably cries of a person who is trying to convince himself that things are fine when he clearly has doubts that they are.

Much like many others on here are overreacting to the loss, you are also overreacting, but in the opposite direction.What part of the post do you have problems with? Please give us your insight since you obviously know championship basketball.

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
LOLing in this thread for real..

whottt
03-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, at least they're getting the losses out of the way quickly now.

Shit...I just saw a unicorn.

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:35 PM
The Spurs were in it at the end and they didn't lose due to age, they lost due to not playing for 4 quarters.

They haven't played for 4 quarters in about 8 games now. Of course this was an alarming loss. Especially considering they had about a 23 point lead in the first quarter and all the momentum. They were coming off a 3 game losing streak on the road, played a game back home, this should have been a must win for the team.

Why is it that the Celtics who comfortably will get the 1st seed in the East, and who were playing without one of their All-Stars in Ray Allen, could show up for this game and play in the 2nd half on the road, but the Spurs couldn't do it at home?

Manu_Ginobili
03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Emotional loss. Four losses in a row is tough to stomach, especially late in the season when the team should be getting ready for the playoffs.

Am I worried? You have to be a little bit worried because there will come a time when the Spurs just don't have it anymore. However, I just don't think we've reached that point in time.

The Spurs are definitely struggling right now but the pieces are still there to make a championship run. Tim Duncan is struggling but the man always picks it up for the playoffs. Always. He's not going to go down without a fight once the postseason starts. He's healthy, he might be fatigued at the moment, but he's healthy.

Tony Parker struggled with injuries all year but he's almost all the way back. He has that burst again that makes him extremely difficult to defend. He can play as well as he did last playoff run. There's no reason he can't.

And Manu Ginobili is better than ever. The Spurs won a championship last year and Ginobili wasn't playing anywhere near as well as he's playing right now. Today, Ginobili can score 35 points and make it look routine.

Bruce Bowen's defense is still top of the line. If he falls off at any point, the Spurs have a backup defender in Ime Udoka ... which is a luxury the Spurs have never head in their previous championship runs with this group.

Fabricio Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry form an impressive and multi-dimensional group of options to put next to Tim Duncan. The Spurs have never had this quality and depth of bigmen to put next to Duncan since David Robinson to retired. And I'm not even including Matt Bonner, who has shown glimpses of high production this season.

Out of Michael Finley and Brent Barry, the Spurs will be able to find at least one shooter who is able to knock down shots. These are two of the better shooters in NBA history. Even if individually they aren't what they used to be, combined at least one of them will be able to help the team.

Jacque Vaughn proved last year that he's good enough to win a championship. He got better as last season's playoffs went along and I expect him to be even better this year in the postseason. If Vaughn falters, Damon Stoudamire is a guy who can come in, run the offense and spread the court.

At the helm, Pop knows what he's doing. He knows what buttons to push with these guys. While Spurs Nation is panicking, the Spurs and Pop are not. The Spurs are the only team in the league who go without gameday practices. Pop is going to do what he needs to do to keep this team fresh -- especially mentally fresh.

I still have supreme confidence in this group. It's not going to be easy but I wouldn't bet against the Spurs. They know how to win championships. When it's money time, I'm glad that this group is my horse in the race.

They got this.

Believe.

Well, this is ALL good, but the question is whether we CAN MAKE the Playoffs this year?

DaDakota
The only thing that the Spurs really need to worry about is convincing the team that it is really 2009....and an odd year.

:D

DD

Cant_Be_Faded
the only thing that will save this spurs team is if they all drink an ergot-tea concoction, and do some soul searching.

Capt Bringdown
That served the Mavs oh so well last year.

Thank you for saying that...this is precisely the type of comment and attitude I can't stand.

Spurs fans discounting the notion of playing well in the regular season, based on what happened last year. Fine, there have been some spectacular example of this in recent memory.

But this is not really the norm is it? Thinking of all the great NBA championship teams...Did the Bulls complacently glide thru the regular season? Lakers? Celtics?

Playing like dominant ass-kicker is never a bad thing IMO.

timvp
Link?

I remember KEDA asking if people though the Spurs as constituted at the time would win the championship. I remember a lot of other people, including Kori, saying they probably wouldn't.I'll find a link once the search is turned back on. Get ready . . .

Russ
I think the Spurs will be alright, but there is absolutely nothing about the original post here that cries, "Reason." This is a Spurs fan trying to convince himself that everything is ok.
Reason and optimism can coexist. You may have to convince yourself that the sun will come up tomorrow when things look bleakest -- even though reason already guarantees that it will. In fact, sometmes pessimism (rather than optimism) is irrational and it takes "convincing" to bring reason to the fore.

DubMcDub
What part of the post do you have problems with? Please give us your insight since you obviously know championship basketball.

Know it just as well as you do, unless you're Tim Duncan et all, in which case I'll gladly defer to you.

Believe it or not, being a fan of a winning team doesn't mean that you've done shit, or that you know any more about winning championships than a Memphis Grizzlies fan.

Love the inflated ego, though.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
people act like we have never lost 4 in a row before. tough schedule tough confrence tough officiating= 4 game skid. non Believers go sign in at the quitters thread

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 11:39 PM
They haven't played for 4 quarters in about 8 games now. Of course this was an alarming loss. Especially considering they had about a 23 point lead in the first quarter and all the momentum. They were coming off a 3 game losing streak on the road, played a game back home, this should have been a must win for the team.

Why is it that the Celtics who comfortably will get the 1st seed in the East, and who were playing without one of their All-Stars in Ray Allen, could show up for this game and play in the 2nd half on the road, but the Spurs couldn't do it at home?
Way to step up to the plate in these threads.

I agree. It's okay to be alarmed.

I feel like Spurs fans.. even some on this board that I know are diehard to the core... are homer and don't even see it. There is no chip on the shoulder .. and it's amazing now that I step back and see on these threads who feels like they have one with the way they talk.. if you know what I mean by that.

T Park
Not one worry not one bit.

pad300

Really, we have lost a LOT of games by not playing 4 quarters. While this team usually does that kind of think in Dec, Jan, and Feb, by March, they have started playing 4 quarters every game... The fact that they haven't cottoned on to the game being 4 quarters long by this point in the season is slightly alarming.

ShoogarBear
03-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Link to where I've ever done that? Link to where you scoured through old threads finding for where you were right? Man, that will be sooooo hard.

Link to where you were wrong? Well, that will actually be hard, because you don't scour for those.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-17-2008, 11:41 PM

I feel like Spurs fans.. even some on this board that I know are diehard to the core... are homer and don't even see it. There is no chip on the shoulder .. and it's amazing now that I step back and see on these threads who feels like they have one with the way they talk.. if you know what I mean by that.

create a win/win situation for yourself much?

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Actually, Timvp, I'm curious on your "real" takes on Finley and Horry. Seeing as how Pop truly thinks both these players will be an integral part of the Spurs championship run this year, do you honestly trust and believe that they aren't done.

I'm sure Finley will eventually snap out of this shooting funk and score 20 some points one of these days and he may have a game or two that's good in the playoffs. But honestly, I think that's a longshot. Especially considering that those other games when his shot isn't falling, Finley just plain hurts the team. He can't box out and get a rebound to save his life, he's not exactly a good ball handler or playmaker, and his defense is absolutely atrocious.

As for Horry, I've always agreed with you and thought his basketball IQ is off the charts and even if his shot isn't falling, it's invaluable to have in the 4th quarter of games. This season, Horry is making more boneheaded plays than a rookie. His defense is obviously slow and instead of making up for it with a heady, veteran play, all I see is him commit bad foul after bad foul after his man picks him off and leaves him in the dust. He's playing jumpy, sometimes overexcited and overaggressive, and he doesn't seem to compliment Duncan that well down low as in the past.

I say both players are done, and that's what worries me.

dbreiden83080
Any other season and this kind of play right now would only mildly annoy me but this year with the way the west is, it is just a nightmare that we are playing this badly. Right now the 8 seed has 24 losses we have 23. When you look at how BAD they are playing right now with the rest of the schedule they have it is a scary thought to think that the Spurs may miss the playoffs for the first time in the Duncan era. You just can afford losses like tonight when you are dominating and then fall apart,, not this season. I will always believe as long as #21 draws breath but i would be lying if i said i am not worried.

Brutalis
people act like we have never lost 4 in a row before. tough schedule tough confrence tough officiating= 4 game skid. non Believers go sign in at the quitters thread
Why do so many Spur fans reference previous years?

This is the present... come on now..

whottt

Why was this game a must win game?

Because it was a must win game for the Celtics...to prove to themselves they can beat the Spurs.

It was a much bigger game for the Celts...there's really no such thing as a big regular season game for the Spurs. These mofos have done it all.

I mean are you saying the Spurs aren't going to make the Post Season?

To tell you the truth..it's not natural for a defending champion to play better in the regular season than they did the year before, they almost always are more complacent, and the fact that the Spurs haven't been is probably the main reason they lacked a champions confidence in their other repeat campaigns.

This Spur team is actually preforming like a repeat champion is supposed to perform.

You know...Willie Mays used to strike out on fastballs in the early innings of games often, he just didn't care, and then in the fourth quarter when they'd tried to get a fastball past him...it usually wound up in somebodies seat. He didn't care about getting first inning hits...he cared about getting fourth quarter hits :smokin

It's just a different mindset once a team has been there and done, and this is the first repeat Spurs team I have seen that actually has that mindset. Probably because it has the most retuning players.

In short...no, this was not a must win game.

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
create a win/win situation for yourself much?
Pop that loud ego much?

Manu_Ginobili
03-17-2008, 11:43 PM
04 semis.

they are asking you during the reg season, you dummy...not in the playoffs...

bostonguy
03-17-2008, 11:44 PM
The spurs will be fine. I agree with that.

You got to admit the Celtics coming back from 22 down with no Ray Allen is impressive. Sam Cassell was a HUGE signing. He is going to be vital in the playoffs for us. Man this team is fucking good. They have bigs that are physical and can rebound, they have depth, and they are a great defensive team as well. The Celtics can hang with anyone in a 7 game series.

1Parker1
Oh and for the record, I'm not "quitting" on the team. As long as the Spurs have a healthy Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili it's pretty much impossible for any sane fan to think the Spurs don't have a chance.

However, I will go on record and say that the Spurs are in no way, shape, or form "fine" and they have A LOT of work ahead of them. They're going to need luck, good matchups, and hope for plenty of upsets if they want to repeat this year.

timvp
Thank you for saying that...this is precisely the type of comment and attitude I can't stand.

Spurs fans discounting the notion of playing well in the regular season, based on what happened last year. Fine, there have been some spectacular example of this in recent memory.

But this is not really the norm is it? Thinking of all the great NBA championship teams...Did the Bulls complacently glide thru the regular season? Lakers? Celtics?

Playing like dominant ass-kicker is never a bad thing IMO.Name the last "dominant ass-kicker" team to win a championship. Post-Jordan, every championship team has had a rocky road. Literally, every single one.

1999 - Spurs sucked to start off the season.
2000 - The Lakers were a Portland meltdown away from being eliminated.
2001 - The Lakers were dominant in the playoffs ... but that was their worst regular season showing off all three championship teams.
2002 - They looked horrible in the second half of the season.
2003 - Spurs sucked to start the season.
2004 - The Pistons had long losing streak late in the year.
2005 - Spurs struggled at this same point in the season.
2006 - The Heat sucked almost the entire regular season.
2007 - Spurs sleepwalked through the regular season.

There hasn't been a dominant "ass-kicking" regular season team to go on a bust through during the playoffs in a long time. The regular season wonders are usually the teams that run out of juice in the playoffs. The championship teams are the ones with experience who peak during the playoffs.

Holt's Cat
It isn't over, pussies.

loveforthegame
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Believe!!

Manu_Ginobili
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM

what is your e-mail address? you sent me some e-mails?

dbreiden83080
03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
On a side note, good god was Elliot a HOMER tonight broadcasting. I mean he usually is somewhat BAD with that but tonight he was cheering for missed FT's from Boston and called Horry's shot good when it left his hand, when it was not even close. He called the game over in the first Qtr and then he said "He almost got so upset with the Spurs he nearly took his headset off", when they were blowing their lead. Seems everyone is feeling the heat of this bad run they are in right now. :drunk

timvp
Know it just as well as you do, unless you're Tim Duncan et all, in which case I'll gladly defer to you.

Believe it or not, being a fan of a winning team doesn't mean that you've done shit, or that you know any more about winning championships than a Memphis Grizzlies fan.

Love the inflated ego, though.Inflated ego? I've asked you to point out which parts of the post you have a problem with. I've opened up the floor to you to display your wisdom.

What more do you want?

Brutalis

Let's pretend you asked me. Cool.

Because maybe, just maybe Manu, Tim and Tony have real feelings. Like, maybe they need a shot of confidence in hard times? You think it was a must win to them? I bet you anything anybody on the Spurs roster, or staff would say it's a must win game.

To prove to yourself you can beat these guys. (Even without Allen..???..)

To gain some confidence in a rough stretch? Repeating myself much?

Come on. This game was a must win to them more than it was to us and reality.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-17-2008, 11:47 PM
they are asking you during the reg season, you dummy...not in the playoffs...

Care to show me where it says only regular season, asshole?

HighLowLobForBig-50
Pop that loud ego much?

not really, i just wanna know who has the sig about spurs fans each having their own personal ledge from which to jump, at their chosen time.

manu foulin' dirk hurt, but i def hadnt jumped yet

whottt
Name the last "dominant ass-kicker" team to win a championship. Post-Jordan, every championship team has had a rocky road. Literally, every single one.

2001 - The Lakers were dominant in the playoffs ... but that was their worst regular season showing off all three championship teams.

There hasn't been a dominant "ass-kicking" regular season team to go on a bust through during the playoffs in a long time. The regular season wonders are usually the teams that run out of juice in the playoffs. The championship teams are the ones with experience who peak during the playoffs.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't both of Jordan's 3 peat teams perform worse in the regular season with each succesive year? I believe they did.

So did the Rockets.
So did the Lakers.

In fact every repeat champion since about 1990 has performed worse in the regular season the following year.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Link to where you scoured through old threads finding for where you were right? Man, that will be sooooo hard.

Link to where you were wrong? Well, that will actually be hard, because you don't scour for those.Link to the official website for Kleenex?

1Parker1

It wasn't a must win game, if you read what I said, I said it was a game the Spurs SHOULD have won hands down.

When you've lost 3 in a row, dropped down to the 6th seed from the 1st seed in a matter of days, have only 16 games left in the regular season, went up 23 points in the first quarter, were playing in front of your home crowd, I'd say the Spurs should have won the game instead of collapsing as they did in the 2nd half. Every game matters right now in the tough Western Conference.

Don Quixote
This is an exercise in irony, right?

SequSpur
This game was a must win because the spurs are about 2 games out of the fucking lotter y.

How fucking important is that? Some of you guys fucking kill me sometimes with your dumbass stupidity.

whottt
03-17-2008, 11:49 PM
It wasn't a must win game, if you read what I said, I said it was a game the Spurs SHOULD have won hands down.

When you've lost 3 in a row, dropped down to the 6th seed from the 1st seed in a matter of days, have only 16 games left in the regular season, went up 23 points in the first quarter, were playing in front of your home crowd, I'd say the Spurs should have won the game instead of collapsing as they did in the 2nd half.

Every game matters right now in the tough Western Conference.

False...the only one that matters to the Spurs is the one that eliminates them from the playoffs, and you won't see that game happen.

I want the eighth seed...I want Houston in the first round. Hell freaking yeah...why wouldn't you want that?

Let the Mavs, Suns and Lakers beat the crap out of each other....Spurs have some old scores that need to be settled.

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:50 PM
You got to admit the Celtics coming back from 22 down with no Ray Allen is impressive. Sam Cassell was a HUGE signing. He is going to be vital in the playoffs for us. Man this team is fucking good. They have bigs that are physical and can rebound, they have depth, and they are a great defensive team as well. The Celtics can hang with anyone in a 7 game series.

:tu Boston is looking very, very impressive. The Cassell signing may just be the thing that takes them over the top.

dbreiden83080
03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Name the last "dominant ass-kicker" team to win a championship. Post-Jordan, every championship team has had a rocky road. Literally, every single one.

The Heat being the biggest one right there. Not much title experience on that squad and they gave nobody the impression they were contenders all year and then come playoff time, they were pretty fantastic, although Dallas did choke in the finals.

DubMcDub
03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Inflated ego? I've asked you to point out which parts of the post you have a problem with. I've opened up the floor to you to display your wisdom.

What more do you want?

You were clearly being facetious. Don't play coy. I've heard the same bullshit a million times from Spurs fans. It's the "go to" response whenever a Mavs fan interjects a legitimate opinion.

It's amazing what the Spurs have done over the past 10 years, but if you think their accomplishments make you personally more of an expert on "championship" basketball than any other hardcore NBA fan, you are sadly mistaken.

SequSpur
03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
:tu Boston is looking very, very impressive. The Cassell signing may just be the thing that takes them over the top.

Huh? If he played against Vaughn everynight then maybe... btw, that was dumb fucking move...

I got sick of watching Cassell score 12 straight points on Vaughn before Pop finally fucking did something.

Brutalis
not really, i just wanna know who has the sig about spurs fans each having their own personal ledge from which to jump, at their chosen time.

manu foulin' dirk hurt, but i def hadnt jumped yet
Not me?..? (the hell you rambling about)

dbreiden83080
This game was a must win because the spurs are about 2 games out of the fucking lotter y.

How fucking important is that? Some of you guys fucking kill me sometimes with your dumbass stupidity.

You feel like it is a MUST win in the moment but it was NOT. The thing about the west is the Spurs could win 3 of the next 4 and if they get some help move up like 3 spots. It is that crazy right now.

Harry Callahan
2004 Playoffs vs LAL

Holt's Cat
Inflated ego? I've asked you to point out which parts of the post you have a problem with. I've opened up the floor to you to display your wisdom.

What more do you want?

Well, you did post something positive about the Spurs in a Spurs forum.

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I want the eighth seed...I want Houston in the first round. Hell freaking yeah...why wouldn't you want that?

Whott, are you Nostradamus now and can see in the future? How the heck do you know that the Rockets will get or keep the first seed?

Spurs need to win as many games as they can to get a top 4 seed. It's asking way too much for a Spurs team that's sub-par on the road this year especially, to win 3 straight playoff series on the road without HCA. What's more, even if they get Houston and beat them in the first round, do you think they'll be able to beat a team like the Jazz, or a healthy Lakers team, or even the Mavs playing this way?

SequSpur
You feel like it is a MUST win in the moment but it was NOT. The thing about the west is the Spurs could win 3 of the next 4 and if they get some help move up like 3 spots. It is that crazy right now.

whatever....

Brutalis

Agreed... but in less harsh words maybe hahahaha

1Parker1
03-17-2008, 11:54 PM

:lol It's a sad day when Sequ agress with me....

whottt
Bottom line...when Pop wants to start winning games, he'll stop playing small down the stretch of games. Pop wants them with a chip on their shoulder and this team has no doubts it can win a championship.

I will however celebrate Finley grabbing some pine. :tu

timvp
Actually, Timvp, I'm curious on your "real" takes on Finley and Horry. Seeing as how Pop truly thinks both these players will be an integral part of the Spurs championship run this year, do you honestly trust and believe that they aren't done.

I'm sure Finley will eventually snap out of this shooting funk and score 20 some points one of these days and he may have a game or two that's good in the playoffs. But honestly, I think that's a longshot. Especially considering that those other games when his shot isn't falling, Finley just plain hurts the team. He can't box out and get a rebound to save his life, he's not exactly a good ball handler or playmaker, and his defense is absolutely atrocious.I'm not sure Pop truly thinks Finley is an answer. Once Barry comes back, Finley looks like the obvious choice in far as who is going to have their minutes cut. Pop is currently using Finley as the shooter to spread the floor ... which is a role that Barry should be able to handle if Finley can't.

Between Finley and Barry, the Spurs only need one of them to show up in the playoffs. If they both fizzle out, then the Spurs will be in trouble. But I think chances are that one of them will have enough juice come playoff time.

As for Horry, I've always agreed with you and thought his basketball IQ is off the charts and even if his shot isn't falling, it's invaluable to have in the 4th quarter of games. This season, Horry is making more boneheaded plays than a rookie. His defense is obviously slow and instead of making up for it with a heady, veteran play, all I see is him commit bad foul after bad foul after his man picks him off and leaves him in the dust. He's playing jumpy, sometimes overexcited and overaggressive, and he doesn't seem to compliment Duncan that well down low as in the past.

I say both players are done, and that's what worries me.Horry looked pretty good out there today. Yeah, he's had his worst regular season by far but he has a good tendency to put that behind him and play well in the playoffs. Horry's regular season stats never really are comparable to his playoff stats. He's one player who you can truly say the season starts anew for him once the bright lights start shining.

But yeah, if he's done, the Spurs have Oberto and Thomas. This year, for once, the Spurs can survive if Horry lays an egg. Both Oberto and Thomas are trustworthy enough to close out a playoff game. In the past, it's been Horry or bust. Even last year, Oberto didn't prove himself until the Jazz series.

Holt's Cat
The Spurs need rest, that's all.

Brutalis
False...the only one that matters to the Spurs is the one that eliminates them from the playoffs, and you won't see that game happen.
Bullshit. Pure BS.

bobbyjoe
03-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Ironically, this is a year you need HCA. Reason being that with all 8 teams in the West matched as evenly as they are, there is a much likelihood of any given series going 7 games, which is when the HCA actually comes into play...

Winning 3 straight series on the road is going to be tough for anyone. And it's actually 4 because BOS sure looks likely to come out of the East. Cassell might have just clinched them a ring.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Not me?..? (the hell you rambling about)

i dont know who has the sig or why im ramblin' . i just dont think its time to doubt the spurs yet . the loss hurt bad but i owe the spurs too many good times to doubt them .

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Not time for you guys to panic yet but losing to the Bulls could cause some more people to reach for the button :lol

Im assuming the Spurs will blowout the Bulls.

Brutalis
03-17-2008, 11:57 PM
You were clearly being facetious. Don't play coy. I've heard the same bullshit a million times from Spurs fans. It's the "go to" response whenever a Mavs fan interjects a legitimate opinion.

It's amazing what the Spurs have done over the past 10 years, but if you think their accomplishments make you personally more of an expert on "championship" basketball than any other hardcore NBA fan, you are sadly mistaken.
agreed. as well with most of your replies to timvp.

timvp is a cool dude too. He is usually right, I just think tonight has brought out a lot of ego and a much needed reality check.

timvp
03-17-2008, 11:58 PM

It's amazing what the Spurs have done over the past 10 years, but if you think their accomplishments make you personally more of an expert on "championship" basketball than any other hardcore NBA fan, you are sadly mistaken.So you refuse completely to point out which parts of the post you have a problem with?

whottt
Whott, are you Nostradamus now and can see in the future? How the heck do you know that the Rockets will get or keep the first seed?

I don't...but I hope they do.

Why wouldn't they? The Lakers are missing their starting PF and C...

And the Suns aren't worried about the regular season either.

Spurs need to win as many games as they can to get a top 4 seed. It's asking way too much for a Spurs team that's sub-par on the road this year especially, to win 3 straight playoff series on the road without HCA.

Bull...

It doesn't matter where this game is played. Playing on the road doesn't hurt them that much and being at home doesn't help them that much.

What's more, even if they get Houston and beat them in the first round, do you think they'll be able to beat a team like the Jazz, or a healthy Lakers team, or even the Mavs playing this way?

Yes, yes and yes. The only team that worries me is the Suns...the Celtics did, until tonight. I can see that that is the same KG playing for the Celts that played for the TWolves...and that's a good thing.

What makes you think they'll play this way then? Those games are different, you know it, I know it, why do you think they don't know it?

SequSpur
Ironically, this is a year you need HCA. Reason being that with all 8 teams in the West matched as evenly as they are, there is a much likelihood of any given series going 7 games, which is when the HCA actually comes into play...

Winning 3 straight series on the road is going to be tough for anyone. And it's actually 4 because BOS sure looks likely to come out of the East. Cassell might have just clinched them a ring.

Yep.. except for the Cassell comment...

Brutalis
2004 Playoffs vs LAL
i didnt think anyone would bring that up when i thought it earlier.

spurs fans have hit the wall tonight more so than ever since 99.

it's me
03-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Spurs will win it all, 8th or 1st seed … what’s the difference??? Go ask Dallas and Golden State… the point is to get in, and we all know they’re gonna get in, once there they will get it done, Los Spurs is a PLAYOFF team don’t ever forget that!

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Bottom line...when Pop wants to start winning games, he'll stop playing small down the stretch of games. Pop wants them with a chip on their shoulder and this team has no doubts it can win a championship.

I will however celebrate Finley grabbing some pine. :tu
Yeah because Pop didn't want them to win tonight or the last 3.

Shut it.

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Bullshit. Pure BS.

If you'd been around for all 4 championships you'd "get" it.

dbreiden83080
03-18-2008, 12:01 AM
whatever....

Oh that's insightful. :rolleyes

pad300
Between Finley and Barry, the Spurs only need one of them to show up in the playoffs. If they both fizzle out, then the Spurs will be in trouble. But I think chances are that one of them will have enough juice come playoff time.

Pop's gonna need an Ouija board and a hell of a lot of luck to guess which one will be hot in the 4th on any given night...

I would make the choice on effort and other contributions; either can heat up at any time, although Barry is much more consistent.

SequSpur

Shut it.

Exactly, Whottt acts like fuckin Pop is throwing games to make the Spurs hungrier... What a got damn homer.

Ronaldo McDonald
I agree 100% with the OP.

Nothing can shake my confidence in this team besides a major injury to any of the big three. We have the same players as last year (or, we will btt Barry gets back), and everyone knows what happened last year.

I BELIEVE

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh that's insightful. :rolleyes

it fits perfect for you.

DubMcDub

Jesus, now you're pulling this shit too, and on another Spurs fan?

"I know more about basketball/winning championships than you" is absolutely the lamest, most arrogant message board retort. If the conversations are going to denigrate to that, there's no point in even having the forum in the first place.

Brutalis
i dont know who has the sig or why im ramblin' . i just dont think its time to doubt the spurs yet . the loss hurt bad but i owe the spurs too many good times to doubt them .
Okay that's homer.

Face the facts. Spurs are bleeding out faster than we have in any other contending year. Even when we did bleed. (and we did)

Doubting them is natural.

I bet if you asked Pop right now he'd say something like. "Hell yeah, I would."

Reality check.

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:03 AM

Shut it.

Pop's not that worried about...

You see he's been here 4 times before, and playing perfect down the stretch of the regular season didn't do shit to help his team repeat 3 other times.

Pop knows it.
Duncan knows it.
Tony knows it.
Manu knows it.
Horry knows it.

You can't not know that after experiencing it 3 times....no matter how hard you try.

L.I.T
03-18-2008, 12:03 AM

"I know more about basketball/winning championships than you" is absolutely the lamest, most arrogant message board retort one can come up with.

My announcing crew is better than your announcing crew?

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I have sister, and I got it back when you was still begging for it.

Get over yourself. Many of you regs older than me in this thread are flaring an ego uglier than the Mavs green alternate uniforms. Stop.

Pop wanted the win. It was a must win. Especially to Tim and company. Thinking another other than that, during this bizzaro season, is ludacris.

Reality check.

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Bullshit. That wasn't a "competition," that was objective analysis based on facts.

Nice strawman. :rolleyes

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:06 AM

"I know more about basketball/winning championships than you" is absolutely the lamest, most arrogant message board retort. If the conversations are going to denigrate to that, there's no point in even having the forum in the first place.Not to defend whottt but I'd say Spurs fans have the advantage in trying to predict which Spurs teams are contenders and which Sprus teams will be exposed in the playoffs. As Spurs fans, we've seen many examples of both.

Saying Spurs fans aren't qualified to offer up their opinion on this subject based on four successes and many more failures is a bit arrogant on your part. We've all seen this movie many times ... we are just trying to figure out how this one will end.

Brutalis
Exactly, Whottt acts like fuckin Pop is throwing games to make the Spurs hungrier... What a got damn homer.
That's sad because these 'vets' are pulling out soft cuddly pillows to grasp and need to face the damn facts that the Spurs are playing like ass and need to get shit right. And it starts with Pop playing a damn rotation not involving Finley or Oberto starting.

ShoogarBear

:smokin:lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
Okay that's homer.

Face the facts. Spurs are bleeding out faster than we have in any other contending year. Even when we did bleed. (and we did)

Doubting them is natural.

I bet if you asked Pop right now he'd say something like. "Hell yeah, I would."

Reality check.

we disagree. its cool man :smokin

ploto
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Problem is-- the opposition simply got better. What was good enough last year may not be good enough this year.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Pop's not that worried about...

You see he's been here 4 times before, and playing perfect down the stretch of the regular season didn't do shit to help his team repeat 3 other times.

Pop knows it.
Duncan knows it.
Tony knows it.
Manu knows it.
Horry knows it.

You can't not know that after experiencing it 3 times....no matter how hard you try.
Hey you forget to finish your first sentence, it stopped at about....

Have you watched Championship DVDs of the Spurs? Listen to how Manu talks and Tony and them. They doubt. They worry.

Why?

Because SA plays with heart and they play personal. Every game is a must win and they play for glory, not money or ESPN highlights.

You should know that man.

SequSpur
Spurs lose and a topic like Spurs are fine is okay.

Manu takes 2 ill advised shots in the last minute and his shit smells like roses around here.

Nice.

Brutalis
we disagree. its cool man :smokin
:smokin with ya then

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
The Spurs need rest, that's all

Problems is-- the opposition simply got better.

now i just need a post about the "iffy" officiating

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Not to defend whottt but I'd say Spurs fans have the advantage in trying to predict which Spurs teams are contenders and which Sprus teams will be exposed in the playoffs. As Spurs fans, we've seen many examples of both.

Saying Spurs fans aren't qualified to offer up their opinion on this subject based on four successes and many more failures is a bit arrogant on your part. We've all seen this movie many times ... we are just trying to figure out how this one will end.
He didn't say that.

The hell????

DubMcDub
Not to defend whottt but I'd say Spurs fans have the advantage in trying to predict which Spurs teams are contenders and which Sprus teams will be exposed in the playoffs. As Spurs fans, we've seen many examples of both.

Saying Spurs fans aren't qualified to offer up their opinion on this subject based on four successes and many more failures is a bit arrogant on your part. We've all seen this play many times ... we are just trying to figure out how this one will end.

You're more than qualified. I absolutely never said otherwise. Trust me, I support your right to voice your opinion on here just as much as anyone.

My point is that I'm just as qualified, as is anyone else who has watched the last decade of playoffs in their entirety.

I think you are being overly optimistic. Your initial post was infused with a tone of trying to convince yourself that things will be just fine.

As whott did, your only retort to my assertion there was that I "didn't know" championship ball cause I'm a Mavs fan. Sorry dude, but that's bullshit. I probably know just as much about the Spurs as you do, and that's not a knock on your knowledge, but a reminder that there are plenty of non-Spurs fans who know the Spurs, and championship basketball, very well.

whottt
Spurs lose and a topic like Spurs are fine is okay.

Is the season over?

Are you saying they won't make the playoffs?

Manu takes 2 ill advised shots in the last minute and his shit smells like roses around here.

It's Manu...ever see him play?

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:11 AM
:lmao

Why laugh at that? I know you on here, you're more intelligent than that. That was a nonsensical strawman-esque retort on his part. Come on.

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Hey you forget to finish your first sentence, it stopped at about....

Have you watched Championship DVDs of the Spurs? Listen to how Manu talks and Tony and them. They doubt. They worry.

Why?

Because SA plays with heart and they play personal. Every game is a must win and they play for glory, not money or ESPN highlights.

You should know that man.

They also didn't repeat...it's different this time.

This is the first team to return basically it's entire championship.

Brutalis
This thread is the life and blood of Spurstalk and it's an instant classic and in my favs now because we have hit a new high and low in all due respect with some folks today.

dbreiden83080
it fits perfect for you.

LOL, yeah you say the same tired ass shit to anyone who calls you out on your stupid bullshit. You must have the record for "Most useless negative threads in the history of the board" 17,000 posts and about 10 of them were worth reading. :rolleyes

SequSpur
It's Manu...ever see him play?

Yeah 30 pts, a loss and Parker and Duncan wondering if he remembers how the spurs won in 2007.

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Getting it is not being too excited about or down on the Spurs' postseason prospects during the regular season.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
LOL, yeah you say the same tired ass shit to anyone who calls you out on your stupid bullshit. You must have the record for "Most useless negative threads in the history of the board" 17,000 posts and about 10 of them were worth reading. :rolleyes

thanks, I appreciate that. I didn't realize you were keeping track. Can you tell me which 10?

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:14 AM
You're more than qualified. I absolutely never said otherwise. Trust me, I support your right to voice your opinion on here just as much as anyone.

My point is that I'm just as qualified, as is anyone else who has watched the last decade of playoffs in their entirety.

I think you are being overly optimistic. Your initial post was infused with a tone of trying to convince yourself that things will be just fine.

As whott did, your only retort to my assertion there was that I "didn't know" championship ball cause I'm a Mavs fan. Sorry dude, but that's bullshit. I probably know just as much about the Spurs as you do, and that's not a knock on your knowledge, but a reminder that there are plenty of non-Spurs fans who know the Spurs, and championship basketball, very well.For the sixth time, I'll ask you to point out which lines in the original post you are speaking about specifically. Quit Dirking* around and answer the question.

Thanks.

* utilized to hopefully get a response this time

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Brutalis...after you get laid for the first time you'll understand better...there's nothing like the first time.

Basically all previous Spurs championship teams have been rebuilt and started over from scratch, even Pop did this at the philosophical level...they performed similarly in the regular season, but they were more injury prone and underperformed in the post season.

For once, they are actually playing like a team that remembers it won a championship last season...these games just aren't as big of a deal as they were last season.

And it's not too hard to look at the past performance of repeat champions and see similar performances.

Fact.

For once this team remembers it's a champion...and that'll show up when it comes time to win the championship.

And no matter how much you meltdown over it...this aint that time.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Why laugh at that? I know you on here, you're more intelligent than that. That was a nonsensical strawman-esque retort. Come on.
Don't get me wrong. I will probably argue you in any other thread.

But you have owned the table in this thread and you got props for that from me. I have learned that more Spur fans than I thought, have some kind of arrogant.. chip on the shoulder.. invincible thing going on and it pisses me off to no end.

Maybe us getting owned by the good teams this year, the rotations, never ending problems every year in rebounding the damn ball.. maybe this is the scared, punch to the face SA needs to wake up.

We can be beat, and we will be beat. Reality check for the 23094928374th time folks.

I believe. But at the same time deal with the facts people.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:16 AM
They also didn't repeat...it's different this time.

This is the first team to return basically it's entire championship.
That has nothing to do with nothing.

It's 2008, March 18th here. Live for today, not tomorrow, not last year.

Like beating a dead horse saying, or, apples and oranges..

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-18-2008, 12:16 AM
This thread is the life and blood of Spurstalk and it's an instant classic and in my favs now because we have hit a new high and low in all due respect with some folks today.

that was pretty clever. i always have and always will back the Spurs till' they lose in the playoffs or win another trophy

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:17 AM

But you have owned the table in this thread and you got props for that from me. I have learned that more Spur fans than I thought, have some kind of arrogant.. chip on the shoulder.. invincible thing going on and it pisses me off to no end.

Maybe us getting owned by the good teams this year, the rotations, never ending problems every year in rebounding the damn ball.. maybe this is the scared, punch to the face SA needs to wake up.

We can be beat, and we will be beat. Reality check for the 23094928374th time folks.

I believe. But at the same time deal with the facts people.

I'll go ahead and apologize to you for my remarks earlier in the other thread. You're an alright guy.

I'm sure timvp and whottt are too, but you're absolutely right that this whole thing reeks of unbridled arrogance.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't think anyone in the Spurs organization is happy and content with what's going on right now whottt. You might, but I am quite fuckin sure they aren't. So keep on with your optimism if that makes you happy. this shit don't work for me.

dbreiden83080
03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't think anyone in the Spurs organization is happy and content with what's going on right now whottt. You might, but I am quite fuckin sure they aren't. So keep on with your optimism if that makes you happy. this shit don't work for me.

Well what does work for you??? Believing they are dead when the season is not over yet. If the playoffs started today they are in, why give up when they still have a chance???

ShoogarBear
03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Why laugh at that? Because it was funny?

I know you on here, you're more intelligent than that. That was a nonsensical strawman-esque retort on his part. Come on.I don't find many parts of Principia Mathematica very funny.

And it wasn't "nonsensical strawman-esque", it was more "ad hominem Groucho-esque".

ploto
03-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Maybe Beno was right after all....

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Because it was funny?

I don't find many parts of Principia Mathematica very funny.

And it wasn't "nonsensical strawman-esque", it was more "ad hominem Groucho-esque".

Agree to disagree. It had nothing to do with anything and didn't accurately reflect the point of my position. That's a strawman.

Like the reference, but just don't see why you'd think that was funny.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Brutalis...after you get laid for the first time you'll understand better...there's nothing like the first time.

Don't even get me fucking started on that shit. I been through too much in that department at only 23 and I am lucky no babies or marriage came out of it. Leave it alone.

Basically all previous Spurs championship teams have been rebuilt and started over from scratch, even Pop did this at the philosophical level...they performed similarly in the regular season, but they were more injury prone and underperformed in the post season.

Not from scratch. But I see the point you ballooned there.

For once, they are actually playing like a team that remembers it won a championship last season...these games just aren't as big of a deal as they were last season.

They're playing like a team? Really.?.

And it's not too hard to look at the past performance of repeat champions and see similar performances.

Similar to,.. this year? No. That's obvious. This team has not looked like crap this year except for the 17-3 start. Take away that start and we are missing the playoffs... ever think about that kinda stuff?

Fact.

Or fiction.

For once this team remembers it's a champion...and that'll show up when it comes time to win the championship.

And no matter how much you meltdown over it...this aint that time.

It remembers it's a champion, or has yet to remember it's a champion?

No meltdown. I love and believe. But I am a fucking realist. Look at the facts. Stats don't lie. This ain't that time either.

L.I.T
03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Why laugh at that? I know you on here, you're more intelligent than that. That was a nonsensical strawman-esque retort on his part. Come on.

My mistake, I didn't know my post referenced The Wicker Man. Must be one of those cultural differences I don't get.

If you didn't catch the innocuous joke, I'll remember to use a " :donkey " or a " :drunk " for your edification.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Well what does work for you??? Believing they are dead when the season is not over yet. If the playoffs started today they are in, why give up when they still have a chance???

Did I say they were dead? or did I say they fuckin lost tonight? I think the latter brotha...

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:24 AM

But you have owned the table in this thread and you got props for that from me. I have learned that more Spur fans than I thought, have some kind of arrogant.. chip on the shoulder.. invincible thing going on and it pisses me off to no end.ROFL. I've asked the guy a very simple question multiple times and he refuses to answer it. How is that owning a thread? All he's done is say just because he's a Mav Fan doesn't mean he's oblivious to championship basketball. Fair take but that doesn't allow someone to cherry pick and just ignore repeated follow up attempts by just repeating what he's said in the thread a dozen times.

And I don't really see much arrogance coming from Spurs fans in this thread. Arrogance would be saying "the Spurs are going to win because we're the Spurs and the NBA is our b1tch!". Instead, by comparing past success and failures, some Spurs fans have decided that this team has a chance while other Spurs fans have thrown in the towel.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Why are people apologizing and fukin crying in here tonight? Grab your sack and bring it, damn, what a bunch of wusses....

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:26 AM
I'll go ahead and apologize to you for my remarks earlier in the other thread. You're an alright guy.

I'm sure timvp and whottt are too, but you're absolutely right that this whole thing reeks of unbridled arrogance.
Don't even remember what the other thread was I mainly reply to posts and don't care much for the name.

whottt is stupid ignore him. timvp is the man around here. He has so much pride and loves the Spurs probably more than Kori haha. Sometimes people just don;t see when they're being whatever way, and that don't make them wrong. It might not be healthy however. Just little less ego and a little more beer, or smoke. Whichever works.

ShoogarBear
Instead, by comparing past success and failures, some Spurs fans have decided that this team has a chance while other Spurs fans have thrown in the towel.Now that is arrogance.

If you don't agree that "The Spurs are Fine", then you've thrown in the towel?

L.I.T
Because it was funny?

I don't find many parts of Principia Mathematica very funny.

Damn, here I was shooting for WC Fields.

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I am chicken little personified.

timvp
Now that is arrogance.

If you don't agree that "The Spurs are Fine", then you've thrown in the towel?Reboot your sarcasm detector.

SequSpur
Now that is arrogance.

If you don't agree that "The Spurs are Fine", then you've thrown in the towel?

Right now the Spurs aren't fine. They fuckin suck ass. Does that spell it for some of you?

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:28 AM
ROFL. I've asked the guy a very simple question multiple times and he refuses to answer it.

Again, you didn't ask me shit. You "asked" me with a bullshit, sarcasm-laden remark referencing the Mavs inability to win a title. You went to the same old tired, trite "argument" that has infected these boards regarding Mavs fans since around 2003 or so. Then you tried to play it off like you were actually asking for my opinion.

Had you asked me legitimately, I would have gladly answered. As it stands, I'm not going to do a 180 now and suddenly give you a legitimate response after you were so dismissive.

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Again, you didn't ask me shit. You "asked" me with a bullshit, sarcasm-laden remark referencing the Mavs inability to win a title. You went to the same old tired, trite "argument" that has infected these boards regarding Mavs fans since around 2003 or so. Then you tried to play it off like you were actually asking for my opinion.

Had you asked me legitimately, I would have gladly answered. As it stands, I'm not going to do a 180 now and suddenly give you a legitimate response after you were so dismissive.:cry You are posting on a Spurs board and you can't take some friendly ribbing? And then you go emo on me and won't answer a question.

Classic.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by SequSpur
I am chicken little personified.

Oh, now I am chicken little? Who locked my Ginobili lost the game topic?

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 12:31 AM
RubADub's just pissed that he shows up after a loss (per usual) and not every Spurs fan is bailing. So we get the lecture about lacking objectivity as sports fans and what not.

:jack

dbreiden83080
03-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh, now I am chicken little? Who locked my Ginobili lost the game topic?

He should ban you from ever starting topics altogether. Can't you just whine and cry in the game threads??? You only start threads because you want the attention.

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
:cry You are posting on a Spurs board and you can't take some friendly ribbing? And then you go emo on me and won't answer a question.

Classic.

Oh, that's rich. Go "emo" on you? Whatever you say, dude.

I'm all about the "friendly ribbing"--it's part of why I'm here. You gave no indication whatsoever that you were doing anything other than echoing the same sentiment that's been repeated here ad nauseum. As I said, it's trite.

And I'm still not buying it. You may well be "the man" around here, and I'm sure you're a respectable guy, but I think you were purposefully dismissive because I called you out for being overly optimistic, and now you're backtracking.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:34 AM
He should ban you from ever starting topics altogether. Can't you just whine and cry in the game threads??? You only start threads because you want the attention.

Well, actually you're right, I need attention, therefore, I start topics on Spurstalk.com. It really helps me make it through the day.

timvp
Oh, now I am chicken little? Who locked my Ginobili lost the game topic?I haven't ventured out of this thread. Wasn't me.

DubMcDub
RubADub's just pissed that he shows up after a loss (per usual) and not every Spurs fan is bailing. So we get the lecture about lacking objectivity as sports fans and what not.

:jack

I've been here after Spurs wins, and, in fact, Mavs losses too. Try again.

gospursgojas
The title of this thread is what is wrong with the Spurs.

They aren't fine.

They need to figure that out, and start playing like they have something to prove.

ShoogarBear
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh, now I am chicken little? Who locked my Ginobili lost the game topic?I think it was Jimcs50.

dbreiden83080
03-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, actually you're right, I need attention, therefore, I start topics on Spurstalk.com. It really helps me make it through the day.

Try a little of this :drunk might keep you away from the computer.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
ROFL. I've asked the guy a very simple question multiple times and he refuses to answer it. How is that owning a thread? All he's done is say just because he's a Mav Fan doesn't mean he's oblivious to championship basketball. Fair take but that doesn't allow someone to cherry pick and just ignore repeated follow up attempts by just repeating what he's said in the thread a dozen times.

And I don't really see much arrogance coming from Spurs fans in this thread. Arrogance would be saying "the Spurs are going to win because we're the Spurs and the NBA is our b1tch!". Instead, by comparing past success and failures, some Spurs fans have decided that this team has a chance while other Spurs fans have thrown in the towel.

Maybe he's intimidated or doesn't want to get banned timvp? Seriously you have a bully demeanor being a man with power and presence of popularity here and he is aware of that.

Not saying that's exactly why but what I am saying is you provoke a fight or an argument over what he believes he sees. And he's right, that's the thing. The kid is fucking right and you shouldn't shave him over it just because of tonight, or circumstances, or your mood, or whatever.

We all have flaws as regulars here and at times they are called out. People called me out recently, I handled it alright I think and moved on. TPark got called out for his disowning the team. I can go on but that's my point. You are seldom wrong or take right of it. You have to take good with the bad, I learned that being here, and so did um, almost every other reg. So should you. Step back, re-read his replies and the convo and try to relate in a different way that he isn't trying to say he knows more or any homer stuff like we suck or anything. He's being legit and might feel threatened by your position.

Sometime I think we all need to relax and give more credit than we'd like. Although I'm sure that will never happen.

And you're just now commenting to me when I've directed several posts to you. And about something to someone else even. So what gives man? I lurk all over this forum and only post in mainly 3 areas, I don't understand why you ducked shoog earlier either.Just understand not only can people believe, they can vent and comment and flat out diss the Spurs for all the right reasons. They are playing sickly, and Pop is coaching flat in his rotations and starters.

I understand we have had injuries, new players, and all that. But so does everyone else. We get called out then we answer.

As I stated before you have shown as well as other this egotistical view that we are better than other fans or teams when we are not. This is not last year, this is not 4 titles speaking. This is the 07-08 Spurs and I feel like it trickles down to the fans even, not just the franchise who needs to get with it for a change.

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh, that's rich. Go "emo" on you? Whatever you say, dude.

I'm all about the "friendly ribbing"--it's part of why I'm here. You gave no indication whatsoever that you were doing anything other than echoing the same sentiment that's been repeated here ad nauseum. As I said, it's trite.

And I'm still not buying it. You may well be "the man" around here, and I'm sure you're a respectable guy, but I think you were purposefully dismissive because I called you out for being overly optimistic, and now you're backtracking.How am I backtracking by asking you which specific parts of the post you disagree with? Throwing a blanket statement at an entire post and then refusing to answer follow up questions is rather arrogant.

Yeah, and either you are acting emo and now your feelings are hurt and you don't want to answer the question ... or you don't want to answer the question because you can't.

If me poking fun at the Mavs made you want to pick up your basketball and go home, that's fine. But staying here whining about a comment seven pages ago when you have a dozen posts since then is pretty lame.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Why are people apologizing and fukin crying in here tonight? Grab your sack and bring it, damn, what a bunch of wusses....
Yup.

I'm learning we don't deal with hard times very well anymore. Too many excuses.

ps- we fight everywhere else outside this thread, that dont change :devil

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:40 AM
:cry You are posting on a Spurs board and you can't take some friendly ribbing? And then you go emo on me and won't answer a question.

Classic.
That there is a weaksauce reply. Not trying to get banned but it's clear not to only me either.

peacemaker885
03-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Just finished watching this on DVR. Sad, frustrated all sorts of emotions. Thanks timvp. I needed this!

SequSpur
03-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I think it was Jimcs50.

What a dick. :santahat

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Maybe he's intimidated or doesn't want to get banned timvp? Seriously you have a bully demeanor being a man with power and presence of popularity here and he is aware of that. :lmao I can't even remember the last time I banned someone. I'm not even sure I know how to ban someone. And I've never banned someone for anything said about me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever banned anyone . . .

I'll read the rest later but pulling out the ban card was pretty weak.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Maybe he's intimidated or doesn't want to get banned timvp? Seriously you have a bully demeanor being a man with power and presence of popularity here and he is aware of that.

Not saying that's exactly why but what I am saying is you provoke a fight or an argument over what he believes he sees. And he's right, that's the thing. The kid is fucking right and you shouldn't shave him over it just because of tonight, or circumstances, or your mood, or whatever.

We all have flaws as regulars here and at times they are called out. People called me out recently, I handled it alright I think and moved on. TPark got called out for his disowning the team. I can go on but that's my point. You are seldom wrong or take right of it. You have to take good with the bad, I learned that being here, and so did um, almost every other reg. So should you. Step back, re-read his replies and the convo and try to relate in a different way that he isn't trying to say he knows more or any homer stuff like we suck or anything. He's being legit and might feel threatened by your position.

Sometime I think we all need to relax and give more credit than we'd like. Although I'm sure that will never happen.

And you're just now commenting to me when I've directed several posts to you. And about something to someone else even. So what gives man? I lurk all over this forum and only post in mainly 3 areas, I don't understand why you ducked shoog earlier either.Just understand not only can people believe, they can vent and comment and flat out diss the Spurs for all the right reasons. They are playing sickly, and Pop is coaching flat in his rotations and starters.

I understand we have had injuries, new players, and all that. But so does everyone else. We get called out then we answer.

As I stated before you have shown as well as other this egotistical view that we are better than other fans or teams when we are not. This is not last year, this is not 4 titles speaking. This is the 07-08 Spurs and I feel like it trickles down to the fans even, not just the franchise who needs to get with it for a change.

i havent seen ego tonight. just positive reinforcement. i think you're the one thats pissed about somethin else in yer life

Ladyspur .
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Somebody get me a banstick!!! :elephant

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Don't troll and don't get banned. RubADub isn't exactly at risk of that. Unless it is also posting under 'Princess Pimp.'

Brutalis
:lmao I can't even remember the last time I banned someone. I'm not even sure I know how to ban someone. And I've never banned someone for anything said about me. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever banned anyone . . .

I'll read the rest later but pulling out the ban card was pretty weak.
I don't know that. How am I supposed to know that? Have I ever directly spoken to you, and you me, more than 5 times in three years? No.. I don't know how you operate and pay little attention other than your game review threads I read.

You are pulling feathers on a bird that has billions of them. If this is how you always are in heated discussions, the only thing weak is you.

I'm not trying to pick a fight either. I'm trying to justify how you're reacting.

And speaking of cards, pulling that emo card was what is seriously weak. Might as well say he's ugly or his mom's fat LJ.

DubMcDub
How am I backtracking by asking you which specific parts of the post you disagree with? Throwing a blanket statement at an entire post and then refusing to answer follow up questions is rather arrogant.

Yeah, and either you are acting emo and now your feelings are hurt and you don't want to answer the question ... or you don't want to answer the question because you can't.

If me poking fun at the Mavs made you want to pick up your basketball and go home, that's fine. But staying here whining about a comment seven pages ago when you have a dozen posts since then is pretty lame.

You're backtracking because your natural inclination was to retort that I didn't know what I was talking about, and now you're trying to play it off like you were "just kidding."

And you continue to be dismissive by assuming I'm either a) deeply hurt or b) unable to respond. As much as your ever-growing ego would enjoy the prospect of me being greatly saddened by your words, or of me lacking the prowess to respond to your purportedly "objective" analysis, it's simply not the case.

I've continued to post in this thread because you've continued to respond to me. I enjoy the dialogue (contrary to what you have assumed, I'm certainly not listening to Good Charlotte and slitting my wrists as of yet).

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Brutalis...

1994 - Rockets win 58 games championship.
1995 - Rockets win 47 games repeat.

1996 - Bulls win 72 games Championship.
1997 - Bulls win 69 games Repeat.

1998 Spurs - 35 something games repeat.
1990 Spurs won 55 games no repeat.

2000 Lakers - 67 games championship.
2001 Lakers - 56 games repeat

2003 - Spurs 60 games championship.
2004 Spurs - 57 wins...but they finished the season as the hottest team in the league. No repeat.

2005 Spurs - 58 wins championship
2006 Spurs - 63 wins for a team record. Beaten by the Mavs. No repeat.

2004 Pistons - 54 wins championship
2005 Pistons - 54 wins no championship.

100% of the championship teams since 1994 that won as many games or better in the regular season, failed to repeat.

Every single one of the teams that won fewer repeated. With the exception of the 04 Spurs...who finished the season as the hottest team in the league.

Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about...history is clearly on my side on this.

You're the guy for every one of those teams saying they wouldn't repeat...you're the guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

But go watch the DVD again..maybe that'll help.

Being a champion is different...and this is the first Spurs team that has actually played like it remembers it was the champion. Like it's gotten laid before...

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
i havent seen ego tonight. just positive reinforcement. i think you're the one thats pissed about somethin else in yer life
Trust me I am. (about pissed at something in life)

But I keep that there, and this here. Like when I play ball, I am an asshole. But, once we leave that court. I'm the best friend you could have.

Arrogance, ego's and positive reinforcement have a thin line. The bottom line, is however, facing the facts and dealing with the down time as well as the good times. And we as Spurs fans and on Spurstalk.com are weak as hell in the down times.

As professional and responsible, just flat out human our franchise runs. Down to earth... no bullshit.. just team.. etc etc etc... you'd think our fans had more nuts than we show sitting in a tree.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Trust me I am. (about pissed at something in life)

But I keep that there, and this here. Like when I play ball, I am an asshole. But, once we leave that court. I'm the best friend you could have.

Arrogance, ego's and positive reinforcement have a thin line. The bottom line, is however, facing the facts and dealing with the down time as well as the good times. And we as Spurs fans and on Spurstalk.com are weak as hell in the down times.

As professional and responsible, just flat out human our franchise runs. Down to earth... no bullshit.. just team.. etc etc etc... you'd think our fans had more nuts than we show sitting in a tree.

fair enough. as long as you can see why i have faith in the sporks

duncan228
03-18-2008, 12:51 AM

Kori is saving it up for her epic 55,555 post.

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Brutalis...

Bulls:
1992- The Bulls win 67 games and the NBA championship.
1993 - Bulls win 57 games and repeat.

1994 - Rockets win 58 games championship.
1995 - Rockets win 47 games repeat.

1996 - Bulls win 72 games Championship.
1997 - Bulls win 69 games Repeat.

1998 Spurs - 35 something games repeat.
1990 Spurs won 55 games no repeat.

2000 Lakers - 67 games championship.
2001 Lakers - 56 games repeat

2003 - Spurs 60 games championship.
2004 Spurs - 57 wins...but they finished the season as the hottest team in the league. No repeat.

2005 Spurs - 58 wins championship
2006 Spurs - 63 wins for a team record. Beaten by the Mavs. No repeat.

2004 Pistons - 54 wins championship
2005 Pistons - 54 wins no championship.

100% of the championship teams since 1992 that won as many games or better in the regular season, failed to repeat.

Every single one of the teams that won fewer repeated. With the exception of the 04 Spurs...who finished the season as the hottest team in the league.

Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about...history is clearly on my side on this.

You're the guy for every one of those teams saying they wouldn't repeat...you're the guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Being a champion is different...and this is the first team that has actually played like it remembers it was the champion.

You left out 2002, when the Lakers won more games than 2001 and did, in fact, win another title.

Also, your analysis is weak because it ignores the fact that this year is unlike any other in terms of the parity of the conference.

Admidave50
03-18-2008, 12:52 AM
some Spurs fans should be ashamed to abandon the ship that quickly!

Brutalis
100% of the championship teams since 1992 that won as many games or better in the regular season, failed to repeat.

You're the guy for everyone of those teams saying they wouldn't repeat...you're the guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

What point of mine are you countering to begin with?

Fuck last year, much less 20 years ago fellow Spurs brother. Times, trials and defeats and wins and blah blah are different each year.

All I know to say is you went on about the game was not a must win, Pop didn't care to lose it. And all that crap. Who are you kidding with that? And what care do I have about your history lessons when it relates nothing to your own statements I reply to? Enjoy the damn dvd.

Admidave50
you should bump the game thread in a few months, most of the people here have gone insane!!

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:54 AM
You left out 2002, when the Lakers won more games than 2001 and did, in fact, win another title.

Was a 3 peat team. Not a repeat.

We'll look at the 3 peaters when it's time to 3 peat.

I also left out a 3rd bulls team that won less and 3 peated.

Also, your analysis is weak because it ignores the fact that this year is unlike any other in terms of the parity of the conference.

My analysis is nearly 90% dead on going back nearly 15 years.

You OTOH...don't even know what it's like to win a championship, so how could you possibly have my perspective on it...

I've got the perspective, I've got the facts...you OTOH, have absolutely nothing except specualtion.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:54 AM
fair enough. as long as you can see why i have faith in the sporks
I have the same faith but it does not go protected. Just mean I will provoke any crap my team is doing and be aware of it. Not saying you do this- but I don't reach for my blanket when we lose. I figure out why, vent on it and hope we come out on top next time. Trying to face the cereal in my bowl is all.

whottt
03-18-2008, 12:55 AM
What point of mine are you countering to begin with?

Fuck last year, much less 20 years ago fellow Spurs brother. Times, trials and defeats and wins and blah blah are different each year.

All I know to say is you went on about the game was not a must win, Pop didn't care to lose it. And all that crap. Who are you kidding with that? And what care do I have about your history lessons when it relates nothing to your own statements I reply to? Enjoy the damn dvd.

You're melting down over the regular season.

Season isn't over...it hasn't even begun.

One of us is right...and one of us is overeacting.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:55 AM

Wow I didn't even catch that great point and one fatal error by whottt.

:reading :reading :reading :reading

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM

My analysis is nearly 90% dead on going back over 15 years.

You OTOH...don't even know what it's like to win a championship, so how could you possibly have my perspective on it...

I've got the perspective, I've got the facts...you OTOH, have abosolutely nothing except specualtion.

:lol That's just so fucking unreal. Really. I'm impressed.

Tell me, do you know what it's like to win a championship? Which position did you play? Which title teams were you on? Oh my god, were you David Robinson?!?!!?!?

Or were you just talking about watching it on TV? Believe it or not, I did that too. Guess we're in the same boat after all.

timvp
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Not saying that's exactly why but what I am saying is you provoke a fight or an argument over what he believes he sees. And he's right, that's the thing. The kid is fucking right and you shouldn't shave him over it just because of tonight, or circumstances, or your mood, or whatever.If you think he's right, that's fine. I agree with what he said, actually. Fans of basketball have a right and the wherewithal to give their opinion on which teams can win championships.

So if I agree with him and you agree with him, that means you agree with me. I seriously don't understand what you are getting at. I ribbed him for being a Mav Fan and he got upset. I can understand that. I'll apologize if that's what he wants.

But I don't really understand what you are saying he's right about ... because I've already said he's right.

We all have flaws as regulars here and at times they are called out. People called me out recently, I handled it alright I think and moved on. TPark got called out for his disowning the team. I can go on but that's my point. You are seldom wrong or take right of it. You have to take good with the bad, I learned that being here, and so did um, almost every other reg. So should you. Step back, re-read his replies and the convo and try to relate in a different way that he isn't trying to say he knows more or any homer stuff like we suck or anything. He's being legit and might feel threatened by your position. I don't mind being wrong. I don't mind being flamed. If I minded being flamed, I would have dusted off my ban button and banned whottt a long time ago. That guy flames me every chance he has.

Regarding the Mav Fan, the only thing that got him pizzed was me calling him a Mav Fan in a manner that he perceived as facetious. But then again, if every Spurs fan got flamed for flaming a Mav Fan, SpursTalk would be an empty place.

And you're just now commenting to me when I've directed several posts to you. And about something to someone else even. So what gives man?I wasn't sure what angle you were coming from. You agreeing with something I've already agreed with shouldn't really warrant a response from me.

As I stated before you have shown as well as other this egotistical view that we are better than other fans or teams when we are not. This is not last year, this is not 4 titles speaking. This is the 07-08 Spurs and I feel like it trickles down to the fans even, not just the franchise who needs to get with it for a change.The beautiful thing about the NBA is we'll see if I was being too positive about the Spurs at the moment. If they continue swirling and end up crashing and burning, then yeah I was wrong. I'll admit it. I just honestly don't see it that way. If others do, that's fine. If others think the Spurs could possibly win it but don't agree with my outlook, that's also fine.

We'll find out in the end what this four-game losing streak truly meant.

Findog
03-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Spurs fans are typically more knowledgeable about the Spurs than fans of other teams, because they watch all the games and follow them more closely, just as Mavs fans tend to have more insight into the Mavs than other fans, etc...but you don't have to have a certain team affiliation to understand what works in the playoffs and what doesn't. The Spurs will probably get in to the playoffs and from there they have as good a chance as anybody.

I would defer to you or any other hardcore Spurs fan because you've seen about 45 more Spurs games this year than I have, but you don't necessarily have some sort of insight about what it takes to win a title than a fan of another team.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:58 AM
You're melting down over the regular season.

Season isn't over...it hasn't even begun.

One of us is right...and one of us is overeacting.
Hey lurkers. Yeah you reading this right now reading every page in this thread but not posting.

Am I melting down or freaking out or jumping ship or killing myself over this?

Maybe we'll get an answer. But no, I have done none of the above. Learn how to debate without reaching in the bottom of the sack for an answer. To run with me, and this is ego for ya, you must bring it. Not that weak you're ugly, you're melting down, wishy washy bullshit.

Give me something I can use and I will run with ya all night whottt. Pick up your slack.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 12:59 AM

I also left out a 3rd bulls team that won less and 3 peated.

Why should it matter?

A repeat is a repeat of the last year no matter how you want to phrase or look at it?..

Reality check.

whottt
03-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Wow I didn't even catch that great point and one fatal error by whottt.

:reading :reading :reading :reading

I left out the Bulls team that won less and 3 peated.

3 peat is a different animal...those teams had two seasons of going the distance.

But every first time champion tha repeated won less...not more. Won less.

100% of the first time champions(and I mean this in the sense of repeating) that repeated, won less. They were not as good in the regular season...

100% of them.

100% of them.

I have just a little evidence on my side VS your stance of the wetness of your vag...

Ed Helicopter Jones

Tell me, do you know what it's like to win a championship? Which position did you play? Which title teams were you on? Oh my god, were you David Robinson?!?!!?!?

Or were you just talking about watching it on TV? Believe it or not, I did that too. Guess we're in the same boat after all.

I've got a rather impressive trophy case myself. My ninth grade team kicked some serious azz!!!!

There's a pretty neat bowling trophy in there too. Of course, if you read the fine print it says "participant", but that's just code for "ultimate winning guy".

E20
San Antonio Spurs FTW in the PO's.

L.I.T
03-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey lurkers. Yeah you reading this right now reading every page in this thread but not posting.

Am I melting down or freaking out or jumping ship or killing myself over this?

Maybe we'll get an answer. But no, I have done none of the above. Learn how to debate without reaching in the bottom of the sack for an answer. To run with me, and this is ego for ya, you must bring it. Not that weak you're ugly, you're melting down, wishy washy bullshit.

Give me something I can use and I will run with ya all night whottt. Pick up your slack.

Actually, yeah. The way it appears is that you're lashing out at anyone who doesn't share you odd "I believe in this team, but they suck so I'm gonna have it both ways" rhetoric.

Flame me all you want, but I typically on lurk around. If I remember correctly, this is about the first time I've been posting in a while.

whottt
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM

I sat on my ass and watched it...following every detail from start to finish. Living and dying with every win and every loss.

You OTOH, have done nothing but witness chokes.

Or were you just talking about watching it on TV? Believe it or not, I did that too.

Not the same...if you start talking about choking...I'll start listening, but other than that I don't see that you'd have a whole lot to tell me about the experience of your team winning an NBA championship.

And it's different than football...basketball teams are different than football teams.

Guess we're in the same boat after all.

How dare you claim we are in the same boat...how dare you.

And PS: 100% of the evidence is on my side.

100%.

ShoogarBear
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Actually, yeah. The way it appears is that you're lashing out at anyone who doesn't share you odd "I believe in this team, but they suck so I'm gonna have it both ways" rhetoric.

Flame me all you want, but I typically on lurk around. If I remember correctly, this is about the first time I've been posting in a while.I'm sure there's another strawman in there.

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
If you think he's right, that's fine. I agree with what he said, actually. Fans of basketball have a right and the wherewithal to give their opinion on which teams can win championships.

So if I agree with him and you agree with him, that means you agree with me. I seriously don't understand what you are getting at. I ribbed him for being a Mav Fan and he got upset. I can understand that. I'll apologize if that's what he wants.

But I don't really understand what you are saying he's right about ... because I've already said he's right.

I don't mind being wrong. I don't mind being flamed. If I minded being flamed, I would have dusted off my ban button and banned whottt a long time ago. That guy flames me every chance he has.

Regarding the Mav Fan, the only thing that got him pizzed was me calling him a Mav Fan in a manner that he perceived as facetious. But then again, if every Spurs fan got flamed for flaming a Mav Fan, SpursTalk would be an empty place.

I don't want an apology. If I was upset, as you keep asserting, I'd ask for one.

If I had some prior rapport with you, or what not, I could easily see how you might get in a good-natured jab about the Mavs. But that's not the case.

All you did was prove yourself to be just like a strong majority of Spurs fans, albeit decidedly more intelligent.

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
What the fuck has happened to this place?

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 01:06 AM
I sat on my ass and watched it...following every detail from start to finish. Living and dying with every win and every loss.

Not the same...if you start talking about choking...I'll start listening, but other than that I don't see that you'd have a whole lot to tell me about the experience of your team winning an NBA championship.

And it's different than football...basketball teams are different than football teams.

100%.

You are so fucking dense. :lol I'll ask again--were you on the roster (or even, the coaching staff) for one of the Spurs title teams?

If not, your experience has been identical to mine, except you were rooting for a particular outcome. You haven't seen shit that I haven't seen. You haven't learned shit that I haven't learned.

Get it? What am I saying--of course you don't.

Findog
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM

100%.

Spurs have 4 rings, Mavs have an empty trophy case. What's your point? Every fanbase has good fans and bad fans, knowledgeable fans that live and die with their team or casual fans that hop on for the good times. What's your point?

ShoogarBear
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM
What the fuck has happened to this place?What did you think was going to happen after that loss?

timvp
03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Spurs fans are typically more knowledgeable about the Spurs than fans of other teams, because they watch all the games and follow them more closely, just as Mavs fans tend to have more insight into the Mavs than other fans, etc...but you don't have to have a certain team affiliation to understand what works in the playoffs and what doesn't. The Spurs will probably get in to the playoffs and from there they have as good a chance as anybody.

I would defer to you or any other hardcore Spurs fan because you've seen about 45 more Spurs games this year than I have, but you don't necessarily have some sort of insight about what it takes to win a title than a fan of another team.Exactly.

A hardcore Spurs fan is generally more able to compare a current year's team to teams of years past. Mostly because a hardcore Spurs fans has probably watched and researched more about the team than an all around basketball fan or a fan of a different team. Just like if I wanted to know whether Jason Kidd has made the Mavs better or worse, I'd ask a Mav fan. Rare is the basketball fan who can watch every game of every team.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
If you think he's right, that's fine. I agree with what he said, actually. Fans of basketball have a right and the wherewithal to give their opinion on which teams can win championships.

Then know that's not how it looked at all in your initial replies to him.

Then we all agree? I don't get it, what's it about then, or why did you handpick my reply to him to begin with if we all agree you think?

Pretty much everything he has said to you directly in this thread. That's easy enough. And if you agreed why did you drag it out or why do I see several replies if you guys going on?

I don't mind being wrong. I don't mind being flamed. If I minded being flamed, I would have dusted off my ban button and banned whottt a long time ago. That guy flames me every chance he has.

Then don't ever promote me to mod cause I would ban the first idiot along those lines I saw.

It was facetious. Look at it from his view, or put yourself in his situation. You totally came off like "i know im longtime spur fan u not go way now bye" just not in the Japanese learning English way. You sort of showed him the door right when he made a witted reply. But from the way you speak now I guess you see that? Or what are you agreeing on exactly?

I wasn't sure what angle you were coming from. You agreeing with something I've already agreed with shouldn't really warrant a response from me.

above

The beautiful thing about the NBA is we'll see if I was being too positive about the Spurs at the moment. If they continue swirling and end up crashing and burning, then yeah I was wrong. I'll admit it. I just honestly don't see it that way. If others do, that's fine. If others think the Spurs could possibly win it but don't agree with my outlook, that's also fine.

We'll find out in the end what this four-game losing streak truly meant.

You are too positive if there is such a thing. When we got owned by the Mavs, when we won it all. It's cool. You not so much as other names I won't mention, have this ego like, you forget how it felt before we won the rings kinda dealt. Again not you so much but my general point in how we talk to eachother and other team fans like we are just the shit, gold, fuck off we own you bye peace c ya type thing. Arrogance, chip on the shoulder. And as I said maybe us getting owned this year by many above .500 teams, this skid, us as fans calling them out. Maybe that will be what they need to get their head on right.

Anyways, yeah. I am sort of confused on what the crap you agreed with cause I got lost midway through replying to others as well. I will check it out and reply later then I suppose if I missed what you, agreed, on, exactly. Lmao.

:reading :reading :reading :reading :reading

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Exactly.

A hardcore Spurs fan is generally more able to compare a current year's team to teams of years past. Mostly because a hardcore Spurs fans has probably watched and researched more about the team than an all around basketball fan or a fan of a different team. Just like if I wanted to know whether Jason Kidd has made the Mavs better or worse, I'd ask a Mav fan. Rare is the basketball fan who can watch every game of every team.

Obviously this is entirely true, but it also has nothing to do with what's going on here.

whottt
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Spurs have 4 rings, Mavs have an empty trophy case. What's your point? Every fanbase has good fans and bad fans, knowledgeable fans that live and die with their team or hop on for the good times. What's your point?

My point is it's impossible for you to know what it feels like to see the team you follow win an NBA championship...to have seen all the pieces fall into place, the chemistry mix, the stars align, from a personal perspective that one can only have with their favorite baketball team.

You've never seen the team you pay the most attention to do it...so you can't know.

Just like I can't know what it's like to see my basketball team repeat...but I know what doesn't work...and that's going broke trying to repeat the regular season success...and there's a pretty clear trail of evidence that not taking the regular season as seriously is exactly the way to approach it.

Indazone
03-18-2008, 01:12 AM
It's an even year. Follow the trend. Spurs don't win championships in even years.

Brutalis
You are so fucking dense. :lol I'll ask again--were you on the roster (or even, the coaching staff) for one of the Spurs title teams?

If not, your experience has been identical to mine, except you were rooting for a particular outcome. You haven't seen shit that I haven't seen. You haven't learned shit that I haven't learned.

Get it? What am I saying--of course you don't.
nobody does with him give up. save yourself.

whottt
You guys call me stupid all you want...

Meanwhile, ya'll are whining like school girls over regular season losses and I've got 100% of the factual evidence relevant to this argument on my side.

But by all means...keep venting, a woman needs to vent :tu

Well some of them do...

DubMcDub
03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
nobody does with him give up. save yourself.

Wise words. I think I'll take them to heart.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 01:15 AM
I left out the Bulls team that won less and 3 peated.

3 peat is a different animal...those teams had two seasons of going the distance.

But every first time champion tha repeated won less...not more. Won less.

100% of the first time champions(and I mean this in the sense of repeating) that repeated, won less. They were not as good in the regular season...

100% of them.

100% of them.

I have just a little evidence on my side VS your stance of the wetness of your vag...
Okay easy.

3peats are 2peats are 309450358peats. It don't fucking matter. You think different then stay in your little box and don't come out. Rings are rings, repeated however many times.

And again you resort to personal remarks after a mental loss. It's okay, people do this to me a lot on Spurstalk. Scoreboard I say!

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 01:15 AM
What did you think was going to happen after that loss?

A pure meltdown, of course. Instead we have Pig Sooey going introspective and babbling about why he doesn't have female companionship.

Brutalis
03-18-2008, 01:17 AM

Flame me all you want, but I typically on lurk around. If I remember correctly, this is about the first time I've been posting in a while.
Well I disagree. I feel like I have every right to bring the Spurs issues to the table that need to be fixed more or less admitted to and if you or anyone thinks this team has no issues or is "fine", me thinks you are the one with issues right along side them.

Findog
03-18-2008, 01:17 AM
My point is it's impossible for you to know what it feels like to see the team you follow win an NBA championship...to have seen all the pieces fall into place, the chemistry mix, the stars align, from a personal perspective that one can only have with their favorite baketball team.

Completely agree.

You've never seen the team you pay the most attention to do it...so you can't know.

Here is where you're wrong. You have more expertise on whether or not the Spurs have what it takes this year because you know their strengths and weaknesses better than I do, and you have to measure that against what you know of the other contenders. Whereas I know what the Mavs do well and what they don't, and I have to gauge how that stacks up against other teams. But we've both watched enough basketball in our lives to determine whether or not a team is championship-caliber or not. You only have to watch a couple Miami Heat games regardless of whether or not you're a fan to see that they stink.

The tone comes across as "your team hasn't won a title, so you can't possibly have the basketball IQ to recognize a title team when you see one." Being a Spurs fan is a stroke of good fortune, as is being a fan of the New England Patriots. You can't automatically transfer your teams accomplishments to back up your arguments.