PDA

View Full Version : When do we start blaming Pop

rob5
03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
When do we start blaming pop for the latest slump we're in? We praise him as a great coach when we're winning but he seems to get away clean when we're struggling. It's always something else like Tony's injury or Duncan's non aggressiveness. What about getting out coached again last night. Bruce admitted he didn't even know they had a time out when he stole the ball at the end of the game. That means it wasn't even discussed at the last huddle.

Mr. Body
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
It's not about Pop so much about the fucktastic management job he and Buford have been pulling the last 2+ years. They brought in Finley and seemed to call it a decade. Trading Scola for nothing? What the fuck?

ancestron
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Please see thread "Fire Pop"

Evan
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Please see thread "Fire Pop"

why?

Fabbs
03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Phildo Jackson has the foresight and shows enough foresight and willingness to admit his shortcomings in hiring Tex Winters to run the offense when the Bulls and Fakers won titles.

Poppycock refused to admit his offensive deficiencies and the O coordinator(s) seem to be nothing more then figureheads.

Phils got 9, Poppycock has 4.
I believe personellwise Pop has had the nearly the same opportunites that Phildo had. While i do not think Pop should have had 9 straight :elephant i do believe we could have repeated or even threepeated if he was not such an offensive doldrum. Last nights blown game vs Boston is prime example.
Stallball smallball with a 22 pt and 9 pt 4th qtr lead.

Agree the Scola for nothing is a total disaster and how much did Pop condone or even approve of this. Got money for Bonner but none for Scola.

boutons_
03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Not much Pop can do about the chickenshit game Tim turned in last night.

loveforthegame
03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Only one person is to blame for this fiasco. His initials are MF.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
People call for Pop's head every time the Spurs start slumping. Where have you been?

Fabbs
03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
^^ looking for a repeat since they won in 2003.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
if we missed the playoffs?

i wanna see pop out,

the team revamp with new blood

StoneBuddha
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM

i wanna see pop out,

If you lose Pop, you'd have one upset Tim Duncan. No thanks. Pop will figure it out. He gets in his lulls and gets stubbotn sometimes but usually figures things out. As long as the team isn't tuning him out, Pop should stay the coach.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Phildo Jackson has the foresight and shows enough foresight and willingness to admit his shortcomings in hiring Tex Winters to run the offense when the Bulls and Fakers won titles.

Poppycock refused to admit his offensive deficiencies and the O coordinator(s) seem to be nothing more then figureheads.

Phils got 9, Poppycock has 4.
I believe personellwise Pop has had the nearly the same opportunites that Phildo had. While i do not think Pop should have had 9 straight :elephant i do believe we could have repeated or even threepeated if he was not such an offensive doldrum. Last nights blown game vs Boston is prime example.
Stallball smallball with a 22 pt and 9 pt 4th qtr lead.

Agree the Scola for nothing is a total disaster and how much did Pop condone or even approve of this. Got money for Bonner but none for Scola.
Was P.J. Carlisemo an offensive minded coach for us when he was here last year?

yavozerb
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Stupid thread...Pop is not going anywhere unless he says so!!

Agloco
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM

i wanna see pop out,

Unrealistic expectations are what Spurs fans have now.

We've been spoiled by having a winner here for 10 years.

baseline bum
03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Shit, when did we stop?

tlongII
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Popavich is the most overrated coach in NBA history.

vander
03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Unrealistic expectations are what Spurs fans have now.

We've been spoiled by having a winner here for 10 years.

I don't subscribe to this "be thankful for what you get" mentality, we have Tim Duncan, and TD + competent management + competent coaching = 9-peat

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:22 PM
When has Pop not been the reason the Spurs have lost every year since 2000?

Late to the party.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
You guys actually have rings and you want pop gone?! before you start making threads about shit like this go check out what Mavs fans and kings fans and other ringless fanbases go through. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

Holt's Cat
03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
It's not about Pop so much about the fucktastic management job he and Buford have been pulling the last 2+ years. They brought in Finley and seemed to call it a decade. Trading Scola for nothing? What the fuck?

http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/32/2005/323002.jpg

Teflon Pete.

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Shit.

SenorSpur
03-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm frustrated with Pop the VP, moreso than Pop the coach.

When do we start blaming Pop?

When we see R.C Buford seated at the NBA Draft Lottery in June.

T Park
03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm frustrated with Pop the VP, moreso than Pop the coach.

When do we start blaming Pop?

When we see R.C Buford seated at the NBA Draft Lottery in June.

If Pop was the decision maker for this team you would see the following players on the roster

Josh Howard
Udonis Haslem
Raja Bell.

Twisted_Dawg
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
If Pop was the decision maker for this team you would see the following players on the roster

Josh Howard
Udonis Haslem
Raja Bell.

T Park....interesting post on your part and I am curious as to how you know this? A writer from the Express News told me that in the 2003 draft the entire Spurs management was all for drafting Josh Howard, but they could not change the opinion of one member (who he refused to name). I always thought it was Pop since he was hell bent on signing Jason Kidd and did not need another guaranteed contract a 1st round pick (Howard) would have required. We passed on Howard which strenghten Dallas and then drafted Barbosa for a trade back to Phoenix. So in one move we stenghtened two conference rivals.

After Kidd spurned us, we "settled' on Nesterovic which was a mistake. His contract haunted us for years.

That was a disasterous summer. Whoever was responsible, needs to be held accountable. If Pop is responsible, I can offset some anger since he has coached us to 4 titles. But if that little prick R. C. Buford is behind this shit, then I say fire his ass yesterday.

I am not sure who orchestrated the Scola give away. But that person needs to be fired.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
......whenever Pop misses the shot at the buzzer. that's when.

T Park
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Twisted

Pop and Duncan wanted Howard, RC wanted Jason Kidd.

T Park
03-18-2008, 02:34 PM
The barbosa trade was prearranged, they never drafted him then said eh we don't want him.

Twisted_Dawg
03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Twisted

Pop and Duncan wanted Howard, RC wanted Jason Kidd.

Interesting. Are you fairly certain this is true???? You have a good source??

ALVAREZ6
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
If you lose Pop, you'd have one upset Tim Duncan. No thanks.Good, at least Tim can turn it into aggression.

Jack Sommersset
03-18-2008, 02:43 PM
When Timmay retires.

T Park
03-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Interesting. Are you fairly certain this is true???? You have a good source??

Its been pretty well known for a while now honestly.

rob5
03-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Stupid thread...Pop is not going anywhere unless he says so!!
yeah, just like the way he hired himself as head coach cause no one else would.

Twisted_Dawg
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Its been pretty well known for a while now honestly.

I just always thought it was Pop that pushed signing Kidd.

T Park, think about it. Do you think that a GM (Buford) would have tried to force a player ( Kidd) on a coach ( Pop) who wanted another player (Howard) instead? I just do not see Buford over ruling a coach that had just won his second title and forcing a player on Pop he didn't want.

During the Kidd negotiations, Parker was quoted with a critical comment about acquiring Kidd. I remember Pop going ballistic with his own acid comments in the paper directed back towards Tony. During the negotiations, I recall many quotes by Pop in the paper glowing about Kidd.

After Kidd turned us down, Pop went globe hoping to Slovenia (or wherever Rasho was living) to talk him into signing with us. I would have thought had it been Buford pushing to sign Kidd, Buford would have went to Slovenia.

So based on all this, I beleive it was Pop that vetoed drafting Howard and going after Kidd.

T Park
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM

omg......

jag
03-18-2008, 05:31 PM

wow

Warlord23
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around.

The owner and front-office have made numerous moves which make more sense from a financial perspective than basketball-wise. They have also made foolhardy bets on decrepit vet PGs (NVE, Mouse) during "repeat" seasons.
The coach hasn't got the best out of his players and rotations. Pop is a very good Xs and Os coach, but he does make in-game errors (crucial substitutions that have lost us a few games, doubling KG and leaving Sam open vs the Celtics, etc).
The team is sucking ass. They're losing their composure in the clutch, which is inexcusable for a veteran team. Yes they may have lost some athletic ability, but making boneheaded/scared plays down the stretch (vs the Suns, Pistons, Celtics, etc etc) means we can't keep or extend leads

Let's hope they can all pull their heads out of their asses by April.

ChuckD
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Pop didn't want to coach. The players essentially "hired" him, growing tired of Bob Hill's glory grabbing/blame game flip flop.

rob5
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Pop didn't want to coach. The players essentially "hired" him, growing tired of Bob Hill's glory grabbing/blame game flip flop.
wrong :nope Robinson was upset when Bob Hill was fired and pop was conveniently taking over the day he came back from injury

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Despite being one of his biggest coaching critics, I think what we are seeing right now has more to do with Pop and RC's fondness for senior citizen role players.

WalterBenitez
03-19-2008, 06:25 AM

i wanna see pop out,

Only POP? :eyebrows

WalterBenitez
03-19-2008, 06:27 AM
The barbosa trade was prearranged, they never drafted him then said eh we don't want him.

I know is a what if scenario ... but Barbosa is great enough, I am amazed how the best scouting execs did an excelent job getting TP + Manu, but lost Barbosa + Scola ... :bang

JPB
03-19-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm sick of the "Pop owns everything to TD".

Never heard opposite players/coaches talking about how well Spurs executes, are organised, concentrates on D, maintain chemistry, are classy... ? (maybe not that much lately)

Where does it come from IYO ? Who is the guy who impulses all those notions ?

SenorSpur
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Note to the FO: Building a successful roster, DOES NOT necessarily include having predominantly senior citizen ball players. Other teams (BOS, HOUT, DET) are doing well with a better mix of experience and youth.

Twisted_Dawg
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Re: The firing of Bob Hill. Didn't Avery go into Pop's office and tell him Hill had lost the team and the players no longer had confidence in him? And this was the final straw which sealed Hill's demise?