PDA

View Full Version : Brain surgeon used DIY drill

sa_butta
03-18-2008, 08:51 AM
A brain surgeon used a £30 DIY drill to carry out a successful operation on a fully conscious patient.

Henry Marsh, 58, used a Bosch cordless drill because he did not have his normal equipment on him.

He was on a trip to Ukraine to help people let down by an inadequate health system, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Halfway through the operation to remove the tumour from Marian Dolishny's head, the power ran out.

Thankfully the neurosurgeon, who normally practises at St George's Hospital in Tooting, south London, was able the complete the operation and save a life.

He later said: "I'm not recommending that we should all use Bosch do-it-yourself drills in England, but it shows how with improvisation you can achieve a lot."

The operation was captured on film for a BBC2 documentary called The English Surgeon, to be aired on March 30.

His patient was only given local anaesthetic because he could not find a fully trained anaesthetist.

Mr Marsh attached medical drill bits to the Bosch but admitted the operation was not comfortable for his patient - saying Ukranians could bear it because they were tough.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2774001.html?menu=

I wonder if he used duct tape afterwards??:lol

johngateswhiteley
03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
holy shit...

boutons_
03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
a drill is a drill. $49.95 at HomeDepot or $4995 from a medical supply house. Does the hole care?

johngateswhiteley
03-18-2008, 09:14 AM
a drill is a drill. $49.95 at HomeDepot or $4995 from a medical supply house. Does the hole care?

i'm sure it matters some, but thats not what got me most.

mrsmaalox
03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Well I use real brain drills for my little jobs around the house. Back when I was working trauma and critical care, we used to have to drill holes in people's heads all the time. Black & Decker makes these small disposable drills that are awesome and in high demand after the procedure (because they would just get thrown away). So just the other day that I was using my little drill to hang up a closet rod, I thought about that nice young man whose skull I had drilled into years ago....

Slomo
03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I use real brain drills for my little jobs around the house. Back when I was working trauma and critical care, we used to have to drill holes in people's heads all the time. Black & Decker makes these small disposable drills that are awesome and in high demand after the procedure (because they would just get thrown away). So just the other day that I was using my little drill to hang up a closet rod, I thought about that nice young man whose skull I had drilled into years ago....What's the difference? Can you describe this brain drills?

mrsmaalox
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
What's the difference? Can you describe this brain drills?

They are just tiny little things that kinda look more like a hand mixer. Perfect size for a lady's hand...

Slomo
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
They are just tiny little things that kinda look more like a hand mixer. Perfect size for a lady's hand...But the power and speed are roughly the same?

mrsmaalox
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
But the power and speed are roughly the same?

I would say probably faster speeds, but less strong; like a dentist's drill; I'll see if I can get a pic.

mrsmaalox
03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
http://www.bandillc.com/images/ebayimages/itemid=32604/0.jpg

The orthopedic ones are regular sized, but the skull ones are small

E20
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Interesting story.