PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs-Not Streaking Rockets-Are The Team To Watch

duncan228
03-18-2008, 06:45 AM
My Spurs drop their fourth in a row and this is what I wake up to in my morning paper.
I like this writer, but this morning I wish he'd just focused on the Lakers! :lol

I thought the Mavs fans would appreciate this.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rockets-postseason-dallas-2000672-kidd-won

It's a nice run for Rockets but ...
Believe it or not, the Dallas Mavericks – not streaking Houston – are the team to watch this week, because they're the ones with the real championship chance.
KEVIN DING
Register columnist

This is nice for the Houston Rockets. Much respect, seriously. These are good people who are working hard and having resultant success. That's the way it should be.

To say here and now that they have no chance whatsoever of winning the NBA championship – even with their historic winning streak at 22 games – is not meant to diminish their current accomplishments. It's just reality.

Many will be monitoring the streak's tests this week: Tuesday vs. Boston, Wednesday at New Orleans (my pick for the end of road), Friday at Golden State and Saturday at Phoenix. Boston might well beat the Rockets first, but in any case the Hornets will for sure after losing twice to Houston recently. Beyond New Orleans seeking revenge, the Rockets simply won't be able to get up for a third consecutive big game. (That's just the way it is in sports. See how New Orleans just beat San Antonio and the Lakers and then could barely get off the ground for the opening tip in a 21-point loss to Detroit.)

In any case, the far more relevant study this week is Dallas, which is a legitimate title threat. Here is what's coming up for the Mavericks: the Lakers Tuesday, Boston on Thursday and San Antonio on Sunday – all at home.

The Mavericks are 9-5 since the trade for Jason Kidd. It's a nothing 9-5 – nine victories against losing teams, five losses against winning teams (although four of those tests came on the road). The only home game against a winning team was hollow because Dirk Nowitzki got suspended and didn't play in Dallas' loss to the Rockets, who have also benefited recently from New Orleans missing All-Star David West and the Lakers missing Pau Gasol.

So we don't yet know how good the Mavericks can be with Kidd. Rest assured, though, that they can be a lot better than Houston come postseason.

When you go more than 10 minutes against Charlotte without scoring Friday and follow it up with a 1-for-18 shooting stretch against the Lakers on Sunday, as the Rockets did, it's going to be next to impossible to score in the postseason against defenses that have scouted your every tendency and are taking your favorite stuff away.

First-year Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has done all he can. You should've heard Sunday how Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant raved about Morey's acquisition of gutty gunner and leader Bobby Jackson – and Morey dumped his only two bad eggs (Bonzi Wells and Mike James) on New Orleans in that deadline deal, too.

But Tracy McGrady's postseason fear factor won't help a team that is getting by right now on diligent execution of the sharp cuts to the basket in Rick Adelman's offense. Houston will wind up exposed as having no interior attack whatsoever without injured Yao Ming.

Phil Jackson marveled that his team allowed 35 second-quarter points Sunday to Rockets "who have to work really hard in this game to score." That's Jackson's respectful way of saying those guys just don't have big-time talent – whereas Dallas can play all-out-effort defense and they can throw smoke with Dirk Nowitzki, Kidd, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Brandon Bass, newcomer Tyronn Lue and he's-now-better-than-you-think Erick Dampier.

It's a fundamental playoff problem – in all sports – for regular-season overachievers. Those teams are proud of winning the regular-season games that can be won by the team that flat-out wants it more. Meanwhile, the talented slackers elsewhere head into the postseason with additional motivation to make their marks – and if you are talented and trying harder, you are going to dust the guy who isn't as talented and is a little bit satisfied.

It's why baseball managers debating whom to give a key postseason start should always pick the pitcher whose stuff and track record are a little nasty over the guy with the good control and nice regular-season stats. Gimme Ervin Santana on any postseason day over Joe Saunders, if you know what I mean.

Dallas' trade of dynamic Devin Harris, about to turn 25, and substantial future considerations for Kidd, who turns 35 Sunday, was a bad one because Dallas conceivably could have won the title this season with Harris anyway. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn't see it happening, so he opted for the dramatic shakeup. But c'mon … Cuban is even more creative off the court than Kidd is on the court; Cuban could've given his team shock therapy some other way.

Regardless, now that it's done, there's no doubt the Mavericks have huge postseason upside if they can adjust fast enough and learn to play with the ball-dominating Kidd.

There are indications it is happening. Howard, who no one can even remember was an All-Star last season, is starting to cut instead of stand around. Dallas has won five in a row.

That's nothing compared to what Houston has done. But in a greater sense, no one has done anything yet.

"The playoffs are about momentum," Bryant said after the Rockets' 22nd consecutive victory, "so hopefully they're peaking early."

u2sarajevo
03-18-2008, 06:50 AM
All Mav fans are watching curiously this week too.

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I can't agree with this article until this week is over and the Mavs have 3 victories. If they can't beat the Lakers without Pau, Celtics without Allen, and a slumping Spurs team, they aren't contenders.

But I love the fact that this has got to piss off Rocket Fan douches.

DaDakota
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Meh,

Let them eat cake.

DD

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Meh,

Let them eat cake.

DD
:lmao

DaDakota
03-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I like this article better.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=280318006

The Dallas Mavericks haven't stood out recently from a crowded Western Conference playoff field -- and with good reason: They haven't beaten another West contender since January.

The Mavericks will look to end a six-game slide against teams in the West playoff picture on Tuesday when they host the Los Angeles Lakers, who've lost two straight and will likely be without injured center Pau Gasol.

The Mavs have won five in a row to remain only 2 1/2 games behind the conference-leading Houston Rockets, but all five games have come against losing teams from the Eastern Conference. Dallas' 44-23 record isn't even good enough for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Since acquiring point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey before the NBA's trade deadline, Dallas is 9-0 against teams with losing records, but 0-5 against playoff teams after losses to New Orleans, San Antonio, the Lakers, Utah and Houston. Four of the five losses were on the road.

The Mavs last beat one of the top nine teams in the West on Jan. 27, when they beat Denver 90-85. They've since lost six straight against such teams, but will have two chances this week with home games against the Lakers (45-21) and San Antonio on Sunday.

In between, they host the NBA-leading Boston Celtics on Thursday.

"We feel like, at home, we should be ready," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki led the Mavs with 21 points in just 25 minutes in Dallas' 98-73 win over the lowly Miami Heat on Sunday. None of the Mavs' starters played more than 27 minutes in the blowout -- the team's fifth straight win by at least 19 points.

"I wanted to get this team to a point where we can get some momentum," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. "... Things could change quite a bit in the Western Conference over the next week or 10 days."

Some of that change could depend on Gasol, who was healthy and scored 17 points when the Mavericks visited Los Angeles on March 2. Still, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant had 52 points in the Lakers' 108-104 overtime win.

Now that Gasol is out with a sprained ankle and not expected to play Tuesday, Bryant said he'll have to carry even more of the offense.

Gasol only played 2 1/2 minutes before he suffered the injury Friday in a 108-98 loss at New Orleans, as Bryant had 36 points. Bryant then attempted 33 shots -- a season high in a non-overtime game -- but made just 11 and had only 24 points in Sunday's 104-92 loss at Houston.

"Teams obviously can crowd the lane and go back to playing the type of defense against us that we've seen in the past," Bryant said. "What we have to do is focus on the defensive end a lot more. And I'll obviously have to shoulder more of the load."

The Lakers, in the midst of a four-game road trip against West contenders, were knocked out of first place in the conference Sunday as the Rockets extended their winning streak to 22 games. Los Angeles last lost three straight games in late January, with center Andrew Bynum injured and Gasol still on the Memphis Grizzlies.

That skid included a 112-105 loss at Dallas, a game the Lakers lost despite 40 points from Bryant and 56.3 percent shooting from the field.

Los Angeles has lost four straight games at Dallas and five of seven to the Mavs overall.

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I like this article better.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=280318006

The Dallas Mavericks haven't stood out recently from a crowded Western Conference playoff field -- and with good reason: They haven't beaten another West contender since January.

The Mavericks will look to end a six-game slide against teams in the West playoff picture on Tuesday when they host the Los Angeles Lakers, who've lost two straight and will likely be without injured center Pau Gasol.

The Mavs have won five in a row to remain only 2 1/2 games behind the conference-leading Houston Rockets, but all five games have come against losing teams from the Eastern Conference. Dallas' 44-23 record isn't even good enough for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Since acquiring point guard Jason Kidd from New Jersey before the NBA's trade deadline, Dallas is 9-0 against teams with losing records, but 0-5 against playoff teams after losses to New Orleans, San Antonio, the Lakers, Utah and Houston. Four of the five losses were on the road.

The Mavs last beat one of the top nine teams in the West on Jan. 27, when they beat Denver 90-85. They've since lost six straight against such teams, but will have two chances this week with home games against the Lakers (45-21) and San Antonio on Sunday.

In between, they host the NBA-leading Boston Celtics on Thursday.

"We feel like, at home, we should be ready," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki led the Mavs with 21 points in just 25 minutes in Dallas' 98-73 win over the lowly Miami Heat on Sunday. None of the Mavs' starters played more than 27 minutes in the blowout -- the team's fifth straight win by at least 19 points.

"I wanted to get this team to a point where we can get some momentum," Dallas coach Avery Johnson said. "... Things could change quite a bit in the Western Conference over the next week or 10 days."

Some of that change could depend on Gasol, who was healthy and scored 17 points when the Mavericks visited Los Angeles on March 2. Still, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant had 52 points in the Lakers' 108-104 overtime win.

Now that Gasol is out with a sprained ankle and not expected to play Tuesday, Bryant said he'll have to carry even more of the offense.

Gasol only played 2 1/2 minutes before he suffered the injury Friday in a 108-98 loss at New Orleans, as Bryant had 36 points. Bryant then attempted 33 shots -- a season high in a non-overtime game -- but made just 11 and had only 24 points in Sunday's 104-92 loss at Houston.

"Teams obviously can crowd the lane and go back to playing the type of defense against us that we've seen in the past," Bryant said. "What we have to do is focus on the defensive end a lot more. And I'll obviously have to shoulder more of the load."

The Lakers, in the midst of a four-game road trip against West contenders, were knocked out of first place in the conference Sunday as the Rockets extended their winning streak to 22 games. Los Angeles last lost three straight games in late January, with center Andrew Bynum injured and Gasol still on the Memphis Grizzlies.

That skid included a 112-105 loss at Dallas, a game the Lakers lost despite 40 points from Bryant and 56.3 percent shooting from the field.

Los Angeles has lost four straight games at Dallas and five of seven to the Mavs overall.

someone's bitter.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Well they are about to put the hurt onto LAL tonight. I just can't see us winning this game without our bigs.

Findog
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Well they are about to put the hurt onto LAL tonight. I just can't see us winning this game without our bigs.

Kobe owns the Mavs. I'm always wary of the Wounded Tiger Effect.

Indazone
03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
awww and yet..we beat them without our bigs.
:blah :danceclub

Findog
03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
The Mavs did exactly what you would want them to do, which is beat down bad teams. Now we're about to find out how good they are.

DaDakota
03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Mavs win tonight.......the Lakers swoon has started.

DD

Flopper
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
someone's bitter.

meh, he's just quoting some facts he's suppose to.

Gino
03-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Lets go Mavs....gotta take care of business against the Gasol-less Lakers.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
This is going to be a tough game tonight, Kobe has the edge over the mavs, it will take solid team defense to get the win tonight...

Findog
03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
We've been playing better and looking good, but let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet, Gentleman.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
No this will not be a tough game for the Mavs. The Lakers are utter shite without a post presence. You spanked us last time we had no post player and you will do it again tonight.

Findog
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
No this will not be a tough game for the Mavs. The Lakers are utter shite without a post presence. You spanked us last time we had no post player and you will do it again tonight.

Kobe is always a tough matchup for the Mavs. Dallas should win, but this is dare I say it, a trap game.

clambake
03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
no win is a given for the mavs, but now they're fun to watch. hope abounds.

Gino
03-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Exactly...so why is Kobe getting all this MVP talk?

Maybe Gasol should be MVP?

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Exactly...so why is Kobe getting all this MVP talk?

Maybe Gasol should be MVP?

I don't think it's that simple. I really think a large part of the Laker's success this season is due to the emergence of a competent post player in Bynum and Gasol AND Kobe's ability to adjust his game to be more of a team player. He actually leads the team in assists.

bostonguy
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Kobe is always a tough matchup for the Mavs. Dallas should win, but this is dare I say it, a trap game.

You will win thursday. No way in hell the Celtics sweep the Texas Triangle. I could see them possibly ending Houstons streak but I see Dallas beating us come Thursday.

mavs>spurs2
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Why is everyone so scared of Dallas all of the sudden? Guys we are a long ways from being where we need to be..

dallaskd
03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Meh,

Let them eat cake.

DD

bostonguy
03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Why is everyone so scared of Dallas all of the sudden? Guys we are a long ways from being where we need to be..

I think it is more of being aware of the Mavs than being scared. The Mavs have IMO the best team ever in the Cuban era. They havent hit their stride yet and when they do, it will be interesting to see what happens from their. Hate them or love them, everyone knows the Mavs are a bitch to beat in a 7 game series and they are a team you cant overlook no matter what.

Gino
03-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's that simple. I really think a large part of the Laker's success this season is due to the emergence of a competent post player in Bynum and Gasol AND Kobe's ability to adjust his game to be more of a team player. He actually leads the team in assists.

Big deal. Lebron is averaging more points and three more assits a game all while shooting a better percentage.

So why should Kobe be considered? LeBron is doing everything Kobe does only he does it a lot better and with a better attitude.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it is more of being aware of the Mavs than being scared. The Mavs have IMO the best team ever in the Cuban era. They havent hit their stride yet and when they do, it will be interesting to see what happens from their. Hate them or love them, everyone knows the Mavs are a bitch to beat in a 7 game series and they are a team you cant overlook no matter what.

No they are not, the Mavs are "chokers". Don't worry about them at all instead go and bow down to the 2008 nba champion san antonio spurs!!

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Big deal. Lebron is averaging more points and three more assits a game all while shooting a better percentage.

So why should Kobe be considered? LeBron is doing everything Kobe does only he does it a lot better and with a better attitude.

Lebron also plays in the Leastern Conference. Let's see him put up those stats in the heavily competitive WC while leading his team to a #1 seed. I agree though that other players are more deserving of the award, mainly Chris Paul. But Kobe has arguably been the best player in the league for the past half decade and still has yet to receive an MVP award, so he will probably get it because of that more than anything else.

The difference between Kobe and Lebron - Lebron sits out 5 games for a pinky sprain on his non-shooting hand.

Gino
03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Lebron also plays in the Leastern Conference. Let's see him put up those stats in the heavily competitive WC while leading his team to a #1 seed. I agree though that other players are more deserving of the award, mainly Chris Paul. But Kobe has arguably been the best player in the league for the past half decade and still has yet to receive an MVP award, so he will probably get it because of that more than anything else.

The difference between Kobe and Lebron - Lebron sits out 5 games for a pinky sprain on his non-shooting hand.

Yeah....LeBron's superior shooting numbers are because he plays in the east. :rolleyes

bostonguy
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
No they are not, the Mavs are "chokers". Don't worry about them at all instead go and bow down to the 2008 nba champion san antonio spurs!!

The Mavs may have a rough playoff history and dont have the championship success the spurs have, but I know spurs fans deep down dont dismiss the Mavs like that. They are lying to themselves if they cross the Mavs off as a non-threat.They will talk shit and joke about the Mavs playoff failures, but deep down inside they know a 7 game series will be intense and could possibly go the distance (or at least 6 games).

ludda
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Mavs can't defend Kobe and if he's hot, then I could see the Lakers winning.

Jack Sommersset
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I think Avery is a terrible coach. Unless someway somehow Kidd takes over this team on the floor and in the locker room, the Mavs will fall again in dramitic form.

Shank
03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Those last 2 takes are hard-hitting.

Findog
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Those last 2 takes are hard-hitting.

The Mavs are going down in dramitic fashion, as opposed to non-descript fashion.

Findog
03-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Mavs can't defend Kobe and if he's hot, then I could see the Lakers winning.

So Kobe playing well gives the Lakers a better chance of winning than when he plays poorly? You don't say...

Findog
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM

I prefer to be overlooked and doubted. You just can't put any stock in what they did against the cupcakes. We'll have a much better handle on this team Sunday night. The Lakers are missing Gasol and Bynum, we'll be getting Boston when they're playing for the third time in four nights, and the Spurs are slumping. We have no excuses for not getting two out of three.

ludda
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
So Kobe playing well gives the Lakers a better chance of winning than when he plays poorly? You don't say...

Kobe seems to single-handedly beat the Mavs more than he does with other good teams.

Findog
03-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Kobe seems to single-handedly beat the Mavs more than he does with other good teams.

He's actually had a few bad games against us, and they usually occur at the AAC. But you're right, I don't care if he's on the floor with 4 D-Leaguers, him and Jackzen versus Dirk and Avery will always make me nervous.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 05:04 PM
If you are afraid of a Bynum-Gasol-less Laker team then you just aren't that good.