LA24
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3300705

Now where's all those Laker fans beating their chests
saying "wait 'til Bynum comes back." I doubt he'll be that
much of a help after being out 5 months. :madrun

Amuseddaysleeper
03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Even if he does come back, I'd be amazed if he's even 80% of what he used to be for this season.

LA24
03-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Even if he does come back, I'd be amazed if he's even 80% of what he used to be for this season.

I agree. Just don't mention that to Confused, he might cry.

Gino
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Screw 80%....he's 20 years old and his game's completely dependant on his athleticism.

Kobayagi
03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I doubt he'll be that
much of a help after being out 5 months. :madrun

It's more like three months.

Medvedenko
03-18-2008, 08:50 PM
No worries....any game time from him will be a bonus. Just need to get Gasol back and we can make a run.

Warlord23
03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
With most of the West teams disadvantaged for some reason or the other (injuries, bad trades, lack of rhythm), Boston and Detroit must be feeling good.

tlongII
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I've been saying this for a while now. I doubt Bynum will play in the playoffs too.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I've said this all along, an EC team will win the Finals. No WC team is looking like they could take down BOS or DET in a 7 game series.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Yea it's looking more and more like Bynum will be shutdown for the season. Unless he's physically 100% I don't see the point in bringing him back. The most important thing for us this season is to get out of the 1st round and get valuable playoff experience. Getting a ring would be a nice bonus, but next season looks like the season we put it all together and start rolling.

mavsfan1000
03-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Lakers are tougher to guard without him. That small ball thing they got going is a tough matchup for Dallas.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
The Lakers will be a much better team on both ends of the floor when Bynum gets back and is integrated with the team. We will have a legit low post center, a PF who can hit the midrange jumpshot, a versatile SF who can slash and create for others, the best 2 guard in the league, and Derek Fisher who isn't much but at least he can hit a clutch 3.

mavsfan1000
03-18-2008, 11:52 PM
The Lakers will be a much better team on both ends of the floor when Bynum gets back and is integrated with the team. We will have a legit low post center, a PF who can hit the midrange jumpshot, a versatile SF who can slash and create for others, the best 2 guard in the league, and Derek Fisher who isn't much but at least he can hit a clutch 3.
Better against most teams but Dallas prefers playing against traditional teams. Dampier is as good a low post defender there is while being as bad of a perimeter defender as there is. It is huge for Dampier to be able to stay in the paint on defense and challenge shots. Even if Bynum is a beast.

DazedAndConfused
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I'll take Bynum's interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking any day over trying to favorably matchup with the Mavs. The whole point is to make other teams adjust to our large frontline.

21_Blessings
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Better against most teams but Dallas prefers playing against traditional teams. Dampier is as good a low post defender there is while being as bad of a perimeter defender as there is. It is huge for Dampier to be able to stay in the paint on defense and challenge shots. Even if Bynum is a beast.

Irrevelant.

Bynum completely changes the Lakers defense from mediocre to amazing. And you won't be able to double team Kobe like you were doing tonight, thats for sure.

Basically, you're delusional.

mavsfan1000
03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Irrevelant.

Bynum completely changes the Lakers defense from mediocre to amazing. And you won't be able to double team Kobe like you were doing tonight, thats for sure.

Basically, you're delusional.
You didn't see the Mavs/Warriors series. The mavs were forced to take Dampier out because of that small ball lineup. It is a nightmare matchup for the mavs to go against bigs that shoot from deep. The lane will be a lot more crowded with Bynum out there on both sides of the court which the games will be lower scoring.

cash459
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
if bynum is going to be out becuase phil doesnt want him having to worry about swelling on his knee from day to daay wear & tear, then whats make you think he out working on his game in any shape?

yes, he has skill, yes he has talent, but for him to just jump into an nba playoff game, he will be lost and out of sink with the team.

granted him being in the lane will alter shots, but it change the chemsitry of the team when he is out there. especially if he cant get back in transition.

DazedAndConfused
03-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Bynum will have even less responsibilities when he comes back. It won't be like MJ coming back for the playoffs. Now that we have Gasol as our post option on offense, all Bynum will need to focus on is his defense, rebounding, shot blocking, setting screens, etc. These are things he should be able to pickup pretty quickly.

He will come off the bench too, so he will be replacing DJ MBenga. Now if Mbenga can find a way to be a positive on the floor for our team, a 75% Bynum most definitely can. Any production we can get out of Bynum will be a bonus.

GaryJohnston
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
:lol @ lakerfans who think Bynum is this force or something in the NBA.

BLACKMAMBA24
03-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Don't trip, he will help plenty.He should be getting into better shape in the second round.

tlongII
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
The Lakers will not be able to deal with the Blazers next season.

Oden + Aldridge >>> Bynum + Gasol

Gino
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Bynum will have even less responsibilities when he comes back. It won't be like MJ coming back for the playoffs. Now that we have Gasol as our post option on offense, all Bynum will need to focus on is his defense, rebounding, shot blocking, setting screens, etc. These are things he should be able to pickup pretty quickly.

He will come off the bench too, so he will be replacing DJ MBenga. Now if Mbenga can find a way to be a positive on the floor for our team, a 75% Bynum most definitely can. Any production we can get out of Bynum will be a bonus.

Wow...what wishful thinking.

Reality: The Lakers play at one of the fastest paces in the NBA...according to Hollinger, only Denver, Phoenix and GS play faster.

Bynum is twenty years old and plays like it. He's developed a nice baby hook and is a good rebounder, but he doesn't have a great basketball IQ yet.

My guess is he won't even play much in the first couple of rounds. If the Lakers get the number one seed and play GS, we're gonna see a repeat of last year's big upset.

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow...what wishful thinking.

Reality: The Lakers play at one of the fastest paces in the NBA...according to Hollinger, only Denver, Phoenix and GS play faster.

Bynum is twenty years old and plays like it. He's developed a nice baby hook and is a good rebounder, but he doesn't have a great basketball IQ yet.

My guess is he won't even play much in the first couple of rounds. If the Lakers get the number one seed and play GS, we're gonna see a repeat of last year's big upset.

Please, no fucking way! The Lakers own GS! Bynum wouldn't even have to be used against GS. Utah, San Antonio and maybe Phoenix will require Bynum because of their bigs. GS, Houston, Dallas will not.

Gino
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Please, no fucking way! The Lakers own GS! Bynum wouldn't even have to be used against GS. Utah, San Antonio and maybe Phoenix will require Bynum because of their bigs. GS, Houston, Dallas will not.

You guys are 1-1 against Golden State. How is that "ownage"?

We'll see how they do against in their back to back coming up.

A possible playoff preview?

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
You guys are 1-1 against Golden State. How is that "ownage"?

We'll see how they do against in their back to back coming up.

A possible playoff preview?

I think that was the first time the warriors beat the lakers in awhile. They're 9-1 in their last 10 games. When they barely won in GS they acted like it was a championship game. The Lakers can run with the warriors. I would feel confident against the Warriors in the first round.

DazedAndConfused
03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
We are something like 11-1 against GSW over the last few years, and that game they won we controlled the entire way through until 4 minutes to go when Baron and co. went nuts and started hitting ridiculous 3pt shots. Not much you can do against that.

And it's funny how Gino shows up all of a sudden to talk shit now that the Celtics are relevant. Typical of a bandwagon fan.

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
We are something like 11-1 against GSW over the last few years, and that game they won we controlled the entire way through until 4 minutes to go when Baron and co. went nuts and started hitting ridiculous 3pt shots. Not much you can do against that.

And it's funny how Gino shows up all of a sudden to talk shit now that the Celtics are relevant. Typical of a bandwagon fan.

I looked it up. 14-1 in their last 15 games and 16-1 at the Staples center. GS doesn't concern me.

cash459
03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
playoff are a whole different beast, where anything can happen. you can have a streak of games where players are "on" and starting hitting everything thing & it changes the way the series plays out....

im not saying that will happen for sure, but it still is a possbility

hell, it could even happen to the spurs

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
playoff are a whole different beast, where anything can happen. you can have a streak of games where players are "on" and starting hitting everything thing & it changes the way the series plays out....

im not saying that will happen for sure, but it still is a possbility

hell, it could even happen to the spurs

Anythings possible but I'll take the Lakers experience, coaches and Players vs. GS anyday.

Medvedenko
03-19-2008, 01:03 PM
It's going to get crazy come playoff time. Hopefully we can hold onto the 1 or 2 seed. Health is a huge concern as well.

Gino
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I looked it up. 14-1 in their last 15 games and 16-1 at the Staples center. GS doesn't concern me.

Well that IS ownage....but Im still excited to see their upcoming games.

God bless raptorsnation.tk

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
La with Gasol and their huge line up will dominate GS. Los Angeles is just too big for Golden State to match up against. They also have a post player in Gasol, which Dallas was missing last year and let's not forget Kobe too!

I agree. Not to sound cocky but GS is not a team that I worry about as a Lakers fan. I guarantee that Kobe will not choke. Gasol and Odom will be enough to handle them inside, imo.

LakeShow
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM
it isn't sounding cocky..it's just true. Los Angeles is just too big for Golden State to handle. Gasol will abuse them inside just like Bynum did. Odom will go crazy with rebounds and we all know what Kobe can do, when he wants too.

It isn't about choking that much for Dallas they just don't match up well against Golden State. If they had a post player in that series they would have won..also I'm not complaining but Golden State made the most 3 pointers I've ever seen in that series too; which made it a lot easier for my Spurs to get to the finals by not facing Dallas!

That is the way you beat the Warriors and why the Lakers have been successful against them for so long. I see the Lakers winning that series in 5, if they should meet.

Allanon
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Adam, you have some excellent points on GSW, they are too small to play the Lakers plus Nellie can't get over the hump vs Phil. They'll get a win or two because Oakland Arena is tough but that's about it.

I feel Bynum's going to be back before the Playoffs start.

The Celtics are the only team that has thoroughly beaten the Lakers this year.

DazedAndConfused
03-19-2008, 03:19 PM
So the latest from one of the resident Laker insiders over at CL, the guy who predicted the Ariza trade well before it happened, is that Bynum is still on track to come back 2-3 games before the playoffs start and that nothing has changed in that regard from last week. Phil was probably just being cautious with the media and not getting anyone's hopes up because one minor setback could delay the process further.

LA24
03-19-2008, 03:34 PM
The Lakers will not be able to deal with the Blazers next season.

Oden + Aldridge >>> Bynum + Gasol

:nope

Kobe/Bynum/Gasol/Phil Jackson >>> Oden/Roy/Aldrige/McMilan

DazedAndConfused
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/03/19/phil-jackson-hedges-again-on-bynum-return-date/

Findog
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
You didn't see the Mavs/Warriors series. The mavs were forced to take Dampier out because of that small ball lineup.

The Mavs were forced to sit Dampier because he was ineffective due to a torn rotator cuff.

BLACKMAMBA24
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Looks like we will all get our chance to see if Bynum is a force or not.