PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks, 2000-2008

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
The greatest era in Dallas Mavericks history ended tonight. This team got close, but didn't close the deal. That is a shame, but let's not let that distract us from seeing the greatness that this team has been. This was a great era for the NBA, it was a great era for the city of Dallas, and it's a great era for every Mavs fan who suffered through the 90's.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. And the Mavericks run as an elite team has officially ended tonight.

I spent time being pissed off, I spent time literally crying over it, but I think we all just need to reflect and remember the great moments during this era. There are a lot of wonderful memories, and this should be the thread where they are all placed.

I salute you, Dallas Mavericks. You fought hard, you fought well, you endured having Shawn Bradley and Erick Dampier on your roster, and you gave it your all. You fell short of the ultimate prize, but your success is still something we can all remember with pride.

I am proud to be a fan of the Dallas Mavericks, and I will continue to watch with pride as this team begins their next rebuilding effort.

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
1OmE3B-s8ow

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:45 PM
4Vy0kI4SMvo

BUMP
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
are you kidding?

lurker
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
This means the Mavs will win it all now.

Findog
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Bottom line:

- This team is talented, this team is very good, but as currently constructed, players and coaches, it will not win a title.

- Amazingly, with Denver, Houston and Golden State losing as well, the Mavs are not worse off, pole-position wise.

- Why did we trade for Kidd if we're only going to play him 27 minutes against the Lakers and not have him in for the final play? Do you think Kidd passes the ball to Dirk's feet at the end there? I know he was sitting in the third quarter when the Mavs made their run and Avery wanted to go with the unit that was getting the team back in the game, but c'mon. And we were killed on the boards. Dampier only played 19 minutes. I know he picked up two quick fouls, but foul trouble in the first quarter does not necessarily mean foul trouble in the fourth quarter.

- I don't care that we had a chance to win. The game was lost in the first half. The way the West is, the playoffs have started, and there's no excuse for not protecting your homecourt against an undermanned Laker team.

- I just don't trust this team. They could go on fire from here on out, but I just don't have faith in them because their coach frequently has his head up his ass and the players don't take it upon themselves to play a full 48 minutes. On paper, they could beat anybody, but I just don't trust them.

remingtonbo2001
03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
How did Dallas fail to win the 2006 NBA Champions?

They were playing fantastic ball throughout the WC playoffs.

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:52 PM
are you kidding?
are you? after seeing the afterbirth they queefed out onto the court tonight and told everybody was an honest effort, can you say they're still a contender?

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm here to celebrate the great run the Mavericks had, nothing else. I don't want negativity ruining this thread. The Mavericks had an incredible run, but unfortunately, that run is now over.

mavsfan1000
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
It's not over yet. The mavs still have a couple more years of contending.

Findog
03-18-2008, 11:55 PM
It's not over yet. The mavs still have a couple more years of contending.

Not with Avery they don't.

This thing will have a happy ending this summer:

1) We win a title

or

2) Avery gets fired.

BUMP
03-18-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't want negativity ruining this thread.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

so are we supposed to be "positively" celebrating the end of an era (without a championship)?

this thread is a joke

MajicMan
03-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Don't forget your owner is an overbearing douche bag. This is as pathetic as Queens fans celebrating the Piss Webber Queens years.

monosylab1k
03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
so are we supposed to be "positively" celebrating the end of an era (without a championship)?
yes we are. once you realize the inevitability of it all, you'll come around. We're here to celebrate an incredible run of success, and to cheer on the next rebirth of the Dallas Mavericks in the near future.

A title will come, unfortunately it will take longer than any of us want. But we must all have faith. In 4 or 5 years when this team rebuilds, we'll be back in the picture.

BUMP
03-19-2008, 12:01 AM
But we must all have faith. In 4 or 5 years when this team rebuilds, we'll be back in the picture.

now that part does make sense we might have to rebuild to make a championship team, but i still wont give up until we are officially eliminated. the Spurs are right there with us and they have as good a chance as anybody.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
this is a tough series to remember, but there was still at least one memorable moment for all Mavs fans.
opqXvibhFtM

Matchman
03-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Don't forget your owner is an overbearing douche bag. This is as pathetic as Queens fans celebrating the Piss Webber Queens years.

i would take the overbearing douch bag owner that actually loves and cares about the team than other owners treating their team as businesses.

Findog
03-19-2008, 12:11 AM
i would take the overbearing douch bag owner that actually loves and cares about the team than other owners treating their team as businesses.

Amen +1

Gino
03-19-2008, 12:13 AM
First the game thread now this.........

clambake
03-19-2008, 12:14 AM
tonight was another "derek harper moment" delivered by the lakers.

mFFL03
03-19-2008, 12:19 AM
if you can't support this team during down years....then you are better off not supporting this team

typical bandwagon dallas trash

san antonio spurs
03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
The reverse karma works sometimes; not all the time :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-19-2008, 01:08 AM
1OmE3B-s8ow

I know exactly where I was when I watched that.

That made for a pretty shitty move to San Angelo to have to think of that over and over.

GetNashty
03-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Dirk could retire ringless just like his ambassador Charles Barkley. And there's nothing wrong with that. Even if the Nash era Phoenix Suns were to win a title, I would still not love that roster and team as much as I love the ringless contender of '92,93-'94,'95

I feel for Dallas fans. Just keep up the cheering and be happy with the success. When you really think about it, the good times and the community of the teams is what we're here for. I don't know about you guys, but I'll always love the Phoenix Suns, even if they're ringless for as long as I live.

Cheers!
:toast

Allanon
03-19-2008, 07:28 AM
The Mavs probably would have won the championship if they had gotten past GSW. GSW was the worst matchup they could have pulled.

Win or lose, this is Avery's last year.

stretch
03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
This is a terrible thread and an embarassment for the truly loyal Mavs fans.

sribb43
03-19-2008, 08:12 AM
The glory years of the Mavs ruined by this man

http://givemetherock.com/images/mavericks/avery_johnson_professor_x.jpg

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
This is a terrible thread and an embarassment for the truly loyal Mavs fans.
This is spoken by someone who wasn't a fan in the 90's, everybody realize that.

I'm a truer fan than any of these people trying to talk shit to me. They're pissed because I've let go of the silly notion that this team is capable of winning a title. I've accepted this reality, and I'm ready to move on. I'm eagerly awaiting the next era of the Mavericks, that is all.

We'll see how dedicated all these "loyal" Mavs fans are when the shit really hits the fan and this team goes back to winning 20 games a year. I was around during the bad years, I was around during the good times, and I'll still be around when this team fades away. We'll see about these fucks that jumped on the bandwagon when the team got good.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
if you can't support this team during down years....then you are better off not supporting this team
Where were you in the 90's?

With a screen name like MFFL, I guess you didn't give a shit until cuban bought the team. You're the bandwagon trash, my friend. I was screaming my lungs out in support of this team as they were getting plastered every night with Chris Gatling as their best player. You were probably rooting for the Lakers. So fuck off.

stretch
03-19-2008, 08:52 AM
This is spoken by someone who wasn't a fan in the 90's, everybody realize that.

I'm a truer fan than any of these people trying to talk shit to me. They're pissed because I've let go of the silly notion that this team is capable of winning a title. I've accepted this reality, and I'm ready to move on. I'm eagerly awaiting the next era of the Mavericks, that is all.

We'll see how dedicated all these "loyal" Mavs fans are when the shit really hits the fan and this team goes back to winning 20 games a year. I was around during the bad years, I was around during the good times, and I'll still be around when this team fades away. We'll see about these fucks that jumped on the bandwagon when the team got good.
Spoken by a guy who talks about giving up on his teams anytime they lose (first Pats, now Mavs...) Sounds like a bandwagonner to me...

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Spoken by a guy who talks about giving up on his teams anytime they lose (first Pats, now Mavs...)
giving up on them having a chance to win a title you ignorant fuck. not giving up on them completely. learn to fucking read.

i've accepted the harsh reality that this team just isn't capable of winning a championship, but i'll continue to support the team and their rebuilding effort.

like I said before, we'll see how dedicated you stay to the Mavs while they're bad. You claim to be a Raiders fan but can't stop chugging Vince Young & Donovan McNabb cock, so we see where your loyalties lie during rough times for your teams.

stretch
03-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Weaksauce.

It's pretty fucking hard to deal with seeing your team lose a championship, much like losing 80% of your games on a yearly basis. If you can deal with either of those things and still come out with optimism, then I consider that to be a loyal fan.

Bandwagonners are people who jump ship either when your team is losing a bunch, or loses a championship.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
don't be pissed at me, I'm just the messenger. The Mavs window for a title is shut, and it won't be reopened. Support your team with open eyes, don't be a blind homer.

Show your love for the Mavs as they slide back to mediocrity, the last time it happened all you fucks jumped off the bandwagon and didn't get back on until 2000.

stretch
03-19-2008, 08:59 AM
giving up on them having a chance to win a title you ignorant fuck. not giving up on them completely. learn to fucking read.

i've accepted the harsh reality that this team just isn't capable of winning a championship, but i'll continue to support the team and their rebuilding effort.

like I said before, we'll see how dedicated you stay to the Mavs while they're bad. You claim to be a Raiders fan but can't stop chugging Vince Young & Donovan McNabb cock, so we see where your loyalties lie during rough times for your teams.
Still weak.

You sat around and chugged Randy Moss' cock in the years before he was a Patriot. What about the man crush you had on Michael Vick, as well as Vince Young? Forgot about those already? Or perhaps I should bring up the "I'm a Hawks fan" and the Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, and Marvin Williams love? Or perhaps your current love affair with Darren McFadden?

Kindly help yourself to a warm glass of shut the fuck up.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 08:59 AM
If you can deal with either of those things and still come out with optimism, then I consider that to be a loyal fan.
That's called being a blind homer, not a true fan. blind homers are almost as bad as bandwagoners. A true fan supports his team, but voices his displeasure when things aren't going right. A true fan sticks by them when they suck.

Support & love is something you give your team unconditionally, at all times. Optimism is something you offer only when the team gives you a reason to have it.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Still weak.

You sat around and chugged Randy Moss' cock in the years before he was a Patriot. What about the man crush you had on Michael Vick, as well as Vince Young? Forgot about those already? Or perhaps I should bring up the "I'm a Hawks fan" and the Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, and Marvin Williams love? Or perhaps your current love affair with Darren McFadden?

Kindly help yourself to a warm glass of shut the fuck up.
I know more about my team than any other team. I cheer harder for them than any other team. I have other teams I have an interest in, but I never let them interfere with the teams I love.

At this point you know more about the Eagles & Titans than you do about the Raiders. You sport McNabb & Young jerseys, but where's all your Raiders gear? Do you even have any?

ancestron
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM

With a screen name like MFFL, I guess you didn't give a shit until cuban bought the team. You're the bandwagon trash, my friend. I was screaming my lungs out in support of this team as they were getting plastered every night with Chris Gatling as their best player. You were probably rooting for the Lakers. So fuck off.

Says the guy whos team yesterday was the Lakers.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Says the guy whos team yesterday was the Lakers.
get back to me when you know what the fuck you're talking about. get back to me when you figure out what a forum bet is. until then you're an ignorant prick who doesn't need to post here.

san antonio spurs
03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
for a while I believed Mono and Stretch were the same person with identity disorder :lol
But they might be 2 people :corn:

stretch
03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I know more about my team than any other team. I cheer harder for them than any other team. I have other teams I have an interest in, but I never let them interfere with the teams I love.

At this point you know more about the Eagles & Titans than you do about the Raiders. You sport McNabb & Young jerseys, but where's all your Raiders gear? Do you even have any?
Actually I have a Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen jersey on the way. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to find Raider gear in Dallas.

And I still keep tabs mostly on the Raiders. as I've said before, just because I don't talk a lot about them, doesn't mean I don't keep up with them. Perhaps I'm actually capable of keeping up with multiple teams and knowing what the fuck I'm talking about, unlike yourself.

Do you even know shit about the history of the Patriots? I know my Raiders quite well, past and present. I've seen them go through periods of crap like Jeff George, then Rich Gannon, then back down to Rick Mirer. Stuck with them through year after year of 4-12, 5-11, up to 11-5 and a SB berth, only to have the stupid fucking coach throw the Superbowl down the drain because he was too stupid to even change a few of the playcalls from the previous season when Jon Gruden was coach. I been with them through the thick and thin (and especially thin here as of late). If you can't respect the fact that I still root for them, and are going to call me a bandwagonner, then I have nothing further to say for you. But I'm sure any other poster on the entire forum would have to give me props for sticking with them despite their recent god-awful struggles.

stretch
03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
for a while I believed Mono and Stretch were the same person with identity disorder :lol
But they might be 2 people :corn:
No, I'm just bored enough to sit here and have a fake argument with myself just to entertain other readers and keep people guessing.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Actually I have a Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen jersey on the way. Unfortunately, it's not very easy to find Raider gear in Dallas.
It wasn't easy to find a Bledsoe jersey in Dallas in 1995 as the Pats were getting slaughtered every week on their way to a 6-10 record and the Cowboys were winning the SB, but I managed. It's great that after all these years you'll actually show your face with throwback Raiders gear on, instead of another team's swag.

btw ur full of crap, I saw Randy Moss Raiders jerseys at every Champs in the DFW area up until they traded him.

san antonio spurs
03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
No, I'm just bored enough to sit here and have a fake argument with myself just to entertain other readers and keep people guessing.
fair enough. There is nothing wrong with it.

mabber
03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Even if the Mavs don't win this year, I can see them (as it's currently constructed) winning a title next year or the year after with a different coach. As long as they have Dirk & Josh in their prime it's really silly to say their era is over. They will always be a 50+ win team with those two in their prime.

I understand the frustration of the guy that started this thread but this era (whether they win a title or not) doesn't end with this season. That doesn't even make sense.

stretch
03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
It wasn't easy to find a Bledsoe jersey in Dallas in 1995 as the Pats were getting slaughtered every week on their way to a 6-10 record and the Cowboys were winning the SB, but I managed. It's great that after all these years you'll actually show your face with throwback Raiders gear on, instead of another team's swag.

btw ur full of crap, I saw Randy Moss Raiders jerseys at every Champs in the DFW area up until they traded him.
I didn't want a Randy Moss jersey though. I'm not going to buy something I don't want, just for the sake of having it for a debate on a fucking internet forum.

And even if someone asks me why I have a McNabb or Young jersey, I tell them "I liked them back when they were in college, and have remained fans, but I am truly a Raiders fan"

Either way, there is nothing wrong with being fans of players on other teams. I'm wondering now why you have to be a complete asshole just because other people disagree and feel that this season is still more than salvagable.

stretch
03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh, and its going to be a little easier to find a jersey of an elite, up-and-coming QB in the league (as Bledsoe was at the time), as opposed to Nnamdi Asomugha, or Thomas Howard.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm wondering now why you have to be a complete asshole just because other people disagree and feel that this season is still more than salvagable.
I'm not being an asshole because of that, I'm being an asshole because you decided to be a prick and say that I wasn't a true fan, when I'm the one that was rooting for this team in the 90's and you were the one that jumped aboard when they got good. Don't ever fucking question my dedication to this team, I've more than proven it.

Just because I feel this team's window for a title is completely shut and stated it, you get pissed off. You're the one being the prick. If you feel differently then just say so, like a lot of other people already have in this thread. Don't show your stupidity by claiming people who have rooted for this team much longer than you aren't loyal fans.

stretch
03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not being an asshole because of that, I'm being an asshole because you decided to be a prick and say that I wasn't a true fan, when I'm the one that was rooting for this team in the 90's and you were the one that jumped aboard when they got good. Don't ever fucking question my dedication to this team, I've more than proven it.
:rolleyes

... and now you show off your oversensitivity and inability to detect sarcasm.

Just because I feel this team's window for a title is completely shut and stated it, you get pissed off. You're the one being the prick. If you feel differently then just say so, like a lot of other people already have in this thread. Don't show your stupidity by claiming people who have rooted for this team much longer than you aren't loyal fans.

I'm not pissed off one bit. I just think it is ridiculous to say that with another month of basketball left to be played, that the season is over.

Not once did I say you were not a loyal fan. I don't question that one bit. I said your piss-poor attitude is a disgrace to loyal fans. The season ain't over till it's over... to think you would have learned that by now after the way the Patriots fucked their season up, despite having the Lombardi Trophy right in their laps for the taking. Or perhaps your beloved Red Sox coming back from being down 3-0 to the Yankees? Or the Mavs losing 2 at home against the Rockets, and coming back to win the series?

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Or perhaps your beloved Red Sox coming back from being down 3-0 to the Yankees?
:lol where did you get this from? I've always been a Rangers fan. I may have rooted for the Red Sox that series but only because of my absolute hate of the Yankees.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 10:06 AM
The season ain't over till it's over...
So you really think this team, with their gutless efforts and complete lack of focus, has a real shot?

Don't give me bullshit about their "potential" because that doesn't mean jack shit. Based on RESULTS, do you really think this team can win three straight series' on the road?

stretch
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
:lol where did you get this from? I've always been a Rangers fan. I may have rooted for the Red Sox that series but only because of my absolute hate of the Yankees.
Right... :rolleyes

stretch
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
So you really think this team, with their gutless efforts and complete lack of focus, has a real shot?

Yes.

Don't give me bullshit about their "potential" because that doesn't mean jack shit.

It does.

Based on RESULTS, do you really think this team can win three straight series' on the road?

Yes.

clambake
03-19-2008, 10:19 AM
dallas offense went back to "run down, stand around and watch".

now, i don't know who's fault that is, but the look on cubans face makes me think he has an opinion.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
The glory years of the Mavs ruined by this man

http://givemetherock.com/images/mavericks/avery_johnson_professor_x.jpg

:rolleyes :rolleyes It is fucked up how all of a sudden Mav fans are turning on Avery. I agree he does deserve some of the blame but the rest of the team is also at fault. Win or lose it's a TEAM game! Without Avery, this team stays a shitty defensive team rather than a pretty good one. We wouldnt have beaten the Spurs without his coaching. Everyone is to blame from the head coach all the way down to the 12th man.

On that note, I am going to bump this thread when the Mavericks are crowned 2008 Champions in June! I believe in this team more than ever (including the past 2 seasons). The Jason Kidd trade convinced me that they get it done this year one way or another. LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! 2008 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes.

It does.

Yes.
It's good to see that you're done defending this team. Keep believing in hopes & dreams, I'd rather base my beliefs on the hard evidence.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
This thread is exactly right, I'm a positive fan but I'm not stupid. This team cannot win a championship, they are always against all odds in every game- Dirk can't get calls, Refs hate Cuban, teams have extra motivation to play them, and Avery Johnson is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. Words cannot describe how much I hate Avery Johnson. If this team even wants a chance to sniff a ring they better fire avery, or else J-kidd and Dirk are going to be ringless when they retire.

stretch
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
It's good to see that you're done defending this team. Keep believing in hopes & dreams, I'd rather base my beliefs on the hard evidence.
Hard evidence is that it is not over, until it is over.

The Nba Is Rigged
03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
:rolleyes :rolleyes It is fucked up how all of a sudden Mav fans are turning on Avery. I agree he does deserve some of the blame but the rest of the team is also at fault. Win or lose it's a TEAM game! Without Avery, this team stays a shitty defensive team rather than a pretty good one. We wouldnt have beaten the Spurs without his coaching. Everyone is to blame from the head coach all the way down to the 12th man.

On that note, I am going to bump this thread when the Mavericks are crowned 2008 Champions in June! I believe in this team more than ever (including the past 2 seasons). The Jason Kidd trade convinced me that they get it done this year one way or another. LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! 2008 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

I understand that you want to be optimistic but you must be pretty crazy if you think we can win with Avery. He screws us every year.

LEONARD
03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
*bookmarked*

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd love for the pom-pom waving Mav fan crowd to give me one good reason to believe that this team is capable of winning a championship.

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd love for the pom-pom waving Mav fan crowd to give me one good reason to believe that this team is capable of winning a championship.

There's no reason for optimism right now.

Findog
03-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Beating Boston and San Antonio wouldn't reassure me of anything. Their coach is still a Napoleonic moron and the players don't hustle for 48 minutes in must-win games.

This team has a lot of potential, but they just can't put it together.

stretch
03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Give me one good reason to believe that we should give up on this team. And don't talk about previous losses in the playoffs, as we have perfect examples of that in the old Lakers days, who constantly got their asses kicked by Boston, but eventually won it all. How about Isaiah's Pistons getting owned for several years by the Lakers, or Jordan's Bulls getting owned for a number of years by the Celtics and the Pistons? And there are plenty more examples like that...

Findog
03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
The Mavs have put themselves behind the 8-ball. Assuming we even make the playoffs, I'll be pessimistic about their ability to get out of the first round. The only way I could be even cautiously optimistic is if they do the following:

- Win the next three home games against the Celtics, Spurs and Clippers. All we've demonstrated with Kidd is that we can beat bad teams and lose close games to good ones. The time for moral victories is over. We have to start winning our fair share of games against elite teams. I said beforehand I would be satisfied with getting 2 out of 3 against the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs. That's still possible, but there is no more margin for error. Dallas has to do exactly what Phoenix did against San Antonio two weeks ago: play with urgency as if you're facing elimination. The Suns wouldn't have just lost a game in the standings, it would've been a psychological blow to make that trade and still be unable to beat the Spurs. They saved their season for the time being with that win.

- Take two of three games on the road against Denver, Golden State and the Clippers. The Clippers are a gimme, they have to get a split of the other two.

- Come home and beat the Warriors when Golden State is playing the 2nd night of a B2B.

- Split the two road games against the Lakers and Suns.

- Sweep the two home games against the Sonics and Jazz. Seattle is a gimme, while the Jazz are a shitty road team.

- At the very least get a split of the two roadies against Portland and Seattle. I'm actually inclined to say they have to get these two as well.

- Beat New Orleans at home in the season finale.

I'm guessing 52 wins gets us into the playoffs. Two games apiece against the Clippers and Sonics gets us to 48 wins. That leaves us needing to win 4 of the other 10 games. A team with a chance to win a title will win 6-8 of those games.

Findog
03-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Can they do what I laid out above? At present, I don't see how they can. 52 wins is a prescription for the 7 seed and losing to the Lakers 4-1. But if they can pull that off, they give themselves a fighting chance.

Gino
03-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Beating Boston and San Antonio wouldn't reassure me of anything. Their coach is still a Napoleonic moron and the players don't hustle for 48 minutes in must-win games.

This team has a lot of potential, but they just can't put it together.

Who are we talking about? Popovic or Rivers?

Findog
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Who are we talking about? Popovic or Rivers?

Avery. I was referring to the Mavs in your bolded parts.

Boston and San Antonio > Dallas.

sribb43
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Can they do what I laid out above? At present, I don't see how they can. 52 wins is a prescription for the 7 seed and losing to the Lakers 4-1. But if they can pull that off, they give themselves a fighting chance.

5-8 seed = just about automatic early exit to playoffs..people who think the mavs will win a 1st round series on the road when they cant win on the road all season need to take off their rose colored glasses

Findog
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
5-8 seed = just about automatic early exit to playoffs..people who think the mavs will win a 1st round series on the road when they cant win on the road all season need to take off their rose colored glasses

Yep. We have roadies left against Denver, Golden State, Phoenix and LA. Win two of those, and I'll be cautiously optimistic about what they can do in the playoffs. Otherwise, we're probably better off getting to keep our pick and miss out on the playoffs.

mavs>spurs2
03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, first off while everyone is pointing their fingers and calling eachother bandwagon fans, I'd like to proudly say that I've been a Mav fan since I was old enough to enjoy basketball. I've been a Mav fan since Finley came to the team in i believe 94-95 and was there for a few years during the shit years when our win column was in the 20's for the season. I was there during the Rodman year, and remember having my heart crushed when we finished that year on a downward skid at 40-42 and finished with I think the 9th seed. Since then i've watched this team blossom into a perennial contender only to always somehow come up short.

Now when I say that I don't want to give up on this team, I sincerely mean this for a few reasons. First off, we now have the best point guard that this team has ever seen. Nash was good but he wasn't the same MVP caliber Nash he is today and his (along with Finley's) terrible perimeter defense made it clear that we were never going to win a championship with that lineup. Kidd brings leadership and passing that we needed so desperately in both 06 against Miami and last year against Golden State. I just can't see Kidd standing around and letting us lose to Golden State had he been on the team last year without at least beating someones wife. Secondly, Erica Dampier has been playing his best ball as a Maverick and is actually looking like an NBA center. All Mav fans know that a double double out of Dampier almost always ensures us a victory. When Dampier serves his purpose by blocking a couple shots, grabbing rebounds, and at least making his lay ups the Mavs instantly become a much better team. I also believe that this years team is the deepest team we've had yet. Magliore/Allen are much better than Mbenga/Diop even if they're only counted on to go out and use up their 5 fouls. Terry provides a strong punch off the bench much like Ginobili does for San Antonio. On paper this is a very good team and although that doesn't mean shit, as long as that potential is there it's always possible that they will wake up and become the Mavericks we knew pre-Miami series, especially with Kidd in charge.

monosylab1k
03-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Give me one good reason to believe that we should give up on this team.
you don't have to give up on them if you don't want to, but their performance this season speaks for itself. The teams they lose to, and the manner in which they lose. They play like gutless cowards for 30 minutes, then finally show some balls for the last 18 minutes.

I guess the best thing I can say about last night is that they did play with fire for 18 minutes, since there's been a lot of nights where it's been 48 minutes of gutless pussy play.