PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Critical mental errors cost Spurs on last play

greens
03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Notebook: Critical mental errors cost Spurs on last play
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031808.05D.BKNspurs.notebook.3f85e36.html

Web Posted: 03/18/2008 12:45 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Spurs defensive ace Bruce Bowen said he did not know the Spurs had one remaining timeout when he stole an in-bounds pass from Boston's Kevin Garnett with 4.5 seconds remaining in Monday's game at the AT&T Center.

It was a critical mental error in the Spurs' 93-91 loss, and Bowen made no attempt to hide the truth.

"No, I didn't (know)," he said. "When I caught the ball I didn't think I had time to look over (to the bench) to see if they were signaling (for a timeout)."

Instead, Bowen turned away from the bench and fired a pass to Robert Horry, who was behind the 3-point line on the right side of the court.

Horry did know the Spurs had a timeout to use, and wishes he had used it himself.

"(Bruce) should have called a timeout," he said, "and I should have called a timeout, too, because I had enough time to call it, also."

Instead, Horry fired up a long, high 3-point attempt that was far off target.

"As high as I shot the ball, and as bad as I shot it," Horry said, "when it hit the board there was still a second left. So I had plenty of time (to call a timeout)."

Boston's Eddie House went to the foul line with 9.6 seconds remaining, his team leading, 91-89. As he prepared for his free throws, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich scribbled a play on his whiteboard designed to get a 3-point shot if House missed either of his free throws.

He instructed Horry to in-bound the ball quickly if House made both shots, and that's what Horry did after House made the two free throws.

Popovich would have preferred a chance to draw up another play after Bowen's steal, too.

"It would have been good if one of them would have called a timeout, probably," he said. "But in the heat of battle, that doesn't always occur to you."

Especially if you don't know you have a timeout remaining.

Chuckles: Celtics guard Ray Allen, who has a long history of antipathy toward Bowen, once accusing the Spurs' defensive ace of playing "coward's basketball," said he laughed last weekend when he heard about Bowen's suspension for kicking Hornets guard Chris Paul.

"I've been on the other side of some of those kicks," he said.

Allen and Bowen have had problems for years. Bowen was fined $10,000 for kicking Allen in a game in Seattle on March 26, 2006. He apologized after that incident, which had prompted Allen's accusation that Bowen played "coward's basketball."

Bowen was suspended for a kicking action aimed at Paul in the Spurs' loss at New Orleans on Wednesday night. Bowen missed the Spurs' Friday game in Detroit, his first miss after 500 consecutive games.

"I did get a chuckle out of it," Allen said.

end of the article...

Somehow, I just knew they were going to ask Ray Allen about Bruce...

milkyway21
03-18-2008, 02:34 AM
I just can't believe Allen actually won a Sportsmanship award before.

that incident was like a long time time ago and he's still amused thinking about it :wtf

MannyIsGod
03-18-2008, 03:22 AM
When asked about Bowen's Rings Allen had no comment.

greens
03-18-2008, 04:27 AM
I just can't believe Allen actually won a Sportsmanship award before.

that incident was like a long time time ago and he's still amused thinking about it :wtf

Apparently Ray Allen is laughing/chuckling at the fact that Bruce was suspended...

that's just ridiculous...

urunobili
03-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Ray Allen... we will see who will be the last team standing...

ancestron
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
lol @ Ray "Jesus" Allen

Kermit
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Notebook: Critical mental errors cost Spurs on last play
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031808.05D.BKNspurs.notebook.3f85e36.html

Web Posted: 03/18/2008 12:45 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Chuckles: Celtics guard Ray Allen, who has a long history of antipathy toward Bowen, once accusing the Spurs' defensive ace of playing "coward's basketball," said he laughed last weekend when he heard about Bowen's suspension for kicking Hornets guard Chris Paul.

"I've been on the other side of some of those kicks," he said.

Allen and Bowen have had problems for years. Bowen was fined $10,000 for kicking Allen in a game in Seattle on March 26, 2006. He apologized after that incident, which had prompted Allen's accusation that Bowen played "coward's basketball."

Bowen was suspended for a kicking action aimed at Paul in the Spurs' loss at New Orleans on Wednesday night. Bowen missed the Spurs' Friday game in Detroit, his first miss after 500 consecutive games.

"I did get a chuckle out of it, because I lack the anatomy that makes me a man." Allen said.

end of the article...

Somehow, I just knew they were going to ask Ray Allen about Bruce...

cheguevara
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
what a fucking stupid headline.

my headline would be: major choke job as Spurs give up a 22pt lead

a team of salvadorean grandmothers would have done a better job than Spurs in the 3rd quarter

Capt Bringdown
03-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Man, that 3 would've been exactly what the doctor ordered, the play of the season no doubt.

I don't fault the Spurs trying that shot. It's just a damn shame they put themselves in that position having blown a 22 point lead and getting outscored in 3 straight quarters.

What an aggravating game...still can't believe the Celtics managed to land Cassell. What a gift.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
yeah, I can live with that shot decision.

It was Horry.

MoSpur
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Ray Allen is the worst. I really hope that San Antonio and Boston meet each other in the Finals. I want to see Ray Allen and Bruce Bowen battling. I want to see KG and Duncan battling. I want to see Parker school Rondo.

loveforthegame
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
It's a shame Bowen and Horry are taking blame for not calling a timeout. Not there fault at all.

Finley's the reason we blew a lead and lost. He should be stepping up and taking the blame.

And Allen is a jackass. How many rings does he have again?

cash459
03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
When asked about Bowen's Rings Allen had no comment.

:lmao :toast :lmao :toast :lmao

ancestron
03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I yelled at the TV, "Call Timeout!" but they didn't hear me.
You should always call time out after a big steal with less than 5 seconds to go and down by 2 imo. but its easy to say that in retrospect. They would've had enough time to run hands jerk it off tap the forehead 2 down circle kneecap.

Budkin
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
It was a mental error. At home you go for the tie and they should have called time out to set up a play. But yes, the 22 point choke job was just unacceptable.

still.focused
03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
If you call a timeout to setup a play guess what?
Boston gets to set up their defense
You know the same Boston that holds teams to a lower shooting % than any other team in the league
Yeah that team gets to set up a play as well
Ill take my chances with one of the most clutch players in NBA history taking that shot
The real mental error is sending Mike Finley to the scorers table

hater
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I yelled at the TV, "Call Timeout!" but they didn't hear me.

:lol thanks for the clarification